Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cole Stockton - Morecombe

Been mentioned by a view people as a potential signing, is he what we need, is he a one season wonder, and is he better than what we’ve got?

Comments

• Options
    If Stockley and Aneke are fit, no. If not, then yes. We don't know who the strikers not currently under contract will be, so unless Kanu is ready for next year then we need an inside forward (like Nelson/Washington) IMO.  I would hope that our next big centre forwards will be Gavin and Leaburn...spend the money elsewhere.
  • Options
    I did wonder if Conor Washington was on his bike, as I think his contract is up in the summer, I would have thought he would have signed a new contract by now if he was staying.

I don’t know if Stockton would compliment who we’ve got already, so yes he’s a goal scorer, but could he play alongside Stockley?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The issue here is for me I wouldn’t want to play Stockton and Stockley in the same side consistently for 90 minutes. So unless someone comes in for Stockley, the price and wages that Stockton would likely command now, I feel would be better spent elsewhere. 

Probably on another quality quick skilful striker to push/replace Washington. Let Aneke be 4th choice/rotation with Stockley - which we are already basically paying him a lot to do I expect, as he does not have the fitness to fit into any other role.
  • Options
    How tall is he?
  • Options
    How tall is he?

• Options
    39 goals in 109 games for Morecombe, is he this seasons Paul Mullens?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stockton isn't just a big lump up front, as Quest showed in this clip, he's scored some brilliant individual goals this season

That technique and finish for the 2nd goal in particular is top class. 

However I don’t see anything here that shows him not to be a ‘big lump up front’. I put that in quotation marks, because it’s clearly obvious he is not, and he has much more technique then someone labelled like that. However if he is not the sort of player who is running the channels, pulling defenders out of position, or able to push them back because of his pace - then he’s going to be to similar to Stockley.

If we had an unlimited budget, and knew that both players would be happy being rotated or playing second fiddle then of course he would be worth the punt after the season he has had. Sadly it’s never that simple. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Just hope he doesnt become the next Nicky Ajose or Paul Benson.

I'll never mind if we bring in a goalscorer with a decent record, provided we've scouted them properly and think, yup he'll help improve us - Instead of taking a very narrow minded view of, well his stats look good, he could do that here too
  • Options
    Just hope he doesnt become the next Nicky Ajose or Paul Benson.

I'll never mind if we bring in a goalscorer with a decent record, provided we've scouted them properly and think, yup he'll help improve us - Instead of taking a very narrow minded view of, well his stats look good, he could do that here too
    Not forgetting of course Izale Mac , although I’ve spent years trying to..
  • Options
    Alfie May is a local lad I believe. My brother used to play cricket with him at farningham 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The centre forwards I think are attainable and would improve us next season can be picked from 

Number 9s
    Stockton - Morecombe 
    Rudoni - AFC Wimbledon 
    Mandron - Crewe 
    Oliver - Gillingham
    Bishop - Accrington Stanley  

10/8's
    Matt Stevens - FGR 
    Harry Smith - Leyton Orient 
    Alfie May - Cheltenham 
    Paddy Madden - Fleetwood 

I think Rudoni is more of an attacking midfielder/winger than a striker, good player but not sure if he fits our formation, Assall also from Wimbledon another good one to look at but again plays out wide more than through the middle. Would take Stockton or Stevens as the best from those but wouldn't mind May and Bishop as I'd imagine we will be behind a few others in the pecking order.

Malik Wilks is out of contract, if Hull don't offer him a new one we should be going all out for him. Was quality in league 1 for Doncaster and Hull. Have seen him linked with Peterborough as they are managed by Grant McCann so I think we would have to really put some money in front of him for it to happen. Also Tom Eaves is out of contract if we wanted someone more in the Stockley mould 
  • Options
    To similar to Stockley for me.

If we lose Washington we need another player like him, you can't play Stockley and Stockton together, it just won't work
  • Options
    edited April 2022

If we lose Washington we need another player like him, you can't play Stockley and Stockton together, it just won't work
    Although he's a big lad, he still has fantastic feet, can bang a goal from distance and would be a great signing.
    Agree that we do still need pace up top. Stockley, Aneke, Stockton + another for me. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Although he's a big lad, he still has fantastic feet, can bang a goal from distance and would be a great signing.
    Agree that we do still need pace up top. Stockley, Aneke, Stockton + another for me. 
    Ok say we spend money on Stockton.

We are not starting with stockley and Stockton as you sat we need pace up front.

So we are even spending money on Stockton to come in and sit on the bench or Stockley will be on the bench and be unhappy as he is to good to just sit on our bench.

I just think there are other areas we need to spend money as a priority
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Macauley Bonne is likely to be available on loan. I'm not a fan but know many are. Highly unlikely that he's going to be playing Championship football next season.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The centre forwards I think are attainable and would improve us next season can be picked from 

Number 9s
    Stockton - Morecombe 
    Rudoni - AFC Wimbledon 
    Mandron - Crewe 
    Oliver - Gillingham
    Bishop - Accrington Stanley  

10/8's
    Matt Stevens - FGR 
    Harry Smith - Leyton Orient 
    Alfie May - Cheltenham 
    Paddy Madden - Fleetwood 

There's the risk that he's a one season wonder, but Dom Telford (Newport) is another one who stands out. 24 league goals for Newport this season, and out of contract in the summer. I imagine there will be a lot of competition for him though
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    Macauley Bonne is likely to be available on loan. I'm not a fan but know many are. Highly unlikely that he's going to be playing Championship football next season.
    Ipswich may well sign him, for a start.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Focus the money on getting a better midfield, and then Stockley will bang in the goals as we know he can. 

Off the back of a disappointing season for the team it can be easy to fall into the trap of thinking that everything needs resetting. However, in Stockley I genuinely believe we have one of the best strikers in League One.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    Ipswich may well sign him, for a start.
    I'd be surprised. He's not been a regular starter since January. 

12 goals in 39 for the season is not a great return. Stockley has 11 in 29.
  • Options
    Stockton isn't the answer. 

We need a technical striker to link the midfield, wingers and Stockley. 

Washington tries but isn't good enough to be that. 

We need a Kermorgant-esque link player. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Focus the money on getting a better midfield, and then Stockley will bang in the goals as we know he can. 

Off the back of a disappointing season for the team it can be easy to fall into the trap of thinking that everything needs resetting. However, in Stockley I genuinely believe we have one of the best strikers in League One.
    I think your right, midfielder doesn’t create enough chances / score enough goals, still think we need another decent striker up top, if we want to progress.
  • Options
    I'd worry that Stockton is a one season wonder. Not a spring chicken and he's never even been close to this seasons stats ever so maybe him and morecambe just clicked this season?
  • Options
    Would rather get Adam Phillips than Stockton. 

Goals and assists from a position that we need. 
  • Options
    Would rather get Adam Phillips than Stockton. 

Goals and assists from a position that we need. 
    On loan isn’t he? He probably be playing for Burnley next season if they go down.