Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• If he is so good why did nobody mention  him on a wish list until last night?
    He was mentioned couple of weeks ago when he was interviewed 
    Yes not by you though you know nothing twat. Last night you were spouting something along the lines of "the deal has been done, we all have the man we wanted and TS is flying over next week to announce it"

You were nowhere near to thinking it was BG and so much for TS coming over next week to announce it.
  • supaclive said:
    If he thinks Davison is good enough for League One, we are fucked.

He also hasn't said he isn't!
  • edited May 2022
    Just had to read through 250 post's to get here, don't anyone sleep ffs... ;)
    Where's @Henry Irving when you need him...WIOTOS..
  • If he is so good why did nobody mention  him on a wish list until last night?
    He was mentioned couple of weeks ago when he was interviewed 
    Surely he wasn't interviewed when Swindon were in the middle of their play offs?
  • edited May 2022
    Interesting stats .. from league two last season Swindon were first in all the attacking areas goals , shots , procession , shots on target .

Yeah but on the other hand Rob7Lee says he's shit.
  • Listening to the last 20 minutes of that podcast you can absolutely see why Sandgaard will love Garner. He talks a lot about how and why data analysis should be used to compliment traditional scouting, not instead of, as well as player performance and talks specifically about the Brentford (and Brighton) model but stresses that any owner that wants to copy that has to be patient. Easy to forget Brentford are ten years into their model. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A very good article on Garner put up by @Scoham a couple of pages back. Recommended reading.

My take on it is that Garner is the man with all the tools to build a clubs infrastructure in the right way to ensure long term success and stability. I doubt though that Sandgaard will give him the necessary time should we fail to make the play offs next year.

Would have preferred Beale, Warburton or Taylor in that order but beggars can't be choosers. Welcome Ben.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    So was he 8th, 9th or 10th choice..........

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Is this a question or a statement? Was he 8th choice or numbe 1 target?
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
    Aren't most managers employed on stats?  Then you go on to say why he shouldn't get the job, based on stats!

If Swindon did have the best, or one of the best, squad in the divison the guy is a genius.  They have 7 players on the first day of preason and were on the verg of being wound up.

MK Dons had similar stats and didn't get promoted and there would have been a wankfest if we got their manager........... 
    Which one of historically our successful managers has been appointed on stats? Powell, Curbs, Lawrence, Seed?

Much like players stats are a small part, do they fit in, right temperament, are they 'Charlton' - all those questions a Cubs and a Powell would look at as well as stats.

Yer Swindon had such a poor squad by the end of August they were 4th
    Seed had one season as Secretary Manager of Clapton Orient when it was supposed to be Arsenal’s nursery club. He’d been mentored by Herbert Chapman, whom he’d know for a few years.
    The FA then ruled nursery clubs weren’t allowed, so the money dried up. His main aim then was to get 11 men on the pitch each week. 
    At the end of the season Orient had made a profit of £5, so he he had to let the entire squad go, as he couldn’t afford to pay summer wages. 
    JS then sat next to Albert Glikstein at the banquet held by Arsenal to celebrate their title win (purely because the seating was arranged alphabetically). 
    The Charlton owner was bemoaning the club’s relegation, and asked if JS had been lucky in football. He virtually offered Seed the job there and then. JS had offered to do the job without a contract, while he proved himself.

In the modern era I think the only advantage in having ex Charlton players as manager is that the fans will give them more time. I suspect Garner may not have that luxury unfortunately, so let’s hope he can hit the ground running. 
  • I’m totally underwhelmed if this is true. 
    It’s another Adkins type mistake, and we will waste another year trying to get out of this shitty division. 
    I will be doing a Duncan Bannantyne. 
    Yeah bye
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
    They may have only made the playoffs by a point, but they were only 3 points off automatic promotion too. League 2 was ridiculously tight at the top of the table this year. Tranmere who finished 9th were only 9 points off top spot.
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    This isn’t a done deal, news leaked from Swindon as a hurry up. Compo deal agreed in principal.. but final decision hasn’t been made yet, as I understand 
    Why not just say that a Sandgaard told you that?

