Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles (2024 edit - Rejoins Lincoln page 23)+++

Comments

• Options
    He’s been unlucky with injuries, but it’s not our fans fault that he’s done nothing in 18 months.

I’m not convinced a scrappy goal where the keeper should have done better deserves the celebration we got or the subsequent inquest in to supporters past comments.

Hopefully Appleton brings out the best of him and we all benefit.
  • Options
    If he can stay fit I think he could get in this team. Louie Watson has been brilliant in that midfield but our team does feel unbalanced with too many attacking players. McGrandles next to Dobson could be the solution and stop us leaking so many goals 
  • Options
    I even found something from today’s match thread for you

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/5122771/#Comment_5122771

I wonder how many people were on the match thread? A few hundred? 1 person says something daft and is later picked up on it by at least 2-3 other posters. I am not sure it is worthy of highlighting.
  • Options
    SOTF said:
    He’s been unlucky with injuries, but it’s not our fans fault that he’s done nothing in 18 months.

I’m not convinced a scrappy goal where the keeper should have done better deserves the celebration we got or the subsequent inquest in to supporters past comments.

Hopefully Appleton brings out the best of him and we all benefit.

To be fair it was a very good cross, and a well controlled header. He placed it right at the floor by the near post. Yes their keeper made a hash if it, but I can't think of a better place to head the ball from that angle to put the keeper under pressure and 'force' a mistake.
    I too hope this builds his confidence, surely we want all players to be at their best as that means more chance if top 6 finish?
  • Options
    His interview answer was BS. Even in the aftermath celebrations Alfy was pushing McG towards the fans and he was resisting. That said, I don’t blame the guy. Let’s hope this is the start of something for him here as he’s virtually a new signing if Apples can get a tune out of him. Good luck Conor. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    It is only a week ago he was subbed off against a team of part timers so I'm not getting too excited just yet 

Hopefully this goal can kick start his career here and he stays injury free 
    He was subbed off because it was his first game back in ages. 
    And ended up staying on longer than was agreed due to the state of the match. Appleton thanked him as he came off so obviously there was some acknowledgement that we risked setting his recovery back by leaving him our there longer to keep better players on the pitch 
  • Options
    All something of nothing.

Player signs.

Gets injured, and in the appearances he does make does very little that's positive.

Goes out on loan, apparently does well.

Comes back gets injured (which apparently stops the Club from loaning back out)

Player gets fit, comes on late in game, gets a header on target, keeper doesn't deal with it, away supporters go absoulte wild and could not care less how the player who scored reacts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The post-game video I’ve seen of Hector pushing Conor, the guy is resisting to move forward, and generally just looks shy, more than anything else. Maybe he is uncomfortable with everything shone on him, not every player has to love attention.

His celebrations when playing for Falkirk look pretty standard. My guess is he didn’t want to celebrate after the criticism he’s had but I don’t have a problem with that. He’ll soon build a connection with the fans if he can keep making a positive impact on the first team. https://youtu.be/KN6oaI22z7k?si=WqVLCmkoeKmDuBdD
  • Options
    It’s a strange one. He’s obviously got something because his Lincoln / Cambridge performances speak to that. I just wonder if the move to Charlton where certainly the fans expect promotion and the club has a Premier League history and stadium are the problem for him. A move where he had too much pressure and expectation ? He’s now fit and has a manager he knows and there is I expect a mutual trust. Could just be his time to flourish. Having the fans onside might help. Yesterday’s reluctance to celebrate with fans was I think very sad. Hope he proves a lot of people wrong.
  • Options
    His interview answer was BS. Even in the aftermath celebrations Alfy was pushing McG towards the fans and he was resisting. That said, I don’t blame the guy. Let’s hope this is the start of something for him here as he’s virtually a new signing if Apples can get a tune out of him. Good luck Conor. 
    Looked like it was No 10 pushing him towards the fans. His fellow Scot.

Strange how some have mentioned it was Hector and others May. It clearly looked like No10.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Strange how some have mentioned it was Hector and others May. It clearly looked like No10.
    Fraser during the match, Hector after. 
  • Options
    If you are being loaned out and bearing in mind it was mentioned that he was likely to move on before the end of the summer window, it's hardly surprising that he does not feel part of plans laid out, especially by the previous manager. Not just his goal yesterday, but the role he played in wrestling the midfield back off Morrell and Robertson when Pompey starting to dominate, shows that he has something that will give our midfield a chance. Bringing Fraser on, is an attacking option as he doesn't sit in, Dobson, McGrandles and Fraser works because you have two defensive minded midfield players in there.  
  • Options
    Didn’t want to celebrate no wonder when some of our fans booed when came on…feel for the bloke
    Boooooing works 

"Oh no it doesn't" "oh yes it does"

"Where's the ball, near post Norris" ?

