Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pope dosh?

Comments

• Yeah think Gomez is about £25m in the current market, which would be what, £4.5m to us on the profit?
  • Is Gomez worth £40 million ? 
    No team would offer half that. 
    He's better than 1/4 of Harry Maguire that's for sure. 

I think Gomez is probably a 40million player. Just turned 25 and can play anywhere across the defence. Would be a great signing for a Villa, Newcastle, probably even a Spurs/Arsenal. His injury problems do cause an issue. I can see a 15mil up front fee with another 5/10 with appearances etc.
  • edited June 2022
    Sage said:
    As an example, Liverpool sold a 27 year old Sakho to Palace for £25 million back in 2018.
    Sakho hasn't had over 800 days out injured by the age of 25. (Pretty much a third of his career has been spent injured)

Sorry but you're really underselling how chronically injured he is. 

He would be a £40m player but no club is willing to shell out any significant fee for a player that has the risk of being injured for more than half his contract. 
    So the 11 times capped full England international who has only just turned 25 and who has played almost 150 games for one of the best club sides in the world isn't worth £20m but the player who has made 16 appearances in League 1 and scored just 2 goals at that level is worth a lot more than the £1.6m plus add ons we received. Because you did say we were robbed by Chelsea in the Burstow sale and that we should have held out for more at the end of the season. Burstow didn't actually score for us after we sold him and finished with an overall Statbank score of 5.02 which was the lowest for any player who had played 10 games or more for us,

I believe Liverpool will probably get about £25m-£30m for Gomez and that we were lucky to get the £1.6m up front for Burstow plus the various add ons that were included in the contract simply because he's proved absolutely nothing. Joe Gomez went for twice that because he was playing in the Championship at the time and had been a fixture in the England U16s-U19s. Burstow did not have that pedigree.
  • I think he’ll go for less than £20 million. I’m saying around £15 - £18 million. 
  • When the richest club in the world manage to get Trippier for £12m and Pope for £10m, I’d be amazed if Gomez went for over £20m
  • edited June 2022
    No one Is going to pay more than £15m for a player with Gomez's recent injury record.
  • When the richest club in the world manage to get Trippier for £12m and Pope for £10m, I’d be amazed if Gomez went for over £20m
    Doesn't Pope have a £10m release clause for Burnley being relegated? Trippier will be 32 in September whereas Gomez is only just 25. In any event, Gomez still has two years left on his contract and despite the imminent WC I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sign an extension.
    Doesn't Pope have a £10m release clause for Burnley being relegated? Trippier will be 32 in September whereas Gomez is only just 25. In any event, Gomez still has two years left on his contract and despite the imminent WC I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't sign an extension.
    At age 25 it’s no use to Gomez being third choice for Liverpool. He needs to be playing games. He’s already missed much of his career being injured. Would be a crying shame if he ended up with an unfulfilled career. Plenty of Premier League teams would almost guarantee him football provided he stays fit but will he ? 
    At age 25 it’s no use to Gomez being third choice for Liverpool. He needs to be playing games. He’s already missed much of his career being injured. Would be a crying shame if he ended up with an unfulfilled career. Plenty of Premier League teams would almost guarantee him football provided he stays fit but will he ? 
    Depends what he is on at Liverpool and whether someone else is prepared to at least match that. If clubs are baulking at paying £25m for him then they might not be prepared to pay him top dollar wages either. Equally, he might feel that he has a chance of staying fit and being second choice again. 
  • Sponsored links:

So the 11 times capped full England international who has only just turned 25 and who has played almost 150 games for one of the best club sides in the world isn't worth £20m but the player who has made 16 appearances in League 1 and scored just 2 goals at that level is worth a lot more than the £1.6m plus add ons we received. Because you did say we were robbed by Chelsea in the Burstow sale and that we should have held out for more at the end of the season. Burstow didn't actually score for us after we sold him and finished with an overall Statbank score of 5.02 which was the lowest for any player who had played 10 games or more for us,

I believe Liverpool will probably get about £25m-£30m for Gomez and that we were lucky to get the £1.6m up front for Burstow plus the various add ons that were included in the contract simply because he's proved absolutely nothing. Joe Gomez went for twice that because he was playing in the Championship at the time and had been a fixture in the England U16s-U19s. Burstow did not have that pedigree.
    Little bit of a gap there between 1.6m and 20m. 

