Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley and Nick Pope

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    I'd be shocked if he ends up at Forest as i would've thought a few other clubs would want a relatively cheap England keeper. I thought Forest's current keeper Samba was quite good anyway?
    Samba has refused a contract offer and has requested to leave the club.
    So Forest are desperate for a keeper, and Pope is English (adding a weird tax to his pricetag) and valued by Burnley at £40m

There's no way they sell him for £10m surely
    But isn't his value also dictated by the length of his contract and does he only have one year left on it? If that is true then in January he can start talking to clubs about going on a "free" at the end of the season. Do Burnley's money grabbing owners want to gamble on that happening especially as he's probably costing them £2m plus a year.
    He has one year left but Burnley have an option to extend by another year, so it's basically 2 years left. 
  • Options
    I'd be shocked if he ends up at Forest as i would've thought a few other clubs would want a relatively cheap England keeper. I thought Forest's current keeper Samba was quite good anyway?
    Because he feels the contract offered was really low. So instead of paying him a bit more they're going to instead pay out 10-15m for Pope plus whatever his wages are (a hell of a lot more than Samba's i'm sure).

Doesn't seem the smartest move when their money is probably better used in other areas of the team.
    Small amount in the context of staying in the division. But I wouldn't have thought Pope was suited to Steve Cooper's style of play.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    So Forest are desperate for a keeper, and Pope is English (adding a weird tax to his pricetag) and valued by Burnley at £40m

If Burnley think they are getting 40 million they are in a dream world! Burnley need to sell players very quickly. Best we can hope 2 clubs get in to a bidding war for him, if not he'll go for around 12.5
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    sam3110 said:

But isn't his value also dictated by the length of his contract and does he only have one year left on it? If that is true then in January he can start talking to clubs about going on a "free" at the end of the season. Do Burnley's money grabbing owners want to gamble on that happening especially as he's probably costing them £2m plus a year.
    He has one year left but Burnley have an option to extend by another year, so it's basically 2 years left. 
    Pretty sure they would have a break in that if they are relegated. 
  • Options
    Because he feels the contract offered was really low. So instead of paying him a bit more they're going to instead pay out 10-15m for Pope plus whatever his wages are (a hell of a lot more than Samba's i'm sure).

Doesn't seem the smartest move when their money is probably better used in other areas of the team.
    From what I've read Samba is quite unhappy that he was undervalued and so there's no guarantee he'll accept a higher amount. As he only has one year left on his deal they'll probably be forced to sell him rather than lose him for free. 
  • Options

From what I've read Samba is quite unhappy that he was undervalued and so there's no guarantee he'll accept a higher amount. As he only has one year left on his deal they'll probably be forced to sell him rather than lose him for free. 
    Be just our luck they end up doing a swap deal with no cash involved and we end up with nowt
  • Options

Agent talk, wanting a better offer
  • Options

Wonder if Forest leaked the interest in Pope to persuade Samba to sign?  Look, you keep asking for too much money and we'll sign him instead, drop your demands a bit....
  • Options
    Why would he go to Forest?
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Why would he go to Forest?
    First team premier league football. There’s not many other alternatives, if it’s a choice between Forest and Burnley no brainer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty sure there will be bigger clubs in for him
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Pretty sure there will be bigger clubs in for him
    Possibly. I only see West Ham or Newcastle as realistic options and both have been linked elsewhere 
  • Options
    What about Spurs? Lloris has had his best years now? 
  • Options
    Doesn’t sound like they are in the market to replace him this summer. Forster will sign as number 2. I agree they’re probably better signing a younger keeper to compete with Lloris and then take over but doubt they’ll go down that route.
  • Options
    Aside from the fact they're about to sign Forster, if he went there he'd only be backup to Lloris. He's only going to sign for a club where he can be number 1 as wants to play so he can go to the world cup. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I expect Samba reckons he can do better. To be honest, his perormance in the Play Off semi was top drawer. It would be surprising if the Pope fee was as low as £10m but that still represents decent money for us.
  • Options
    Think people had their expectations set too high with the money. 

He's a 30 year old fairly good English goalkeeper. He will bounce around lower midtable Premier League teams for sums that won't go above £20m. 
  • Options

He's a 30 year old fairly good English goalkeeper. He will bounce around lower midtable Premier League teams for sums that won't go above £20m. 
    I don't think anyone thought Burnley's 40m valuation was realistic, but at the opposite end of that, the 10m reported in some papers seems extremely low in todays market.
  • Options

I don't think anyone thought Burnley's 40m valuation was realistic, but at the opposite end of that, the 10m reported in some papers seems extremely low in todays market.
    It is low but Burnley are in a very weak negotiating position and everyone knows it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pope is not going to be England first choice. 

It's Pickford until it's Ramsdale. 

Pope missed his chance because Pickford's form for England was too good. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I still think there’s a chance he could stay there if they go down.

English goalkeepers aren’t around in abundance in the Premier League - hence why you still see Johnstone from West Brom getting call ups regularly even though they are in the Championship.

As we’ve seen with Fulham in recent years, the parachute payments are enough to keep the big earners hanging around.

Think it all depends on whether a big club comes in for him which he/Burnley simply can’t refuse.
    Not that he'll start, but the fact it's a world cup year would likely make him want to leave.
    Why on earth would Nick want to spend 2-3 weeks in a hotel in Qatar? Certainly not worth basing career decisions around something like that.
    We all know Pickford will start, but Pope may well back himself to be ahead of Ramsdale.

So then it'd feel like he's one injury away from playing in a World Cup.
    If Pickford keeps diving away from shots like last night's Germany goal Nick Pope will be England's Number 1 all the sooner
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I'm a big fan of Nick Pope's and I was told by the experts that the reason Pickford gets the jersey at England is he kicks better; not last night, and he is a shot stopper; not last night. One of the punches he did last night, not the goal, Pope would've caught.

Ever since Nick Pope eradicated his weakness, the hard low shot to his body he is a top keeper and at 30, he could still have 7 or so years left at the top. 
    Pickford has generally always been very good for England.

In a manic sort of a way you are correct for England.
    He had a heroic game for Everton late in the season but for both Sunderland and Everton over the seasons he made a fair amount of helter skelter decisions which led to goals.

If feels like Nick Pope will only ever be a number 2 or 3 for England but is still well in credit for Burnley and he needs to move on for Charlton's sake and it would be handy if a few lower to mid premier teams got into an auction for the tall keeper from Bury st Edmunds.
  • Options
    Southampton buying 20 year old Gavin Bazunu from Man City for 11million.
    he was on loan at Portsmouth last season. Fee could rise to 15million 
  • Options
    Southampton buying 20 year old Gavin Bazunu from Man City for 11million.
    he was on loan at Portsmouth last season. Fee could rise to 15million 
    Young ball playing modern goalkeeper. Crazy to think still that they’re going for that amount of money when he was only playing League One last season, even though he is very good.
  • Options
    And of course the Cowleys chose to loan Bazunu and sell McG to us. A bit like us with Bielik, they've definitely added value to his price

City will no doubt have a buy back clause, though I can't see them needing a new keeper for years
  • Options
    edited June 2022

It is low but Burnley are in a very weak negotiating position and everyone knows it. 
    Why?. Surely the parachute money is more than enough for them !!