Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Southbank said:
    On wednesday night we saw how good some of our youngsters are.As long as we dont get a mass of injuries to senior players,these lads can step in and play alongside and will not look out of place.Would Bonne score more goals than Leaburn this year,would a journeyman CB be better cover than Ness.Henry looks as though he is waiting for that opportunity of a run in the team.Used correctly these lads will do the job ,no panic from me over the non signings.
    Probably come across as sarcasm because the majority are nursing deadline day hangovers but I’m with you on this 👍🏻 
    We have 5 out already and the season barely started. I love watching the young players develop, but having a good game against a 4th level team team's semi reserve team is not the same as playing Sheff Wednesday. The only player from the youth team who has really established hinself in the first team in the past few years is Morgan. It is a very big ask to step up from youth to first team level. Wishful thinking will not cover the basic fact that Sandgaard has decided not to invest in the team any more. As he himself said,  he wants to save money not invest it. Very few businesses of any type succeed for very long with that approach.
    BG said himself in this mornings article we need a bit of luck with injuries, and hopefully he’s right so the youngsters aren’t under too much pressure.  

I’ll be honest I’m more just trying to lighten the mood, I don’t feel as negative as many, it’s out of our control now, we may as well look for the positives as thickandthin63 did in their post.  
  • J BLOCK said:
    I've always back Sandgaard, but the end of this window has done me. He hasn't got the resources, god knows what would happen if we got to the championship. 

For us to compete properly, he needs to sell. 
    to who?

i think we are at least in a safe pair of hands with TS at the moment.
    "Safe" in what sense? I think too many people believe what he says when he talks about breaking even. Nobody with any understanding of the club's finances thinks that is remotely achievable year on year. In fact, you don't even need to understand the finances - his five-year ambition, his predictions last season, his idea that he can fill The Valley in L1, his claim that he was about to achieve Category One status, the due diligence he claimed to have done on the NFT sponsor, have all been exposed. Why would anyone believe his latest line?

I would agree that Sandgaard is an upgrade on ESI and Duchatelet, has some positive personal qualities, and that the team is more interesting to watch and likely to do better than last season, but there is a big hole in the project and it is his credibility. It isn't going to work financially and for that reason the club is far from "safe", albeit it's a slow motion car crash this time.

The end game will be someone buying Duchatelet out, in my opinion. It won't be Thomas.
    Hm. Interesting comment and I wouldn't disagree. Are you aware of anyone knocking about whom is trying to do this?
  • There was 100s of tweets slating Bonne yesterday, they ranged from “OMG he’s shit” to “I’d rather sign no one”.

Can you blame the geeza for that response.  
    Completely agree.  We live in a world where social media makes it free reign to say stuff you probably wouldn’t say face to face.  I’m sure he saw tons of negative comments about us resigning him yesterday.  He’s perfectly entitled to give it back.  
  • edited September 2022
    UEAAddick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I've always back Sandgaard, but the end of this window has done me. He hasn't got the resources, god knows what would happen if we got to the championship. 

to who?

"Safe" in what sense? I think too many people believe what he says when he talks about breaking even. Nobody with any understanding of the club's finances thinks that is remotely achievable year on year. In fact, you don't even need to understand the finances - his five-year ambition, his predictions last season, his idea that he can fill The Valley in L1, his claim that he was about to achieve Category One status, the due diligence he claimed to have done on the NFT sponsor, have all been exposed. Why would anyone believe his latest line?

I would agree that Sandgaard is an upgrade on ESI and Duchatelet, has some positive personal qualities, and that the team is more interesting to watch and likely to do better than last season, but there is a big hole in the project and it is his credibility. It isn't going to work financially and for that reason the club is far from "safe", albeit it's a slow motion car crash this time.

The end game will be someone buying Duchatelet out, in my opinion. It won't be Thomas.
    I agree that Sandgaard has completely underestimated the task and and is making it up as he goes along, but what has Sandgaard got to sell bar a failing football club. 

If someone buys duchatalet out, I can't see it being easy to do with the madness of him and even someone with serious wealth in the billions would have find it hard negotiating it with him or even contacting him.

Which is why I think were more likely to end up with crooks.
    There is an added problem now. Buying Duchatelet out would be tricky in itself as he clearly overvalues the assets he holds but if that were possible, is Sandgaard going to let the club go for what he paid for it? He is going to want much of the money he wasted back. And I use the term wasted intentionally with some of the crazy signings he was responsible for. And part of the debt goes to paying his family members generously for their incompetence.

• "Safe" in what sense? I think too many people believe what he says when he talks about breaking even. Nobody with any understanding of the club's finances thinks that is remotely achievable year on year. In fact, you don't even need to understand the finances - his five-year ambition, his predictions last season, his idea that he can fill The Valley in L1, his claim that he was about to achieve Category One status, the due diligence he claimed to have done on the NFT sponsor, have all been exposed. Why would anyone believe his latest line?

