Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley and Nick Pope

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    iamdan said:
    Didn’t ESI call in some of the sell on clauses? 
    Or something. 
    I thought that was their plan, but they didn't get the chance to.

In terms of Pope, he probably feels that if he has a decent season up to the World Cup, he has every chance. It probably doesn't matter what club, but he will want to be in the Premier League. West Ham would be perfect for him but Fulham would be better than staying at Burnley from a personal level. I think either of those could pay £17m to £20m.

I don't know if the sell ons were on profit or based on the fee.
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Or something. 
    You would have thought so...
  • Options
    Why is everyone making the assumption that he would only stay in the Prem? An England international could just as easily find a club abroad too.
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Or something. 
    See the Cawley tweet I posted near the top of the thread.
  • Options
    Pope needs to get alot better with the ball at his feet for a top side, agreed he's an excellent keeper/shot stopper though
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I still think there’s a chance he could stay there if they go down.

English goalkeepers aren’t around in abundance in the Premier League - hence why you still see Johnstone from West Brom getting call ups regularly even though they are in the Championship.

As we’ve seen with Fulham in recent years, the parachute payments are enough to keep the big earners hanging around.

Think it all depends on whether a big club comes in for him which he/Burnley simply can’t refuse.
    Not that he'll start, but the fact it's a world cup year would likely make him want to leave.
    Why on earth would Nick want to spend 2-3 weeks in a hotel in Qatar? Certainly not worth basing career decisions around something like that.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

English goalkeepers aren’t around in abundance in the Premier League - hence why you still see Johnstone from West Brom getting call ups regularly even though they are in the Championship.

As we’ve seen with Fulham in recent years, the parachute payments are enough to keep the big earners hanging around.

Think it all depends on whether a big club comes in for him which he/Burnley simply can’t refuse.
    Not that he'll start, but the fact it's a world cup year would likely make him want to leave.
    Why on earth would Nick want to spend 2-3 weeks in a hotel in Qatar? Certainly not worth basing career decisions around something like that.
    We all know Pickford will start, but Pope may well back himself to be ahead of Ramsdale.

So then it'd feel like he's one injury away from playing in a World Cup.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

We all know Pickford will start, but Pope may well back himself to be ahead of Ramsdale.

Can think of better things he could do with three weeks of his life than playing one game in a tin-pot tournament in the desert.  o:)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Can think of better things he could do with three weeks of his life than playing one game in a tin-pot tournament in the desert.  o:)
    Each to their own I guess.

If I was a footballer I'd want to go to the World Cup.

Got the rest of his life for holidays in the sun etc.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Leicester.

Schmeichel is 35 now, 36 this year, their back up keepers are not good and are old. A solid keeper like Pope for the next few years and at a club where he’ll get more attention to be included in the England squad. 
    Danny Ward is only 28 and Leicester paid £12.5m to bring him to the club with the intention of replacing Schmeichel. He's the Wales national keeper, which I know isn't the biggest compliment in the world, but he's a Premier League level keeper and he's there specifically to take over from Kasper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Out of contract at the end of this season, premier clubs already queuing up for him .......... allegedly
  • Options
    who in the prem would currently take Pope??
    Spurs. 
  • Options
    Spurs. 
    The ones that are getting Johnstone on a free? 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    cafctom said:

Out of contract at the end of this season, premier clubs already queuing up for him .......... allegedly
    Most were expecting him to go in January, but it fell through
  • Options
    Spurs. 
    Remember when Chelsea had the best 2 Keepers in the Prem at once ?
    Cudicini and Cech 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Sage said:
    Leicester.

Schmeichel is 35 now, 36 this year, their back up keepers are not good and are old. A solid keeper like Pope for the next few years and at a club where he’ll get more attention to be included in the England squad. 
    Danny Ward is only 28 and Leicester paid £12.5m to bring him to the club with the intention of replacing Schmeichel. He's the Wales national keeper, which I know isn't the biggest compliment in the world, but he's a Premier League level keeper and he's there specifically to take over from Kasper.
    I said not good and old. So he’s not good and Jakupovic is old.

Ward has never had a single season playing in the Premier League. He is not a Premier League keeper. At his age he has had what, one full season in the Championship? Ward won’t be the replacement to Schmeichel when he retires. Liverpool also always get good money for players who will never make it at the club, they are very good at that so the fee really doesn’t mean much at all. They got a combined total of around £50 million for Ward, Ibe, and Solanke. So far they’ve played an accumulated total of 120 Premier League games across 10 seasons. Not bad going for the selling club, even if Solanke has finally found form this season. 
  • Options
    Spurs. 
    Certainly going to be interesting: in terms of England keepers, Johnstone, Pope and Henderson all look pretty likely to move this summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £9.5 million it is then.
     :D 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    No way they will pay £40m for Pope but anything over £20m would be a positive for us.
  • Options
    West Ham would have him 
  • Options
    It's probably already been mentioned on another thread but it looks like Nick Pope is about to sign for Forest this week. Not sure what fee if any?
  • Options
    It's probably already been mentioned on another thread but it looks like Nick Pope is about to sign for Forest this week. Not sure what fee if any?
    Sounds like it’ll be nowhere near £40m. Closer to £10-15m. Fulham sniffing around too. 
  • Options
    I'd be shocked if he ends up at Forest as i would've thought a few other clubs would want a relatively cheap England keeper. I thought Forest's current keeper Samba was quite good anyway?
  • Options
    I'd be shocked if he ends up at Forest as i would've thought a few other clubs would want a relatively cheap England keeper. I thought Forest's current keeper Samba was quite good anyway?
    Samba has refused a contract offer and has requested to leave the club.
  • Options
    So Forest are desperate for a keeper, and Pope is English (adding a weird tax to his pricetag) and valued by Burnley at £40m

There's no way they sell him for £10m surely
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    sam3110 said:
    So Forest are desperate for a keeper, and Pope is English (adding a weird tax to his pricetag) and valued by Burnley at £40m

There's no way they sell him for £10m surely
    But isn't his value also dictated by the length of his contract and does he only have one year left on it? If that is true then in January he can start talking to clubs about going on a "free" at the end of the season. Do Burnley's money grabbing owners want to gamble on that happening especially as he's probably costing them £2m plus a year.
  • Options
    Because he feels the contract offered was really low. So instead of paying him a bit more they're going to instead pay out 10-15m for Pope plus whatever his wages are (a hell of a lot more than Samba's i'm sure).

Doesn't seem the smartest move when their money is probably better used in other areas of the team.