Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles (2024 edit - Rejoins Lincoln page 23)+++

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    just not good enough
    For what? It’s likely he’ll be 4th choice CM at most. He’s proven in L1, not everyone in the squad needs to be a top end L1 player for us to do well.

proven ? .. where? .. fair few games at MKD and Lincoln as well as Falkirk .. none of these clubs have exactly set the world on fire during his presence .. I repeat, for US, he is NOT good enough, if he were he would be a regular starter .. a '4th choice central midfielder' (your definition) should be a youngster on the way up, not a late twenty year old who's in decline
    Lincoln made the play offs when he was captain off the team! 

Which is better then we’ve managed to do the past couple of seasons.
    and Appleton was the Lincoln manager .. he doesn't seem to be too keen on him as Charlton manager, fourth choice at very best 
  • Options
    Played in every game since he returned from injury a couple of weeks ago so no real evidence that that Appleton isn't keen. 
    EVERY GAME (lol) in the past couple of weeks (unquote) .. total = 3 .. started in both cup games and was replaced, came on at Pompey, admittedly scored his first thanks to a very dodgy keeper, SOOO some might say he's ok, my opinion is, he is NOT good enough,

unlike some on here I am never of the opinion that every Addicks player has a sunbeam shining from his derriere .. end of as far as I am concerned
  • Options
    If you'd read back you'd see that I've not rated McGrandles at all.

What is true is that since he's been available, after recovering from injury, Appleton has played him in every game so I repeat that there is no evidence that the manager "isn't keen."
  • Options
    Bailey said:

What is true is that since he's been available, after recovering from injury, Appleton has played him in every game so I repeat that there is no evidence that the manager "isn't keen."
    So from that statement we can deduce that Linc's is talking bollocks, thought so !
    and from this statement I deduce you are an arrogant no nothing twat
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Bailey said:

So from that statement we can deduce that Linc's is talking bollocks, thought so !
    Linc's, do you actually live near Lincoln ? As you seem to have a pathological hatred for the fella for what reason I fail to understand. Did you see him play for Lincoln ? did he guzump you on a house purchase ?  Is he a mod and your a rocker ? explain please.  
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:

Linc's, do you actually live near Lincoln ? As you seem to have a pathological hatred for the fella for what reason I fail to understand. Did you see him play for Lincoln ? did he guzump you on a house purchase ?  Is he a mod and your a rocker ? explain please.  

I've said a million times, don't exaggerate.  The opinions I've expressed solely concern his footballing ability as I see it, others might agree or disagree, it's all a matter of personal judgement ..

I m o he is not good enough to play for CAFC. He might be a lovely fella, a good team man, a manager's dream who attempts (badly) to play whatever role he is told to play, he probably fits into the current wage and cost profile of our club, i.e. all we can realistically afford right now and could afford when he was signed, I am sure he does his best, however, that best is just not good enough.
     In professional sport there are many who fall just below the standard required for the level they strive to attain, it is a very tough business, i m o McGrandles falls into that category,
    Lastly, f w i w many Lincoln fans gave a huge sigh, even a cheer of relief when he left, of course others were in floods of tears, so it goes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many games before my know nothing opinion carries wait/weight/w8 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    just not good enough
    For what? It’s likely he’ll be 4th choice CM at most. He’s proven in L1, not everyone in the squad needs to be a top end L1 player for us to do well.

proven ? .. where? .. fair few games at MKD and Lincoln as well as Falkirk .. none of these clubs have exactly set the world on fire during his presence .. I repeat, for US, he is NOT good enough, if he were he would be a regular starter .. a '4th choice central midfielder' (your definition) should be a youngster on the way up, not a late twenty year old who's in decline
    Proven at MK and Lincoln as you say. No less proven than squad players Powell and Bowyer took us up with such as Hughes, Reeves etc.

Why have rules over how old players need to be? We have a promising young CM in Anderson, it’s up to him to win a regular place on the bench or in the starting eleven. He shouldn’t get it by default.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    just not good enough

Proven at MK and Lincoln as you say. No less proven than squad players Powell and Bowyer took us up with such as Hughes, Reeves etc.

