Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jojo Wollacott - out with a broken finger (p12)

Comments

• Options
    Yeah. Very difficult for him. Worse possible timing. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I broke and dislocated my ring finger at the age of 16 playing rugby, had to have it taped to a splint for 4 weeks. I was playing rugby again after 2 weeks though! 

The technology in goalie gloves now I'm sure he could play with a broken finger? 

Anyway, horrible thing to happen on the Eve of the World Cup and he might not get another chance at one, which is a real shame
    in professional sport I'm sure getting him insured to play would come into it
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted for the guy :(
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    SDAddick said:
    Aw man, poor lad. He's been really good this year. Just heartbroken for him.

He's come through a bunch of non-league loans, played in Norway I believe, and really made a career for himself in the last couple of years. There was an article in The Athletic a little bit ago about how rare black goalkeepers are. Just gutted for him.
    Increasingly unrare in the last couple of years tbf. It's almost like a certain perception is finally, finally being overcome

Anyway, this is perfectly horrible for him, like a nightmare really
    Good, I'm glad to hear that. Here's the article, it's quite interesting: https://theathletic.com/3106820/2022/02/13/black-british-and-playing-in-goal-how-can-england-produce-more-non-white-keepers?source=user-shared-article 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I broke and dislocated my ring finger at the age of 16 playing rugby, had to have it taped to a splint for 4 weeks. I was playing rugby again after 2 weeks though! 

The technology in goalie gloves now I'm sure he could play with a broken finger? 

Anyway, horrible thing to happen on the Eve of the World Cup and he might not get another chance at one, which is a real shame
    TS must have been scrimping again then based on the number of goals we let in 🙂
  • Options
    Kips said:
    More importantly how long is he out for?
    No, that's not more important at this extremely difficult time for the lad.
    It is for the club & therefore the fans.

Dont forget we lost Lyle Taylor for over 2 months when he got injured playing for Montserrat. 

Just a daft idea having the WC in the middle of the season & even worse having clubs from League 1 downwards still playing. 

I said when the decision was announced to play the WC in the winter that all European countries should have boycotted it. I'm sure FIFA would have done something then. But as usual people are weak & happy to go along with the crowd & not kick up a stink.

Players are now paying for that decision. 

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Kips said:

Dont forget we lost Lyle Taylor for over 2 months when he got injured playing for Montserrat. 

Just a daft idea having the WC in the middle of the season & even worse having clubs from League 1 downwards still playing. 

I said when the decision was announced to play the WC in the winter that all European countries should have boycotted it. I'm sure FIFA would have done something then. But as usual people are weak & happy to go along with the crowd & not kick up a stink.

Not overall true - this type of injury would have ruled him out of the world cup if it was in the summer and this happened in our last game of the season. 

Every major international comp - players get injured in the build up and miss it.. This is just being hyped up because it is a winter world cup and because it is in Qatar. 

Why shouldn't the middle east hold the World Cup? A lot of the middle east has come a long way in terms of it's culture, and wanting to westernize, while still remaining close to it's religion and roots. A lot of the facts put out by the press is incorrect, and just Middle East bashing!!

And all this about the World Cup in Qatar being a bribe.. Looks like every country has done the same!  
  • Options
    Kips said:

He would have a still got injured if there wasn’t a World Cup, whilst I agree with the idea, it’s entirely irrelevant to this thread. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Kips said:

Not overall true - this type of injury would have ruled him out of the world cup if it was in the summer and this happened in our last game of the season. 

Every major international comp - players get injured in the build up and miss it.. This is just being hyped up because it is a winter world cup and because it is in Qatar. 

Why shouldn't the middle east hold the World Cup? A lot of the middle east has come a long way in terms of it's culture, and wanting to westernize, while still remaining close to it's religion and roots. A lot of the facts put out by the press is incorrect, and just Middle East bashing!!

And all this about the World Cup in Qatar being a bribe.. Looks like every country has done the same!  
    I know the World Cup is not in Iran but in Qatar, but any countries and region where the religion and culture means people speaking up for their rights equals 15000 people getting a death sentence, is IMO not somewhere that deserves a World Cup.

Combine that with the lack of infrastructure and facilities, the lack of sporting pedigree, the extreme temperatures, the fact that women and LGBTQ+ people are barely tolerated at all and must guide who they are, and the fact that it's having to be held in the middle of the season all adds up to this bit really being in the best interests of the fans or indeed football, but in the interests of the greasy palms of FIFA and the white-washing of Qatar's image using the World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So how much is Sandgaard/The Club missing out on with Wollacott not going to the World Cup now? 
  • Options
    Ironically, he could have been back earlier from the World Cup than he may be from his injury 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    sam3110 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Kips said:

I know the World Cup is not in Iran but in Qatar, but any countries and region where the religion and culture means people speaking up for their rights equals 15000 people getting a death sentence, is IMO not somewhere that deserves a World Cup.

Combine that with the lack of infrastructure and facilities, the lack of sporting pedigree, the extreme temperatures, the fact that women and LGBTQ+ people are barely tolerated at all and must guide who they are, and the fact that it's having to be held in the middle of the season all adds up to this bit really being in the best interests of the fans or indeed football, but in the interests of the greasy palms of FIFA and the white-washing of Qatar's image using the World Cup.
    Religion and Culture views are going differ from country to country. What makes one religion and culture right or wrong? Because our views are different from one another, what is right and what is wrong?

