Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cole Stockton - Morecombe

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Macauley Bonne is likely to be available on loan. I'm not a fan but know many are. Highly unlikely that he's going to be playing Championship football next season.
    Ipswich may well sign him, for a start.
    I'd be surprised. He's not been a regular starter since January. 

12 goals in 39 for the season is not a great return. Stockley has 11 in 29.
    It's interesting that since the new manager came in, James Norwood and Kayden Jackson who were there last season have come back in from the cold
  • Options
    Stockton isn't the answer. 

We need a technical striker to link the midfield, wingers and Stockley. 

Washington tries but isn't good enough to be that. 

We need a Kermorgant-esque link player. 
    I really don't think a Kerms esque player would work alongside Stockley, we need someone with a bit of pace. I don't think a Washington type player would be a bad thing either, at least would mean we wouldn't have to change style too much if Washington was in the side in place of the new signing. 
  • Options
    I'd worry that Stockton is a one season wonder. Not a spring chicken and he's never even been close to this seasons stats ever so maybe him and morecambe just clicked this season?
    Problem is, you can say that about 99% of the forwards at this level. 

Ross Stewart has 22 in 35 but he wasn't particularly prolific in Scotland nor in his first half season at Sunderland. Similar applies to Ryan Hardie at Plymouth. Will Keane has suffered with injuries but never really scored. 

If we go back to last season, Charlie Wyke, Dion Charles and Luke Jephcott were three of the top scorers who haven't done much this season (I know Wyke's season was ended early). Vadaine Oliver was probably a 'one season wonder' who has chipped in at a poor Gillingham side. Magennis smashed them in for Hull but only has 3 for Wigan since dropping back down. 

The only anomaly really is Matty Taylor and he's now 32. From League 2 Cole Stockton did score goals last season so at least he's not completely a one season wonder. Joe Ironside is similar at Cambridge, chipping in both seasons, although not sure he'd be a worthwhile signing as first choice. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Macauley Bonne is likely to be available on loan. I'm not a fan but know many are. Highly unlikely that he's going to be playing Championship football next season.
    Ipswich may well sign him, for a start.
    Barely scored in 2022. I think 1. Had a good start to the season and has since gone awol. He is so bad I would be very upset if we got him back.
  • Options
    Malik Wilks is a good shout.
  • Options
    Pay Peterborough whatever it costs to land Clark,-Harris. Confident if he was our only signing in the summer we would all be certain of promotion 
    Have you seen him play for Posh this season.He has only just started scoring goals. 
  • Options
    Stockton isn't just a big lump up front, as Quest showed in this clip, he's scored some brilliant individual goals this season

Thank you for sharing.. Some of them goals remind me of Yann.. I am not totally sold on him, as I feel he could be a one season wonder, and we have been down that path many of times! But if on a free, maybe worth a punt.. 
  • Options
    Mentioned him in the other thread but Anthony Scully from Lincoln.

They picked him up from the West Ham academy a couple of years back. Only 22 years old. Played very well at the Valley and has had a good season overall with 10 goals and 7 assists from 31 games which is a good improvement from the 11 goals and four assists he managed from 43 games the season prior.

He has played primarily off the left side this season & was more often on the right last season. Full of running and think he could do very well playing the Conor Washington role.
    Would have been a perfect signing last summer.

The is no reason you couldn't play Stockley and Stockton together but not with the players we have got. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Haven't seen him, but could he be a Ricky Lambert/ Grant Holt?...
  • Options
    28 years old and always played for northern clubs.

I'm confident that if Morecambe do sell him, then he'd end up somewhere like Barnsley, Rotherham or Bolton.
  • Options
    lucky him lol
  • Options
    Cannot see him coming south 
  • Options
    he has been discussed here quite a lot before .. he looks very good and scores terrific goals .. question is, over the long term is he the real deal or another Ajosé ? .. only time will tell .. IF we go after him, he'll be priced very high if Morecambe escape relegation, If they are relegated, I suspect the price will be lower .. expect a LOT of clubs to be after him in either case .. I reckon he is Championship bound .. Blackburn, Wigan ? ..  somewhere like that
  • Options
    If they were to miss out on promotion, Stockton strikes me as a Rotherham signing shortly after they lose Michael Smith to Wigan.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    To similar to Stockley for me.

If we lose Washington we need another player like him, you can't play Stockley and Stockton together, it just won't work
    Although he's a big lad, he still has fantastic feet, can bang a goal from distance and would be a great signing.
    Agree that we do still need pace up top. Stockley, Aneke, Stockton + another for me. 
    Ok say we spend money on Stockton.

