Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    I've always back Sandgaard, but the end of this window has done me. He hasn't got the resources, god knows what would happen if we got to the championship. 

For us to compete properly, he needs to sell. 
    to who?

i think we are at least in a safe pair of hands with TS at the moment.
    "Safe" in what sense? I think too many people believe what he says when he talks about breaking even. Nobody with any understanding of the club's finances thinks that is remotely achievable year on year. In fact, you don't even need to understand the finances - his five-year ambition, his predictions last season, his idea that he can fill The Valley in L1, his claim that he was about to achieve Category One status, the due diligence he claimed to have done on the NFT sponsor, have all been exposed. Why would anyone believe his latest line?

I would agree that Sandgaard is an upgrade on ESI and Duchatelet, has some positive personal qualities, and that the team is more interesting to watch and likely to do better than last season, but there is a big hole in the project and it is his credibility. It isn't going to work financially and for that reason the club is far from "safe", albeit it's a slow motion car crash this time.

The end game will be someone buying Duchatelet out, in my opinion. It won't be Thomas.
    When the club included The Valley and Sparrows I always thought Charlton as an extremely good club for someone to buy given its history, stadium and location. All this has now gone. Who in their right mind would look at us as an attractive proposition? Unless Thomas changes tack, that’s if he can then I fear we’re doomed to third tier football for a good while or get very lucky.
  • If it was Bonne that fell through late on, then we dodged a bullet. 
  • cabbles said:
    There’s a few things for me that have tripped us up.

Not recognising how far off we were with the team that finished last season, even with the likes of CBT, Stockley, Clare and Dobson

The delay in getting BG in.  We needed a full 11/12 style revamp of the squad and we needed it early given the 13th place finish.  It took as long at it took, but it definitely impacted us detrimentally in terms of competitiveness.

The lack of foresight in resigning the cheat code that is Aneke and subsequent inability for Stockley to operate in this system.  And you can’t tell me we didn’t know it was going to be difficult for him under Garnerball. It’s not that hard to see he’s an old school, physical forward who makes a nuisance of himself and thrives on crosses.  

Not being proactive enough in trying to move on JFC, Gilbey and DJ.  This last one is difficult, but it’s also held us back 
    Jackson said we had a good core group before he left, so no 11/12 style revamp was expected by him ,who was fundamental to that one. Only some fans were expecting that.

As for being competitive, we have been since day one and still are, so I don't agree that we've been impacted detrimentally with the time it took appointing Garner.

On DJ, I thought he was off to Mansfield on loan but we pulled the plug on it at the last minute being short on numbers, or I thought that's what I read.
  • It is what it is. More than half on here didn't want Bonne but realistically when Cawley put it out there it was only him we were chasing.

It falls through and yet we still moan. Take a step back and look at whats available not a lot striker wise
  • People saying shambles

dontou believe we started our striker search yesterday morning? Do you not think we worked through a list of targets? They either moved elsewhere, cost too high, didn't want to come etc. we had a forward in the building and the parent club moved the goal post at the last minute.

with the defender, it would be interesting to see what happened there. Maybe we pulled out because the manager and coaching staff have had three months to look at ness and think he is a good back up option.

frustrating, yes. Disappointing, yes. Shambolic, definitely not
    Washington left over 3 months ago.
    He should have been replaced and he wasn't. 
    Leaving it until transfer deadline day was idiotic to say the least. 
    But in the new system, Washington would’ve been in competition with CBT, Kirk, Rak-Sakyi. Just as good players but probably a lot cheaper. His lack of goals ruled him out of the strikers role. I admired TS’s ambition of trying sign Simpson and Scully but were in hindsight naive not to have better plan C and D options that wouldn’t be hijacked by Championship clubs.
  • People saying shambles

dontou believe we started our striker search yesterday morning? Do you not think we worked through a list of targets? They either moved elsewhere, cost too high, didn't want to come etc. we had a forward in the building and the parent club moved the goal post at the last minute.

with the defender, it would be interesting to see what happened there. Maybe we pulled out because the manager and coaching staff have had three months to look at ness and think he is a good back up option.

