Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• well if Bonne read some of the comments on here no surprise he didn't fancy re joining. Yeah he wasn't great but beggars cant be choosers and with sandgaard in charge of the purse strings we really can not be too picky. 

Feel a bit for Garner. Promising start to the transfers then Sandgaard looked in his wallet and thought shit, we are going to have to become more sustainable in League 1 something a club with our overheads cannot possibly do anyway.  
  • edited September 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Swisdom said:
    ButtleJR said:
    not sure if posted previously... Now removed 
    If that’s for real he deserves even more abuse. He knew he wasn’t wanted here and is revelling in the outcry of fans.
    what a prize tosser
    Geezer is non-league

The Geezer is at a Championship club on 500k to 750k per annum; even if Michael Beale wishes they could move him on.

Call me cynical (your cynical Sam) but was it QPR who pulled the deal or Cafc after seeing the abuse he was getting on social media and no doubt people emailing Charlton saying that's me done with cafc.
    Why would QPR pull the deal ???

In the last couple of months I have had some great conversations with professional Scouts, agents, coaches, social media managers and the smoke and mirrors that takes place is a soap opera; So much skulduggery in player recruitment. Think of poker.

We won 6, Drew 2 and Lost 2 of JJ first games and we hit our ceiling with that group of players when we reach 11th. 

Garner needed backing at least as a top six club in League 1 if we have any ambition left ?

Last night was like a shite party in your teens, it's built up and then it's just Boring and you end up feeling really low like a dachund's bollocks.
  • McNulty a free agent? Surprised to see his name on the list.

Nothing like an angry man to get you goals!
  • shirty5 said:
    Get your business done early, so last minute plugs being pulled can be avoided. 
    Careful Golfie gets dogs abuse when he says this however it is 100% correct 
    Not always that easy though is it? We've already been told several times that we needed some to go out before anyone came in. Gilbey didn't bugger off until yesterday afternoon when Lincoln was on a week or two ago and then we had DJ ready to shift on the day but that formal interest didn't arrive until yesterday afternoon. Can't do much until the money's there, or you gamble over your budget and end up causing damage if moves out don't materialise.
  • shirty5 said:
    Right lets sort this out once and for all. 

Going through current table order, let's see how many League One clubs brought in players on the last day. Caveat I can't be bothered to look too extensively so might miss out players, and this of course won't include players who signed late in the window or on the 31st August, like Owen Beck did for Bolton.

Portsmoth: Josh Koroma (1)
    Ipswich Town: Gassan Ahadme and Panutche Camara (2)
    Sheffield Wednesday: (0) 
    Peterborough: Kell Watts (1) 
    Plymouth: Sam Cosgrove (1)
    Derby: William Osulu (1)
    Cambridge: (0)
    Charlton: (0)
    Exeter City: Harry Smith (1)
    Bolton: (0)
    Accrington Stanley: Bailey Sloane (1)
    Wycombe: (0)
    MK Dones: (0)
    Fleetwood: Admiral Muskwe and Lewis Warrington (2)
    Bristol: Josh Coburn, Bobby Thomas and Syl Jasper (3)
    Barnsley: Adam Phillips and Tom Edwards (2)
    Oxford: Djavan Anderson (1)
    Lincoln: Matty Virture (1)
    Port Vale: Liam McCaarron, Dennis Politic and Danny Butterworth (3)
    Shrewbury: Carl Winchester, Chris Saydee and Rob Street (3)
    Cheltenham: Ryan Broom and James Olayinka (2)
    Forest Green: Bryan Fibema and Christian Marques (2)
    Morecambe: Liam Shaw (1)
    Burton: Elliot Thorpe (1)

So the majority of League One teams were clearly looking to bring in 1 or 2 players on the final day like us.

Let's please stop this get your business down early fallacy. It does not happen and is not a thing. 
    To be fair the majority of those are probably squad fillers and have no doubt been let go because the selling club are happy to see them gone

Camara from Plymouth to Ipswich is probably the exception - Even Bonne to us would have been no different.

