Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This isn’t a done deal, news leaked from Swindon as a hurry up. Compo deal agreed in principal.. but final decision hasn’t been made yet, as I understand 
    Why not just say that a Sandgaard told you that?

Nothing wrong with that and thanks for sharing but it was either MS or TS who told you that.
    Haven’t spoke to TS for a while, since International fan forum.. 😉

And Martin?
    Martin who? 

Nope never spoke to him. 
  • Had Davison stayed, and we had garnered a few more points with him around during our striker injury crisis, then Jacko might still be here, and Ben Garner might not have made the play offs.
    Sliding doors eh?
  • edited May 2022
     Luke Rooney, Ricky Lambert and Steve Parish have all praised Ben Garner either tonight or in the past as an excellent coach who can get his point across to players.
    A licence coach.

Ben Garner is another coach who started young after an injury put paid to a football playing career. He was born in Pembury, Kent. Not sure if it was personal issues but he had a break after a month in the job and Bristol Rovers didn't quite work out and it was Lambert who recommended Garner for that job.

The Swindon job he did very well as he had to bring so many players in as he only had a 7 a side team when he took over.

Good record with young players, and Zaha, Johnnie Williams, Nat Clyne are just a few of the young player he helped in their development at Palace.

Thomas Sandgaard may look on Twitter and change his mind; I wonder if that's why he told JR that interviewing is still going on ?  

I believe he can do a good job but not if he is slagged off as soon as he loses his first game.

Pembury is my local hospital and I have been there a number of times over recent years and the place has been impeccable on each occasion if that helps to reassure anyone about Garner's appointment.

I'm so pleased you're not 'angry from Tunbridge Wells" Rodders.
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    If he thinks Davison is good enough for League One, we are fucked.

He also hasn't said he isn't!
    But he's also not said we're not signing Mbappe so, y'know, checkmate.
    Devil's Advocate is all.

Personally he seems to have what our owner is looking for.  However the comments from "insiders", whether direct or indirectly about TS, plus the situations with Roddy, Skiverton, Bowyer, Adkins, JJ et al over the last year and a half don't fill me full of confidence.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    So was he 8th, 9th or 10th choice..........

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Is this a question or a statement? Was he 8th choice or numbe 1 target?
    Question, he certainly wasn't number one choice as he wasn't the first manager to be spoken to. But whether TS spoke to 3/5/10 or 100 I don't know.

But the same mistakes are being made time and time again, players bought on stats, now managers.

But despite Swindon being number 1 in almost every stat last season, they weren't top in the one that matters - promotion.......So a manager fail to get one off the best squads in league two out of the division, so we'll give him a go at getting us out of league one with in a relative terms arguably a worse squad...... Swindon only just made the playoffs by a point.
    Why would the first manager TS interviewed be his first choice, and how do we know he even had a ‘first choice’? Sounds to me like they interviewed, and if the rumours are true, are still interviewing lots of candidates.

Maybe they went into it with a complete open mind and wanted to hear from as many managers as possible which is why the process is taking as long as it is.

Secondly, and this is complete ignorance on my part due to my lack of knowledge, but what do you know about the Swindon team and it’s players to say they had one of the best squads in the league? From what I read they had 7 players at the beginning of the season, and had been in somewhat of a downward spiral. 

If you believe that then IMHO you are deluded. TS much like RD has a very small pool of managers who will work under his 'set up', especially in League one, which he is now finding. Garner wasn't first choice or even 5th, but he may well be one of the few prepared to work under the set up provided by TS and MS.
    I love how you state this like it’s undeniable fact. You know as much as anyone else.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    I’m very surprised at the line you are taking here. I presume you have good reasons for it, as it’s quite unsettling. On the face of it, I’m not sure how you could have access to the full recruitment long-list, which is what you imply. 
    I certainly do not have access to any form of head coach recruitment list, but I am aware of a number of potentials who have been spoken to/sounded out, and I also know why some of them are not interested.