Surely 'safe' in footballing terms will always be a comparative term. Will we break even? No, because no clubs in the Championship of League One do (until the revolution which must eventually come). But can a club be given an overall navigating direction, and can it significantly cut its losses with a keen focus on what a club like ours actually needs to succeed? Yes, it can.
  • There was 100s of tweets slating Bonne yesterday, they ranged from “OMG he’s shit” to “I’d rather sign no one”.

100%

Famous Chinese proverb...if you give it to a young footballer on social media don't cry when young footballer returns it.

Hilarious grown men abusing people online or in the stands then spleen shitting when they get a bit of needle back.
    I’ll hold my hands up when I’m at the valley or away from home I do a bit of baiting towards opposition players, just in the spirit of football nothing toxic, but when I get the ssshhh gesture back it’s fair game, I’d do the same if I were a player.  
  • Chunes said:
    Garner saying "Hopefully I'll have some money to spend in January." Why would he?
    The Only Fans cameras were installed then at Sparrows Lane, as they weren't for transfer announcements.
  • edited September 2022
    UEAAddick said:
    J BLOCK said:

to who?

I agree that Sandgaard has completely underestimated the task and and is making it up as he goes along, but what has Sandgaard got to sell bar a failing football club. 

If someone buys duchatalet out, I can't see it being easy to do with the madness of him and even someone with serious wealth in the billions would have find it hard negotiating it with him or even contacting him.

Which is why I think were more likely to end up with crooks.
    I agree he has little or nothing to sell. He is using his revenue projections to argue otherwise, but they are nonsense. He may be able to survive with windfall transfer profits for a while, but it's not sustainable.

He could get lucky with Ben Garner or his successor, as Roland did, and get back in the Championship, which would help. But I still think are some very wealthy people around who may fancy a London-based club with a stadium equipped to host Premier League football and manage to sort Roland out with a deal based on the latter.

Would Sandgaard sell to crooks? I think better of him than that, but it may depend how desperate he gets.
    Well if there are, now would be a good time for them to make themselves known, not to us but to TS and RD!
  • Sponsored links:

• People saying shambles

dontou believe we started our striker search yesterday morning? Do you not think we worked through a list of targets? They either moved elsewhere, cost too high, didn't want to come etc. we had a forward in the building and the parent club moved the goal post at the last minute.

with the defender, it would be interesting to see what happened there. Maybe we pulled out because the manager and coaching staff have had three months to look at ness and think he is a good back up option.

frustrating, yes. Disappointing, yes. Shambolic, definitely not
    If we started the search for a forward earlier then it’s even more of a shambles. 

100%

Famous Chinese proverb...if you give it to a young footballer on social media don't cry when young footballer returns it.

Hilarious grown men abusing people online or in the stands then spleen shitting when they get a bit of needle back.
    I’ll hold my hands up when I’m at the valley or away from home I do a bit of baiting towards opposition players, just in the spirit of football nothing toxic, but when I get the ssshhh gesture back it’s fair game, I’d do the same if I were a player.  
    I remember the Charlton fans slaughtering Karlan Grant when we played at Huddersfield. When he scored he gave some of it back, and was entitled to do so
  • Swisdom said:
    ButtleJR said:
    not sure if posted previously... Now removed 
    If that’s for real he deserves even more abuse. He knew he wasn’t wanted here and is revelling in the outcry of fans.
    what a prize tosser
    The character in the image doesn’t exactly come out  on top…
  • Chunes said:
    Garner saying "Hopefully I'll have some money to spend in January." Why would he?
    The source that spoke to MS said we were confident of signing Scully which would have cost a bit. 
    Bonne was the back up target when that fell through when he went to Championship.

Scully was second in my wish list after Simpson so would have been very happy if that had gone through.
  • T said:
    Had a look earlier, only one I could see worth taking a punt on is Jerome Sinclair, even then he’s a “if we can get him fit” type.
  • Assuming that Scully was the only one we were in for, I'm just disappointed that we didn't move for any others at the same time.

If we had him in for a medical, then it must have been close but not finalised. Even if that was the case, Scully or bust is not particularly wise. The alternatives must have been deemed too expensive or lacking future resell value. Surely we could have been stringing along a couple of others and then signed our 2nd/3rd choice if we could get any of them over the line and signed.

I think the obsession over perfect fit was unrealistic and we got done by Scully, his agent and Wigan over the last few days. Bonne might have been the backup, but I feel the dogs abuse he was receiving and his general dislike of the club/fans contributed to staying away.

