Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• IR94 said:
    TS wants out, I’m convinced of that, not just because of today but because of the serious cost cutting going on that really does beggar belief. If any more cuts are made it will seriously affect our ability to function as a proper football club off the pitch.
    we are getting asset stripped
    That isn’t what I’m saying at all is it? I’m talking of cutting operating costs to the bare, bare bones. It started with the likes of Mumford etc but has worked its way down the pyramid. It shows with TS, MS and Raelynn running the show. It’s a family affair and soon it’ll be just them and a barely functioning skeleton staff, plus burger boy of course.
  • I don't agree with the comments from Gallen about only wanting players who will improve the team, as in the case of the centre back position in particular, we need an extra body. Obviously it would be great to sign a CB better than our current 3, but we don't NEED that, we just need someone who can play the position when we have injuries and suspensions, which will happen.

That 4th choice loan player only NEEDS to be better than Ness and Elewere.
    Thought exactly the same as I was listening. I think that applies at CB and up top to be honest. 

I don’t even think the CB needs to be better than Deji. It’s just better if he’s getting game time elsewhere and our 4th choice CB is just a reserve. Although with Inniss it’s probably better to pick up someone who is essentially a 3rd choice option. 
  • I don't agree with the comments from Gallen about only wanting players who will improve the team, as in the case of the centre back position in particular, we need an extra body. Obviously it would be great to sign a CB better than our current 3, but we don't NEED that, we just need someone who can play the position when we have injuries and suspensions, which will happen.

That 4th choice loan player only NEEDS to be better than Ness and Elewere.
    I've not seen the video but trying to get in a CB more mobile and better on the ball than Inniss and Lavelle is a laudable aim. I don't think either suit the system that well.

Ness has looked pretty good to me so far, and I know he's highly regarded. Deji looks like a potentially quite good but still raw defender. If you'd told me midway through the summer that the two of them would be co-fourth choice I wouldn't have been that bothered by it really.

I'm still more concerned at fullback. Clayden looks good going forward but still raw positionally. Chin looks promising. But I don't think either are as ready as Ness and Deji.

The CB situation would be okay if we looked deeper at other positions, namely fullback and striker. As it stands, I think we're 2-3 light. 
  • edited September 2022
    SDAddick said:
    IR94 said:
    TS wants out, I’m convinced of that, not just because of today but because of the serious cost cutting going on that really does beggar belief. If any more cuts are made it will seriously affect our ability to function as a proper football club off the pitch.
    we are getting asset stripped
    No we're not. 

I know people are disappointed, and rightly so, but we brought in a new manager and seven players who all seem like they could be good additions in this window. Did we come up short? Yes. But asset striping means selling off anything that can be sold. And we didn't sell, we bought. 
    We didn’t buy anyone (other than Garner and Marshall) but yeah asset stripping is way too far. We’ve kept hold of a few first team players we could get fees for and the likes of Leaburn/Henry. 
    Sorry I meant buy in the business sense, as in we're acquiring assets. Right we didn't buy anyone with a fee this summer. But we still have quite a few on the books who cost a fee, especially for this level (Aneke, Lavelle, Stockley, Clare, JFC though Pre-TS, Gilbey pre-TS and on loan, DJ, Kirk, Fraser). 
  • When did the Transfer Window business judged by fans/pundits/media become the definition of a successful season rather than what is actually happening on the pitch? See social media fans celebrating what a great transfer window club has had..... After 5 games said team has 4 points 
  • The CB free agents market looks quite bleak. Guessing we'll end up with Thomas or the glorious return of a 35 year old Martin Crainie.

