Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: England vs Hungary 4th, Germany 7th, Italy 11th and Hungary 14th June 2022

Comments

• Options
    Thought Bellingham was our MotM today.

Well, apart from when he went for a lay down in the German half for 5 minutes!
  • Options
    An ugly draw away to one of the best sides in the world isn’t something to get upset about. No doubt many will pretend to be outraged though. 
  • Options
    Well that looked a penalty - Doesnt matter Kane is offside
    Is that right? I thought if you’re offside that came before the foul so it would be ruled out? I’m surprised by that. Not unhappy though. 😂
    Sorry I can see how I've confused you.

At first I thought it looked a penalty, but then disagreed with myself as thought Kane was offside
    Oh I see. Yeah, I misunderstood.
    I agree though, I thought he was definitely offside.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    msomerton said:
    Why do people go on about Englsnd players being knackered. Have not the German players played through the European season including champions league games. Europe league games and what ever the third competition is called and there own cup games.
    I havent been through the whole team but they have a few players that don’t play in Europe. Even those that are havent played as much this season. Klosterman only played 23 league games for Liepzig, Gudogan wasn’t used as much for City etc. I thought players like Rice and Mount looked tired, but that happens when you don’t keep the ball. I’m sure there’s a statto out there that can confirm tho.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Why do people go on about Englsnd players being knackered. Have not the German players played through the European season including champions league games. Europe league games and what ever the third competition is called and there own cup games.
    I havent been through the whole team but they have a few players that don’t play in Europe. Even those that are havent played as much this season. Klosterman only played 23 league games for Liepzig, Gudogan wasn’t used as much for City etc. I thought players like Rice and Mount looked tired. I’m sure there’s a statto out there that can confirm tho.
    Maybe it's something the England team should look at in general. 

I do think playing the same players every single game (Sterling/Saka/Mount/Rice) on top of their seasons is just running them into the ground. Especially in position where you have to cover ground. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I haven't looked at the stats but England also has the joy of having an additional cup competition compared with the rest of Europe. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I havent been through the whole team but they have a few players that don’t play in Europe. Even those that are havent played as much this season. Klosterman only played 23 league games for Liepzig, Gudogan wasn’t used as much for City etc. I thought players like Rice and Mount looked tired. I’m sure there’s a statto out there that can confirm tho.
    Maybe it's something the England team should look at in general. 

I do think playing the same players every single game (Sterling/Saka/Mount/Rice) on top of their seasons is just running them into the ground. Especially in position where you have to cover ground. 
    I dont think we can play Saka and Sterling in the same side. Both rely on pace and getting in behind. They’re fairly easy to defend against when they’re in front. They dont retain possession either. Players like Grealish and Foden create problems because they can come inside and outside and they generally keep possession.
  • Options
    Bowen wasn’t great. Grealish changed the game….. So much reliant on how much game time Pep gives him in August. If he can start more for Man City, then it could make all the difference.

It does seem Gareth views him as a last 30 mins player. 

If you have him and Kane - then you need to pair with a Sterling or Foden for some pure pace.

In a 4-3-3 I would go for:

Bellingham Rice Mount

Foden Kane Grealish 
    Ahem!  Beat you to it! 🤣🤣
  • Options
    Kane ain’t offside from the original pass as he wasn’t part of that phase, then it took a deflection didnt it? TBH i cant keep up with the rules.

He was in an off side position but the ball came off a German defender playing Kane on side.
    Was it intentional though? As isn't that the rule now? 

I had to look a few time but it isn't a deflection, the Germany defender kicked the ball into the area so that must be why the off side wasn't given as Harry was on the wrong side of the defender.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Bellingham is a baller and has to play instead of Phillips
    Grealish for Saka
    Foden for Sterling 
    4-3-3

Pickford
    Chilwell/Shaw
    Maguire
    Stones 
    Trent

Rice
    Bellingham
    Mount

Grealish
    Kane
    Foden

Would swap Trent for James IMO. Or even Walker.