But in the new system, Washington would’ve been in competition with CBT, Kirk, Rak-Sakyi. Just as good players but probably a lot cheaper. His lack of goals ruled him out of the strikers role. I admired TS’s ambition of trying sign Simpson and Scully but were in hindsight naive not to have better plan C and D options that wouldn’t be hijacked by Championship clubs.
    Not convinced we were in for Scully at all. Why would we be when we had Rak-Sakyi, Kirk and CBT?
  • I expect that we'll sign a free agent CB, but muddle through with our attacking options until January, as I can't see anyone out there any good. That we ended up chasing Bonne shows that we were onto Play E by yesterday.

I have no problem with any of the players we've brought in individually. Collectively though, it does smack of "consolidation", of a club hoping for the playoffs, rather than really going for it. 
  • It is what it is. More than half on here didn't want Bonne but realistically when Cawley put it out there it was only him we were chasing.

It falls through and yet we still moan. Take a step back and look at whats available not a lot striker wise
    I know many didn't want Jephcott, but it was galling to see him drop to L2 with Swindon while we signed no one. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    I've always back Sandgaard, but the end of this window has done me. He hasn't got the resources, god knows what would happen if we got to the championship. 

to who?

"Safe" in what sense? I think too many people believe what he says when he talks about breaking even. Nobody with any understanding of the club's finances thinks that is remotely achievable year on year. In fact, you don't even need to understand the finances - his five-year ambition, his predictions last season, his idea that he can fill The Valley in L1, his claim that he was about to achieve Category One status, the due diligence he claimed to have done on the NFT sponsor, have all been exposed. Why would anyone believe his latest line?

I would agree that Sandgaard is an upgrade on ESI and Duchatelet, has some positive personal qualities, and that the team is more interesting to watch and likely to do better than last season, but there is a big hole in the project and it is his credibility. It isn't going to work financially and for that reason the club is far from "safe", albeit it's a slow motion car crash this time.

The end game will be someone buying Duchatelet out, in my opinion. It won't be Thomas.
    When the club included The Valley and Sparrows I always thought Charlton as an extremely good club for someone to buy given its history, stadium and location. All this has now gone. Who in their right mind would look at us as an attractive proposition? Unless Thomas changes tack, that’s if he can then I fear we’re doomed to third tier football for a good while or get very lucky.
    Someone with a lot of money, hopefully. If you can be confident of getting into the Premier League then RD isn't such a factor.
  • People saying shambles

Not convinced we were in for Scully at all. Why would we be when we had Rak-Sakyi, Kirk and CBT?
    Because it would give us 4 players in two positions which mathematics says is about what you need over a season, and he can also cover Stockley as a striker if needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    People saying shambles

If we started the search for a forward earlier then it’s even more of a shambles. 
    Why does it have to be. Look I’m fully on board that it’s gone wrong and have said as much.

But let’s say we have a list:

Player A
    Player B
    Player C
    Player D
    Player E
    Player F

Player A is our first choice target, but we approach his team and they say he won’t be moving.

Player B is available but after a discussion with him and his agent he does not want to move because he does not want to move to uproot his young family.

Player C is available but his club will only take a fee that you think is overinflated. So it’s one you will revisit later to see if they drop their demands.

Player D is available and wants to come and has agreed everything in principle but his club will only let him go, if his club get a replacement first.

Player E has been offered by his club on loan, but at the last minute they say we can only have him if we pay a fee.

Player F is available but goes to a club in a higher division. 

I expect all this and more happens when it comes to transfers. Again I’m not excusing that we didn’t sign a striker, never mind a centre back, but I do get the impression from the constant upset tone on here throughout transfer windows that people think it should just be a simple process.
    Isn’t that why you have a scouting/recruitment team? So you don’t end up with a list entirely composed of unobtainable players? 
    How do you know they are unobtainable until you approach them though?

And even then, was Scully unobtainable, or was he obtainable until Wigan made a late bid. Do you instantly move on from a quality player you want because there may be a bidding war for him and you don't have the stomach?

Bonne was apparently obtainable but then his parent club changed the conditions last minute. Stockton may have been obtainable if Morecambe would have budged on their £650,000 asking price at the last minute.