"It's behind you"
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    mendonca said:

I'm convinced half of our fans should go to Specsavers if they can't tell the difference between wee Alfie May, big Michael Hector or the person who pushed Conor forward, Scott Fraser just after the goal was scored.

No wonder the scores on the doors are so erratic at times. 
  • Options
    A shame he did not feel able to celebrate a huge goal in front of a rocking away end, I do have sympathy for dealing with abuse or trolls, I don't personally understand the mindset of people who feel the need to type out direct to the person why they don't like them rather then just share their honest thoughts on a site like this.

That being said, being on social media or giving unlimited access to your social media to the general public is a choice, the abuse or trolling can stop with a click of a few buttons so I really do not understand why anyone with any minor fame would put themselves through that and allow it to effect their real life.

If he feels that strongly then let the Appleton know and we can end his time at the club, if not then put in better performances and win us over, as the only reason this team sometimes gets abuse in person is because we fans, not meaning literally this specific season are watching the worst period in our clubs history.

At least he did follow through on cupping the ear to the fans of the club who employ him, as for me that would be career here over, proper idiot behaviour any player who does that. 
  • Options
    It is only a week ago he was subbed off against a team of part timers so I'm not getting too excited just yet 

Hopefully this goal can kick start his career here and he stays injury free 
    Substitutions are also tactical and fitness related, not based purely on performance. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Someone mentioned Sammy Nelson, who bore his arse to the North Bank at Highbury many moons ago IIRC. If our Conor had done that, at least we wouldn't be left in any doubt as to what he really thought at that moment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He can obviously play as a defensive mid but when he first arrived he said that he preferred a more attacking role. Maybe his injuries have decided which he should play. 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    A shame he did not feel able to celebrate a huge goal in front of a rocking away end, I do have sympathy for dealing with abuse or trolls, I don't personally understand the mindset of people who feel the need to type out direct to the person why they don't like them rather then just share their honest thoughts on a site like this.

That being said, being on social media or giving unlimited access to your social media to the general public is a choice, the abuse or trolling can stop with a click of a few buttons so I really do not understand why anyone with any minor fame would put themselves through that and allow it to effect their real life.

If he feels that strongly then let the Appleton know and we can end his time at the club, if not then put in better performances and win us over, as the only reason this team sometimes gets abuse in person is because we fans, not meaning literally this specific season are watching the worst period in our clubs history.

At least he did follow through on cupping the ear to the fans of the club who employ him, as for me that would be career here over, proper idiot behaviour any player who does that. 
    Some people have said he was booed when he came on, is that true?
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:

Some people have said he was booed when he came on, is that true?
    I heard some booing but was not very loud. Did you not hear it?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I even found something from today’s match thread for you

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/5122771/#Comment_5122771

I wonder how many people were on the match thread? A few hundred? 1 person says something daft and is later picked up on it by at least 2-3 other posters. I am not sure it is worthy of highlighting.
    The problem is that the internet isn’t the same as real life. If it was one bloke in a pub staying the same daft stuff, fair enough. But take yesterday’s match thread comments and then apply those to any time his name gets brought up on here. 

Then multiply that impact when it’s the vocal minority’s comments that are always the ones that get remembered.

I don’t blame McGrandles one bit for everything going through his head, from hearing boos (apparently) when he came on yesterday to the online experts making daft and nasty comments. It’s probably not a very nice headspace to have to be in when you think there’s 2000 people in a stand, that are supposed to be your support, that don’t like you.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Here’s a comment on “McAmbles” (another funny name he picked up to go with McShambles of course) on a match thread, from a game that he didn’t even play in!

https://charltonlife.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/5064468/#Comment_5064468

It’s nasty and it’s got to stop IMO.
  • Options
    He explains why he didn't celebrate too much . Simple explanation and it makes sense . Hopefully the haters will leave him alone for a while. 
  • Options
    Camara now out for a long long time. Connor needs to step up and grab his chance.