Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    I've always back Sandgaard, but the end of this window has done me. He hasn't got the resources, god knows what would happen if we got to the championship. 

For us to compete properly, he needs to sell. 
    to who?

i think we are at least in a safe pair of hands with TS at the moment.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Buy an expensive car but don't bother with a spare tyre or breakdown cover as they cost a lot and you might not need them.

Yet again Sandgaard over promises and under delivers.

And I don't just mean Thomas.

Martin was telling all and sundry, it seems, on Wednesday night about McG turning down a move to Wrexham and that Clare was available for £2m plus we were after this and that. Did he learn nothing from the Washington fiasco?

Meanwhile, Thomas was giving unnecessary updates on the OS before the window had closed.

Yes, deals fall through, yes, every team's fans (bar Forest) always want one more signing than they get but while this is a decent squad and can, bar the injuries already plaguing it, compete it has obvious weaknesses, acknowledged by TS in his latest vanity statement, that haven't been  addressed.

The whole break even mantra is nonsense as it's based as much on increasing income as reducing costs but the club just lost its third biggest sponsor (Sandgaard’s words) in Robots DAO, an ill thought out and damaging deal that smacked of desperation and lack of diligence anyway.

Fill the Valley. Admirable but unrealistic especially given the ticket prices so that just leaves cuts in spending.

And the only place where significant savings can be made, because it is by far the biggest area of spending, is player costs.

And if you cut player spending then you end up with a half decent squad but without experienced cover up front or on one side of defence relying on very promising but as yet untested kids to fill the gaps.

Which is where we are, sadly but unnecessarily, now.

Supporting Charlton has rarely been easy and this is not the worst team or the worst situation even in this century but it is still bloody depressing when you realise how close we could be with just a little less conversation and a little more, positive, action, please.
    Very well said. 
    Very well said indeed, and long live the car buying comparison. I look forward to its full debut in January. 

😉
  • sam3110 said:
    Hahahahaha for all of you saying "patience" and "wait until the window closes", where are you now?!

Absolute chancers
    This in spades......and more spades.

Week after week I kept being told we have until Sept 1st to finalise our transfer dealings.

Why dont people listen when I say you want to get your players in early. I bet some posters on here wait until xmas day to buy their loved ones some presents & end up having to buy an ice scraper or driving gloves from the petrol garage.

Utter shambles. 
    Golfie. I wish you could have said this years ago, would have saved me a fortune on not buying Christmas presents!
  • Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    All that talk about data, about lists of players and targets they've been working on for months, about being well-prepared for transfer windows now and it gets to deadline day and all they've got is former player Macauley Bonne. It really is farcical. 
    This is really the story - we talk about data and sign two very promising loanees from the PL, three players from the manager’s former club and two others who will have been well known on the scouting circuit, neither of whom have yet pulled up any trees or are likely to do so at this stage of their career. What does Martin do again?

I’m not defending Gallen, but at least he has a football background. He can’t perform miracles if the owner can’t or won’t pay.

Wollacott and the two loanees look good. The others we’ll have to see about over the course of the season.
    Churlish to withhold praise from EOC and Payne imo. They've been, on the whole, good
    There’s always a rush to judgement on signings. I was guilty of it on Clare and Dobson who turned out to be good signings. Too soon to say for me.
    Is it not too soon to comment on Wollacott and the loans then? 
    I thin the two loanees are in a different class to the other signings, don't you? 
    Bit unfair to hold up other signings to that of Rak-Sayki though don't you think. Just because it looks like he is going to be 'very very good', does not mean our other signings are not just 'very good'. 

Either way, at this early stage I would argue that O'Connell (apart from a two game blip), followed by Wollacott, have been our best signings. O'Connell may not be as flashy as other signings, but if 'Garnerball' really starts join together nicely it will be in no small part to him.

Also, as cliche as it sounds, I would also argue that Kirk is kinda like a new signing for us as well, and we all know how good he has been for us so far.

Either way, it's nice to be actually able to talk about some exciting looking players, even with the fuck up that was deadline day.

No, because I was making the point that the loanees' ability level is clearly going to be higher than that of the free transfers we've signed from L2 and, in one case, L1 - in response to the question of why I was prepared to judge them (and Wollacott).

Any or all of the other players may do well. I'll hazard a guess that they won't do well enough to get us promoted, which is the object of the exercise. 
    But, and to use someone who plays in the same position, we could have signed Marcus Harness for 650,000, and his level is more than likely clearly going to be higher than his.

