Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Cambridge United v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 19 April

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    4231 causing us problems .. out numbered in mid 
    I thought we keep being told we can't play 442 as the midfield will be ripped to shreds. So wingbacks aren't the answer either then. 
    What you on about.. Nobody is playing 442. Both teams have 3 midfielders
    I was making the point that posters on here are wanting to go back to 442 but it being pointed out that going back to the "old" system wouldn't work as the midfield would be over run.....but it seems  that we are being overrun playing with wingbacks. 

Jeez......not hard to see what I was saying. 
    So you're saying that if we're getting overrun with a 3-man midfield... then we should try a 2-man. 

I can see why I was confused. 
    Also 442 means 4 in midfield. Or arent wingers/wide players allowed to move. Perhaps in netball or subuteo they dont. 
    Why don't we let Jose Mourinho settle this. I'm sure we can both agree he's forgotten more about football tactics than we could ever dream of knowing:

"Look, if I have a triangle in midfield – Claude Makelele behind and two others just in front – I will always have an advantage against a pure 4-4-2 where the central midfielders are side by side. That’s because I will always have an extra man. It starts with Makelele, who is between the lines. If nobody comes to him he can see the whole pitch and has time. If he gets closed down it means one of the two other central midfielders is open. If they are closed down and the other team’s wingers come inside to help, it means there is space now for us on the flank, either for our own wingers or for our full-backs. There is nothing a pure 4-4-2 can do to stop things."
  • Options
    1. 43'

Post update

Attempt saved. Conor Washington (Charlton Athletic) left footed shot from a difficult angle on the left is saved.

• Options

43' Morgan launches an excellent pass from the back, over the top to Washington who take a good first touch, but fires straight at Mannion. #camutd 0 #cafc 0
  • Options
    Morgan having a good game so far, Dobson on the other hand seems a bit jaded tonight..
  • Options
    49 year old Wes hoolahan breezed through our midfield there. Beautiful stuff. 
    Always a player I would have been very happy to have signed back in the day, I think we came close at some point but never happened.
  • Options
    This game is crying out for JFC to come on at half time - no quality from Charlton - Morgan is so poor
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Not a shirt pull surely?  :)
    Which one: Pearce or Famewo?

I wish referees would clamp down on this, even if it meant spraying penalties about all afternoon/evening.

Footballers may not be the smartest but even they would get the message eventually, even if it took the manager to sub/drop them to drive home the message.
  • Options

45+1 One minute added... #camutd 0 #cafc 0
  • Options
    This game is crying out for JFC to come on at half time - no quality from Charlton - Morgan is so poor
    You can’t say that about the future of our midfield, how very dare you!!!!😜😤
  • Options
    HT 0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I thought we keep being told we can't play 442 as the midfield will be ripped to shreds. So wingbacks aren't the answer either then. 
    I was making the point that posters on here are wanting to go back to 442 but it being pointed out that going back to the "old" system wouldn't work as the midfield would be over run.....but it seems  that we are being overrun playing with wingbacks. 

So you're saying that if we're getting overrun with a 3-man midfield... then we should try a 2-man. 

Also 442 means 4 in midfield. Or arent wingers/wide players allowed to move. Perhaps in netball or subuteo they dont. 
    Why don't we let Jose Mourinho settle this. I'm sure we can both agree he's forgotten more about football tactics than we could ever dream of knowing:

"Look, if I have a triangle in midfield – Claude Makelele behind and two others just in front – I will always have an advantage against a pure 4-4-2 where the central midfielders are side by side. That’s because I will always have an extra man. It starts with Makelele, who is between the lines. If nobody comes to him he can see the whole pitch and has time. If he gets closed down it means one of the two other central midfielders is open. If they are closed down and the other team’s wingers come inside to help, it means there is space now for us on the flank, either for our own wingers or for our full-backs. There is nothing a pure 4-4-2 can do to stop things."
    Ah yes, Mourinho. The bloke who thought the didnt lose even though his side didnt progress into the next round.

And btw. I'm not even advocating 44bloody2  !!!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0ueEI4OBQ

Some lighthearted half time entertainment..two sugars.. B)
  • Options
    Half time summary:

The match thread is 6 pages in and 4 of them is arguring the toss about 442.

That says it all tbh.

chances for us and cambridge, with their reserves edging it. 

Meh.
  • Options
    I think he’s some nice touches , just that last little bit lacking 
  • Options
    it does not matter what formation they play. when you do not have the players capable of playing football.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Yeah but 442 like, umm, umm, umm. 

I don't see the fascinating that goes on about it.  No one at all has played it for nearly 20 years. Even Powell's team wasn't really a 442.
  • Options
    Surely Washington knows that he should be getting across the defender with his second touch when through on goal?
  • Options
    I don’t think there has been a game since I started supporting Charlton 30 years ago about which I have given less of a f**k. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    This will be a shock to many but the Liverpool match just about shades this one in terms of quality. Although saying that, Man U wouldn't look out of place in our game
    Watching both. It's like watching two different sports. The only comparison is that both sports are being played with a round ball 😉
  • Options
    I don’t think there has been a game since I started supporting Charlton 30 years ago about which I have given less of a f**k. 
    Wait until Saturday. 
  • Options
    Such a lack of intelligence in this team. If Friday was a 3 or 4 out of 10 performance, this has been a 5 so far. 
  • Options
    Half time summary:

The match thread is 6 pages in and 4 of them is arguring the toss about 442.

That says it all tbh.

chances for us and cambridge, with their reserves edging it. 

Meh.
    I'd rather that than have Golfie talking about Golfies. Thank god, we're not 1-0 down.

• Options
    This could be a quote for every game for last two months at least!!!!!
  • Options
    Wait until Saturday. 
    Think most of our fanbase are losing interest...
  • Options
    Another half of shit, unimaginative football. We’ve tried our hardest to gift them an opener too, but fortunately they haven’t taken their chances
  • Options
    Morgan having a good game so far, Dobson on the other hand seems a bit jaded tonight..
    Thanks for the input Mrs Morgan!!😜
  • Options
    Apart from the amount of times he's given the ball away.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!