Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mandela Egbo - gone to Colchester (p17)

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the memories Manny. 

In all seriousness – Good luck just has not worked out due to stop start time through injures.

Holden does not seem to rate him and if it allows someone else to come in a RWB with Nathan as back up its good for all parties. 

• Options
    Best wishes Mandela.
    Any new right back is going to have to be darn good to displace Nathan.
  • Options
    Nice guy but below average footballer. 
  • Options
    obviously fell out with Holden and has gone where he might be better managed (pity about his almost inevitable time missed through injury)
  • Options
    obviously fell out with Holden and has gone where he might be better managed (pity about his almost inevitable time missed through injury)
    Not sure it’s obvious, it’s also possible Holden doesn’t rate him. He’s gone back to League 2 where he’ll be playing for Garner who does rate him.
  • Options
    Surprising that he departed before someone else came in. We surely wouldn't have accepted the bid without a replacement lined up?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Thought he was very good defensively before the injury, and a top character apparently. 
    Bit surprised he was moved on. He’d be a decent back up surely. 
    He was only pretty low wages - a third of what Kirk is paid allegedly. Perhaps that’s why he was easier to move on?
  • Options
    Shame, I liked him and thought he was a smart signing at the time. Does make me wonder though, when have we ever taken a player who has completely fallen off the edge and actually rehabilitated them? Going all the way back to Jeffers I feel like our attempts to pick up discarded players who have shown they can do it in the past never pay off. Leon Best, Ricardo vaz Te, Maddison, Ledley, we regularly pick up these ‘there’s a player in there if we can just..’ types and if anything make them worse 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems most think that Sessegnon will be coming in but is he even fit enough to play ? He certainly hasn’t had as far as I can tell had a preseason. Good that we’re in for some quality players but unless we are up to speed very quickly our season is potentially over. 
  • Options
    I didn't enjoy seeing Manny and that lump who injured Leaburn have a bit of a love-in of Instagram after the Welling friendly. I think they go to the same gym (or see same trainer).

He might fancy himself a real "alternative" character having played and lived in Germany, US.

I judge anybody obsessed with Love Island to be lacking something in their life!
  • Options
    Sadly if Sess is the replacement, that will be another incoming who's injury prone and not fit.    I am not sure we can afford to add another player to the squad who won't be properly ready to play until the end of September.

We can't go two months into the season with an unfit squad.   This is a continued concern, that we simply don't seem to learn from.
  • Options
    Surprising that he departed before someone else came in. We surely wouldn't have accepted the bid without a replacement lined up?
    Chicken & egg. We keep on being told that players have to leave before new ones come in. This is the inevitability of it all. 
  • Options
    Strange letting Manny go now unless there's an immediate, fit replacement lined up
    Asiimwe has bags of potential but is as raw as can be
    Having no full back/wing back cover on the right is idiotic
    And I include expecting the likes of  TT or Lloyd Jones to fill in, they ain't full backs
    Last season proved beyond doubt that it ain't an area which can be scrimped on

If there ain't an immediate like for like Egbo replacement then we're still being run on a witless shoestring and 23/24 will at best be every bit as dreadful as 22/23
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    So only Payne and McGrandles left from Garner’s signings before the end of the august transfer window. 
    Were they Garner's signings?  
    Any chance to offload those two and the shameless pisstaking Kirk has to be taken - there have to be good value replacements available for all 3 cos none of them are worth a place in a 3rd division squad
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Shame. Actually a bit annoyed by this when we have no other fit RWB 
    Agree and the timing just before kickoff annoyed me too!
    Difficult not to announce the move as he played for Colchester last night.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    shirty5 said:
    So only Payne and McGrandles left from Garner’s signings before the end of the august transfer window. 
    Were they Garner's signings?  
    Any chance to offload those two and the shameless pisstaking Kirk has to be taken - there have to be good value replacements available for all 3 cos none of them are worth a place in a 3rd division squad
    Three of the signings were from Swindon, so be surprised if they weren't
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    mendonca said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Shame. Actually a bit annoyed by this when we have no other fit RWB 
    Agree and the timing just before kickoff annoyed me too!
    Difficult not to announce the move as he played for Colchester last night.
    I didn't realise that! Fair.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chicken & egg. We keep on being told that players have to leave before new ones come in. This is the inevitability of it all. 
    I would have expected the departure and his replacement to be announced on the same day though.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Sadly if Sess is the replacement, that will be another incoming who's injury prone and not fit.    I am not sure we can afford to add another player to the squad who won't be properly ready to play until the end of September.

We can't go two months into the season with an unfit squad.   This is a continued concern, that we simply don't seem to learn from.
    We're on another year of the injury merry-go-round again already.:

We don't sign enough players early enough in the transfer window -> Players get injured and have an inadequate pre-season -> squad isn't deep enough to cover those injuries -> players get over played because the squad lacks depth -> more injuries happen -> players get rushed back after injury because we are "down to the bare bones" -> players get injured again because they are played too much too soon after injury -> the other injured players get rushed back increasing the risk they will get injured again -> it finally settles down around March when we'll have a decent run but will be too far behind to make up the ground to the play-offs -> half the squad will leave in the summer -> we won't sign enough new players early enough in the transfer window -> players get injured and have an inadequate pre-season -> etc. etc. etc.

• Options

“I was informed by Charlton that they accepted a bid and it was pretty quick after that.

“I’d grown a love for the club and it was obviously disappointing to not be part of the season, having put in the work in the off season and pre-season.

“When I was made aware that I was surplus to requirements, it was obviously tough to hear.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/23730889.mandela-egbo-glad-join-colchester-united-charlton/
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

“I was informed by Charlton that they accepted a bid and it was pretty quick after that.

“I’d grown a love for the club and it was obviously disappointing to not be part of the season, having put in the work in the off season and pre-season.

“When I was made aware that I was surplus to requirements, it was obviously tough to hear.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/23730889.mandela-egbo-glad-join-colchester-united-charlton/
    Sounds pretty shameful to be honest. 
  • Options
    All a bit 'mysterious'. He added some buzz to the place but maybe we were too keen to receive a fee of any kind.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    shirty5 said:

Sounds pretty shameful to be honest. 
    Why? A new manager comes in and he doesn’t rate a player, that’s football, it happens all the time.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    All a bit 'mysterious'. He added some buzz to the place but maybe we were too keen to receive a fee of any kind.
    Kind of surprised they paid any fee tbh. Can’t imagine it’s much over 5 figures for a back-up full back with extensive injuries. The moment you drop behind an 18 year old with 1 senior league appearance in the pecking order, it is probably time to move clubs.
  • Options
    Remember if Dabo has actually been training with us for a month now then Egbo should probably have seen this coming, especially with how much we were using and bigging up Asiimwe 
  • Options
    I really really liked him as a bloke. Just seems lovely. 

I thought he was a decent RB. A fit Dabo or Sess would be an upgrade, but we don't have either of those. 

And I am revisiting this thread after the match today because Asiimwe looked knackered and made a mistake for the third Vale goal.

I feel like we are going to go through another window where we let a manager rebuild a squad, do it part way, then determine the manager isn't good enough, sack him, and bring in the next manager to do the same. Adkins, Jacko, Garner, and now Holden. 
  • Options
    Colchester/Ben Garner bottom of L2.
    3 defeats in 3.
    I make no judgement.