Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Cambridge United v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 19 April

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Decent win, played okay (poor) but can't really expect much more considering the performances throughout the year. 

Another mark against Stockley, feels like he makes the overall team worse. 

Really hope come August we have at least 6 new faces in this first eleven. 
  • Options
    Terrible first half good second half. Morgan and Gilbey are not game changers and that’s one of the big Charlton problems.
  • Options
    Surprised Jacko isn't giving JFC any minutes of late.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    need a CBT type player on the right, not Mathews.
    You mean play with TWO wingers  ?
    why not, at least the opposition would have something to worry about. tonight most of their attacks went through the middle of midfield.
  • Options
    Nice win away. Flukey goals but we'll take them anyway we can get them.

Cambridge fans on the train saying how loud we were too, which is always good.

Gilbey, Stockley and Morgan all very poor, plenty of others making the effort but just not good enough. This squad is miles off a promotion bid next season.
  • Options
    Meh … that's it, really
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    PLAY
    PLAYERS
    WHO
    WILL
    BE
    HERE
    NEXT
    SEASON
    MAYBE 
    WE
    DON'T
     WANT
    TO
    HEAR
     IT
     BUT
     MAYBE (AGAIN)
     WE
    ARE.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Probably because Dobbo and JFC seem to want to play the same position? 
  • Options
    Woo hoo, clean sheet win against Cambridge reserves - heavy deflections but roll on next season: TOP TWO.. These boys are gonna clean up! ROCK ON TOMMY!! #livingthedream
  • Options
    Pros
    Good conversion of shots on target.
    CBT
    Clare
    See the game out well for a change
    Decent second half

Cons
    GK - looks shot of confidence. AMB to get a crack next season.
    Morgan and Gilbey are powderpuff. Need some steel
    Stockley has to stop moaning..get on with it and moan after. 

As always, a win is something that gives momentum but that's thing we have struggled with all season!
  • Options
    Deserved win. Stockley moans like stink when he doesn't get it on a plate, then sticks it foot wide when he does...  
    Except the 18 times he hasn’t put it wide.
    Lots of problems in this squad but Stockley isn’t one of them and demanding quality from the cart horses around him is fine by me. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    PLAY
    PLAYERS
    WHO
    WILL
    BE
    HERE
    NEXT
    SEASON
    MAYBE 
    WE
    DON'T
     WANT
    TO
    HEAR
     IT
     BUT
     MAYBE (AGAIN)
     WE
    ARE.
    Get your own joke :p

But seriously of the 10 out field players today:

Clare, Dobson, CBT and Stockley will, rightfully, be here.
    Gilbey and Morgan are under contract. 
    That's 6.
    Washington probably should get a contract but not be first choice. 
    That's 7.
    This is an argument that Pearce should stay as player coach, I don't agree but can see the pov.
    Thats 8.
    That leaves Famewo (if Purrington wasnt fit we had no option but to play him) and Matthews (it's choice of him and Gunter in this system). 

Of the "others" Aneke and DJ both came on.  Add in Lavelle and Fraser who would have played if fit, that's still only 14 out field players.   JFC makes 15.

I would guess we will keep most of them.  5 of the loans go back no questions asked. 
    Inniss or Pearce
    Famewo or Purrington 
    Watson, Gunter and Souare released. 

Gives us room for 6 players, more if any are under 21.

I dont think that's far from where we will be to be honest.  Those 6 or 7 better be bloody good. 

Under contract players can be moved on by the way, let’s hope some are🤞
  • Options
    Thought Gilbey and Washington's contracts were similar lengths.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:
    Probably because Dobbo and JFC seem to want to play the same position? 
    Yup and this is why Adkins (wrongly but I can see his pov) don't really want Dobson, he wanted 2 JFCs. 
  • Options
    Dreadful game. Lucky not to be at least 2 down at half time as the usual defensive frailties were on display.

Marginally better second half. Again the only stand out player was CBT. What happens when teams work out how heavily we rely on him and double up?

Lets not big this up too much. Cambridge made a number of changes and at least two of their main men were on the bench and they played their second choice keeper.

Gilbey needs to be taken out of the team for his own good. He seems completely lost at the moment. Stockley is starting to get on my nerves. Spends most of the 90 mins moaning and when he does finally get a chance put on a plate for him he misses.

Still not seeing anything to suggest that this formation will ever "work" or that 80% of this team are anywhere near the levels required for a promotion challenge.

Both goals had huge slices of luck attached and I am pretty sure VAR would have ruled out the second goal as Washington looked offside to me.

Would be nice to get Phil Chappell back involved as he seems really knowledgeable and talks really well.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gilbey 2023 and Washington 2022
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    PLAY
    PLAYERS
    WHO
    WILL
    BE
    HERE
    NEXT
    SEASON
    MAYBE 
    WE
    DON'T
     WANT
    TO
    HEAR
     IT
     BUT
     MAYBE (AGAIN)
     WE
    ARE.
    Get your own joke :p

But seriously of the 10 out field players today:

Clare, Dobson, CBT and Stockley will, rightfully, be here.
    Gilbey and Morgan are under contract. 
    That's 6.
    Washington probably should get a contract but not be first choice. 
    That's 7.
    This is an argument that Pearce should stay as player coach, I don't agree but can see the pov.
    Thats 8.
    That leaves Famewo (if Purrington wasnt fit we had no option but to play him) and Matthews (it's choice of him and Gunter in this system). 

Of the "others" Aneke and DJ both came on.  Add in Lavelle and Fraser who would have played if fit, that's still only 14 out field players.   JFC makes 15.

I would guess we will keep most of them.  5 of the loans go back no questions asked. 
    Inniss or Pearce
    Famewo or Purrington 
    Watson, Gunter and Souare released. 

Gives us room for 6 players, more if any are under 21.

I dont think that's far from where we will be to be honest.  Those 6 or 7 better be bloody good. 

Under contract players can be moved on by the way, let’s hope some are🤞
    I know that, it was more a prediction than a wish list. Morgan would be the easiest to move on because of the money the others are on. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    2 is similar to 3.
  • Options
    Terrible game. Cambridge shaded the game until we got a flukey goal, then a second flukey goal settled it, and we actually started playing a few decent passing moves.

CBT our one attacking threat, Pearce and Clare decent defensively.

My first away win under Jacko  :)
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Overall we deserved it.  

They looked much tidier than us in the first half, but as the game went on we looked much more comfortable.  

I still can’t see how this lot plus 2 or 3 new additions can mount a promotion challenge but that’s for the summer, who we bring in, and who we release.

An example is the post above re: Washington talking as if he’s going to be here next season.  I don’t dislike him, I think he works hard and is okay.  However, if it’s him, Stockley, Aneke and one other, imo, the one other needs to be better than all of them. 

That’s just my take on it, but I still don’t see enough real quality in this team
    This time next year we'll be having the same conversations, I don't see us getting out of this division anytime soon ........... at least not upwards. Stockley as our No. 1 striker & McG as our No. 1goalkeeper are just two reasons why we won't win promotion. I will be very very surprised if we bring in a striker to replace Stockley & I wouldn't be surprised if AWB goes out on loan again in the hope that he blossoms & can be our No. 1 the following season & we'll have a henderson type come in as back up to McG. i.e. somebody not expected to play just there for emergencies.