Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles (2024 edit - Rejoins Lincoln page 23)+++

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Croydon said:
    He explains why he didn't celebrate too much . Simple explanation and it makes sense . Hopefully the haters will leave him alone for a while. 
    Cynic in me says he's not being entirely honest, as at the full time whistle he had to be manhandled over to the away end by Hector 
    Might just hate being singled out, and forced to be at the centre of attention - I'd die inside if that was something done to me.
  • Options
    Glad for Connor and us but that’s dreadful goalkeeping for his goal. 
  • Options
    He’d be better off being like Leaburn. Don’t get a kick for 90 minutes and you get something on players marks like 6.5 Wasn’t his day today.  
  • Options
    One thing that probably didnt help his start to his Charlton career, is that our player of the season Dobson was dropped in the first game of the season for him under Garner. Because he didn't have the best of starts and he was seen as a like for like with Dobbo, it didn't sit right with a lot of fans. It's really difficult to turn stuff like that around once you've got a reputation. 

He plays a similar role to Dobson but seems to have a different style - he seems less blood-and-thunder, combative tackler than Dobson more about cutting off passes and stepping in at the right moment.

That's not to say one style is better than another, both have strengths and weaknesses, but fans are naturally going to respond better to "passion" and more exciting stuff in general, especially in the context of a football match.

This isn't me advocating dropping Dobson or anything close to that, he deserves all his acclaim, but he does cast a particularly large shadow for anyone to have to step out of. 
  • Options
    Good for him he scored hopefully will give him a boost but I still don’t think his got much to offer a lack of belief in himself much like Charlie Kirk. 
  • Options
    Anybody down the front at Fratton on Saturday hear what CMcG said to the Addickted when the goal went in?
    Was a weird reaction to scoring/the supporters for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hadn't realised until I heard from a comment on latest Charlton Live pod that he was booed when he came on on Saturday...... just wondering from anyone who was there whether it was just a few or wider spread than that?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Good job he didn’t do a Sammy Nelson or a Mark Aizlewood
    Or a Cantona!
  • Options
    Hadn't realised until I heard from a comment on latest Charlton Live pod that he was booed when he came on on Saturday...... just wondering from anyone who was there whether it was just a few or wider spread than that?
    Assume a few as I was there and didn't hear any booing.
  • Options
    Assume a few as I was there and didn't hear any booing.
    Ok thanks..... that's good.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I don't know about what's been said on social media other than what is said on here - don't think he has had it that bad really, lots of people in pre season saying he deserves a chance, but then he goes and gets himself injured again - yet again look at the reaction to him today - lots of people pleased for him, hoping he can now crack on - Charlie Kirk could score a hat trick and people would still want him to do one.

Chuks has had a lot of shit flung at him for injuries but he doesn't feel the need to be a diva to the fans when he scores.

If CM wants to knuckle down and contribute to the team then cool, but if he doesn't wanna be here then he can do one and MA should be making that very clear to him if he hasn't already.

Everyone keeps saying about attitudes in the dressing room being off and to me someone with an attitude like that today is part and parcel of it. 
    Comments like this are exactly why he didn’t dive into the fans. If you’ve seen the comments on here then there’s no way you can say he hasn’t had it that bad. He’s been injured almost his entire Charlton career which isn’t his fault and yet there’s a running shit nickname competition for him. McShambles is a popular one, some genius poster used to regularly cal him McCrappy which isn’t even good. He’s been written off on here for the last year. Then you say he ‘got himself injured’ as if that’s his own doing and not a devastating setback for him. He’s barely played, unlike Kirk, and if you look at his player marks and a lot of the comments from the Cray game he was marked down just for being McGrandles even when he actually had a fairly decent first game back from injury. He saves us a point, keeps his celebration understated and suddenly you’re accusing him of having a bad attitude and saying he can do one. He’s a ‘diva’ apparently. I don’t think it’s him who’s the problem
    Wow talk about misrepresent what I said.

I didn't accuse him of having a bad attitude and say he can do one for a start -

I repeat -  IF he doesn't want to be here then he can do one - because someone with an attitude like that is bad for the dressing room - key word IF - and that is something for MA to deal with.

Unless you think having players in the dressing room that don't want to be here is somehow a good thing for the team?

I will correct the wording of "he got himself injured" as I wasn't trying to say that he somehow did it on purpose as that would be ridiculous and wasn't how I meant that to sound - the point wasn't about the injury anyway it was the fact that people wanted to give him a chance in pre season but you are just convieniently ignoring that bit.

I stand by what I said he hasn't had it as bad on here as a few other players - Aneke and Kirk for starters, who have also had shit nicknames and critisisms in a far more sustained way, but I guess that is just a matter of opinion. 

