Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Cambridge United v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 19 April

1235»

Comments

• Options
    3 points are always welcome but I think some perspective is needed here. We played against Cambridge Utd who made 7 changes to their normal line up !!! 
  • Options
    And the average position map… a good spread across the pitch with one notable exception… midfielders getting in each other’s way?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    And the average position map… a good spread across the pitch with one notable exception… midfielders getting in each other’s way?
    You can certainly see why it feels like we have no midfield when they're all in a single narrow line. We need them spreading wider to the right, which I thought that was Gilbey's side, but this suggests he doesn't hold out there.  Would be interesting to see some more of these against other oppo. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    You can certainly see why it feels like we have no midfield when they're all in a single narrow line. We need them spreading wider to the right, which I thought that was Gilbey's side, but this suggests he doesn't hold out there.  Would be interesting to see some more of these against other oppo. 
    Might create a thread for them for the season. Just trying to think of a tidy way to do it, rather than uploading all these massive images 46+ times.
  • Options
    It was noticeable in the first half that Gilbey seemed to be playing on the left side of the two. I thought perhaps he'd been given the job of staying close to their holding midfielder O'Neil.

Second half he appeared to be in his usual position on the right side. Maybe that explains why the average position map shows them on top of each other, if they swapped at half time?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Almost as if he's hiding in a dense area where noone will pass to him.
  • Options
    Gilbey has lost a bit of form, I wouldn't argue with that. But he has shown he has a decent game in the recent past, and yesterday he got three chances and worked hard. Admittedly, he didn't take them but things could click back into place with a decent pre-season and a better side nex season.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    After cerebrally challenged Gilbey got sent off for the two tug backs the other week I thought no way will I defend him any more.... But I know Charlton fans have the memory of goldfishes but in the home game against Ipswich he was MOM and showed all the skills and even scored at the covered end.
    WTF happened to that Gilbey and we have ended up with his Doppelganger. Such a frustrating player because he has a good engine but lacking between the ears. I doubt anyone mentioned it but Gilbey played a great weighted pass for Corey in the first half which CBT squandered. 

Even Washington last night had an easy ball to CBT who was free and on fire but instead of that he turns inside and screws a pass up to a player that is marked.

Is anyone other that George Dobson and Corey Blackett-Taylor in credit ? Stockley, Washington and Clare maybe but most haven't improved this season, Morgan is fitter and his passing is decent but his shooting is still so wild or he just scruffs the ball.

Lovely to see the ball go in the net twice even if they were comical. 
  • Options
    You'd think with Jackson and Euell coaching our attacking players, they might have a bit more about them than they do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not saying I agree, but FotMob and WhoScored:
    Quit beating around the bush Daz and ask Morgan to move in with you. 
     I share the FotMob and WhoScored ratings after each game now, not because I agree or disagree with them, but because they offer an unbiased review of our performance. 

FWIW I think Albie was over-scored by at least a full mark on each of them this week. 
    I’m not even sure the FootMob stats are worth sharing. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    Gilbey’s been here two years, could argue we’ve seen enough to know the occasional great games are one offs rather than the level he can regularly get to.

Said before to keep his place he needs to be scoring goals. Without that he doesn’t offer enough for a top 6 side. Better players around him could help, but then he’s one of the players you’d be looking to improve on in the summer.
    Yeah, I was just thinking about this.

In that midfield, it's highly likely Dobson and Fraser will be the starters next season. So where are the betters players coming in around Gilbey? Like you say, Gilbey is the one there that you want to improve on. 

Even elsewhere on the pitch, attacking-wise, there is not much change. Stockley + Washington up front (maybe one new striker). CBT will be LWB for sure. A new RWB hopefully. That's it. A striker and a RWB aren't going to transform his game.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Gilbey’s been here two years, could argue we’ve seen enough to know the occasional great games are one offs rather than the level he can regularly get to.

Said before to keep his place he needs to be scoring goals. Without that he doesn’t offer enough for a top 6 side. Better players around him could help, but then he’s one of the players you’d be looking to improve on in the summer.
    Some are falling for the Gilbey trick. That look of surprise, shock and disbelief when you have that wild shot, heavily miscontrol the ball into touch, pass to the opposition player more than your own. All as if to say how did that happen as it normally goes the other way!
  • Options

I’m not for one minute saying our midfield isn’t getting in each other’s way, but an average position can be deceptive. Our cramped and narrow looking midfield could mean we’re not using the space enough, but it could also mean one or more of our players were covering both the left and right side as required, or even that they switched roles.
    For example, if you imagine a scenario where Adam Matthews plays his usual game at RWB, then for whatever reason, Jacko decides to switch him to the LWB role at half-time - his average position would end up in the centre circle, probably without ever setting foot in it.

Statistics are all well and good, but people have a tendency to misinterpret them. Sometimes deliberately.
    (By the way, not accusing you of this at all, @Callumcafc )
  • Options
    Every time I watch our match highlights I am reminded of the Keystone cops.

What the hell is Mackeeper playing at? Her looks like someone invited on for the crossbar challenge who forgot to leave the pitch after he missed by 3 metres.

Really embarrassing.
    Mackeeper! lol
  • Options

I’m not for one minute saying our midfield isn’t getting in each other’s way, but an average position can be deceptive. Our cramped and narrow looking midfield could mean we’re not using the space enough, but it could also mean one or more of our players were covering both the left and right side as required, or even that they switched roles.
    For example, if you imagine a scenario where Adam Matthews plays his usual game at RWB, then for whatever reason, Jacko decides to switch him to the LWB role at half-time - his average position would end up in the centre circle, probably without ever setting foot in it.

Statistics are all well and good, but people have a tendency to misinterpret them. Sometimes deliberately.
    (By the way, not accusing you of this at all, @Callumcafc )
    Sure - that is a very valid point. It's why, when I could choose to include the subs, I don't. That's because they have only 10 minutes on the pitch and that's barely enough time for them to get around. I've seen substitute strikers with deeper average positions than a full back because their team were hanging on for a lead at the end of a game.

The app I use (SofaScore) has team mapped average positions but you can also break it out into a player-by-player heat map which I will share for Gilbey and Morgan.
  • Options
    Gilbey

Morgan

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should give CBT and Dobson new and improved contracts.....
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not saying I agree, but FotMob and WhoScored:
    Quit beating around the bush Daz and ask Morgan to move in with you. 
     I share the FotMob and WhoScored ratings after each game now, not because I agree or disagree with them, but because they offer an unbiased review of our performance. 

FWIW I think Albie was over-scored by at least a full mark on each of them this week. 
    I’m not even sure the FootMob stats are worth sharing. 
    That's nice for you. 
  • Options
    Calamity Craig strikes again...  luckily got away with it this time. Hopefully not our number one next year.