At that late stage it was pretty clear we weren't bringing in a Striker (key word) to replace Stockley, it was compete with, or nothing... Even had we signed Scully, he himself wouldn't have been a Striker.

So won't be surprised if at some stage of the season, we see Rak-Sakyi played down the middle. 
    I think you might be right re rak sakyi - i think going forwards Stockley or Chucks (hopefully) will be adequate if we are dominating / spending a lot of time in the oppositions half but the likes of Rak Sakyi and Miles Leaburn and possibly CBT are going to have to go central if we are playing on the break - Stockley was virtually a passenger for large periods of the game at Wycombe.  
  • edited September 2022
    shirty5 said:

Going through current table order, let's see how many League One clubs brought in players on the last day. Caveat I can't be bothered to look too extensively so might miss out players, and this of course won't include players who signed late in the window or on the 31st August, like Owen Beck did for Bolton.

So the majority of League One teams were clearly looking to bring in 1 or 2 players on the final day like us.

Let's please stop this get your business down early fallacy. It does not happen and is not a thing. 
    It's true that lot's happens on deadline day hence Sky's obsession with it, but we know it's advisable to get your business done early and only rely on late deals to strengthen obvious areas of weakness or find replacements if you lose key players. With the exception of Gilbey, deemed surplus, we didn't, so not losing anyone we wanted to keep is the only positive to come out of yesterday, if you disregard NOT signing Bonne as we intended to.

I do think any notion that we sit on our hands waiting for Deadline Day is a nonsense and we did get the bulk of our business done early, but it's widely acknowledged that we're still missing a couple a players in key positions, hence the negative fallout. As I said earlier, I put it down to gross incompetence rather than wilful negligence.
  • Wouldn’t mind Terrell Thomas to be honest, always thought he was quite good, injuries are a problem though.
  • Addick_8 said:
    I think the free agent we may have spoken to (as Gallen mentioned) is Sam Winnall. It's the only obvious choice that stands out the most.
    Didn’t do much at Oxford mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• izzy brown anyone?
  • The goal now needs to be to get to January and still be in the top 10 / touching distance of the playoffs.

Come on you free transfers! You’ve got this.
       Same Old Bullshit and same old promises from our Rock n Roll EGO driven owner.
      A Big Fish in a Tiny pond unfortunately with
      delusions of Grandeur, 👎👎👎
  • IR94 said:
    izzy brown anyone?
    Good player but injured all the time....even more so than the usual crop of injured players we sign!
  • J BLOCK said:
    Swisdom said:
    ButtleJR said:
    If that’s for real he deserves even more abuse. He knew he wasn’t wanted here and is revelling in the outcry of fans.
    what a prize tosser
    Geezer is non-league

The Geezer is at a Championship club on 500k to 750k per annum; even if Michael Beale wishes they could move him on.

Call me cynical (your cynical Sam) but was it QPR who pulled the deal or Cafc after seeing the abuse he was getting on social media and no doubt people emailing Charlton saying that's me done with cafc.

In the last couple of months I have had some great conversations with professional Scouts, agents, coaches, social media managers and the smoke and mirrors that takes place is a soap opera; So much skulduggery in player recruitment. Think of poker.

We won 6, Drew 2 and Lost 2 of JJ first games and we hit our ceiling with that group of players when we reach 11th. 

Garner needed backing at least as a top six club in League 1 if we have any ambition left ?

Last night was like a shite party in your teens, it's built up and then it's just Boring and you end up feeling really low like a dachund's bollocks.
    QPR pulled the deal because they couldn’t sign a striker themselves 
  • shirty5 said:
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Swisdom said:
    ButtleJR said:
    what a prize tosser
    Geezer is non-league

Always the way when it’s in a chain like that. Does not always come off and effects one or two other clubs. That’s why I like getting the business done early. We had 4 months to play with not a 24 hour window 
      100% Correct 👍👍👍🎯🎯🎯🎯
  • edited September 2022
    Did I hear wealthy benefactor waiting in the wings? Not heard it for a while, but please.