I expect there are so many cogs to transfers that we are unaware of that it feels somewhat silly to blanketly rant about how much of a 'shambles' or 'embarrassment' it is. Disappointing and misjudged for sure, but shambles is indicative of moderns society general reaction to things that happen that they don't like.

I reckon Stockton would have gone for £300k. As it is, he'll either leave in January or for nothing next summer now.

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/sport/football/opinion-no-winners-in-the-morecambe-cole-stockton-stand-off-3828869
  • swordfish said:
    cabbles said:

Not recognising how far off we were with the team that finished last season, even with the likes of CBT, Stockley, Clare and Dobson

The delay in getting BG in.  We needed a full 11/12 style revamp of the squad and we needed it early given the 13th place finish.  It took as long at it took, but it definitely impacted us detrimentally in terms of competitiveness.

The lack of foresight in resigning the cheat code that is Aneke and subsequent inability for Stockley to operate in this system.  And you can’t tell me we didn’t know it was going to be difficult for him under Garnerball. It’s not that hard to see he’s an old school, physical forward who makes a nuisance of himself and thrives on crosses.  

Not being proactive enough in trying to move on JFC, Gilbey and DJ.  This last one is difficult, but it’s also held us back 
    Jackson said we had a good core group before he left, so no 11/12 style revamp was expected by him ,who was fundamental to that one. Only some fans were expecting that.

As for being competitive, we have been since day one and still are, so I don't agree that we've been impacted detrimentally with the time it took appointing Garner.

On DJ, I thought he was off to Mansfield on loan but we pulled the plug on it at the last minute being short on numbers, or I thought that's what I read.
    Expecting and what we need are two different things.  I would also say that being a forward and a centre back short is impacting our competitiveness.  We might not have seen that in the first 6 games, but with 40 left to play I think we’ll be very fortunate not to be adversely affected over the course of the season.  Particularly given what looks like Stockley’s difficultly in adapting to the system. 

We’ve made some good additions and showed some progress, don’t get me wrong, but personally I think we needed more 
  • thenewbie said:
    People saying shambles

Because it would give us 4 players in two positions which mathematics says is about what you need over a season, and he can also cover Stockley as a striker if needed.
    Yeah maybe, not convinced myself. Our squad is quite thin so find it hard to believe we'd have gone with a 4th choice winger who on paper would be extremely strong. 
  • cabbles said:
    swordfish said:
    cabbles said:

Expecting and what we need are two different things.  I would also say that being a forward and a centre back short is impacting our competitiveness.  We might not have seen that in the first 6 games, but with 40 left to play I think we’ll be very fortunate not to be adversely affected over the course of the season.  Particularly given what looks like Stockley’s difficultly in adapting to the system. 

We’ve made some good additions and showed some progress, don’t get me wrong, but personally I think we needed more 
    Happy to agree with your reply in that we are short and it could impact us going forward 👍
  • J BLOCK said:

to who?

Someone with a lot of money, hopefully. If you can be confident of getting into the Premier League then RD isn't such a factor.
    How much did TS spend in purchasing the club ? What’s he spent ? Can he realistically get his money back even after such a short period of ownership? 
  • Isn't there anybody on here who knows the identity of the 'striker' we missed out on?
  • J BLOCK said:

to who?

How much did TS spend in purchasing the club ? What’s he spent ? Can he realistically get his money back even after such a short period of ownership? 

He doesnt really have anything to sell as he doesnt own the assets. He paid very little maybe a million max but has picked up the tab for several seasons of £8m losses. So realistically he would need to see for minimum 16m-20m to make profit unless he can convince someone to take on the accrued debt since he took over plus any other liabilities that were already in place.

In short, no.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    It doesn't matter who our owner is, how rich they are, we're little old Charlton and will never be the balanced business people want us to be. We will never be the club that draws the crowds again. 

Both the fans, owner and potential owners need to realise we are not a big club anymore. We need a proper plan to get us back to the championship - Fuck off any dream of the PL until we're established as a Championship side. 
    I would reckon most of the hard core who go to games  feel like this all ready. The key to where where go going forward is how many will keep going and not drift away
  • J BLOCK said:

to who?

Of course he can't.  Even if it only cost him £1 he has spent about £20 million since he bought us.

