Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Disappointing

Obviously I would have liked us to spend a bit of money on a decent L1 striker, but if that wasn't possible, then surely there were loan options available if we moved earlier.

Pompey for example, not one of the moneybags clubs, signed THREE strikers in the window, Colby Bishop on a perm, plus Joe Pigott and  Dane Scarlett on loan. Scarlett scored the winner on Saturday

Added Josh Koroma on loan from Huddersfield tonight as well , that's a very good set of attackers they've got there. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Didn’t Yann sign as a free agent? 
    Yes and we signed Sam Bartram from a colliery team... 

Your point?  
    That you can still pick up a decent player
    Of all the decent players we have had in, say the last 30 years, how many were free agents picked up out side of the window? 
    His point still stands though.
    Not really, one player, out of 100s doesn't make it good option. 
    Correlation does not imply causation though.

I don’t think anyone said it is a good option, but sadly it’s the only option we have at the moment,  and it does not mean we might not find someone who improves the team. 
  • Rothko said:
    He did but we’ve signed a lot more who haven’t worked out. He was a bit of a one off, you won’t often find a player of his quality on a free in September.

I can’t remember a free agent signing outside the window since then who made anywhere near the impact he did.
  • Anybody falling for that “statement” on the OS?
    missing out at the last minute on a forward is hard enough to swallow but no mention at all of the defensive addition? 
    All total bollox of the lowest order
    #sunlituplands
    Gonna be piss weak til Christmas at least

• DJ loan to Mansfield cancelled because we couldn't push through Bonne.
    I never understood why he was going in the first place. Played well in the games he's featured in and if/when there's an injury to Kirk/JRS/CBT he will get a chance in the league 
    Because he is behind the other three according to garner, although I'm not sure about him being behind Kirk and Thomas wants to keep costs (cut outgoings) to the minimum.
  • Free agents who were last with an EFL club:

Matej Vydra
    Marc McNulty
    Andy Carroll
    Yaya Sanogo
    Hal Robson-Kanu
    Fraizer Campbell
    Isaac Vassell
    Jamie Thomas
    Oumar Niasse
    Sam Winnall
    Leon Clarke
    Nathan Delfouneso
    Josh Parker
    Lewis Mansell
    Tom Elliott
    Derick Osei Yaw
    Theo Robinson
    Caolan Lavery
    Ryan Hillier
    I assume that all on that list have now been without a club since the end of last season so will take a month or so to get properly fit.
  • While a forward would be great, it is in central defence that I am really concerned. Inniss injury and suspension prone, Lavelle has had his misfortunes and what have we left, albeit Ness may be given a chance or Elewere recalled. Anyhow, weaker there than across the forwards so should be a priority look at freebies. 
  • Unpopular opinion, but the lack of a centre back signing is far more concerning to me than not getting a striker. We'll have to make it work with Stockley, and I still believe it can. I don't think he's been nearly as bad as his biggest detractors suggest. Up to Garner now to earn his corn and make it work. Time to get behind Stockley and build him up rather than piling pressure on him as a fan base.

It's not if but when Innis gets injured. In fact he was subbed off last match. I don't mind Lavelle as a player, I think he's steadily improving and has actually looked pretty comfortable with the possession football we are playing. But 2 + Innis is not enough, plus Lavelle had two lengthy spells out last season - there are questions marks about how resilient his fitness is now too. We could very quickly find ourselves having to play Clare at centre back in a2 (not sure about that against a big lump centre forward), or a very young, inexperienced player like Ness in a key position.
  • Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Yes and we signed Sam Bartram from a colliery team... 

Your point?  
    That you can still pick up a decent player
    Of all the decent players we have had in, say the last 30 years, how many were free agents picked up out side of the window? 
    Sure someone got the spreadsheet, surprised you haven’t got that stat at your finger tips 
    The point is it's one.  For ever Yann there are 5 duffs.  But if you want to cling on to hope beyond hope be my guest. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    Well that didn’t go to plan. Just passed on what I was told from a usually impeccable source, not convinced even the recruitment team have much of a clue.
    Can you tell us who the players were at this point?
    Defender was a loan from champ side, wasn’t given name. 

Forward was Scully from Lincoln.

Do you not realize that until the player signs his agent will still be trying to get him a Championship move. How many times and windows does this have to happen before the penny drops. Wigan beat us to the CB from St Johnson what chance when Wigan are in a division higher.

Despite our half decent start we are short of a squad to challenge.

Matej Vydra
    Marc McNulty
    Andy Carroll
    Yaya Sanogo
    Hal Robson-Kanu
    Fraizer Campbell
    Isaac Vassell
    Jamie Thomas
    Oumar Niasse
    Sam Winnall
    Leon Clarke
    Nathan Delfouneso
    Josh Parker
    Lewis Mansell
    Tom Elliott
    Derick Osei Yaw
    Theo Robinson
    Caolan Lavery
    Ryan Hillier

Robson-Kanu and vydra the stand outs there for me but no chance we could afford them, Vydra especially.

