Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited September 2022
    Not bothering with reading the 600+ posts since i went to bed, and reading the post headlines assume all went according to plan then and we got sod all as usual..not even Bonne...🤷‍♂️
    WHY ARE WE SO BLOODY PREDICTABLE EVERY WINDOW..we must be the laughing stock of our neighbours and we all know who they are...God I am so pissed off....
  • Just hope dangermouse is okay - got images of him collapsing on the fax machine having gorged on sugary snacks 
  • Not pleased with the depth of squad it’s short like it has been for the last few years. I wasn’t impressed with the capture of garner and said he would be gone by Christmas. 
    But what I’ve seen so far he and the team have impressed me 
    he had gone the same formation as Adkins and I feared the worse. 
    But unlike Adkins team we look like we can score. 
    The wide players are getting in at the far post which didn’t happen before the full backs are over lapping or inverting with the wide players. 
    (Under Adkins they got to half way line then started playing backwards. )
    The youngsters(Clayden leaburn) have come into the team and looked so confident you think they had played 50 games. 
    Morgan looks more confident under garner. 
    Stockley isnt  going to score 20 goals under this system but don’t mean his not doing a job at Wycombe he had the 2 centre backs all over him. If his taking 2 players out the  game his doing a job for me.
    We’ve had big centre forwards before that haven’t hit 20 goals in a season and got promoted (John Pearson leaburn senior) 
    it’s not the system stockley will want to play but under garner it looks possible we look threatening where with Adkins we didn’t. 
    Praise to garner impressed me so far but his got a limited budget. It’s nothing new at Charlton curbs and gritt had it Lennie had it it’s nothing new and in the way the economy is going I can’t blame Thomas for tightening his belt. 
    Against the odds is how it always been at Charlton. 
  • We are running a real risk of Leaburn putting himself in the December shop window. 

Maybe that's part of the plan. 

Oh well, at least Charlton Life has had a wakeup call from debates like whether we would take Taylor back etc. We are not a club on any player's radar of interest. 
  • Just looked on Transfermarket and Diego Costa is without a club. Can he still run?
  • Sage said:
    Best to not say anything regarding today.

Time to scroll through the list of names out of contract.

Can see us looking at players like Niasse, Winnall, McNulty, and Thiam.

Hardly inspiring.
    Vaz Tae and Leon Best spring to mind...
  • So we have two EFL clubs 12 miles distant, presumably with good direct lines of communication and possibly with contacts who know each other.  And yet the deal still collapses at the last minute in the dead of night? 

My suspicions would be aroused if the deal couldn't be completed by midday - or at least during office hours.  Would like to think feelers were going out for options B,C and D by mid afternoon - assuming there were other options? 

• Sponsored links:

• Whilst busy navel gazing at matter's Charlton yesterday, I paid little attention to what was happening at other Club's. If there are a number of players under contract for the remainder of this season who are unwanted by their Club and don't want to be there, eg Bonne, is it not possible some could become free agents if a mutual agreement can be reached to cancel their contracts. Don't know how many might be in this boat, but if we move too quickly 🤣 we might miss out on those who become available.
  • Absolutely shocked about yesterday.  Was expecting 2X incomings (as per rumours) so was feeling relatively confident about the squad, even though I thought we could do with another experienced LB and perhaps a different option in CM.  To sign no-one did not even cross my mind.  

The squad is now woefully thin, especially in CB - if O'C or Lavelle get injured, we are genuinely struggling to fill that gap which is inexcusable.  The window started well - we seemed to be going about our business professionally, signing players carefully to fit the system.  It's ended like a horror show.  Why leave it until the last minute?  I do not understand. 

Anyhow, moving swiftly on - free agents - Vyrda and Winnall - any other options?
  • Well, transfer deadline day, what's to be said. I think I will borrow a phrase from an "expert" talking about Russia's invasion of Ukraine. It's a self-licking ice-cream cone of failure.
  • felix_31 said:
    Absolutely shocked about yesterday.  Was expecting 2X incomings (as per rumours) so was feeling relatively confident about the squad, even though I thought we could do with another experienced LB and perhaps a different option in CM.  To sign no-one did not even cross my mind.  

The squad is now woefully thin, especially in CB - if O'C or Lavelle get injured, we are genuinely struggling to fill that gap which is inexcusable.  The window started well - we seemed to be going about our business professionally, signing players carefully to fit the system.  It's ended like a horror show.  Why leave it until the last minute?  I do not understand. 