We are not starting with stockley and Stockton as you sat we need pace up front.

So we are even spending money on Stockton to come in and sit on the bench or Stockley will be on the bench and be unhappy as he is to good to just sit on our bench.

I just think there are other areas we need to spend money as a priority
    Why not? 

We need a pacy striker in the squad but if we play with creativity/pace on the week we could accomodate both starting. 
  • Options
    Just think if we sign him it’ll be two summers in a row we’ve signed a player for Morecambe.

Maybe having Lavelle will help our chances? He had only played in the north west until we signed him.
  • Options

They picked him up from the West Ham academy a couple of years back. Only 22 years old. Played very well at the Valley and has had a good season overall with 10 goals and 7 assists from 31 games which is a good improvement from the 11 goals and four assists he managed from 43 games the season prior.

He has played primarily off the left side this season & was more often on the right last season. Full of running and think he could do very well playing the Conor Washington role.
    He played well in the away game too. 

I'm sure Stockton is a good player but I'd prefer someone younger and who's scored goals down south, so we don't have another Redfearn, Gray, Kirk scenario.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I am staggard why in League One, you are not allowed to have players with similar attributes, especially when they have different characteristics too. Say our opponents decide to put their big strong defender on Stockley, who do they put on Stockton?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:

I'm sure Stockton is a good player but I'd prefer someone younger and who's scored goals down south, so we don't have another Redfearn, Gray, Kirk scenario.
    Or a Mendonca, Hunt or Shirtliff one?

If you rule out anyone on the basis of a player that didn't work out previously you would never sign anyone. 
  • Options
    This sort of transfer policy is classic big club gambling. Decent player moves from small club with a balanced squad to a bigger club with holes throughout the first 11, with the new signing being expected to carry the whole fricking team.

Eg Charlie Kirk

Hopefully JJ has a better transfer plan than "just get me a half decent striker" 
  • Options
    What the fuck

Are you all doing this deliberately now 
  • Options
    I'd worry that Stockton is a one season wonder. Not a spring chicken and he's never even been close to this seasons stats ever so maybe him and morecambe just clicked this season?
    He may well be a one season wonder and I feel he is far more likely to sign for a northern club than Charlton.
    But his goals aren't just tap ins, being in the right place at the right time.
    He's scored from the opposition half or close to the half way line at least once (twice I think) and has scored some incredible long range goals, which are more about his technique, than having a lucky season. 
  • Options
    Malik Wilks is a good shout.
    I think it unlikely that Wilks would choose to move from The Championship to Charlton.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RedPanda said:

Or a Mendonca, Hunt or Shirtliff one?

If you rule out anyone on the basis of a player that didn't work out previously you would never sign anyone. 
    All prolific over multiple seasons, the 2 forwards there used to score against us seemingly every year and at a higher level.

I'll change my mind after Stockton scores a brace against us on Friday :)
  • Options
    Pay Peterborough whatever it costs to land Clark,-Harris. Confident if he was our only signing in the summer we would all be certain of promotion 
    Clarke-Harris would definitely be a very good signing and he's possible as he does seem to move clubs a fair bit.
  • Options
    I am staggard why in League One, you are not allowed to have players with similar attributes, especially when they have different characteristics too. Say our opponents decide to put their big strong defender on Stockley, who do they put on Stockton?
    Of course you are allowed players with similar attributes, and absolutely no one has said you cannot. What seems to be the clear consensus is that the money that Stockton will command would be better used elsewhere - especially when we have Aneke already in the team. With a budget we will inevitably have to work towards, we can't be using a large chunk of that on a player who may not be first choice or who is not a necessity.

Also how many teams across the whole football league routinely play 90 minutes with two players like Stockley and Stockton up front? If that was the current football meta, and was what was got results, then absolutely use the budget to bring in another player like that. However, they don't, and we already have a striker (on good wages no doubt) who fulfils that role very very well, and a back up (who when fit and also on good wages no doubt) can play that role and be a little more dynamic whilst doing it.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I would say people have absolutely said they are too similar to play together. I would imagine most League One clubs would find it hard to have a Stockley and a Stockton playing together for financial reasons. Both Stockton and Stockley score goals in league One, that is similar. Stockton scores a fair few from outside the box and apart from Saturday, that is something we have missed. But people also get too fixed on the first eleven. We should be looking at the bench and injuries and how many points have injures cost us this season?

Absolutely two physical players can play together, but if one is injured, you still have that physical presence. Also how you set up will depend on horses for courses as well as circumstances.