Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon 2022

Comments

• Options
    Born in South Africa. 

Raised in New Zealand. 

Went to University in the US. 

We'll still claim him  ;)
    Why wouldn't we? I don't think his 3 years in RSA have had much influence on his tennis career...yes I know NZ was somewhat different. At least both parents are British.

Let's not send him back with Stokes!
    Not entirely comparable

Norrie came over aged 16, already a junior tennis player. He chose to  represent GB, partially for financial reasons
    Stokes came over aged 12, so a lot of his cricket development was over here. There was no question over which country he'd represent

Norrie to me is like Rusedski. I liked Rusedski, but hard to get quite so patriotic about his success as with Henman or Murray
  • Options
    Born in South Africa. 

Raised in New Zealand. 

Why wouldn't we? I don't think his 3 years in RSA have had much influence on his tennis career...yes I know NZ was somewhat different. At least both parents are British.

Not entirely comparable

Norrie came over aged 16, already a junior tennis player. He chose to  represent GB, partially for financial reasons
    Stokes came over aged 12, so a lot of his cricket development was over here. There was no question over which country he'd represent

Norrie to me is like Rusedski. I liked Rusedski, but hard to get quite so patriotic about his success as with Henman or Murray
    Doesn't make Norrie less British.

I don"t think both Rusedki's father was British and he was 22 when he moved
  • Options
    Born in South Africa. 

Raised in New Zealand. 

Not entirely comparable

Both of Norrie's parents are British, you forgot that he spent 4 years at college in the states.  He really is a citizen of nowhere and a citizen of everywhere.

I would say he is more British than he is anything else.  He probably sees himself that way as well.  Maybe we should subject him to the Norman Tebbit test?  Got all bases covered for that this summer 😜 
  • Options
    Half Welsh, half Scottish.
    Hope he can give Novax a decent match.
  • Options
    Born in South Africa. 

Raised in New Zealand. 

British parents. If you are British then he’s as British as you. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I know he won't but it'll be amusing if Kyrgios wins the whole thing just to see people lose their shit. He'd probably walk out for the final in an outfit that old Mexican keeper Jorge Campos used to wear just to get a reaction.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Born in South Africa. 

Raised in New Zealand. 

Surely it's where you are brought up which is more important though? Neither of Emma Raducanu's parents are British, but having lived here since she was 2, she's far more British than Norrie. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Born in South Africa. 

Raised in New Zealand. 

Surely it's where you are brought up which is more important though? Neither of Emma Raducanu's parents are British, but having lived here since she was 2, she's far more British than Norrie. 
    This debate is painful, you can look at it any way you want. Norrie has 2 British parents and considers himself british so thats all that matters. Emma has been here most of her life so also british, this whole stigma of british if they win , not if they lose. equally trying to discredit players when they make the semis, get over yourselves its boring
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Born in South Africa. 

Raised in New Zealand. 

This debate is painful, you can look at it any way you want. Norrie has 2 British parents and considers himself british so thats all that matters. Emma has been here most of her life so also british, this whole stigma of british if they win , not if they lose. equally trying to discredit players when they make the semis, get over yourselves its boring
    Not discrediting him at all, just pointing out why I don't especially care that he's reached the semis. I'm happy for him personally, and hope he beats Novak, but certainly won't be "flag waving". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    Born in South Africa. 

Raised in New Zealand. 

Not discrediting him at all, just pointing out why I don't especially care that he's reached the semis. I'm happy for him personally, and hope he beats Novak, but certainly won't be "flag waving". 
    Each to their own i guess, i will be cheering him on regardless :) 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I think the main thing is how ridiculous it is to only be able to support people because they were born or raised on the same bit of rock as you. 

Who cares who is British or not. If he wants to be British he can be. Same for anyone else. 
  • Options
    I think the main thing is how ridiculous it is to only be able to support people because they were born or raised on the same bit of rock as you. 

Who cares who is British or not. If he wants to be British he can be. Same for anyone else. 
    Not everyone can be British if they want!

They actually had to change the nationality act to prevent mis-use of children being born here etc now. Nationality is quite  complicated!
  • Options
    Halep and Djokovic singles winners for me
  • Options
  • Options
    Very disappointed with Anisimova. Made me take notice in her last couple of rounds but she's been completely outclassed today.
  • Options

Disagree, I feel a sense of pride and excitement if a British sportsperson achieves something special. I don’t know why, I just do. And that includes being excited that Norrie made it to the semi-finals of Wimbledon because he is, unquestionably, British.

• Options
    Same, Jabeur & Nadal losing finalists.

Would be happy with either Halep or Jabeur winning, but really hope Djokovic doesn't.
  • Options

Would be happy with either Halep or Jabeur winning, but really hope Djokovic doesn't.
    What if it was between Novax & Nomanners?
  • Options
    Rybakina will give Halep a tough game in the semis .. a real little n large contest 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What if it was between Novax & Nomanners?
    Kyrgios all the way, would be quite funny.
  • Options
    Fritz fights back from 3-1 down to take the first set 6-3 over Nadal.
  • Options
    Kyrgios had a wobble to start but he's back on serve in the first set.
  • Options
    Nadal breaks early in the second set for 2-0.
  • Options
    Fritz gets the break back from Nadal. Something not quite right with Rafa today it seems...
  • Options
    Like to see Fritz win this, make a change to see someone different in the semis .. 
  • Options
    Kyrgios had a wobble to start but he's back on serve in the first set.
    Kyrgios now a set and a break up
  • Options
    Fritz gets the break back from Nadal. Something not quite right with Rafa today it seems...
    Considering his struggles with his foot injury it's a minor miracle he even gets out on the court.
  • Options
    Like to see Fritz win this, make a change to see someone different in the semis .. 
    Still worried its just opening up for Djokovic.

If only Sinner could have carried on winning yesterday, Sinner/Norrie, Kyrgios/Fritz could have been refreshing.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I think Nadal needs to win this set. If he can then it's level, but if Fritz wins then at 2-0 down Nadal might decide he can't go 5 sets with his injury.

EDIT: and he does. 1-1 now.

Kyrgios is 2-0 up.