Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jojo Wollacott - out with a broken finger (p12)

Comments

• Options
    Football is a very tough business sometimes. Such fine margins when you get lucky or unlucky. 

To be selfish let’s hope Craig M steps up without incident. 

I assume the worst thing is the injury could well be healed shortly after the World Cup ends. Such bad timing. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    shirty5 said:
    More importantly how long is he out for?
    Being reported to having a fractured finger. No idea how long that takes to heal. 
    Reported where?
    Just hope its just chinese whisper - As Garner was saying it was to be checked last night, with Jojo due to fly out today

Twitter is really full of c****. Some of those comments are unbelievable.
  • Options
    Just feel desperately sorry for Jojo. Such awful bad luck. 
  • Options
    Dreadful news.
    All the best Jo Jo.
  • Options
    oh man alive,JoJo wishing you all the best on your recovery,abso gutted for you,poor bloke
  • Options
    Aw man, poor lad. He's been really good this year. Just heartbroken for him.

He's come through a bunch of non-league loans, played in Norway I believe, and really made a career for himself in the last couple of years. There was an article in The Athletic a little bit ago about how rare black goalkeepers are. Just gutted for him.
  • Options
    Truly gutted to hear about this.

And I’m also in the camp that we should have at least wrapped him up in cotton wool for the final game. As a club we had a lot of money riding on him going to the tournament, so there was business justification.

But more importantly than that, this was possibly a once in a lifetime chance for the lad. I can’t imagine how hard this one stings for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    More importantly how long is he out for?
    No, that's not more important at this extremely difficult time for the lad.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Aw man, poor lad. He's been really good this year. Just heartbroken for him.

He's come through a bunch of non-league loans, played in Norway I believe, and really made a career for himself in the last couple of years. There was an article in The Athletic a little bit ago about how rare black goalkeepers are. Just gutted for him.
    Increasingly unrare in the last couple of years tbf. It's almost like a certain perception is finally, finally being overcome

Anyway, this is perfectly horrible for him, like a nightmare really
  • Options
    Injury is just bad luck - nothing to do with the club. Bizarre how some people think....
    Totally agree. How can a goalkeeper dislocating a finger be down to anything other than bad luck
  • Options
    Injury is just bad luck - nothing to do with the club. Bizarre how some people think....
    Or maybe not everyone has to have the same opinion? 
  • Options
    Didn't realise he was Ghana's first choice keeper. Gutted for you, Jo. As a long time sceptic about our resources as a club in the fitness/medical field I can't see beyond horrible bad luck in this case.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Scoham said:
    cafctom said:

And I’m also in the camp that we should have at least wrapped him up in cotton wool for the final game. As a club we had a lot of money riding on him going to the tournament, so there was business justification.

But more importantly than that, this was possibly a once in a lifetime chance for the lad. I can’t imagine how hard this one stings for him.
    He could have been injured at any time, at what point do you decide that he shouldn’t train and play in case of injury?

Imagine the reaction if we found out TS had told Garner that Wollacott mustn’t play as we need the World Cup income and then we lost due to a MacGillivray mistake.
    I know it’s a strange situation to be in, as this is the first time a major tournament has impacted us mid season.

I personally think it’s mad that most players going to the tournament were playing the week before going, but I can understand it from the clubs’ perspectives. 

However, in our case we had a very decent 2nd choice we could use that was going to end up coming in and playing anyway whilst Jojo was away. With respect to him, it’s not as if we’re talking a player that we simply cannot get by without.

To answer your question - I don’t know when the cut off point should have been. But if there were to be a cut off point, then a few days before the players go would be it for me. 
  • Options
    Gutted for him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So sad for poor Jo, I cannot imagine how he must be feeling. 
  • Options
    How's your luck eh, gotta feel for him - the opportunity may well never come around again
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Just a freak accident, nothing to do with our medical team.

That's got to be so hard to take.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Charlton's number 1!
  • Options
    When I saw the McG was starting, I thought it was out of an agreement to see the last game out before the WC. It's not unusual to see this as is in the interest of both Club and Player.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Scoham said:
    cafctom said:

He could have been injured at any time, at what point do you decide that he shouldn’t train and play in case of injury?

Imagine the reaction if we found out TS had told Garner that Wollacott mustn’t play as we need the World Cup income and then we lost due to a MacGillivray mistake.
    I know it’s a strange situation to be in, as this is the first time a major tournament has impacted us mid season.

I personally think it’s mad that most players going to the tournament were playing the week before going, but I can understand it from the clubs’ perspectives. 

However, in our case we had a very decent 2nd choice we could use that was going to end up coming in and playing anyway whilst Jojo was away. With respect to him, it’s not as if we’re talking a player that we simply cannot get by without.

To answer your question - I don’t know when the cut off point should have been. But if there were to be a cut off point, then a few days before the players go would be it for me. 
    I can’t agree with this. The cut off was to the point the season is suspended (I realise that’s only technically happening above our league level but you get the point). 

Any deadline has pros and cons but is a line in the sand. 

It’s just unfortunate. It could have happened in his first training session at the World Cup. It could have happened last weekend. It’s just Sod’s Law. 

• Options
    I broke and dislocated my ring finger at the age of 16 playing rugby, had to have it taped to a splint for 4 weeks. I was playing rugby again after 2 weeks though! 

The technology in goalie gloves now I'm sure he could play with a broken finger? 

Anyway, horrible thing to happen on the Eve of the World Cup and he might not get another chance at one, which is a real shame
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I broke and dislocated my ring finger at the age of 16 playing rugby, had to have it taped to a splint for 4 weeks. I was playing rugby again after 2 weeks though! 

The technology in goalie gloves now I'm sure he could play with a broken finger? 

Anyway, horrible thing to happen on the Eve of the World Cup and he might not get another chance at one, which is a real shame
    Technology in gloves isn't something I considered. I'm guessing that the risk of further injury comes into it though.