The equation is the same, he will likely always be in a different class to almost most players at this level.  
  • J BLOCK said:
    ButtleJR said:
    not sure if posted previously... Now removed 
    Wanker
    Assuming my interpretation of that is correct as a dig at us, I'm glad we have dodged him. Total cretin. I'd rather play teenagers up front.
  • seth plum said:
    I reckon TS is short of money for us. Events like getting rid of people indicate this.
    Ben Garner has to play the hand he’s got.
    If Garner isn’t positive about that then he should leave.
    The remaining question is if there is anybody with the resources to take over the club.
    I doubt there is anybody, so maybe the choice is the situation we have now or no club at all.

Personally I have felt uplifted by the U21 game on Tuesday, and the silly buggers cup game on Wednesday, and the transfer window shenanigans will not diminish that feeling.
    Provided we still continue to play well and get actual results it is easy to enjoy this season, starting with trying to follow the progress of our U21’s at Barnsley at 2pm this afternoon.
    Tomorrow at Bolton is a must win and not a day for miserable excuses.
    The spectre at the feast is not whether we signed anybody yesterday, but potential and actual injuries.
    I definitely think the club is short of money. I’d expect some movement in come January but I get the impression we’ll be selling too and I don’t mean a couple of fringe players.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    Regardless of any argument around footballing ability why did our recruitment experts want to sign a player with that mentality and immaturity. It is absolutely remarkable.
  • J BLOCK said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Wanker
    Thank fuck we didn’t sign him blokes a cnut 
    I dunno, he got so much targeted abuse online yesterday for the crime of nearly being signed for Charlton that I can understand the reaction. It's a stupid thing for him to do but I can imagine if I got hours upon hours of randoms telling me I was shit at my job in lurid detail I'd probably struggle not to have a word back.
    :)  
  • edited September 2022
  • seth plum said:
    I reckon TS is short of money for us. Events like getting rid of people indicate this.
    The remaining question is if there is anybody with the resources to take over the club.
    I doubt there is anybody, so maybe the choice is the situation we have now or no club at all.

Personally I have felt uplifted by the U21 game on Tuesday, and the silly buggers cup game on Wednesday, and the transfer window shenanigans will not diminish that feeling.
    Provided we still continue to play well and get actual results it is easy to enjoy this season, starting with trying to follow the progress of our U21’s at Barnsley at 2pm this afternoon.
    The spectre at the feast is not whether we signed anybody yesterday, but potential and actual injuries.
    I definitely think the club is short of money. I’d expect some movement in come January but I get the impression we’ll be selling too and I don’t mean a couple of fringe players.
    Most of best players will have 6 month left on their contracts in January. No one's going to be paying significant sums for them at that point.
  • edited September 2022
    Depressing end to a window, but overall it's not as bad as some are saying.

Yes, an injury to a CB might mean playing Clare there. If not, Elerewe (not Elerwe) has shown promise, as has Ness. You wouldn't want them up against the best L1 sides at this stage, but against a lower ranked side I think they'd be fine.

My concern is Stockley. We need better for a real promotion push, or we at least need Aneke to rise miraculously from the treatment table and put some minutes in. Leaburn looks better at home than away. Kanu is a finisher, and might be worth giving more minutes to, perhaps away from home? How about CBT as a 9, with his pace? Failing that, a false nine might be worth a try if Stockley and Aneke are out? Or maybe play with Kirk, Rak-Sakyi and CBT up top and allow them freedom to switch it up? Something unpredictable that might unsettle teams. 

As others have said, we have good players due to come back from injury. Let's see how it works out when they do before writing off our season.

• What's that Bonne image meant to mean?
  • ButtleJR said:
    If that’s for real he deserves even more abuse. He knew he wasn’t wanted here and is revelling in the outcry of fans.
    what a prize tosser
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Didn’t Yann sign as a free agent? 
    He did, but I think he’s in his 40’s,  might have lost a yard of pace now though.
  • Look at the positive - it's only 18 games 'til the window opens again. And 23 'til it slams shut again!
  • So how have we gone from solid fees for Kirk / Fraser / Aneke to the scenario we cannot add strength to our weaknesses? 

All we can do now is support Garner and the team/kids. Things will never be perfect at Charlton it seems. We are only allowed 50-60% happiness! 
  • So frustrated last night, sitting there waiting for something to happen.

• Rothko said:
    Didn’t Yann sign as a free agent? 
    He did, but I think he’s in his 40’s,  might have lost a yard of pace now though.

Would probably still get in the team lol
  • Chunes said:
    Not sure what Macauley's laughing at, QPR fans don't want him either. 3 goals in 37.
    He's laughing at the living he's nicking off them.
  • seth plum said:

Most of best players will have 6 month left on their contracts in January. No one's going to be paying significant sums for them at that point.
    Does that mean we won’t sell then ? 
  • I feel like that all of free agents are going to be major gambles who are not going to be anywhere near match fit.

Happy to be wrong on this, but could easily be a month plus before any of them could meaningfully contribute. If they can't do 90 minutes, the point of having them as cover is severely reduced.