Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cole Stockton - Morecombe

Comments

• Options
    Fuck all chance of him signing for us. He will move, probably into the Championship and think there is zero chance of him moving south.

TBH, the mess we are in, unless we are paying sky high wages who are we going to attract to improve us.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Thought for a period in the first half he looked quick, powerful, dynamic, and kept getting into decent positions, which made himself a couple of chances and eventually a well taken goal.

2nd half I thought he looked awful, and didn’t really contribute anything.
    It works for him when he's supported, otherwise he's an isolated Striker with nothing he can do on his own
    Well indeed. Though he couldn’t even hold the ball up, as he kept either getting out muscled by Pearce (literally when he got the customary rugby tackle), or out-moved to it by Clare.

At the end of the day all I saw was a player who had a few chances, took one, and was anonymous for much of it (sounds familiar). Nothing, as Sage alluded to recently, to make me think we should be spunking our budget on him. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    They are different players despite what some say. Stockton I believe would be a decent partner for Stockley and to be fair, Stockley scores goals. Away from home especially he clears a lot of balls from our own area. Those that say Stockton won't come south, well he might. Mendonca did. It isn't a given that players from the north can't settle. If we get a boost with money in for Pope and Gomez or both  I would try a £350k build but would go up to £500k. Cheap for a player that will help us get promoted.
  • Options
    They are different players despite what some say. Stockton I believe would be a decent partner for Stockley and to be fair, Stockley scores goals. Away from home especially he clears a lot of balls from our own area.Those that say he won't come south, well he might. Mendonca did. It isn't a given that players from the north can't settle. 
    Assuming both Stockley and Aneke will be here next year, and that it will be very competitive market for Stockton and he won’t come cheap at all - especially to make him uproot and move south.

Interested to here how much of the budget you would allocate to Stockton, a player who has only had one good season at this
    level when we need to strengthen across the pitch. 

For you which other areas of the pitch do you also think need improving on, and would you compromise on them to bring in him in? 

I just wouldn’t. For me Stockley and Aneke offer much the same of what he does. They are all the same age and all have similar goal records across their careers (though Stockley’s is better, and both his and Anekes are across a higher level).

Strikers cost a premium, and I’d much rather if we were going to spend that money it would be on someone younger who we can develop further. Then a player who apart from one very good season, has not shown anything else throughout his career to prove he is justifies that sort of outlay.
  • Options
    More chance of us signing Nat King Cole than this fella.
  • Options
    On today’s evidence, I know which number 9 I would rather have in the team.

Stockley needs to take a long look in the mirror.
    Exactly this, sadly no comparison, oh to have a striker that’s prepared to shoot from outside the box . 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Defence needs a massive overhaul. I'd be happy with one strong goalscoring midfielder and Stockton. I'm happy with Dobson and Clare as his deputy, Gilbey (who I think needs a good pre-season), JFC, Fraser and I think we are stuck with Morgan for a season. I'd rather put the budget we have on as good as we can get for one more midfielder. I don't know what the budget is going to be and indeed it may be subject to factors like sell on clauses and Kirk being sold. But if we don't spend a bit we are not going to go up and that will be Sandgaard's fault not Jackos.

I reckon £1.5m could get us up.
  • Options
    I’ve just remembered Stockley’s hoof early in the second half! Who on earth was that to? The ball ended up closer to our net once their full back picked it up.

Brain dead the lot of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Leuth said:
    Thought for a period in the first half he looked quick, powerful, dynamic, and kept getting into decent positions, which made himself a couple of chances and eventually a well taken goal.

It works for him when he's supported, otherwise he's an isolated Striker with nothing he can do on his own
    Well indeed. Though he couldn’t even hold the ball up, as he kept either getting out muscled by Pearce (literally when he got the customary rugby tackle), or out-moved to it by Clare.