Nothing wrong with that and thanks for sharing but it was either MS or TS who told you that.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    This isn’t a done deal, news leaked from Swindon as a hurry up. Compo deal agreed in principal.. but final decision hasn’t been made yet, as I understand 

Nothing wrong with that and thanks for sharing but it was either MS or TS who told you that.
    Haven’t spoke to TS for a while, since International fan forum.. 😉

• I think the story about Garner being close to the job could be Sandgaard trying to push Beale or others to make a decision on the role. 

If that’s the case slightly unfair on Garner and Swindon if he doesn’t get the role!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Haven’t spoke to TS for a while, since International fan forum.. 😉

And Martin?
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    If he thinks Davison is good enough for League One, we are fucked.

He also hasn't said he isn't!
    But he's also not said we're not signing Mbappe so, y'know, checkmate.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Why would the first manager TS interviewed be his first choice, and how do we know he even had a ‘first choice’? Sounds to me like they interviewed, and if the rumours are true, are still interviewing lots of candidates.

Maybe they went into it with a complete open mind and wanted to hear from as many managers as possible which is why the process is taking as long as it is.

Secondly, and this is complete ignorance on my part due to my lack of knowledge, but what do you know about the Swindon team and it’s players to say they had one of the best squads in the league? From what I read they had 7 players at the beginning of the season, and had been in somewhat of a downward spiral. 

If you believe that then IMHO you are deluded. TS much like RD has a very small pool of managers who will work under his 'set up', especially in League one, which he is now finding. Garner wasn't first choice or even 5th, but he may well be one of the few prepared to work under the set up provided by TS and MS.
    I love how you state this like it’s undeniable fact. You know as much as anyone else.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    I’m very surprised at the line you are taking here. I presume you have good reasons for it, as it’s quite unsettling. On the face of it, I’m not sure how you could have access to the full recruitment long-list, which is what you imply. 
    I certainly do not have access to any form of head coach recruitment list, but I am aware of a number of potentials who have been spoken to/sounded out, and I also know why some of them are not interested.

You have an owner and son wishing to dictate to seasoned professionals the style of play, a much lesser than normally expected input into player recruitment, this really is no different to the infamous email from RD and the diamond formation to Powell and how players were brought in. TS is a just a bit more friendly/cuddly and here (more!)

As I mentioned above, some seem to think Jackson was appointed due to his record as Caretaker, that's simply not the case, TS was unable to persuade anyone to come (that he wanted). Just remember he was appointed as Caretaker on 21st October and it wasn't until almost two months later he was given the permanent gig ............ on a very restrictive contract that TS knew was highly likely to mean he could remove Jackson at the end of the season easily and for minimum cost.  

This is unsurprising yet very concerning.

Next few weeks/ months of the transfer window is integral in seeing whether we have any hope in hell of getting anywhere near the top of this miserable league. 

If it's a repeat of the windows so far we better get used to trips to Accrington and Burton for the foreseeable. 
  • Just to clear up the rubbish that's being written about Garner's love in with Davison.

This was a coach of a League 2 team who needed a bit of help to get promoted. He turned to Davison who, at the time, was having a decent time with us (although his form had dipped by the time he went) and was affordable for a League 2 team.

That doesn't mean that he believes Davison is the man to take us into the Championship. That also isn't the reason we kept Davison and got rid of Washington.

I don't think Jackson will be signing Juan Castillo for Wimbledon just because he signed him for us. It doesn't work like that.

Agree about Davison. Good example with
    Juan Castillo as he was a bad time keeper and his basic fitness was poor. ( That info did come from the dressing room) 

Young players do lose their way especially when they have been at clubs like Chelsea who have so many players on their books that they lose motivation as they are paid too much money too young and just keep going out on loan.