Gomez is a £40m player but is too injured. It's a fact. No team will spend sizeable money on a player that has a risk of being out for as long as he has been multiple times. 
    If he can stay fit and play regularly somewhere there’s an easy path to starting for England the way Maguire has been. 
  • After the recent performances, England could do with a fit Joe Gomez. Sadly, I think Joe would need to leave Liverpool, to achieve that. Can't see him getting past Matip and Konate,  unless they both get injured. Newcastle? Villa? Would he pass a medical?

Liverpool are letting Minamino go to Monaco for just 15 million

Gomez is a £40m player but is too injured. It's a fact. No team will spend sizeable money on a player that has a risk of being out for as long as he has been multiple times. 
    But not such a gap between £1.6m for an unproven League 1 player as opposed to £3.5m for a more proven Championship and England U19 international. And even if Gomez went for say £18m then we would have received over £7m for a then 18 year old.

I'm not sure he will leave for the reasons I've already mentioned (wage and hope that he regains his place) and he might also look at the likes of Stones and Maguire and think that they aren't fixtures in the first team of their respective clubs either and take a chance that he might make the WC squad on that basis. It's not as if we have hundreds of quality CBs to pick from at the moment as evidenced by our performances recently.

But not such a gap between £1.6m for an unproven League 1 player as opposed to £3.5m for a more proven Championship and England U19 international. And even if Gomez went for say £18m then we would have received over £7m for a then 18 year old.

I'm not sure he will leave for the reasons I've already mentioned (wage and hope that he regains his place) and he might also look at the likes of Stones and Maguire and think that they aren't fixtures in the first team of their respective clubs either and take a chance that he might make the WC squad on that basis. It's not as if we have hundreds of quality CBs to pick from at the moment as evidenced by our performances recently.
    So I was right with under £20m then? 

Gomez will get us a substaintial amount of money if he does go. So obviously it's best for Charlton if he does move on. But talk of £40m valuation isn't living in the real world. 
  • So if Pope is £10M then Burnley profit is £9M, we get 20% I think so £1.8M.

Since TS bought us we have bought in £7.6M so add Pope plus bits for Weirdu and Doughty it will be c£9.5M in transfer income with possibly a further £4M+ to come from Gomez.

Interesting to know how much TS has spent on loans to us in the same period and just how "down" he would be on his "investment/hobby".  Any thoughts?

• Was there a release clause for Joe, hence the low fee, and does that transfer definitely include a sell on clause?
  • Was there a release clause for Joe, hence the low fee, and does that transfer definitely include a sell on clause?
    Yes, release clause
    Yes sell on.  Reported by Cawley and confirmed to still exist 
  • I know it’s been covered already but the percentage we get of Pope profit is more than 20%. I know @Sage believes it’s 23% and I believe TS has said it was higher than standard 20%. Fingers crossed for £1.5-2 mill. Half of that could bring in a couple of very decent players. 
  • edited June 2022
    So if Pope is £10M then Burnley profit is £9M, we get 20% I think so £1.8M.

Since TS bought us we have bought in £7.6M so add Pope plus bits for Weirdu and Doughty it will be c£9.5M in transfer income with possibly a further £4M+ to come from Gomez.

Interesting to know how much TS has spent on loans to us in the same period and just how "down" he would be on his "investment/hobby".  Any thoughts?

It's between 8 and 10 million a year, plus what he paid for us.  So if we include what he has committed to for next season, let's just call it £30 million.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    Is Gomez worth £40 million ? 

So I was right with under £20m then? 

Gomez will get us a substaintial amount of money if he does go. So obviously it's best for Charlton if he does move on. But talk of £40m valuation isn't living in the real world. 
    Did you not see the "even if"? Let's wait and see but my money is on him not leaving this summer and signing a new contract.

And how much would you pay for Burstow now? You did say that £1.6m was way too low and that we should have waited 'til the end of the season so presumably you think he's worth £5m plus now?
  • edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    So if Pope is £10M then Burnley profit is £9M, we get 20% I think so £1.8M.

It's between 8 and 10 million a year, plus what he paid for us.  So if we include what he has committed to for next season, let's just call it £30 million.
    Well, no as next season is not spent yet.  So 18months in let's called it £12-15M using your maths.  Then deduct £9.5M for incoming transfer fees and surprisingly he could be "only" £2.5 - 6m down.  Clearly still massive money but not as much as maybe I had thought previously.
  • Disappointing how low that pope fee is. Think Burnley had an option to extend his contract by a year as well so £10m for a keeper of his proven ability with 2 years left on his contract is a steal.
  • Still, look what Powell did with the £1m Jenkinson dosh. 
    tbf that was a while back when transfer fees and wages weren't as high
  • but what about having £2m?