Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Cambridge United v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 19 April

Comments

• Options
    Highlight of the evening was the two kids at the end with the 'give me your shirt' signs being completely ignored not getting shirts.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We are 5 players short of a promotion challenging first 11. Let alone the back ups.

Goalkeeper
    Clare,centre back,centre back
    CBT,Fraser, Dobson, Midfielder, JFC
    Striker, Aneke/ Stockley

Subs
    Matthews, DJ, Washington, Purrington +7 other reserves

The rest should go: MacG, Gilbey, Morgan, Inniss, Pearce, Watson, Gunter, plus the other fringe players and all the loanees.
  • Options
    16 wins in a truly terrible season and yet Wycombe, in the play offs, with only 5 more wins than us!! So amazingly ... Not that far behind ...

I think we can let Famewo, Matthews and Gilbey go. I rate Morgan but I think he needs a loan spell, a la Scotty Parker, and he will hopefully return hungrier and a more finished article. I wouldn't lose any sleep over Stockley moving on either. He's a giraffe. 
    And as for Connor "...he runs the channels he runs the lines" Missington ~ it's GOALS we need. I do hope Jacko will sit down and watch some Oxford Utd match videos this summer. They have scored 80 goals already this season and are the top scorers in the division. I can never see this team scoring bundles of goals. 

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Overall we deserved it.  

They looked much tidier than us in the first half, but as the game went on we looked much more comfortable.  

I still can’t see how this lot plus 2 or 3 new additions can mount a promotion challenge but that’s for the summer, who we bring in, and who we release.

An example is the post above re: Washington talking as if he’s going to be here next season.  I don’t dislike him, I think he works hard and is okay.  However, if it’s him, Stockley, Aneke and one other, imo, the one other needs to be better than all of them. 

That’s just my take on it, but I still don’t see enough real quality in this team
    Spot on. 
  • Options
    What is JFC doing stuck on the bench for 90 minutes? Surely needs to be getting minutes under his belt if he is to earn a new contract.
  • Options
    Good report by LoOkOut, which sums up pretty well. CBT our danger man. Stockley as ever won lots of headers but ineffective, plus he missed a really good opportunity. There is half a very good player in Morgan - it's the other half that worries me as he gets lured out of position and is a bit weak when tackling; still he played well tonight. Clare had a good game and Pierce/Famewo did more than okay. Gilbey is my least favourite player as he usually cocks up out attacking forays. Jacko seems to like him though. There is no guile in this team. It's pure third tier, which worries me for next season.
    Agree ~ Morgan IS half a very good player. And you are right he gets caught out of position quite a bit. But he has steel and can tackle. If he can just iron out a couple of faults I think he will do really well. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    need a CBT type player on the right, not Mathews.
    You mean play with TWO wingers  ?
    why not, at least the opposition would have something to worry about. tonight most of their attacks went through the middle of midfield.

We tried two wingers(wide players) earlier in the season in a 3 up front over the first 13 games and we were awful and Stockley was isolated. We had 9 points from a possible 39 points and Nigel Adkins left to go walk about.
    Can't think of a team that would use wing backs that were forwards to play on both sides ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:
    PLAY
    PLAYERS
    WHO
    WILL
    BE
    HERE
    NEXT
    SEASON
    MAYBE 
    WE
    DON'T
     WANT
    TO
    HEAR
     IT
     BUT
     MAYBE (AGAIN)
     WE
    ARE.
    For these posts I just cover one eye and read the letters in the bottom row.  Saves me going to the opticians
  • Options
    Cambridge just didn't bother in the second half and eventually CBT's endeavours paid off. The second goal was comical and possibly offside.

Most of those players can all still F off.
  • Options
    Living the dream @Stewart, living the dream .....
  • Options
    I’m normally pretty positive, but thought that was fairly awful. 
    It did improve a bit in the second half, but we still made so many silly mistakes. 
    Corey was again our main threat throughout. 
    If we lose Corey and Dobbo in the summer morale is going to sink to an all time low. Hopefully we can hang on to both, but it may not be easy. 
  • Options
    agree about hanging on to Dobbo and CBT, sure we will get offers. Maybe Stockley too. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Your kettle must be close to boiling; and stop boasting about your 12 inches Stewart 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not saying I agree, but FotMob and WhoScored:

Quit beating around the bush Daz and ask Morgan to move in with you. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pearce and Clare both had a good game. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Whoever is doing those marks is very generous, for what was a low quality game

And Adam Matthews can feel hard done by too, to be bottom out of the starting 11 behind the likes of McG, Gilbey and Stockley
  • Options
    Wonder if he fully read this tweet before liking it

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Shows how Morgan's contribution was under rated by fans but noticed by neutrals.
  • Options
    Dreadful game. Lucky not to be at least 2 down at half time as the usual defensive frailties were on display.

Marginally better second half. Again the only stand out player was CBT. What happens when teams work out how heavily we rely on him and double up?

Lets not big this up too much. Cambridge made a number of changes and at least two of their main men were on the bench and they played their second choice keeper.

Gilbey needs to be taken out of the team for his own good. He seems completely lost at the moment. Stockley is starting to get on my nerves. Spends most of the 90 mins moaning and when he does finally get a chance put on a plate for him he misses.

Still not seeing anything to suggest that this formation will ever "work" or that 80% of this team are anywhere near the levels required for a promotion challenge.

Both goals had huge slices of luck attached and I am pretty sure VAR would have ruled out the second goal as Washington looked offside to me.

Would be nice to get Phil Chappell back involved as he seems really knowledgeable and talks really well.
    Why were we lucky not to be two down at half time? Cambridge didn't have a shot on target until the 80 something minute.

in the first half, bt should have done better when through on goal and Pearce was pulled back for his header from the resulting corner. That could have been 0-2 Charlton.

I agree that a large percentage of this squad needs to be moved on and appreciate that this is one of the poorest Charla teams ever. But we won and deserved it, we had the better chances and scored more goals.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Blucher said:
    Watched on the stream and I thought it was a pretty scrappy, low quality and disjointed sort of game. Cambridge played the better football in the first half and had the better and more controlled possession in the final third. They had two very good opportunities early on but put them both just wide. As ever, Blackett-Taylor was our only real threat, with a lot of long balls and a lack of any meaningful combination play in midfield.

Charlton were better in the second half - they could hardly have been worse after the first 45 - and although the two goals were fortunate deflections, we created a few other decent opportunities for Stockley, Washington and Gilbey.

I thought we defended pretty well, with the exception of MacGillivray, who looked shaky throughout, culminating in his extraordinary spillage of a pea roller in the second half. Fortunately, Pearcey - who played well tonight - was on hand to bale our hapless goalie out. I really hope that Maynard-Brewer performs and takes the shirt next season.

We were very poor in midfield in the first half, including, most unusually, Dobbo. He picked up in the second half, as did Morgan, although it was another weak, at time bordering on atrocious, performance from Gilbey, despite a couple of passable efforts on goal towards the end.

The front players were ok and were obviously more threatening when they had some service in the second half, as we began to string some passes together and Blackett-Taylor continued to torment the Cambridge defence.

An uneven performance but a good 3 points on the road. It even holds out the possibility of moving into the top half of the table, although we all know that this side is a long way short of where it needs to be if we are going to mount a credible challenge next season.

We need to offload CM and bring in another first choice keeper .  Relying on him and a totally unproven AMB would be madness 
  • Options
    Very lucky to get a win out of that game. The clear out should start right now...especially MacGillivray who was shocking.  😒