Gary Cahill and Michael Hector are available at the upper end of the market - would be interesting to see if we can tempt them for a year of thrills down at the valley if no one else wants them.
  • Been out all day and just catching up. No matter what way you try and spin it, we've fucked up. We're no way near promotion ready. We're undercooked. Disappointing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• What a crock of shit
  • At least we’ll have MacGillivray while Wollacott’s at the World Cup 🤷‍♂️
  • Gallen said we’ve spoken to a few free agents…

hopefully some movement in them, but wonder who that os
  • edited September 2022
    I’m honestly not sure it was ever part of the plan over the summer to sign a striker. Chuks’ injury and, possibly to a greater extent, the clamour from fans (because we know Sandgaard wants to be loved by the fans and he’s a bit of a weather-cock for public opinion) has changed the plan towards the end of the window. I hoped, but never believed, the budget was there for a transformational signing up front. Bonne wouldn’t have been the worst signing we ever made but I don’t think he’d have been a difference maker either. Is he really better than even a raw Leaburn? I’m not convinced either way. So if he was the best we could get for the money we could afford, then I’m not upset we’re saving the money for another time when maybe the market is more in our favour, or we can afford more than we can now.

I do think it was clear all summer long that a further centre back was needed and that could and should have been addressed much earlier. It doesn’t seem it was even really being addressed today. A decent free agent centre back might be easier to find though, I suppose. I hope it’s not because we spen too much budget on midfielders like. McGrandles looks a bit of an unneeded signing right now, even if he turns out to be decent. 

I’ve also got a bit more faith in Stockley than some, but we do need to figure out how to get more out of him in this system. 
  • I finally feel like we have a manager who can get us out of this division.  All Sandgaard had to do was back him with a couple of signings today & we had a good chance.

What a Muppet!
    I just hope that Garner hasn’t been badly affected by the lack of support he’s been given.
    Not wishing to stir the pot but managers have walked for less.
    At the very least I suspect he’s thinking……WTF is going on!

• Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Shouldn't we be happy that they're only (apparently) going for signings of players who would improve us? Whatever your feelings on Bonne? All our other signings seem like they're of that constructive quality (once McGrandles and Egbo get up to speed). 

Would you rather we'd signed anyone - literally anyone - just so we could say we made a deadline day signing? 

In a few weeks, none of you will remember this, Aneke will be fit, and NURSE! NURSE!

Martin had his new improved black box, you know the one that identified Fraser as a signing ( even though we tried to sign him before he went to Ipswich) they had 3 months to identify a decent striker & a CB that we desperately need to fit into the makings of a decent team that has been assembled that could have been the final parts of the jigsaw. Instead the sandgaards chose to wait until the end of the window because apparently the price of players will drop & so we get to the last few hours of the window to be told that we are considering making a move for Bonne. I don't think many wanted to wait to make a deadline day signing. It's been obvious since Washington was kicked out that we were 1/2 strikers light even putting aside the fact that Stockley doesn't fit in to our "new" system, we should have had an additional striker signed up a couple of months ago. 
    Aneke will never be fit, just the mention of his name has you crying for a nurse  :D
  • So who is going to be tasked to scan the lists of free agent forwards? Any volunteers?
    Martins box.
  • So the defender reported as a done deal that just needed announcing....*

Disappointing end, we've had two big glaring holes that needed filling and they haven't been (yet) the free agent market isn't exactly filled with quality either.  

Personally, think we stuck all our striker eggs in one Tyreece Simpson shaped basket, can see  the worth in spending a fee there, tried to play the game and back fired. 

Very weak at CB.

Proper Charlton 

*That's not a dig at all before you start fun police, but a done deal falling through would be peak us.
  • edited September 2022
    Relieved we haven't got Bonne. We all know he isn't up to it and saw at the QPR game that was the case. It would have been dreadful signing him on a perm as I would rather go with Leaburn. Saying that where is the CH? £0 spent in the window combined with the redundancies like Olly confirms that TS doesn't have the money to take us forward. I'm genuinely worried now that he doesn't have the funds to keep us running. I think he is well meaning and wants the best for us but promotion will be a massive task. We really have to support the team now. The time to slag off TS will be when the season ends. Doing it now will shred Ooh Ah Mortimer's 25 per cent chance of reaching the top 6.