Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Rothko said:
    Didn’t Yann sign as a free agent? 
    Oi … stop putting a positive spin on this miserable transfer window
  • I despair at some of the people/depressives on here. So we didn't get a deal for MB over the line through no fault of our own. It happens. Grow up. Notwithstanding I remain quietly confident that this will be a very good season. After all the signs have been there for weeks on the pitch, where it matters. Even the youngsters are showing that if needs be they can step up.
    I would be optimistic if I had 100 pounds on us going up as well
  • Not even a satsuma off the kitchen table in a sock out of the wash bin 
  • A very disappointing end to the transfer window. 
    I believe Garner is a decent manager and if we gave him the extra couple of players we need to challenge for the top six ( striker and centre half  ) then most of us would be happy. 
    As things stand we are going to finish mid table in the 3rd division and another opportunity wasted. 
    Still there's nothing we can do about it as it's not us paying the bills. 
    I just hope that when Guitar boy decides he's had enough that there will be someone out there prepared to pick up the pieces. 
    Sums my feelings up perfectly mate, another opportunity wasted, particularly as some of our competitors have strengthened their squads.
  • Bad deadline day. As others have said, missed the opportunity to make this an excellent window. Needed a striker. CB we may get lucky and have only 1 injury at a time, in which case we may be ok, but we don't have that luxury up front which is why this was the priority. But I'm confused at those who are writing off the season. Overall it's been a good window and we're playing good football. We have a team we can get behind again. Think we'll have more good days than bad this year which is a massive step up. And those quoting 17 out 7 in as a negative really need to look at the 17, and the comments about clear outs from last year. Happy with all that have gone, bar none. 
    But proper annoyed at the absence of a few-hundred thousand bid to get us a proper choice up front. 
  • I’m preparing the register - if you’re on it, you’re partly to blame 
  • Sponsored links:

• People saying shambles

dontou believe we started our striker search yesterday morning? Do you not think we worked through a list of targets? They either moved elsewhere, cost too high, didn't want to come etc. we had a forward in the building and the parent club moved the goal post at the last minute.

with the defender, it would be interesting to see what happened there. Maybe we pulled out because the manager and coaching staff have had three months to look at ness and think he is a good back up option.

frustrating, yes. Disappointing, yes. Shambolic, definitely not
    Washington left over 3 months ago.
    He should have been replaced and he wasn't. 
    Leaving it until transfer deadline day was idiotic to say the least. 
    The 95% comment on Wednesday was idiotic. I think we put all our eggs in the Simpson basket and then he went elsewhere. 

I have no problem with waiting for the right player but there should have been a cut off point. We should have had a plan b, c, d etc lined up and in motion.

the striker was never going to be signed to rival stockley in my view. The emergence of leaburn could mean we are looking for a 4th choice, who would sign up to those terms.

on the basis of the guy being 4th  choice, I'm happy with a free agent on a short contract.
  • Washington didn’t necessarily have to be replaced.  We play 1 less striker than last season so he was replaced by an additional midfielder.

Numbers wise we are only a centre back short.
    What I will say is if we are dipping into the free agent market it should be done quick because we’re only a O’Connell injury away from a defensive catastrophe.  The free agent is likely to be unfit so will need a few weeks of training.  
  • People saying shambles

dontou believe we started our striker search yesterday morning? Do you not think we worked through a list of targets? They either moved elsewhere, cost too high, didn't want to come etc. we had a forward in the building and the parent club moved the goal post at the last minute.

with the defender, it would be interesting to see what happened there. Maybe we pulled out because the manager and coaching staff have had three months to look at ness and think he is a good back up option.

frustrating, yes. Disappointing, yes. Shambolic, definitely not
    Washington left over 3 months ago.
    He should have been replaced and he wasn't. 
    Leaving it until transfer deadline day was idiotic to say the least. 
    The 95% comment on Wednesday was idiotic. I think we put all our eggs in the Simpson basket and then he went elsewhere. 