Why have rules over how old players need to be? We have a promising young CM in Anderson, it’s up to him to win a regular place on the bench or in the starting eleven. He shouldn’t get it by default.
    Hughes was proven but wasn’t signed to be a starter - he was well over 30. I doubt many of us will remember reeves’ contribution to the 2018-19 season in 20 years (maybe Leuth).  There is only one sensible viewpoint here - McGrandles might turn out to be useful but all we’ve really seen so far is two performances against tier 8 and a goal against Pompey that would have been saved more often than not (although I’m delighted he did it).  Let’s hope he gets an injury free spell and he can challenge Watson to partner Dobbo.  
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    like Manuel (Fawlty Towers), you might no noffin, EXCEPT that, as you opined, McG, Walker and Kirk should be kept right away from actually taking the field for us as far as is possible ..

incidentally during a telephone conversation yesterday with my seriously Addicks Addicted friend (not quite up to Seb Lewis standard but missed no more than a handful of games in the last countless decades), we agreed that rarely has a player been so effectively Charltonised as Charlie Kirk, superb at Crewe, nigh on clueless for us
  • Options
    like Manuel (Fawlty Towers), you might no noffin, EXCEPT that, as you opined, McG, Walker and Kirk should be kept right away from actually taking the field for us as far as is possible ..

incidentally during a telephone conversation yesterday with my seriously Addicks Addicted friend (not quite up to Seb Lewis standard but missed no more than a handful of games in the last countless decades), we agreed that rarely has a player been so effectively Charltonised as Charlie Kirk, superb at Crewe, nigh on clueless for us
    Linc's you are entitled to your view, this is a forum after all, what others posters are trying to point out is that to judge someone on such flimsy evidence, 670 minutes, doesn't add up. Also back to the alleged booing of the player concerned at Pompey and the angst his lack of celebration caused.  I don't know what line of work you were in Linc's or even if you are still doing that work, but in my experience, if someone was going to pass judgement over the quality of my work I'd want that work judged over a fair period of time, seven games is not nearly enough and if someone did that to you, you'd have every right to pretty angry. I just hope that if he proves you wrong, that you you have the good grace to come on here and say so. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:

I've said a million times, don't exaggerate.  The opinions I've expressed solely concern his footballing ability as I see it, others might agree or disagree, it's all a matter of personal judgement ..

I m o he is not good enough to play for CAFC. He might be a lovely fella, a good team man, a manager's dream who attempts (badly) to play whatever role he is told to play, he probably fits into the current wage and cost profile of our club, i.e. all we can realistically afford right now and could afford when he was signed, I am sure he does his best, however, that best is just not good enough.
     In professional sport there are many who fall just below the standard required for the level they strive to attain, it is a very tough business, i m o McGrandles falls into that category,
    Lastly, f w i w many Lincoln fans gave a huge sigh, even a cheer of relief when he left, of course others were in floods of tears, so it goes
    Don’t you think it’s a bit weird to make that personal judgement after 670 injury ravished minutes for Charlton? Which amounts to about 7 games which is barely a pre-season.

Considering he captained a Lincoln side to the play offs, and the Cambridge fans and manager were very complimentary about his ability. I feel it’s a bit silly to write him off.

My personal judgement is he has been nowhere near as bad as people like to make out. But whether he is good enough yet or not, I’m not sure. I expect we will see more off him before January so might be able to build a better picture by then.
    during his time at Lincoln I saw him play for them four, possibly five games .. my general opinion was that he was not very good, but he was tough and got 'stuck in' for what was than a very good Lincoln team,  with good loan signings, but the rest of the talent sold off to higher ranked clubs after the play off disappointment. His input was limited, he probably did just what his manager wanted, a very restricted role i m o. I suspect his 'good reputation' was very much the result of him playing in that very good Lincoln team.
     I was surprised to say the least when we signed him, perhaps he was the best available from a poor lot, or; as I said above, all we could afford.
    How many games does it take to judge a player ?. Usually as far as I am concerned it takes just a few to make a judgement. Many players are superb at one club playing a specific role only to find when they move, they are a fish stranded well out of the water (Charlie Kirk ?)
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:

Don’t you think it’s a bit weird to make that personal judgement after 670 injury ravished minutes for Charlton? Which amounts to about 7 games which is barely a pre-season.

Considering he captained a Lincoln side to the play offs, and the Cambridge fans and manager were very complimentary about his ability. I feel it’s a bit silly to write him off.

My personal judgement is he has been nowhere near as bad as people like to make out. But whether he is good enough yet or not, I’m not sure. I expect we will see more off him before January so might be able to build a better picture by then.
    during his time at Lincoln I saw him play for them four, possibly five games .. my general opinion was that he was not very good, but he was tough and got 'stuck in' for what was than a very good Lincoln team,  with good loan signings, but the rest of the talent sold off to higher ranked clubs after the play off disappointment. His input was limited, he probably did just what his manager wanted, a very restricted role i m o. I suspect his 'good reputation' was very much the result of him playing in that very good Lincoln team.
     I was surprised to say the least when we signed him, perhaps he was the best available from a poor lot, or; as I said above, all we could afford.
    How many games does it take to judge a player ?. Usually as far as I am concerned it takes just a few to make a judgement. Many players are superb at one club playing a specific role only to find when they move, they are a fish stranded well out of the water (Charlie Kirk ?)
    He was not very good, but was tough and got stuck in and did exactly what the manager wanted?