I don't agree with all the with all the cultural aspects of the Middle East, but you have to respect it, as we would like to be respected when people come to the UK.

Each country that has hosted or have bid to hold the World Cup has it issues and different views on the way the world should be run. Anything from hunger, racism, war, corruption, religion... 

It is a World Cup and every religion, should be given the opportunity to host the World Cup.. Personally, I would have liked to have seen it split between the GCC countries rather than just Qatar. 

Middle East might not be everyone cup of tea, but it certainly doesn't deserve the amount of bad press
  • Options
    These debates are surely best placed in the thread below, rather than merging Jojo, his finger, religion, war, LGBTQ+ all in his personal thread.

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread - Page 8 — Charlton Life
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    So how much is Sandgaard/The Club missing out on with Wollacott not going to the World Cup now? 
    9k per day so minimum 120k I'd say
  • Options
    I presume he doesn't wear finger savers. Gutted for him though. If any of you have kids who are budding keepers though, get them used to the finger savers.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    if it makes anyone feel a bit better, the 100k would have been used to proliferate the ridiculous idea that its even notionally possible to break even in league one. Gutted for the man, but laughing at the owner. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Kips said:

When the World Cup is in the summer players usually have at least 4 weeks from the end of the season to when the WC starts. Wollocott getting injured in the last game of this season (May 6th) would probably have a very good chance of taking some part of a summer world cup  - of the last 5 only one started before June. The others started around the 10th-12th june. 

And the issue isnt that it's being held in the middle east or any other racial/ religious clap trap. Its because it's being held in the winter, when most of the teams taking part are playing and therefore are mid season. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Kips said:

When the World Cup is in the summer players usually have at least 4 weeks from the end of the season to when the WC starts. Wollocott getting injured in the last game of this season (May 6th) would probably have a very good chance of taking some part of a summer world cup  - of the last 5 only one started before June. The others started around the 10th-12th june. 

And the issue isnt that it's being held in the middle east or any other racial/ religious clap trap. Its because it's being held in the winter, when most of the teams taking part are playing and therefore are mid season. 
    so in your world, players can choose when they get injured? 

Surely pre-season, when a player is not up to speed is far more of a risk of injury? 

Jo was an exceptional case of bad luck. Again, another rubbish take from you, I start to wonder if you even really follow football?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Good... Gillingham couldnt even be bothered to give Ashley any minutes
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted for the lad, but injuries happen. He could easily have done that first training session in Qatar I guess. In my heart I honestly feel that we should have rested him last week though. It would have been the right thing to do for a young lad about to fulfil a lifelong dream of playing in a WC. Bet Garner is thinking the same now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Hope he comes back stronger.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Kips said:

so in your world, players can choose when they get injured? 

Surely pre-season, when a player is not up to speed is far more of a risk of injury? 

Jo was an exceptional case of bad luck. Again, another rubbish take from you, I start to wonder if you even really follow football?
    No, my take on it is that having just 8 days from your last game for your club and the
    WC starting is madness and any injuries or even minor niggles you pick up during your last club match could mean you miss out......whereas in any usual summer WC you would have around a month between last club game & first WC game (ignoring play offs), which gives you time to recover.

I start to wonder if you even really follow football. 
  • Options
    Really gutted for JoJo. Praying he heals well and comes back stronger and will be given another great chance with Ghana national team in future world cup. Gutted also for Charlton as this would have been a great focus for the club. As it is we have "ex-charlton Gunter" to look forward to instead! 
  • Options
    Really gutted for JoJo. Praying he heals well and comes back stronger and will be given another great chance with Ghana national team in future world cup. Gutted also for Charlton as this would have been a great focus for the club. As it is we have "ex-charlton Gunter" to look forward to instead! 
    What about " Heeere's Johnny !" 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Just seen this on Facebook,  not in bad company!

I was going to say, wished they played for Charlton!!

And then saw they were all injured, would fit right in!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Just seen this on Facebook,  not in bad company!

I was going to say, wished they played for Charlton!!

And then saw they were all injured, would fit right in!
    Kante would be good cover for George Dobson 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    sam3110 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Kips said:

Religion and Culture views are going differ from country to country. What makes one religion and culture right or wrong? Because our views are different from one another, what is right and what is wrong?

I don't agree with all the with all the cultural aspects of the Middle East, but you have to respect it, as we would like to be respected when people come to the UK.

Each country that has hosted or have bid to hold the World Cup has it issues and different views on the way the world should be run. Anything from hunger, racism, war, corruption, religion... 

It is a World Cup and every religion, should be given the opportunity to host the World Cup.. Personally, I would have liked to have seen it split between the GCC countries rather than just Qatar. 

Middle East might not be everyone cup of tea, but it certainly doesn't deserve the amount of bad press
    Agree with this. Hugo Lloris has come in for a lot of criticism recently for saying this, and for refusing to wear the rainbow armband.

With regards to all the LGBTQ+ hysteria, everyone seems to forget that the star on England's shirts was earnt in England at a time when homosexuality was illegal. Unless the FA renounce the honour it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black.