Also the implication was not that he kept the celebration understated - people have already commented that the reaction was interpreted as an F you to the fans - he could have just jogged back to the centre circle if he wanted to keep it muted but to me it looked in that clip like he was almost going to front up to the fans and then turned around stopping himself - thats a big difference to what you're saying - watch it back - that is not a muted celebration its a fuck you.
    Aside from the fact that's a truly mad interpretation of his reaction to scoring, there's an absolutely hilarious irony in here about you claiming that McGrandles hasn't had it that bad and shouldn't be upset with all the abuse he's had while simultaenously having a tantrum about how he didn't celebrate enough and interpreting his refusal to cuddle up to the fanbase as 'a fuck you' but I'll leave you to identify it
    tantrum lol nice ok.

You can interpret his reaction that way if you want, I have chosen to interpret it how I saw it, and I was by far not the only one - they wouldn't put out an interview with him afterwards trying to explain it away if there was nothing in it - it wouldn't have even been brought up would it? 

Callum shared some particularly nasty tweets that I wasn't privy to (as I said originally I don't do other social media other than here) so his response is a bit more understandable to me now, so thanks Callum for sharing that - I stand by my comment that he hasn't had it that bad to my knowlege on here to others - I haven't mentioned him but Albie Morgan would be one that I would say has been critisised far more on here for example. I can only go by what I have heard and seen on here or at games because i'm not on twitter.

I'm a Charlton fan that wants all of our players to do well, and I have never said a word against the guy since he has been here until Saturday, when he got my back up - sorry about that - like many others on here my view has been that he has been unlucky but could potentially play a big part in the team. But I also only want players that actively WANT to be here. Sorry if my opinion doesn't exactly allign to your views - football is all about opinions sometimes. 

• Options
    Good for him he scored hopefully will give him a boost but I still don’t think his got much to offer a lack of belief in himself much like Charlie Kirk. 
    Except everyone seems to say what a great character he is and his previous clubs seem to really rate him, where as with Kirk, no one seems to praise his character or temperament.

Think he has a lot more to offer than Kirk. But then I think you have a lot more to offer than Kirk and I have never met you or seen you play football.
  • Options
    I actually think he can have a role to play.... kinda like the Andy Hughes role from Powells team. Who didnt stand out per se, but actually did a lot that allowed others to play and do their thing.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Apples said that McGrandles will have opportunities "... between now and January", which begs the question, what's the plan for Conor in January?

With Taylor coming back, I wonder if he'll be off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just not good enough
  • Options
    just not good enough
    For what? It’s likely he’ll be 4th choice CM at most. He’s proven in L1, not everyone in the squad needs to be a top end L1 player for us to do well.
  • Options
    just not good enough
    Disagree. He's certainly good enough for what we need him for - someone to cover and do a job whilst other options are unavailable. If Dobson, Fraser, Taylor, Camara and Watson are all fit and ready then he's unlikely to be a regular starter but in our current situation where that's not the case then he's as good as it realistically gets as cover.

Are there better midfielders out there? Probably yes. Are there midfielders who are better AND would also be willing to act as the "squad player" role? Almost certainly not. 
  • Options
    Just like the keeper he’s fine as long as he’s not playing 

keeper , Kirk and McGrandles first names down for the BDSM Trophy 
  • Options
    The question mark over Dobsons future, may give an indication that Mcg is getting games to see if he can fill that void should a bid for Dobson arrive in the transfer window. At 28 he's a good age and but for injuries he should be reaching his prime, he also has bags of experience which is something lacking in the squad. My money is on him staying and thriving which will save this club a lot of money. Some people on here and the dickheads who booed him on Saturday, need to realise that Saturdays appearance was only his ninth League appearance for Charlton, how many were from the bench I don't know but I'm sure his doubters could tell us. 
  • Options
    Why is there a question mark over Dobbo? From where/what?
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    Why is there a question mark over

His contract is up next June.
  • Options
    since Garry doesn't want to reply to me, i'll put it out there - he is absolutely good enough - he sits in the same position as Lavelle last year for me - good enough to captain a lower league one side with a smaller fan base - needs to do more and try harder to impress to step up and that is completely up to him. 

we aren't asking him to score goals to not celebrate - that isn't his job - it's up to him if he wants to be against the fans, I just think he would be better off leaning into us because we are not against him - but he seems to be wanting to be combative when all we ask as fans is that they care.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    just not good enough
    For what? It’s likely he’ll be 4th choice CM at most. He’s proven in L1, not everyone in the squad needs to be a top end L1 player for us to do well.

proven ? .. where? .. fair few games at MKD and Lincoln as well as Falkirk .. none of these clubs have exactly set the world on fire during his presence .. I repeat, for US, he is NOT good enough, if he were he would be a regular starter .. a '4th choice central midfielder' (your definition) should be a youngster on the way up, not a late twenty year old who's in decline