How can he not be very good but also do exactly what the manager wanted?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    As you said Lincs
    A very good Lincoln team with good loanees and yet.............. 
    Mcgrandles was still appointed captain.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Manager Dean Holden said: “It’s a good loan for Conor who, through no fault of his own, has had some freak injuries this season. He's had to come back from them and he's had limited game time. He’s told me that when he's played he’s not performed at the level he would like to.
    I am far from clear quite how the level of noise ratio to number of appearances here is appropriate. The player statistics with us have surely been done to death. 

I could list chapter & verse on McGrandles, his time with the club, where & why he is in the position he is. However, as indicated elsewhere, the entire squad is subject to the evaluation of a new coach/ manager, 2 months and 14 fixtures into his reign. He will likely position over the coming weeks everyone’s long term participation in our future.

McGrandles, by happen stance, is known to Mr Appleton.

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2020/july/200727-conor-mcgrandles

He, from 12.9.2020 - 30.4.22, selected McGrandles to feature for 78 Matchday Squads in League 1.

The player joined us on July 1, 2022.

I will thus defer to Mr Appletons’ decision as to whether the player can contribute to his plans for the club going forward.

I hope that is OK.
  • Options
    Manager Dean Holden said: “It’s a good loan for Conor who, through no fault of his own, has had some freak injuries this season. He's had to come back from them and he's had limited game time. He’s told me that when he's played he’s not performed at the level he would like to.
    I am far from clear quite how the level of noise ratio to number of appearances here is appropriate. The player statistics with us have surely been done to death. 

I could list chapter & verse on McGrandles, his time with the club, where & why he is in the position he is. However, as indicated elsewhere, the entire squad is subject to the evaluation of a new coach/ manager, 2 months and 14 fixtures into his reign. He will likely position over the coming weeks everyone’s long term participation in our future.

McGrandles, by happen stance, is known to Mr Appleton.

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2020/july/200727-conor-mcgrandles

He, from 12.9.2020 - 30.4.22, selected McGrandles to feature for 78 Matchday Squads in League 1.

The player joined us on July 1, 2022.

I will thus defer to Mr Appletons’ decision as to whether the player can contribute to his plans for the club going forward.

I hope that is OK.
    Of course it’s OK, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Firstly, if McG has been getting stick and abuse on social, then that’s out of order. Those that abuse on line are the worst type of bully. I have a little bit of insight of the game at a much lower level of the pro game, where the players get counselling over social media. It’s common for players to say it’s water off a ducks back because that’s what you do, but those players suffer. God knows what it must be like as you move up the pyramid.

Secondly, let’s be clear, to have the career that he has had (and is having) means he is an exceptional footballer - the type that would have waltzed around every one of us in the playground and down the park, and who you instinctively knew would “make it”.

However, I look at Conor in the same way as many on here looked at Sean Clare last season. I thought he was an asset, but many on here were clear that he wasn’t at the level needed if we were to genuinely challenge to get out of this league. 

• Options
    He’s still shit, cheers
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I like the look of him. Reckon once he settles into a run of games he’ll be a classy breaker up of play. 
  • Options
    He'd get in my team ahead of Fraser.
  • Options
    The team has been short of leaders and McGrandles is one of those. A midfield trio of Dobson, Watson and McGrandles is right up there in this division. None of those three go missing, they each have good heads, decent distribution, would provide control and hopefully a good few legendary 'clean sheet wins'.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    just not good enough

You could say the same about Dobson, great player for us but we're not exactly tearing this league apart.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    just not good enough

Hughes was proven but wasn’t signed to be a starter - he was well over 30. I doubt many of us will remember reeves’ contribution to the 2018-19 season in 20 years (maybe Leuth).  There is only one sensible viewpoint here - McGrandles might turn out to be useful but all we’ve really seen so far is two performances against tier 8 and a goal against Pompey that would have been saved more often than not (although I’m delighted he did it).  Let’s hope he gets an injury free spell and he can challenge Watson to partner Dobbo.  
    That was the point I was trying to make. It doesn’t matter if McGrandles was signed to be a regular starter, he’s now a squad player and as we’ve seen in previous promotion winning seasons there is a place for players like that.

I don’t think we’ve got a single defender we could confidently say will be consistent in the Championship if they were playing there now.

That’s holding us back more than whether McGrandles is good enough to be 4th, 5th or 6th choice CM.