Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pope dosh?

Comments

• Pope has apparently agreed personal terms with Newcastle and his medical will take place soon. Some places reporting 8m, some saying 10m.
    Thought they'd get at least £15m-ish.

Especially as it's Newcastle.
  • Having a good keeper is so important, surprised he is going at that money. 
  • I read Somewhere he has a relegation clause in his contract thst he can leave for £10m 

They’ve brought Kompany in and hope he has a Vieira- type impact but I’d question what Vincent Kompany knows about Championship football

Burnley are really in a shit state I think with an exodus of players, debt needing urgent payment and a newbie gaffer they might struggle
  • Being reported as ‘£8m upfront’ - no idea if there’s more to come or the Saudis are just washing £8m/100% of the fee.
  • Read a rumour online (so by no means true) that Newcastle have agreed a lower fee for Pope in return for settling the Chris Wood transfer early.

Apparently the second installment of his 25m fee is due in February 2023 but Burnley are desperate for money now, so Newcastle agree to pay that off early and in return get a couple of million knocked off the Pope price.
  • Read a rumour online (so by no means true) that Newcastle have agreed a lower fee for Pope in return for settling the Chris Wood transfer early.

Apparently the second installment of his 25m fee is due in February 2023 but Burnley are desperate for money now, so Newcastle agree to pay that off early and in return get a couple of million knocked off the Pope price.
    That has to be shown in any deal though doesn’t it? The same way if it was players being used to fund the deal, a price of each player has to be agreed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Having a good keeper is so important, surprised he is going at that money. 
    Surprised me too, but then when you look into the details such as he’s only got 1 year left, Burnley reportedly feeling the pinched from relegation, I get it, just unfortunate for us he wasn’t sold this time last season it would have been three times the figure mentioned I’m sure of it.
  • mart77 said:
    Read a rumour online (so by no means true) that Newcastle have agreed a lower fee for Pope in return for settling the Chris Wood transfer early.

That has to be shown in any deal though doesn’t it? The same way if it was players being used to fund the deal, a price of each player has to be agreed.
    What would they show? If it's true then it's basically a gentleman's agreement where Burnley have agreed a lower price.
  • We often hear the term ‘undisclosed’, but if another party has a financial interest, an interest in the truth, then surely the amount has to be disclosed to the third party?
  • I think people within football and the relevant parties all know how much a player costs, it's just the exact number isn't put out so clubs don't feel insecure about how much they've had their pants down by the other club 
  • seth plum said:
    We often hear the term ‘undisclosed’, but if another party has a financial interest, an interest in the truth, then surely the amount has to be disclosed to the third party?
    The disclosure will be to the FA/PL/FL as appropriate.  Burnley need the cash desperately and Newcastle are run by very sharp operators who will be taking down Burnley's pants, socks and everything while administering a severe haircut.  If there's instalments due on Wood's transfer and Burnley want them brought forward, rest assured all the attendant discount will be engineered through Pope's fee, thereby mitigating the 10 or 20% slice due to Charlton.  It won't be in the paperwork obviously.
    We shouldn't get too hung up on it, if Burnley don't generate enough cash from their fire sale, they're bust and we nobody will be getting any money, let alone sell-on bunce.
    Didn't we get bent over when an ex-player moved between Hull and Sunderland, when they were both top division?  Negligible fee resulting in no value in the sell on clause?
    Flogging cheap in favour of cash up front is common enough - even shitforbrains dushitalot understood that.
  • I suppose either way we will get some unforeseen bonus money.
  • edited June 2022

• It’s crazy how this is the most exciting transfer saga this summer for us. Although this would be a huge bonus, the £1m/£1.5m/£2m whatever it may be probably covers the cost to run the club for 2 or 3 months, that’s all it is… 
  • It’s crazy how this is the most exciting transfer saga this summer for us. Although this would be a huge bonus, the £1m/£1.5m/£2m whatever it may be probably covers the cost to run the club for 2 or 3 months, that’s all it is… 
    Wrong.

We’ve potentially got the excitement of how much money we’ll get from Joe Gomez moving.
  • Scoham said:
    It’s crazy how this is the most exciting transfer saga this summer for us. Although this would be a huge bonus, the £1m/£1.5m/£2m whatever it may be probably covers the cost to run the club for 2 or 3 months, that’s all it is… 
    Wrong.

We’ve potentially got the excitement of how much money we’ll get from Joe Gomez moving.
    If he doesn't sign a new contract! I hope he moves on, he needs to be playing to get himself into the picture of being available for the World Cup.

A move for Gomez would probably mean Liverpool would get at least £25mil for him, maybe more. We would be looking at a big windfall if that happens. Seen reports before he would cost around £40mil so that would mean we would get about £9mil.

Personally think a move back to London would do him good. Having a manager like Conte at Spurs, he would learn a lot from him. I think Gomez may be an Arsenal supporter though so that may not be of interest anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yet again like Pope people are getting way ahead of themselves with Gomez. 

Pope was 30 and had 1 year left on his contract. 

Gomez is an injury liability at this point that can't stay fit. The only reason he wasn't injured this season is because he didn't play. 
  • Is Gomez worth £40 million ? 
    No team would offer half that. 
    no.
    No team would offer half that. 
    Guarantee you he goes for at least 20 million. 
    No way. He's now 4th choice centre back and at best 2nd choice right back, maybe even 3rd choice now.

The only thing is Liverpool do tend to get good money for players they don't want. They managed to get almost 60m for Ibe, Brewster and Solanke.
  • 100% Liverpool would get good money for Gomez. A defender who has struggled with injuries, of course, but at his age he has so many years ahead of him. He's English, Liverpool always get good money for their English players, and with his ability other clubs will take the risk and believe if they get him to stay fit they're going to have a top defender on their hands.

If he leaves, with 2 years left on his contract as things stand now, they'll get at least £25 million for him.
  • I reckon Gomez is at least a 25mio player, if he wasnt injured so frequently he would be 40+
  • As an example, Liverpool sold a 27 year old Sakho to Palace for £25 million back in 2018.