You have an owner and son wishing to dictate to seasoned professionals the style of play, a much lesser than normally expected input into player recruitment, this really is no different to the infamous email from RD and the diamond formation to Powell and how players were brought in. TS is a just a bit more friendly/cuddly and here (more!)

As I mentioned above, some seem to think Jackson was appointed due to his record as Caretaker, that's simply not the case, TS was unable to persuade anyone to come (that he wanted). Just remember he was appointed as Caretaker on 21st October and it wasn't until almost two months later he was given the permanent gig ............ on a very restrictive contract that TS knew was highly likely to mean he could remove Jackson at the end of the season easily and for minimum cost.  
    I thought similar at the time of JJ's appointment (re' JJ not being appointed because TS's number 1 choice). Though I was thinking it was more to do with it being a convenient thing to do, financially and with regards to timing / effort needed, and the fans facilitated it. Imo

• If he is so good why did nobody mention  him on a wish list until last night?
    He was mentioned couple of weeks ago when he was interviewed 
    Surely he wasn't interviewed when Swindon were in the middle of their play offs?

A Zoom call at HT.
  • Will give him a chance, but it's incredibly underwhelming. Failed at Bristol Rovers, did ok at Swindon. It won't have the other League 1 promotion teams panicking. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I hadn't read or heard much about Garner before i have read this thread today, watched a few clips recommended on his philosophy and he talks well at least.  I like the fact Swindon played a possession game and created alot of chances, you would hope with a supposed better team/player base the scoring will be higher and they scored 80ish goals (forget the exact amount.

I find it hard to judge whoever. until we see the performances on the pitch. I am hopeful that its been done early enough to get us firing and not playing catch up. 

We've had former players and former good managers (Nigel Adkins) which some just work and some don't, i am optimistic if he gets in early so fingers crossed. 
  •  Luke Rooney, Ricky Lambert and Steve Parish have all praised Ben Garner either tonight or in the past as an excellent coach who can get his point across to players.
    A licence coach.

Ben Garner is another coach who started young after an injury put paid to a football playing career. He was born in Pembury, Kent. Not sure if it was personal issues but he had a break after a month in the job and Bristol Rovers didn't quite work out and it was Lambert who recommended Garner for that job.

The Swindon job he did very well as he had to bring so many players in as he only had a 7 a side team when he took over.

Good record with young players, and Zaha, Johnnie Williams, Nat Clyne are just a few of the young player he helped in their development at Palace.

Thomas Sandgaard may look on Twitter and change his mind; I wonder if that's why he told JR that interviewing is still going on ?  

I believe he can do a good job but not if he is slagged off as soon as he loses his first game.

Pembury is my local hospital and I have been there a number of times over recent years and the place has been impeccable on each occasion if that helps to reassure anyone about Garner's appointment.

I'm so pleased you're not 'angry from Tunbridge Wells" Rodders.
    Just mildly peturbed mate :-)
  • Good mate of mine is a lifelong Swindon fan and mates with their current owner, highly rates him + his support team and a couple of players coming over as well, his words not mine,  as always until it happens it ain’t happened, but I’d be delighted with his appointment, don’t want some big time Charlie journeyman manager. 
    Let's hope that's the case

WIOTOS
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    This isn’t a done deal, news leaked from Swindon as a hurry up. Compo deal agreed in principal.. but final decision hasn’t been made yet, as I understand 
    Why not just say that a Sandgaard told you that?

Nothing wrong with that and thanks for sharing but it was either MS or TS who told you that.
    What’s the deal here Henners? you’re clearly very knowledgeable about what goes on behind the scenes but I don’t think you’ve a history of naming those who tell you things. 
    Maybe wanting to find out the leak.... ;-)
  • I'd like to see mccurdy, he looked a real live wire in the games I've seen. 

front 3 of mcurdy stockley cbt
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    So was he 8th, 9th or 10th choice..........