Anyhow, moving swiftly on - free agents - Vyrda and Winnall - any other options?
    Don't normally do this, but 100% this.
  • Buy an expensive car but don't bother with a spare tyre or breakdown cover as they cost a lot and you might not need them.

Yet again Sandgaard over promises and under delivers.

And I don't just mean Thomas.

Martin was telling all and sundry, it seems, on Wednesday night about McG turning down a move to Wrexham and that Clare was available for £2m plus we were after this and that. Did he learn nothing from the Washington fiasco?

Meanwhile, Thomas was giving unnecessary updates on the OS before the window had closed.

Yes, deals fall through, yes, every team's fans (bar Forest) always want one more signing than they get but while this is a decent squad and can, bar the injuries already plaguing it, compete it has obvious weaknesses, acknowledged by TS in his latest vanity statement, that haven't been  addressed.

The whole break even mantra is nonsense as it's based as much on increasing income as reducing costs but the club just lost its third biggest sponsor (Sandgaard’s words) in Robots DAO, an ill thought out and damaging deal that smacked of desperation and lack of diligence anyway.

Fill the Valley. Admirable but unrealistic especially given the ticket prices so that just leaves cuts in spending.

And the only place where significant savings can be made, because it is by far the biggest area of spending, is player costs.

And if you cut player spending then you end up with a half decent squad but without experienced cover up front or on one side of defence relying on very promising but as yet untested kids to fill the gaps.

Which is where we are, sadly but unnecessarily, now.

Supporting Charlton has rarely been easy and this is not the worst team or the worst situation even in this century but it is still bloody depressing when you realise how close we could be with just a little less conversation and a little more, positive, action, please.
    The recent history of our club is of missed opportunities. The goal is open for a split second and we baloon it over the bar. Powell, Bowyer and now Garner just needed a bit of backing. Nothing silly, but sensible targeted backing.

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    I hear the government has made a transfer deadline day swoop and is set to unveil an offensive right winger. 
  • Let's be honest. We didn't appoint a manager until 8th June even though I firmly believe Sandgaard knew he wanted to change managers months before that. We were totally lethargic. There was no coherent plan. It won't ruin a season but it will immediately put us at a critical and fundamentally unnecessary disadvantage which we then need to work out how to overcome - especially when you factor in the high degree of squad churn and the total change in footballing style between JJ and Garner.

I'd like to get the odds on us struggling up front in the first half of the season and then forced by a combination of Aneke's injuries, deadline day disappointment and fan pressure; we decide to lash £400k at the nearest forward that moves and is available in lower L1/L2 - might work out/might not but it will be overpaying and a rush job compared to what long term, sustainable and strategic recruitment elongated throughout an entire summer would achieve.

We've spent decent fees in all Sandgaard's January windows so far (Schwartz, Aneke, Fraser) - I make it a reasonable likelihood.

Breaking even in this league for a club our size is less plausible than the plotlines of most Disney films. I don't want reckless spending but if the incumbents do not understand that they won't get into a viable break even territory (Championship) without sensible speculation to get there, or don't want to - please can they just come out and admit it.
  • Washington didn’t necessarily have to be replaced.  We play 1 less striker than last season so he was replaced by an additional midfielder.

Numbers wise we are only a centre back short.
    Not when Aneke is one of the two strikers. We’re a full back short too but Garner will have to use Clayden there who in fairness has done ok. 
  • swordfish said:
    Whilst busy navel gazing at matter's Charlton yesterday, I paid little attention to what was happening at other Club's. If there are a number of players under contract for the remainder of this season who are unwanted by their Club and don't want to be there, eg Bonne, is it not possible some could become free agents if a mutual agreement can be reached to cancel their contracts. Don't know how many might be in this boat, but if we move too quickly 🤣 we might miss out on those who become available.

They have to be released, so, unattached during the window in order to sign outside of it as a free.
  • Valley11 said:
    Speculating about Stockton and May for the last few days and ending up with Bonne is like wanting a Sega Mega Drive for Christmas and ending up with a satsuma from the living room fruit bowl. 
    Didn’t even end up with the bloody satsuma…..!
  • We are probably 1-2 seasons off of having a number of academy players ready to compete consistently at this level and higher. That's a really exciting prospect, especially with Garner bringing them into his system.

The worry for me now, given the model we seem to be falling into, is whether we'll be at to keep hold of them for any time (Garner included) and whether we'll get real value based on their potential if we do sell.

If we're looking to make short term savings, I think there's a risk of losing young talents before they realise their potential for the club, both in a football sense and financially.