At the end of the day all I saw was a player who had a few chances, took one, and was anonymous for much of it (sounds familiar). Nothing, as Sage alluded to recently, to make me think we should be spunking our budget on him. 
    He terrorised us, scored an absolutely clinical finish, linked play and then became totally isolated in the second half. If you saw that and thought 'we've already got that' then...I dunno what to say 
    Pearce got tight every single time and Stockton got the better of him. All Pearce wants to do is battle and hold and hug, he’s past it. If Inniss was up against him, Stockton would have looked non-league. The space we afforded for his goal was typical Charlton throughout the entire season. Exactly as their second goal too. Pathetic defending.
  • Options
    Stockton has scored 26 goals this season in a struggling team. The finish for his goal was class and his movement was excellent. Not bad for a non league quality player.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

He terrorised us, scored an absolutely clinical finish, linked play and then became totally isolated in the second half. If you saw that and thought 'we've already got that' then...I dunno what to say 

So have a lot of other strikers this season because we carry to much crap in the midfield and the defence is an accident waiting to happen most of the time.
  • Options
    Has to be our number one target if the club is serious 
  • Options
    Has to be our number one target if the club is serious 
    It would give me a lot of optimism if it happened.
  • Options
    I’ve got Massive reservations about Stockers next season, I love him to bits and appreciate He’s good In both boxes, but my gut is telling. Me he’ll struggle with injuries, Cole Stockton, he would terrorize defenses If we sign him.,probably will end up at Sheff Weds.
  • Options

Martin Sandgaard told him at half time to stop terrorising our defence if he wanted his dream move to The Valley 
  • Options
    More chance of us signing Nat King Cole than this fella.
    Lloyd Cole and the Commotions would give us more goals than our forwards
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don't know if Stockton is the one, but I do know we would look a much better team if we had a striker who could link the player like he does. Stockley is embarrassing with his feet. I found myself laughing at some of his moments today. 
    That 'Stockley tries to switch the play but there's no one in the space he's played it to' moment second half lol. 

He's not as good as Aneke, but is certainly fitter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair he looked better than anything we have today 
  • Options
    Totally anonymous?! He had three reasonably serious efforts on goal before he scored. Looked an excellent 3rd Division forward to me. 
  • Options
    He was good, but some of the praise is well OTT. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    He was good, but some of the praise is well OTT. 
    It’s probably due to the 22 goals this season before todays game
  • Options
    On today’s evidence, I know which number 9 I would rather have in the team.

Stockley needs to take a long look in the mirror.
    Stockley not fit .. and unlikely to be still
    next season 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Indeed he definitely looked a better all round player than Stockley today, and seems to be a better finisher than Washington
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Indeed he definitely looked a better all round player than Stockley today, and seems to be a better finisher than Washington
    He is. 
    Quite a few were saying would he be best playing with Stockley or Washington?
    I'd have Stockton in the team and work out who plays best with him.
    (Not that I expect us to sign the best L1 striker).
    I think Alfie May is more realistic. 
  • Options
    Best striker at the valley this season, showed us yet again why Pearce needs to go and genuinely reckon whoever gets him will go up next season providing they have quality elsewhere. 

He reminds me of Lyle Taylor, had a bit of a shite career, moved around Scotland and lower leagues etc, promoted from league 2 via Wembley and now looking like the best striker in the league for one of the worst sides, who of course beat us.. 

I’d let Washington walk and offer him whatever Washington was on with more and goal bonuses/promotion clauses etc. 

• Options
    Best striker at the valley this season, showed us yet again why Pearce needs to go and genuinely reckon whoever gets him will go up next season providing they have quality elsewhere. 

He reminds me of Lyle Taylor, had a bit of a shite career, moved around Scotland and lower leagues etc, promoted from league 2 via Wembley and now looking like the best striker in the league for one of the worst sides, who of course beat us.. 

I’d let Washington walk and offer him whatever Washington was on with more and goal bonuses/promotion clauses etc. 

Lyle Taylor was exactly the comparison I was thinking of, as his movement is good enough to cause L1 defences all sorts of problems. He's far more than just a goal poacher

Geography sadly counts against us in this case, whereas it benefited us with getting Taylor.
  • Options
    Stockley, Washington and Aneke are all good strikers at this level capable of getting into double figures.

What we’re missing is that top quality striker who you’d be confident in if they were leading the line in the Championship. Kermorgant and Taylor gave us that.

Stockton is potentially that player. Not sure we'll go for him, for balance we might prefer to go for a quick striker rather than more of a target man.