What a joke....... sacked Jackson for this........ I really give up. All will have been done on a spreadsheet, just like RD he'll never learn, too pig/big headed.
    Is this a question or a statement? Was he 8th choice or numbe 1 target?
    Rob7Lee is a very knowledgeable man, so I'm surprised at the extreme negativity. Has TS upset you Rob? 
    He's not upset me no, but people far more knowledgeable in the inner workings of this industry will tell you he's setting himself up to fail.

Like many successful business men/women he knows best, even in a field he had little knowledge of, much like RD he believes he (and his son) knows more than seasoned pro's who've been in and around the game for decades.

He might strike it lucky, much like RD did with Bowyer/Gallen etc - but ultimately luck has a finite lifespan and runs out very quickly!

Most seasons I like a little flutter on promotion, TBH the way things are going I'll probably hedge my bets and put some on relegation instead.

Theres a lot of stuff out there, you don't have to have inner knowledge in the club to work things out.
    I agree with that. You have to look at things without the rose tinted specs on and it is visible. Of course Sandgaard could be lucky and we will all be hoping he is. But I don't think his model is the best one and will rely on a lot of luck. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If he is so good why did nobody mention  him on a wish list until last night?
    I think someone did a couple of weeks back?
  • sam3110 said:
    If people are going to start calling for us to sign Swindon players, it's spelt M-c-K-i-r-d-y

Anyone spelling it wrong from here on should be banned from the site
    Wasn’t overly impressed when he put his pen into row z and then laughed on his way back to the halfway line, he was getting dogs abuse admittedly but didn’t come across as bothered about anyone but himself. Obviously don’t know him so could be jumping to conclusions wrongly.
  • mendonca said:
    SLP v LinkedIn DM
    Yeah....no point in journalism anymore. Just do it all by SM. 

• yeah I think McKirdy is a bit of a loose cannon. could be a nightmare. but could be brilliant
  • paulfox said:
    sam3110 said:
    If people are going to start calling for us to sign Swindon players, it's spelt M-c-K-i-r-d-y

Anyone spelling it wrong from here on should be banned from the site
    Wasn’t overly impressed when he put his pen into row z and then laughed on his way back to the halfway line, he was getting dogs abuse admittedly but didn’t come across as bothered about anyone but himself. Obviously don’t know him so could be jumping to conclusions wrongly.
    For what it's worth i think he was laughing with embarrassment at how bad it was, not that he actually found the situation funny. Same as some people don't mean to laugh when they're nervous.
  • Addick93 said:
    I think the story about Garner being close to the job could be Sandgaard trying to push Beale or others to make a decision on the role. 

If that’s the case slightly unfair on Garner and Swindon if he doesn’t get the role!
    It’s much more likely that Sandgaard just didn’t want the appointment announced by a ‘random’ fan who he told on LinkedIn. (Apologies to whoever it was he told on LinkedIn).
  • Lee Johnson said Stockley should be banned for a head butt which never happened. Lee Johnson has small man Syndrome and CL are united in slagging the wee man off.

Alex Neal get Sunderland promoted via the play offs ( nemesis absent !) CL are united in saying Alex Neal is top manager- I agree he is decent.

But in defense of the short arse obnoxious Johnson the day they got tanked 5-0 they would've gone to the top of League 1 if they had won so in reality Alex Neal just kept them in the position he took over. 

It all perceptions but I agree I would rather employ Alex Neal than Lee Johnson.

Ben Garner needs backing on and off the pitch to succeed if Cawley is right and Sandgaard is just getting Ronnie Dangerfield to complete the paperwork with his Swindon counterpart before Ollie Groom makes it official.
  • Addick93 said:
    I think the story about Garner being close to the job could be Sandgaard trying to push Beale or others to make a decision on the role. 

If that’s the case slightly unfair on Garner and Swindon if he doesn’t get the role!
    No …. Not true