Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley and Nick Pope

Comments

• Options
    Yeah. That’s what I said, but with different numbers. 😎
  • Options
    Bury town FC from Bury St Edmunds were back in 2011 a Isthmian Premier team and a Part time pro team, they are even lower now. 
    Did Nick Pope even have a contract ?

The amount would have been sorted when Pope joined Cafc when he was 19. Could've just been a new first team set of shirts as a good will gesture.
  • Options
    If the calculation above is near correct, then Bury Town getting a third of a million is splendid.
    Much better than a set of shirts.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Fairly certain that would be residual payment to Bury Town unless the paperwork explicitly stated otherwise?

Four assumptions: we sold Pope to Burnley for 2 million, he's sold to Newcastle for 20 million, we have a 20% of profit sell-on with Burnley and Bury Town have a 10% of profit sell-on with us.

Burnley profit in this scenario is 18 million, of which Charlton receive 3.6 million. Bury Town receive 360k from the 3.6 million.

Newcastle's 20 million purchase price would be split between the three clubs:

- 16.4 million to Burnley
    - 3.24 million to Charlton
    - 360k to Bury Town
    I thought this had all been discussed before. Surely Bury Town got their sell on fee from us, if they had one, when Nick joined Burnley. I’ve never heard of a deal where they would then get a further sell on fee the next time a player moved. How long do these sell ons go on for??? 

Edit : just went back a page and seen others say same as me. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    The Bury rumour came from someone on here but looking back it must have been in another Pope thread.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Fairly certain that would be residual payment to Bury Town unless the paperwork explicitly stated otherwise?

Four assumptions: we sold Pope to Burnley for 2 million, he's sold to Newcastle for 20 million, we have a 20% of profit sell-on with Burnley and Bury Town have a 10% of profit sell-on with us.

Burnley profit in this scenario is 18 million, of which Charlton receive 3.6 million. Bury Town receive 360k from the 3.6 million.

- 360k to Bury Town
    I thought this had all been discussed before. Surely Bury Town got their sell on fee from us, if they had one, when Nick joined Burnley. I’ve never heard of a deal where they would then get a further sell on fee the next time a player moved. How long do these sell ons go on for??? 

Edit : just went back a page and seen others say same as me. 
    But if it worked like that, Burnley could now choose strike a deal with another club where Pope is transferred for a nominal fee but Burnley get 100% of the sell on fee, then the other club immediately sells him on for £40m. This would mean Burnley would escape paying us £8m.
    Any funds received from a sale must surely be included when calculating a sell on payment, regardless of when those funds come through.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    This is quite surreal:

I threw in a scenario which reminded me of the Tony Cascarino set of shirts because that was the arrangement between Gillingham and Crockenhill when TC the lad with the Italian dad and mother from an Irish family made. I'm sure some cash also would have made its way to Crockenhill but a small amount. I must remember to put the  B)

The thought that the likes of Staines would get a further payment if Joe Aribo moves on from Rangers sounds fanciful as well as Nick Pope who was released from Ipswich's academy  and at 19 didn't even look like he would have a pro career when playing for his local side from Bury St Edmond's.

Clubs lower down the football Pyramid have players that can just give notice as they aren't on a contact. A secretary from a club one tier below Bury town told me last season a "star player" may be on contract but it's a different world in grass roots football.

I would be amazed if it was even stated in the public arena what the one off fee was for Bury town FC when Pope joined Burnley.

Please put the link if it exists ?

Edited as Joe played for Staines not Slough 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    I have no idea what deal Bury struck with us. I was just hypothesizing on the basis that someone on here said they had a 10% sell on deal. If it’s not true then fair enough. This site is where I get most of my Charlton info. Which explains why I never know anything. 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

- 360k to Bury Town
    It's usually percentage of next sale, not percentage of every sale. Bury Town will have already received their 10% of profit sell-on when we sold him to Burnley, meaning they no longer have an enforceable provision against a future sale. What they probably will get is a solidarity payment that all teams that contribute to the training of a player are entitled to. I say that, it's possible Bury Town put in a clause saying they'd get a percentage of every sale we ever made but that would be pretty unusual
  • Options
    Annoyingly the stupid Nations League fixtures will have caused another couple of weeks of delay to this. 
  • Options
    The Premier League market has started to pick up the last week so hopefully Pope moves soon.
  • Options
    Think he’d be a good signing for Newcastle.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    TS says we will receive money from Pope sale if it goes through
    More than 20% is what I’ve been told but exactly how much more I don’t know.
    Don’t forget Bury Town (Bury St Edmonds) get 10% of any profit we make.
    It’s probably been covered before and I may of missed it, but Bury Town’s involvement in any sell on would surely have ended when we sold
    him to Burnley? 
    No…..it was somehow or another reassigned in the contract to being our responsibility.
    Not an uncommon arrangement by all accounts.
    It was changed from us paying a slice of the fee from Barnsley to Bury Town, to paying 10% of any “profit we make” on the sale by Barnsley to another club.
    Incidentally, Bury Town will gain much more this way.
    Slightly complicated but I hope you can follow it. 🤞
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Surely bury town are only entitled to 10% of our transfer fee to Burnley and not any future transfers?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Why? Surely they got their sell on when we sold him to Burnley? It's on an ongoing sell on. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    It’s probably been covered before and I may of missed it, but Bury Town’s involvement in any sell on would surely have ended when we sold
    him to Burnley? 
    No…..it was somehow or another reassigned in the contract to being our responsibility.
    It was changed from us paying a slice of the fee from Barnsley to Bury Town, to paying 10% of any “profit we make” on the sale by Barnsley to another club.
    If true then what fucking idiot agreed to that. At ten percent the fee we'd have had to pay Bury on the sale to Burnley would have been about £115k. Now if he joins Newcastle for 20m we'd get about 20% from Burnley, so about 4m but have to pay Bury Town about 400k instead of the around 100k we'd have otherwise had to pay them. Good on Bury Town but crap business I suspect by KM.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    him to Burnley? 
    If true then what fucking idiot agreed to that. At ten percent the fee we'd have had to pay Bury on the sale to Burnley would have been about £115k. Now if he joins Newcastle for 20m we'd get about 20% from Burnley, so about 4m but have to pay Bury Town about 400k instead of the around 100k we'd have otherwise had to pay them. Good on Bury Town but crap business I suspect by KM.
    I believe it’s quite normal for sell ons  to be from ‘all profit’ 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    ross1 said:
    him to Burnley? 

Nick Pope joined Cafc in 2011 where as Katrien Meire and her Boss Roland Duchâtelet showed up in January 2014.
  • Options
    Fair point !!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Southampton buying 20 year old Gavin Bazunu from Man City for 11million.
    he was on loan at Portsmouth last season. Fee could rise to 15million 
    Available for loan perhaps?
    Soton aren't the sort of club who can spend that sort of money as a punt for the future
    They did it with Angus Gunn.  
    No, Gunn was signed to be Number 2. They didn’t sign him to loan him out. 
    They signed him for a load of money to be a backup goalkeeper , is what I meant 
  • Options
    Officially signed for Newcastle for 10 million…. Any idea how much we are getting from that? 
  • Options
    Great. Good to know we did actually get something and Burnley haven't squirreled it all into delayed payments
  • Options

- 360k to Bury Town
    You're forgetting all the agents involved.  After their fees, Burnley end up with £2 10/6, we get half a crown, and Bury Town tuppence ha'penny.