Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Womens Euros 2022: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 CHAMPIONS!!!

Comments

• se9addick said:
    If it wasn't for the damage to the pitch, I'd suggest a setup like the 100 in the cricket, where the women play at The Valley at midday on a Saturday, directly followed by the men's match. Open a turnstile or two and a food/drink outlet in each stand and you'd see people arriving early to catch a bit of the women's game.

Getting people in is the biggest hurdle, once they've watched a bit you'd see people arriving earlier and earlier to catch more and more of the women's game. You'd see far bigger crowds for an important women's game if there were 1000s of Charlton fans already heading in that direction on the same day.
    I think the match would have to be played after the mens game on a Saturday, and even then the groundsman would be pretty unhappy! 

If it’s not possible to play more matches at the Valley is there not a venue that’s closer/more convenient to Charlton than VCD?
    Agreed. The women's team isn't ready to play regularly at The Valley, but does need a better venue than an 8th? tier ground, a long way from Charlton.
  • Dont the women play at VCD? Its not that far from the Valley.
    yes they do, nice little ground and suits them (and their gates) perfectly, much better than a 95% empty Valley!
  • The stadium for WSL/Championship games is an interesting debate, I'm not sure (but open to be convinced) about playing WSL games at a quarter full Stamford Bridge/Emirates/London Stadium, when you get a decent crowd at Kingsmeadow (which geographically is smack in Chelsea catchment area). Minimum standard of stadium would help, has to be x miles from the men's ground and be of say National League quality. 
  • se9addick said:
    If it wasn't for the damage to the pitch, I'd suggest a setup like the 100 in the cricket, where the women play at The Valley at midday on a Saturday, directly followed by the men's match. Open a turnstile or two and a food/drink outlet in each stand and you'd see people arriving early to catch a bit of the women's game.

Getting people in is the biggest hurdle, once they've watched a bit you'd see people arriving earlier and earlier to catch more and more of the women's game. You'd see far bigger crowds for an important women's game if there were 1000s of Charlton fans already heading in that direction on the same day.
    I think the match would have to be played after the mens game on a Saturday, and even then the groundsman would be pretty unhappy! 

If it’s not possible to play more matches at the Valley is there not a venue that’s closer/more convenient to Charlton than VCD?
    The peninsula, build it and they will come.
    Thomas this is your calling 😉
  • Think the FA are funding Desso pitches so teams can share. I think Lewes got funding so both the men's and women's team can play at the same ground on a pitch that will last. 
  • Rothko said:
    The stadium for WSL/Championship games is an interesting debate, I'm not sure (but open to be convinced) about playing WSL games at a quarter full Stamford Bridge/Emirates/London Stadium, when you get a decent crowd at Kingsmeadow (which geographically is smack in Chelsea catchment area). Minimum standard of stadium would help, has to be x miles from the men's ground and be of say National League quality. 
    Arsenal play at Borehamwood, indeed it's their money which has paid for the new stands and upgrades so that with its North Bank and proposed Clock End it feels more like an Arsenal stadium than one for Borehamwood! At some point though you'd expect they'd grow too big for a NL ground, currently 4500 capacity, and would need something in between there and the Emirates, which will be a challenge.
  • edited August 2022
    se9addick said:

Agreed. The women's team isn't ready to play regularly at The Valley, but does need a better venue than an 8th? tier ground, a long way from Charlton.
    Crayford is good for me to watch them on the odd occasion i can go,but could Sparrows Lane ever be an option to play the Woman’s 1st team games at…?

Congrats to The Englands Lionesses…🏆🥇🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
  • Palace are at Bromley and London Lionesses at Dartford, two ground much better suited then VCD facilities wise
  • NOT my cuppa T .. however the women showed superb grit and tenacity that the men's team should take as an example .. the win has buoyed the mood of the country and showed to all the young girls and ladies out there that anything is possible if you get the breaks and really set your mind to it. Well done the English women for showing how it can be done
  • My wife was in Weymouth, son at Box park Croydon, daughter on a plane flying back from Qatar where she was in a show and I watched it in good company on my own; magic other than my wife keep sending texts asking about why is the referee bias against England !  In the semi final Hemp was grabbed by the breast and the Swedish player didn't get a card which was crazy. The same player got a card later.

I said it would be physical and more about not being intimated and nothing like the Norway, Spanish or Sweden game as Germany will be all over England like a rash for longer than Sweden and that's why Walsh would only influence the game in second half probably after Oberdorf had been booked.

For once we got the rub of the green in a major tournament but you still have to take advantage. Superb German goal and they did what the Swedish Arsenal  manager said they would, drag Williamson out wider and play the ball into the German runner before Daley or Bright can react. This didn't happen too often and no Popp for Germany meant no 🥂

Girls they wanna have fun; and the English Woman's team can now have a Ladies night out.

