Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pope dosh?

Comments

• seth plum said:
    I am assuming with these figures.
    Pope goes for £10 million.
    Burnley paid us £1.5 million for him.
    Burnley make £8.5 million profit on the Newcastle sale.
    We get 25% of that profit £2.125 million.
    Bury Town are entitled to 10% of (2.125+1.5 million) £3.625 million.
    This is the bit I am not sure of, if Bury are now entitled to 10% of the whole sum, or have we already paid over 10% of £1.5 million.
    Assuming we haven't Bury Town are now due £362 500.
    £1,762,500 is what I reckon we will get using this back of an envelope method and rough guesses.

We will have paid the initial 10% to them at the time we sold pope to Burnley, Bury will get 10% of the additional payment we receive now.
  • We’ll end up with just shy of two million when it’s done and dusted. That plus the one and a bit up front, not too bad for a keeper that played less than 50 games. On the other hand it does feel low for a player that has turned out to be an England international.
  • seth plum said:
    I am assuming with these figures.
    Pope goes for £10 million.
    Burnley paid us £1.5 million for him.
    Burnley make £8.5 million profit on the Newcastle sale.
    We get 25% of that profit £2.125 million.
    Bury Town are entitled to 10% of (2.125+1.5 million) £3.625 million.
    This is the bit I am not sure of, if Bury are now entitled to 10% of the whole sum, or have we already paid over 10% of £1.5 million.
    Assuming we haven't Bury Town are now due £362 500.
    £1,762,500 is what I reckon we will get using this back of an envelope method and rough guesses.

We will have paid the initial 10% to them at the time we sold pope to Burnley, Bury will get 10% of the additional payment we receive now.
    That bumps my guess up to about £1.9 million.
    The only variable on that would seem to be if our cut of the Burnley profit was much less or much more than 25%.
    I reckon this lands pretty comfortably at one and three quarter million pounds, which to my mind would not have arrived had Burnley not been relegated.
    Even if it seems a paltry sum against ongoing costs it's got to help.
  • *Waits for 14 people to explain again that we don't owe any of it to Bury Town, and then 15 other people to ignore them and talk about how much we might have to give to Bury Town*.
    Those 14 could still be wrong, no matter how many times the conversation is repeated. 
  • A low fee for a player of that quality but at least we should trouser something approaching £2 million.

Better than poor old Walsall, who spent 11 seasons waiting for Troy Deeney to be sold by Watford and ended up with zilch. Imagine all those years getting your hopes up for a cash infusion, only for them to be continually dashed.
  • It would nice if the majority of that money goes towards transfer fees and not just swallowed up in "running costs". Even £1m could buy a decent player from The Championship or League 1. 
  • I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if we spend anywhere close to 1mil on a player. 

Although it's not fair to demand Sandgaard spends it on fees, if we want to get out of the division it needs to be done IMO. If we can spend 1mil on three decent players we'll have a chance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Could spend £80m on a player (Pogba) and it not work out... Always worth remembering that the fee should never dictate how a player will perform.

Saw that Ward-Prowse was valued at £70m by Southampton today, everyone replied to the tweet saying it was a ridiculous fee... Of course it is, and its their way of keeping hold of the player - If a club are stupid enough to pay it, then it shouldn't reflect on the individual.

But for some reason it always does

Although it's not fair to demand Sandgaard spends it on fees, if we want to get out of the division it needs to be done IMO. If we can spend 1mil on three decent players we'll have a chance. 
    At this level even spending 300k on a player will have you ahead of many clubs. Half this division wont spend anything on fees and will only get free transfers in.
  • edited June 2022
    It isn't what you spend on a player, but say if we add £1m (Half the money if reports are correct) to our transfer budget, it will put us top or near the top in our league. Now we know from Ipswich and others that this is no guarantee of success but it does improve your chances.
  • What about a third towards player acquisition, a third towards the academy, and a third to help running costs?

At this level even spending 300k on a player will have you ahead of many clubs. Half this division wont spend anything on fees and will only get free transfers in.
    Agreed, but we need to be better than a lot more then just half the division to get out of it. 
  • No way can it be 10 million.
    Saudi Arabia would be insulted if Burnley don't accept 15 million ! Roland Duchâtelet was always clued up on sell on clauses.
    undisclosed is always frustrating to hear. Ronnie Dangerfield needs to know or else how does he know if the Cheque is correct ?

Michy Batshuayi left Standard for Marseille for 4.5 million in 2014. In 2016 he leaves Marseille for the Russian club Chelsea who paid 33 million. Not because he was worth it but 33 million was fuck all to Abramovich.
    Duchâtelet trousered about 8 million allegedly, as he seemed to act as an agent. Bizarre and unique. 
  • Sponsored links:

• At the end of the day 10m is a lot lower than anyone probably thought he'd go for.

But it's better than nothing, and is 2m more than we'd have got if Burnley had stayed up.
  • Times reported that it was £12m
  • Should receive around £2m or so then. I thought Burnley paid about £1m initially and we later received more in clauses. Cawley said the sell on was more than 20%, so perhaps 22-23% and that’ll be after profit.
  • Jints said:
    Times reported that it was £12m
    Could be as much as £2.5M to us then.  23% of £11M profit.  Would bring RD transfer incoming to about £10M during his reign if so.
  • Jints said:
    Times reported that it was £12m
    Same in the Mail 
  • Yes, £12m seems to be the figure. I would imagine given Burnley's circumstances, most if not all of that is upfront.
  • (12-1.5)/4=2.625
    (2.265-0.2265)=2.0385 million pounds.
  • Not sure if anyone mentioned it before but remember when Bowyer was going to go from Leeds to Liverpool and we were due a nice chunk but it fell through and he went for free to Newcastle a year later. 
  • Liverpool want to keep Gomez but he wants to get in the England squad for the World Cup. He needs first team football for that. Liverpool see him as an important player for the future given his age. Hopefully he will go but I could see them agreeing a new deal and loaning him to a Premier League side.