He doesn't fit the resell criteria, but I would have absolutely moved for Stockton in addition to Scully (plus maybe even another), and pulled the plug on whichever didn't get over the line in time. Maybe this isn't the "done thing", but it all feels like we dropped the ball on this one.
  • Interesting from BG when he said it’s going to take another two windows to get the squad the way we want it to look with the style of play we want to play 
  • Interesting from BG when he said it’s going to take another two windows to get the squad the way we want it to look with the style of play we want to play 
    I hope he is afforded that time and money by TS then
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    Get your business done early, so last minute plugs being pulled can be avoided. 
    Careful Golfie gets dogs abuse when he says this however it is 100% correct 
  • 7/10 transfer window having slept on it. A promising start and do think that O’Connell, Sess, Egbo, Wollacott, JR-S, McGrandles and Payne make us a stronger 1st team than last season by some distance, BUT squad depth in important areas takes a lot of gloss away from those gains and we now gamble game by game with injuries and suspensions to our forward and CHs. Right down the spine - really risky.

As others have said, this gamble not paying off puts all of the spotlight and frustration and downside risk on to the owner. Garner’s coaching, organisation and style have been adopted and utilised to pretty good effect, so other than a ? on plan B (albeit 4222 was used in the Pizza trophy), he is earning a free pass from the fan base in the event injuries become the reason for a poor run of form.

I am perhaps falsely hoping that we can hold our own and get lucky until Christmas, but if we are not bolstered by then, fear like others, it will be league 1 mediocrity for years to come and right now, through no fault of the manager. 

Good luck Ben, even better fitness luck players, we are going to need it…
  • There’s still two weeks one week 5 days 4days 3days 2days 1 day 12 hours 6 hours 3hours 1 hour half hour 15 mins 5 mins 1 min left of the transfer window  so stop moaning and wait and see  the free agent market is available so stay positive 

We will be world beaters in the free market because no money is involved. This is Tommy’s kind of shopping 
  • People saying shambles

dontou believe we started our striker search yesterday morning? Do you not think we worked through a list of targets? They either moved elsewhere, cost too high, didn't want to come etc. we had a forward in the building and the parent club moved the goal post at the last minute.

with the defender, it would be interesting to see what happened there. Maybe we pulled out because the manager and coaching staff have had three months to look at ness and think he is a good back up option.

frustrating, yes. Disappointing, yes. Shambolic, definitely not
    If we started the search for a forward earlier then it’s even more of a shambles. 
    Why does it have to be. Look I’m fully on board that it’s gone wrong and have said as much.

But let’s say we have a list:

Player A
    Player B
    Player C
    Player D
    Player E
    Player F

Player A is our first choice target, but we approach his team and they say he won’t be moving.

Player B is available but after a discussion with him and his agent he does not want to move because he does not want to move to uproot his young family.

Player C is available but his club will only take a fee that you think is overinflated. So it’s one you will revisit later to see if they drop their demands.

Player D is available and wants to come and has agreed everything in principle but his club will only let him go, if his club get a replacement first.

Player E has been offered by his club on loan, but at the last minute they say we can only have him if we pay a fee.

Player F is available but goes to a club in a higher division. 

I expect all this and more happens when it comes to transfers. Again I’m not excusing that we didn’t sign a striker, never mind a centre back, but I do get the impression from the constant upset tone on here throughout transfer windows that people think it should just be a simple process.
    Isn’t that why you have a scouting/recruitment team? So you don’t end up with a list entirely composed of unobtainable players? 
  • J BLOCK said:

to who?

There are three types of fan at the moment and I will rank them in order of importance to the future of the club. I have held this view for quite some time but appreciate it is not a popular one. I shall start with the least important fans. These are the ones that are Charlton through and through and would watch us every week in the national league. They would be the most important if there was enough of them but there isn't and as they will eat whatever shit they are given, why bother giving them anything decent.

Then you have the next most important. Charlton fans who may be a bit disillusioned in recent years and are no longer season ticket holders and um and ah about whether to attend a game or not. They are and always will be Charlton fans though. They are the next most important as they can make the crowds and revenues more decent but probably not enough ultimately. You can of course take a leaf out of a certain poster's book and call them all traitors and you know whats but that won't get them back. Good winning football and optimism for the future after so many knock backs will do that.

Then you have the most important fans of all. These are potential and fickle fans who need persuading Charlton is their club. The demographics in our catchment area is a positive and suggests there is something to unlock, but you need a key to unlock it. And a plan.

Of course this isn't fair on the true die hard fans but it that doesn't make it untrue IMO. There will always be a few thousand turning up and watching us play Barnet in the National League. But the club has to grow, not shrink. It is already in a place where it is too big to be viable and it either has to get out of that place or shrink appropriately. Which it is gradually doing from what I can see.
    You can dress things up whatever way you want if it makes you feel better about not going to matches but if group 1, the die hards, didn't exist, there would be no club because if there weren't any group 1's the club would cease to exist.