I have no problem with waiting for the right player but there should have been a cut off point. We should have had a plan b, c, d etc lined up and in motion.

the striker was never going to be signed to rival stockley in my view. The emergence of leaburn could mean we are looking for a 4th choice, who would sign up to those terms.

on the basis of the guy being 4th  choice, I'm happy with a free agent on a short contract.
    But it's not 4th choice really. Aneke is always injured and Leaburn is yoof. It's 2nd choice we're trying to find, pushing 1st choice. 

Bear in mind the 95% comment was in a 121 conversation, not a public statement. 

I totally agree on the cut off though. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Not even a satsuma off the kitchen table in a sock out of the wash bin 
    When's the article being published 😅
  • Sponsored links:

• I wasnt a fan of Bonne coming in but bottom line is, we needed a striker and now we are potentially up shit creek. 

Wont say TS and co are to blame though...goalposts being moved by QPR is unprofessional and in fairness to Bonne, bad for his career as he isnt going to play much there.

Hopefully there are free agents that have some potential or QPR let Bonne go so he can join us but after there actions last night, I highly doubt it! 
  • TN15 said:
    This owner is a joke.
    Why?

cN you not read. Qpr changed the terms after Bonne passed a medical.

do you want to explain why you feel that is the owners fault?
    The list of why he is a joke is endless. Going after Bonne is a joke in itself. Signing Aneke......I could go on and on
  • On wednesday night we saw how good some of our youngsters are.As long as we dont get a mass of injuries to senior players,these lads can step in and play alongside and will not look out of place.Would Bonne score more goals than Leaburn this year,would a journeyman CB be better cover than Ness.Henry looks as though he is waiting for that opportunity of a run in the team.Used correctly these lads will do the job ,no panic from me over the non signings.
    Probably come across as sarcasm because the majority are nursing deadline day hangovers but I’m with you on this 👍🏻 
  • Overall I think it was a good transfer window with the players brought in and have shown they can play to our new ethos. However, last nights transfer window closure was disappointing for a number of reasons. Firstly, we didn’t get the centre half and centre forward to improve our squad and allow depth in cover, especially for injury prone players in both positions, Innis and Aneke. Secondly, and I’m not one that knows a lot about the internal politics of the club, but the lack of transfer activity might suggest Sandgaard is looking at doing things on the cheap. This is evident in the lack of funds spent on players this window and his baffling decisions on releasing decent long standing Charlton staff either being inadequately replaced or even not at all. 

A positive of the lack of deadline day recruitment is that it means there is more opportunity for the likes of Leaburn, Ness and Henry to get game time. I, like other Charlton fans, like to see the academy players brought through the ranks. Maybe they’re not ready but those three have already shown they can fit in. Had we brought in two more players for the two positions we were looking to fill, it would only move Leaburn and Ness further down the pecking order and we might not see them get more opportunities this season.
  • edited September 2022
    On wednesday night we saw how good some of our youngsters are.As long as we dont get a mass of injuries to senior players,these lads can step in and play alongside and will not look out of place.Would Bonne score more goals than Leaburn this year,would a journeyman CB be better cover than Ness.Henry looks as though he is waiting for that opportunity of a run in the team.Used correctly these lads will do the job ,no panic from me over the non signings.
    But the manager wanted more signings and he wasn't being unrealistic given that we're comfortably under the squad number limit. It's his arse on the line if results drop off and he's been let down, no question.

I admire your optimism and hope the "you'll never win anything with kids" Hansen'ism works for us as it did for Man U back in the day.
  • Went to bed last night straight after the statement dropped.  It was a disappointing day, we rode the roller coaster of rumour and expected a signing even if it was one we were less than enamoured with.  But some of the anger is a bit OTT,  we are a third tier club we aren't a glamour club that players are desperate to join.  Even Man Utd can no longer sign whoever they want.

The great Curbs often said "It is what it is." He also used to say "Don't get too high with the highs or too low with the lows". I have caught up with this thread walking the dog, I read it out to him and now he is on suicide watch.

I am upset and annoyed but their are worse things in the world than be disappointed in Charlton and dealings in the transfer market, yet again.