Trent can’t play right of a 4 with those players around him for England. Not like Liverpool and 65pc possession.
    I think he can but if it was Walker or James I wouldn't complain. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Walker, Stones, Rice, Mount and Sterling were all part of clubs that played a lot of games as their sides reached latter stages of cup competitions. International football straight after a long season when the summer is shorter is bang out of order IMO. Yes England had the choice not to play certain players but I think the planning has been very poor (or more than likely they don't care). 
  • Options
    Walker, Stones, Rice, Mount and Sterling were all part of clubs that played a lot of games as their sides reached latter stages of cup competitions. International football straight after a long season when the summer is shorter is bang out of order IMO. Yes England had the choice not to play certain players but I think the planning has been very poor (or more than likely they don't care). 
    Rudiger didn't seem too bothered though? 
  • Options
    The last two games have been a perfect example of why England will never win anything with Southgate as Manager. His teams play with the handbrake on, and before everyone starts going on about his record ffs look at the players he has to choose from. We have never had a group like this lot and with a manager who played them to their strengths not many teams would live with us.
  • Options
    Rudiger didn't seem too bothered though? 
    No, neither did a few of the players I mentioned, doesn't mean they weren't exhausted though. Some of them have played over 50 games and are back in training for their clubs in a couple of weeks. Footballers don't get much sympathy because of the money they're on but they deserve a break like any other worker. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    The last two games have been a perfect example of why England will never win anything with Southgate as Manager. His teams play with the handbrake on, and before everyone starts going on about his record ffs look at the players he has to choose from. We have never had a group like this lot and with a manager who played them to their strengths not many teams would live with us.
    I'm not sure about that, England have had some real class. This is comfortably our best depth going forwards in my lifetime but look at the defence, Maguire is awful at club level and Stones isn't a Man City regular. Look back to 2004-2006, I'd say at least 6 of them would get into a combined XI. 
  • Options
    Germany's manager said before the game that England could put out 3 international standard teams... That may be a slight bit of gamesmanship, but, people don't say that kind of stuff unless the team is world class on the international stage. I've never known in my lifetime opposition managers saying this kind of thing... about Brazil? Yeah..; but us?
  • Options
    Germany's manager said before the game that England could put out 3 international standard teams... That may be a slight bit of gamesmanship, but, people don't say that kind of stuff unless the team is world class on the international stage. I've never known in my lifetime opposition managers saying this kind of thing... about Brazil? Yeah..; but us?
    Possibly true in some areas but definitely not at CB and probably not in CM. Even up top we’ve tried quite a few to cover Kane and nobody is clear second choice. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    So we are knackered after a season of football. Those Germans must be super fit then they look like it the start of the season.
    Compare the amount of games though.
    Bayern Munich played 47 games last season. 
    City played 58. Chelsea 63. Liverpool 63. Even West Ham played 56.

Not to mention our players had very little rest last summer as we reached the Euro final. Germany went home 2 weeks earlier after we beat them in the last 16. 
  • Options
    Good to see Tomori and Abraham in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't rate Abraham. Why play him against defenders who know his game? 
  • Options
    Don't rate Abraham. Why play him against defenders who know his game? 
    To be fair he scored 17-goals against Italian defences this season.

Does make me laugh though Tomori and Abraham start given they've basically played against Italians all season - Jude Bellingham plays in Germany all season, but starts from the bench.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Maybe the selection is based upon the manager wanting to see the players he wants to see and nothing to do with the nationality of the opposition, what leagues they’re involved with etc.
  • Options
    Mason Mount could take a dump on the queen's lawn and he'd still get picked
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Completely forgot this was behind closed doors. Was really looking forward to watching England play in a packed out, noisy stadium. Wembley is obviously our home, but those years we played all over the country were class.
  • Options
    Possibly true in some areas but definitely not at CB and probably not in CM. Even up top we’ve tried quite a few to cover Kane and nobody is clear second choice. 
    Not saying it's true - but shows the level of respect on the international stage we have now - I guess making semi's and finals will do that - I can remember when our opposition used to slate us and say we were over rated - now its our own fans doing it not the opposition.
  • Options
    Oh that should be 1-0 - Good defending 
  • Options
    Mount is crap
  • Options
    Decent ball to find Sterling... But he has to do better with the finish
  • Options
    Can even hear the Brummie accent in the kids' voices singing "Who are ya". Bless em