Where were they when Roland had a lot more skin in the game?
    If they did exist then,Roland played hard ball. What kind of game do you think he would play now he has a lot less to lose? He's sitting pretty with a nice piece of London real estate. The rent he's getting an even bigger bonus.
    Sorry. Ain't happening.
    I think going bankrupt and admin is more of a realistic possibility now than any sort big money influx.

• I think we're back in the "believing what he tells us" problem. He isn't going to "significantly cut its losses" and stabilise it in L1. If he "significantly cuts its losses" he'll more likely end up getting relegated.

Yes, there is the Pope money, the Burstow money and maybe the Leaburn money and the Henry money to come. That's not operating income it's asset sales, but it will mean he has to put less in himself in the short term. Yes, you might be able to squeeze a little bit more commercial income out, but the key thing in L1 is ticket revenue. His prices are emptying The Valley, not filling it. That is not a prudent direction and it assumes a cheaper team can also overcome the pricing disincentive (in a cost of living crisis). 
    Not necessarily at all. Decisions like not having a CEO and sacking talented senior staff are (very reasonably) unpopular on here, but he has made a choice to drive as much limited resources to the playing staff as possible.
    I don't really understand your alternative proposition: a club like Charlton, with an owner who spends relatively big money, could reasonably expect to get into the Championship, where we were would either lose even more money by spending beyond its means or else get relegated. So "investment" brings no certainty of returns big enough to compensate.
    What alternative is there to running as tight a ship as possible and hoping that building over the long term, with a lot of luck, brings success?
    Your either/or in the championship isn't necessarily the only two options.

In the championship we could, realistically, sell a player about every 18 months and actually break even, or close to it and not get relegated.  

The issue would be where do you get a player a year to sell from.  Cat 1 academy would obviously help but you would also need to restock the player pool with shrewd signings, use the loan market, probably bolster the u21 squad with players released from the bigger academies.

It is at least in theory possible.  You can grow ticket revenue, commercial income, more TV money.

It's a pipe dream in league 1.  Who ever our owner is we will make a loss in league 1, no ifs, no buts.  We would have to sell a player for 6 or 7 million every year.  Who has ever done that? In league 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Swisdom said:
    ButtleJR said:
    what a prize tosser
    Geezer is non-league

Always the way when it’s in a chain like that. Does not always come off and effects one or two other clubs. That’s why I like getting the business done early. We had 4 months to play with not a 24 hour window 
    So does everyone else, but they all hold on for the best deal.

I do think that the transfer window should should remain open by one more day as you move down the leagues. I think this would enable players to make better decisions once they know a club from a higher league will not be coming in for them whilst also allowing the clubs to allow players to leave who are not part of the plans anymore.

The current system leaves too many players kicking their heels when they could be playing and moving on with their careers.
  • shirty5 said:

Excellent work and research however you are not entirely correct. A large proportion of the players in your list are squad fillers and padding so if a club gets them in on the last day, great, if not no big deal.

As we all know our needs were more specific, a striker was a must and defender would have been nice. The type of striker we were seeking to play garnerball rules out a lot of what was available so it was obvious one was not going to fall into our laps with 24 hours of the window left.

And if the Bonne rumours were true it makes even more laughable as I could never see him playing the the type of system Garner wants to play
  • Waking up to not even seeing Bonne signing is something I did not expect, although as others have said, the writing was on the wall. 

Clearly our owner doesn’t want to spend money anymore and everything is being done on the cheap, he spent some fees when he first got here but I think it’s a case of ‘reality bites’ for TS and he’s realised just because you spend 500k on a promising player, you aren’t always gonna see that players stock rise, so going against his own words, football really isn’t that simple. 