It really isn't that complicated to understand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sarina Wiegman has never lost a European Championship game as a manager (six with Netherlands, six with England) - Seriously impressive stuff that

• About time we had female coaches given more of a chance in the men's game.
  • edited August 2022
    Surely if there were other local grounds that were available and better suited, Charlton Women would be playing there?
  • I wouldn't want to see too many mens teams move to Desso pitches to accommodate women's football. Of course, some lower league teams it makes economical sense but watching football on grass is so much better.
  • I wouldn't want to see too many mens teams move to Desso pitches to accommodate women's football. Of course, some lower league teams it makes economical sense but watching football on grass is so much better.
    Suspect it's aimed at lower league clubs to get a better quality grass pitch (whatever your view on Desso is) and it's not a problem in the Premier League as I think they all play on Desso type pitches. 

Think Dartford and the council are keen to get London Lionesses to commit long term at Princes Park to get a desso installed there  
  • edited August 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Surely if there were other local grounds that were available and better suited, Charlton Women would be playing there?
    There probably isn't anywhere. Welling already share with Erith and Belvedere. Millwall play at Dartford, so that pretty much leaves VCD or Sports Club Thamemead (Thamesmead Town's old ground). VCD is probably closer to a train station and closer to the heart of Charlton support than Thamesmead.

When complete, Cray Wanderers new ground on the A20 at Sidcup could be a better option. Walking distance from Sparrows Lane.
  • edited August 2022
    Gribbo said:
    There probably isn't anywhere. Welling already share with Erith and Belvedere. Millwall play at Dartford, so that pretty much leaves VCD or Sports Club Thamemead (Thamesmead Town's old ground). VCD is probably closer to a train station and closer to the heart of Charlton support than Thamesmead.

When complete, Cray Wanderers new ground on the A20 at Sidcup could be a better option. Walking distance from Sparrows Lane.
    Thamesmead wouldn’t be so bad an option. 30 mins by public transport from Charlton to Bayliss Avenue. Although it does involve a bus ride from Abbey Wood station.

Believe the women’s team have played there before.
  • There's a celebration event at Trafalgar Square just about to start. Live on BBC1 etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Those sunglasses are doing a lot of heavy lifting, suspect there are a few heavy heads on that stage 
  • why is Lucy Bronze wearing Ski goggles?
  • why is Lucy Bronze wearing Ski goggles?
    Sponsorship deal with Oakley 
  • I think Lucy Bronze is still a little refreshed. Brilliant. 
  • edited August 2022
    Rothko said:
    The stadium for WSL/Championship games is an interesting debate, I'm not sure (but open to be convinced) about playing WSL games at a quarter full Stamford Bridge/Emirates/London Stadium, when you get a decent crowd at Kingsmeadow (which geographically is smack in Chelsea catchment area). Minimum standard of stadium would help, has to be x miles from the men's ground and be of say National League quality. 
    Arsenal play at Borehamwood, indeed it's their money which has paid for the new stands and upgrades so that with its North Bank and proposed Clock End it feels more like an Arsenal stadium than one for Borehamwood! At some point though you'd expect they'd grow too big for a NL ground, currently 4500 capacity, and would need something in between there and the Emirates, which will be a challenge.
    Could they play at Barnet? (6,500 capacity).

Surely going to be a while before they need a bigger stadium, although obviously you'd expect an upsurge in demand post-Euro's, but even last seasons champions Chelsea only averaged crowds of 3k.

I guess the bigger games (United. Chelsea, Spurs) they would use the Emirates and do cheap ticket deals. Could possibly get 40k+ for the big games if they market it right.
  • Well done ladies.

Didn't get to see it as
     A, I forgot what time it was on and
    B, my shower door decided to fall apart so I was trying to secure that and
    C, I was getting the dinner on straight after my bodged attempt at diy.

Went outside and heard a neighbor's kid singing "it's coming home" thought shit they must be playing. So turned the TV on to see that they had already played and were now celebrating.
    Bet there was someone else in 66 where this same thing happened. 
    Though if it was the men's I would of fucked off the shower and the dinner and would of been one hungry smelly bastard dancing in the street. 

• Meridian wouldn’t have been a bad home for them, when the old grounds man was there, was always like a carpet. Not sure if it would have been viable with the Sunday league football there tho.
  • Meridian wouldn’t have been a bad home for them, when the old grounds man was there, was always like a carpet. Not sure if it would have been viable with the Sunday league football there tho.
    Meridian has two Saturday clubs there now - Bridon Ropes and Meridian VP. Double-figure attendances, tiny little stand. 

I'd probably pop down to the odd CAFC Women match if it was at The Valley, but a Sunday schlep on public transport to the back end of Crayford doesn't really appeal. 
  • Rothko said:
    I wouldn't want to see too many mens teams move to Desso pitches to accommodate women's football. Of course, some lower league teams it makes economical sense but watching football on grass is so much better.
    Suspect it's aimed at lower league clubs to get a better quality grass pitch (whatever your view on Desso is) and it's not a problem in the Premier League as I think they all play on Desso type pitches. 

Think Dartford and the council are keen to get London Lionesses to commit long term at Princes Park to get a desso installed there  
    Dartford have their own women's team as well, in the London & South East Premier, the fifth tier, same as Fulham, Millwall Lionesses and Dulwich - they end up playing in the cages outside the main stadium! Came second in their league last season.

Dulwich have been getting 100-200, sometimes more, for their home matches in that league.