I'd actually take Sanogo back but he hasn't played a game since May 2021 and tbh I'd also take Andy Carroll for a laugh.
  • Watching episodes of welcome to Wrexham on Disney Plus today. 

Quite impressed on how Rob and Ryan have admitted they have limited understanding on running the club so initially got a Shaun Harvey to advise and then appoint a CEO to make those big decisions and plan.

Also on how they employed the volunteers who are passionate about the club to grow the club as if the club is promoted they will need people in those positions and they have the knowledge and experience already. 

But ultimately on how they had set out their targets and got them because they all was on the same page.

Phil Parkinson as Manager & Paul Mullin as star striker.

Can't help but feel there must be a slight divide somewhere.

As much as Ben Garner has done a good job so far, I be concerned that when the winter period hits we be forced to take risks with selection rather then simply rotate, how often have we been caught out by playing unfit players.

As much as we need that pacy all round finisher feel we are definitely short at  centre-back. We have Inniss, Lavelle & O'Connell.
  • Scoham said:
    Rothko said:
    He did but we’ve signed a lot more who haven’t worked out. He was a bit of a one off, you won’t often find a player of his quality on a free in September.

I can’t remember a free agent signing outside the window since then who made anywhere near the impact he did.
    Yep, and CBT was another, I remember when he signed on here, and it was meltdown like. 

Anyway, we’ll see what happens, I’m with the likes of Valley Gary and Clem on this, decent team, good manager, who knows, I haven’t written the season off emotionally or to look like a football genius, off the back of tonight. 
  • If you listened carefully to Sandgaard at the very start of the window the signs were there.He mentioned things nearly always going down to deadline day.But that is bullshit.
    If he had the means and will to buy a quality striker he would've done it. But he didn't.
    This bullshit story he's put out tonight was written at the end of June.
    When he started spouting on a video interview I thought he surely had the deals up his sleeve, or why risk exposing yourself like that? And he stayed in England to see this through.
  • Re: Centre Back - assume that we can recall Elewere if we are in a hole and I seem to recall Clare doing pretty well there last season. Neither ideal, but there is some cover there if we get hit by injuries.
  • Well that didn’t go to plan. Just passed on what I was told from a usually impeccable source, not convinced even the recruitment team have much of a clue.
    Can you tell us who the players were at this point?
    Defender was a loan from champ side, wasn’t given name. 

Forward was Scully from Lincoln.

Do you not realize that until the player signs his agent will still be trying to get him a Championship move. How many times and windows does this have to happen before the penny drops. Wigan beat as to the CB from St Johnson what chance when Wigan are in a division higher.

Despite our half decent start we are short of a squad to challenge.
    Cannot find Covered ends post to quote, but believe the club was Swansea and name was mentioned but I have completely forgotten it as I had never heard of him before.
  • On balance better that we didn’t sign players who are no better than we already have just for the sake of it. 

We can only hope that Leaburn and Kanu take comfort from it and come knocking loudly at Garners  door to get their chances. 

That’s the positive. 

More likely we have to hope (because that’s all we gave)  injuries are not our undoing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Re: Centre Back - assume that we can recall Elewere if we are in a hole and I seem to recall Clare doing pretty well there last season. Neither ideal, but there is some cover there if we get hit by injuries.
    Clare in a 4 is massively different to his performance in a 3. But yeah we’d have Deji and Terrell Thomas could be an ootion

Matej Vydra
    Marc McNulty
    Andy Carroll
    Yaya Sanogo
    Hal Robson-Kanu
    Fraizer Campbell
    Isaac Vassell
    Jamie Thomas
    Oumar Niasse
    Sam Winnall
    Leon Clarke
    Nathan Delfouneso
    Josh Parker
    Lewis Mansell
    Tom Elliott
    Derick Osei Yaw
    Theo Robinson
    Caolan Lavery
    Ryan Hillier
    Jerome Sinclair too, was on trial at Oxford but didn't get a contract.
  • Perhaps this thread is such a rip roaring entertainment fest they will drag out freebie searching and speculation for another 3-4 weeks to keep us and them going…? In all seriousness I hope they find defensive cover now and invest proper time in lining up another forward for January. Craig McG staying for now will help when the WC comes around, but Harness looked ok last night too.
  • On balance better that we didn’t sign players who are no better than we already have just for the sake of it. 

We can only hope that Leaburn and Kanu take comfort from it and come knocking loudly at Garners  door to get their chances. 

That’s the positive. 

More likely we have to hope (because that’s all we gave)  injuries are not our undoing. 
    same with deji because we are light af at cb
  • To be fair we've turned over a lot of last season's dross, we've recruited, and kept the nucleus of a good squad, but it's the injuries we will pick up that's going to be our undoing. We only needes 2 more bodies in. That's what smarts for me. If we go out and get them 2 in January, that will just annoy me. Why wait till then?