There were a lot of attainable players at reasonable fees in this league and league 2, the fact he hasn’t even got one shows what the future holds, 

balance the books, sell any of our valuable assets if an offer comes along, keep us competitive until a new investor/owner comes along. If he had any ambition with us he would be paying the 300-500k fees required to get the good players in contract at this level, I honestly think it’s unacceptable they’ve waited until the final minute to get a striker when they’ve had all summer. Our scouting system is terrible, all our good signings are from Ben Garners previous side, there’s no way there wasn’t National league & league 2 players ready to make the step up or even prem clubs with young players needing game time. Just seems like utter laziness and lack of knowledge 
    What I don’t understand was that there were plenty of sources claiming we were prepared to pay decent fees for Simpson and then Scully but Championship clubs came in and we didn’t stand a chance. How can you be absolutely 100% sure TS will never pay a fee again?
  • Good, well-run clubs who are in stable circumstances do not bring in players for big money or key first team positions on transfer deadline day.

It is fine to grab a bargain, pad the squad, adjust for a current/temporary injury crisis, build for the future or in some cases secure that player who has been chased and in progress for weeks if he becomes available at the price waited for. However - you should not try to fill critical first team positions unless you are prepared to overpay, walk away or be let down.

You only have to look at the teams scrabbling around in the Premier League yesterday Vs some of those who weren't to validate the above.

You can get business done early/gradually and win at deadline day - they are not mutually exclusive approaches.
  • Other than it’s a game manipulated by others I can’t see how people here are getting so excited or upset about all of this. With the caveat that I haven’t seen this lot play for a while and I’ve no idea whether anyone on here is really a great identifier or football flesh, haven’t done of the Clubs best and most enduring players come from out of the blue? Either in house alteady from the youth team or as I seem to remember Yann Kermorgant being a pick up after the window as a free agent and then in the deep past Derek Hales and Colin Powell came from less than great backgrounds - in fact most of the hyped up transfers in and out of the window have been crap. A sense of perspective is required methinks.
  • Waking up to not even seeing Bonne signing is something I did not expect, although as others have said, the writing was on the wall. 

Clearly our owner doesn’t want to spend money anymore and everything is being done on the cheap, he spent some fees when he first got here but I think it’s a case of ‘reality bites’ for TS and he’s realised just because you spend 500k on a promising player, you aren’t always gonna see that players stock rise, so going against his own words, football really isn’t that simple. 

There were a lot of attainable players at reasonable fees in this league and league 2, the fact he hasn’t even got one shows what the future holds, 

balance the books, sell any of our valuable assets if an offer comes along, keep us competitive until a new investor/owner comes along. If he had any ambition with us he would be paying the 300-500k fees required to get the good players in contract at this level, I honestly think it’s unacceptable they’ve waited until the final minute to get a striker when they’ve had all summer. Our scouting system is terrible, all our good signings are from Ben Garners previous side, there’s no way there wasn’t National league & league 2 players ready to make the step up or even prem clubs with young players needing game time. Just seems like utter laziness and lack of knowledge 
    What I don’t understand was that there were plenty of sources claiming we were prepared to pay decent fees for Simpson and then Scully but Championship clubs came in and we didn’t stand a chance. How can you be absolutely 100% sure TS will never pay a fee again?
    99.9% of those sources are twats on Twitter wanting five minutes of fame, we even had two well respected posters on here saying two players were done deals.

I would take everything you read in threads like these and elsewhere on the internet as a pinch of salt. 

Just wait until the club announce it 
  • There’s a few things for me that have tripped us up.

Not recognising how far off we were with the team that finished last season, even with the likes of CBT, Stockley, Clare and Dobson

The delay in getting BG in.  We needed a full 11/12 style revamp of the squad and we needed it early given the 13th place finish.  It took as long at it took, but it definitely impacted us detrimentally in terms of competitiveness.

The lack of foresight in resigning the cheat code that is Aneke and subsequent inability for Stockley to operate in this system.  And you can’t tell me we didn’t know it was going to be difficult for him under Garnerball. It’s not that hard to see he’s an old school, physical forward who makes a nuisance of himself and thrives on crosses.  

Not being proactive enough in trying to move on JFC, Gilbey and DJ.  This last one is difficult, but it’s also held us back 
  • edited September 2022
    IR94 said:
    izzy brown anyone?
    Didn't play a minute for Preston after signing last summer, then was released early as he was so far off being fit and ready, if I remember rightly.

Doesn't bode well.