What has he actually got to sell?
  • se9addick said:
    People saying shambles

If we started the search for a forward earlier then it’s even more of a shambles. 
    Why does it have to be. Look I’m fully on board that it’s gone wrong and have said as much.

But let’s say we have a list:

Player A
    Player B
    Player C
    Player D
    Player E
    Player F

Player A is our first choice target, but we approach his team and they say he won’t be moving.

Player B is available but after a discussion with him and his agent he does not want to move because he does not want to move to uproot his young family.

Player C is available but his club will only take a fee that you think is overinflated. So it’s one you will revisit later to see if they drop their demands.

Player D is available and wants to come and has agreed everything in principle but his club will only let him go, if his club get a replacement first.

Player E has been offered by his club on loan, but at the last minute they say we can only have him if we pay a fee.

Player F is available but goes to a club in a higher division. 

I expect all this and more happens when it comes to transfers. Again I’m not excusing that we didn’t sign a striker, never mind a centre back, but I do get the impression from the constant upset tone on here throughout transfer windows that people think it should just be a simple process.
    Isn’t that why you have a scouting/recruitment team? So you don’t end up with a list entirely composed of unobtainable players? 
    How do you know they are unobtainable until you approach them though?

And even then, was Scully unobtainable, or was he obtainable until Wigan made a late bid. Do you instantly move on from a quality player you want because there may be a bidding war for him and you don't have the stomach?

Bonne was apparently obtainable but then his parent club changed the conditions last minute. Stockton may have been obtainable if Morecambe would have budged on their £650,000 asking price at the last minute.

I expect there are so many cogs to transfers that we are unaware of that it feels somewhat silly to blanketly rant about how much of a 'shambles' or 'embarrassment' it is. Disappointing and misjudged for sure, but shambles is indicative of moderns society general reaction to things that happen that they don't like.

Because it’s your job to know…
  • Sponsored links:

• Harry McKirdy gone to Hibs
  • meldrew66 said:
    Isn't there anybody on here who knows the identity of the 'striker' we missed out on?
    Peter Odemwingie - he was in the car park flashing his lights but Ron Dangerfield was half asleep and passed him off as a dogger.
  • Shopping in Poundland, the player has had no pre season meaning it will be atleast November before he is fully up to speed, why does that player not have a club ? Does that suggest he is past his best or injury prone ? 
    How many free agents have actually turned a clubs season around ?
    Kermogant
  • J BLOCK said:

to who?

He doesnt really have anything to sell as he doesnt own the assets. He paid very little maybe a million max but has picked up the tab for several seasons of £8m losses. So realistically he would need to see for minimum 16m-20m to make profit unless he can convince someone to take on the accrued debt since he took over plus any other liabilities that were already in place.

In short, no.
    Agree - he won't recover his losses that he knew he wasn't getting into. It depends when he gets bored of the new hobby I suppose.

• Shopping in Poundland, the player has had no pre season meaning it will be atleast November before he is fully up to speed, why does that player not have a club ? Does that suggest he is past his best or injury prone ? 
    Kermogant
    A clear anamoly and not a situation to model transfer strategy on. 

There will unlikely be a Yann out there albeit some very appealing  names on the available list such as Vydra and to a lesser extent Robson Kanu
  • Although yesterday was a major let down I do think we have had a decent window. The players we have signed will improve us no doubt. My biggest concern is that I doubt we will manage to hold onto Garner. Once a few Championship clubs start to part ways with their Managers as the season goes along he will be sort after I'm sure. If our improvement under him continues it will show that what he achieved last year at Swindon wasnt a fluke
  • Let’s try and bring in Sam Winnall or robson Kanu.
    I think for us possibly the 2014/15 season. We were absolutely rattled and didn't win a game between 8th November and 14th February. At its worst we were three points off the dropzone. I remember a feeling of real hopelessness after the Norwich 3-2 loss. Across February though we brought in Chris Eagles, Alou Diarra and, weirdly successfully, Roger Johnson. Suddenly we had a strong defender, a legendary holding midfielder and a winger who could score goals. We stopped conceding so many, ground out a few results and had some really great wins in there. We won 7 in 9 at one point. What a weird season that was.