Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cole Stockton - Morecombe

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Best striker at the valley this season, showed us yet again why Pearce needs to go and genuinely reckon whoever gets him will go up next season providing they have quality elsewhere. 

He reminds me of Lyle Taylor, had a bit of a shite career, moved around Scotland and lower leagues etc, promoted from league 2 via Wembley and now looking like the best striker in the league for one of the worst sides, who of course beat us.. 

I’d let Washington walk and offer him whatever Washington was on with more and goal bonuses/promotion clauses etc. 

Lyle Taylor was exactly the comparison I was thinking of, as his movement is good enough to cause L1 defences all sorts of problems. He's far more than just a goal poacher

Geography sadly counts against us in this case, whereas it benefited us with getting Taylor.
    It was like watching Lyle all over again when he played against us imo. Held it up well, showed some intelligent runs, linked play, bullied Jason Pearce just as Lyle did and then had some of our fans on strings, one in particular in the front row of the north lower haha

absolutely not a target man and we should be matching any realistic offer we can to attain him, already can see him in a Sheffield Wednesday or Rotherham kit though 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Best striker at the valley this season, showed us yet again why Pearce needs to go and genuinely reckon whoever gets him will go up next season providing they have quality elsewhere. 

He reminds me of Lyle Taylor, had a bit of a shite career, moved around Scotland and lower leagues etc, promoted from league 2 via Wembley and now looking like the best striker in the league for one of the worst sides, who of course beat us.. 

I’d let Washington walk and offer him whatever Washington was on with more and goal bonuses/promotion clauses etc. 

Lyle Taylor was exactly the comparison I was thinking of, as his movement is good enough to cause L1 defences all sorts of problems. He's far more than just a goal poacher

Geography sadly counts against us in this case, whereas it benefited us with getting Taylor.
    It was like watching Lyle all over again when he played against us imo. Held it up well, showed some intelligent runs, linked play, bullied Jason Pearce just as Lyle did and then had some of our fans on strings, one in particular in the front row of the north lower haha

absolutely not a target man and we should be matching any realistic offer we can to attain him, already can see him in a Sheffield Wednesday or Rotherham kit though 
    With the battle for promotion being so competitive, there will be plenty of big northern teams in the shout next season, Sunderland could be another one
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Stockton was excellent first half, looked real quality and scored with a fantastic finish. To be fair to Pearce I thought he battled back in the second and in my opinion won quite a few duels against him
  • Options
    Thought for a period in the first half he looked quick, powerful, dynamic, and kept getting into decent positions, which made himself a couple of chances and eventually a well taken goal.

2nd half I thought he looked awful, and didn’t really contribute anything.
    It works for him when he's supported, otherwise he's an isolated Striker with nothing he can do on his own
    Well indeed. Though he couldn’t even hold the ball up, as he kept either getting out muscled by Pearce (literally when he got the customary rugby tackle), or out-moved to it by Clare.

At the end of the day all I saw was a player who had a few chances, took one, and was anonymous for much of it (sounds familiar). Nothing, as Sage alluded to recently, to make me think we should be spunking our budget on him. 
    He was isolated in the 2nd half as Morecambe defended deeper & deeper & towards the end relied on just clearing the ball upfield. Even then Stockton got on the end of a few clearances & Pearce won one ball at the end just by being so slow that he got the rebound as the ball deflected off Stockton. 

No idea if Stockton is the answer but I can bet you a pound to a penny if we had  swapped the Stockers this season we would now be sitting a lot higher than 15th !
  • Options
    Stockley has not played well the last few games but still scores even so - Wimbledon and yesterday 
    He is a very good player at this level in both boxes 
    The people who criticise him are mirroring those who used to say the same about Leaburn 
    He needs a natural goal scorer alongside him and although Washington is a decent player he’s not a good finisher 
  • Options
    One of the relegated Championship teams or more affluent league one sides that have failed this season is where he’s heading. I would say we’ve a very slim chance. Very slim.
  • Options
    Unless we go out with a real statement of intent getting players in early as soon as the window opens like we did under Powell's title winning season the chances of the league's best players choosing us over bigger clubs and other rivals in this league is non existent.

Our 'marquee' signings in recent years have been more wendy house.

Unless we see real intent and activity early doors it'll more than likely be more of the same as the past few seasons ie too little too late and a whole lot of hope.

We'll see in the next few weeks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Well, we can try. If we do get a windfall then maybe a cheeky bid could land him. Sadly, it may be more difficult if Morecambe stay up, and we have helped them do that, as if they got relegated I think they would definitely have to let him go.

He does share some qualities with Stockley but there is a lot of his game we are missing and need. I worked that out a few months back and I hope Jacko has. He said some nice things about him before the game.
  • Options
    One hot season will probably convince a PNE of this world to blow some cash on him. 
  • Options
    Not having the Stockley bashing on here. He's one of our better players and even when he doesn't play well (like yesterday) he still scores and is vital at the back. I was impressed with Stocton yesterday. Served us a few warnings, with different types of half chances, before scoring with a clinical finish. Sadly I feel he'll have better options than moving to The Valley this summer. But this is 100% the calibre of player we should look at. Forget waiting for teams higher up the food chain to finalise their sqauds and work out who they're going to loan out, something that's churned out every bloody year. We should go after the best players from leagues 1, 2 and the national league.
  • Options
    Well, we can try. If we do get a windfall then maybe a cheeky bid could land him. Sadly, it may be more difficult if Morecambe stay up, and we have helped them do that, as if they got relegated I think they would definitely have to let him go.

He does share some qualities with Stockley but there is a lot of his game we are missing and need. I worked that out a few months back and I hope Jacko has. He said some nice things about him before the game.
    It won't make any difference whether they stay up or not, he'll be off, and for a good fee too. With the best wishes of the fans and club you'd expect.

Indeed I imagine the Morecambe fans are just happy he stayed to end of the season, rather than going in January
  • Options
    What I liked the most about Stockton was his movement in the box. He knew when to get across his defender, when to peel off the man, all the right moves to make sure he had as much space as possible to get a shot off.
  • Options
    Their no 3 , Leigh was impressive.  
    Thought he was good at their place as well
  • Options
    Knowing our luck we'd get the version of him that scored 10 in 80 games at League 2 & Conference level, rather than the one scoring 1 in 2 in our league.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Their no 3 , Leigh was impressive.  
    Thought he was good at their place as well
    I too was very impressed with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bravo to Thai and Neil for your partnership; I found it so punny.

Cole Stockton and Matt Tees would have been a fine partnership.
  • Options
    Stockton on Tees a less appetising thought.
  • Options
    Preston, Championship team in the north, trumps Charlton, League 1 side in the south.
  • Options
    Stockley is fine for us, he's scoring a goal every 190 minutes which is better than Smith at Rotherham by 2 mins per goal. We need someone else who can match that really like Rotherham have in Ladapo along with far more contribution from the rest of their team.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Thought he had a touch of Craig Mackail-Smith about ho

• Options
    Thought he was a poor mans Lee Trundle to be honest, he's having a great season, however his record prior makes it look like a bit of a freak one