Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    Slap a 30 million quid price tag on him, and say

'If you want him , come and get him'.

Can't afford him? Piss off then. He's under contract anyway. Come back when you've changed your minds.

Di Canio accused us of a small club mentality and he was right.

If only the owner had the balls to match his music.
  • Options
    Potential alternative or replacement on loan from Palace? 6 ft 4 so passes the height test.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Several fantasy posts on here.

He'll never go to Millwall, at least not directly, as they won't pay the money and his family and hopefully he knows better than that.

However even if we got £5m for him it would be a miracle, he's not worth anything like £10m+
    He is to us, because we don't want to sell him. So i'd hope it will take a silly bid to force us to sell.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Several fantasy posts on here.

He'll never go to Millwall, at least not directly, as they won't pay the money and his family and hopefully he knows better than that.

However even if we got £5m for him it would be a miracle, he's not worth anything like £10m+

£5M a miracle..

Dwight Gayle £4.5M from L1 10yrs ago.
    Brit Assombalonga £5-8M from L1 8yr ago
    Nick Powell from L1 for £6.5M 10yrs ago
    Ademola Lookman from L1 for £8M 6yrs ago
    Fabian Delph for £8M 12yrs ago

Since the above, BREXIT has meant English players are more sort after and prices played for players has increased exponentially.

If he doesn't have a clause in his contract we should not accept a penny less than £8M plus hefty sell on clause.

Players with Miles physique, speed, skill and technique are unbelievably rare.  For me has ceiling his huge.  He is 19, given his size he won't mature until he is 21 I reckon and at that point he will become an absolute beast.

How many of those players were bought for that amount up front? And factor in rate of inflation for players nowadays, 12 years ago £8m is more like 15m in today's market

No-one will offer us over £5m for him this summer
  • Options
    Keep hold for another year and then sell for £20m+
  • Options
    Keep hold for another year and then sell for £20m+
    Assuming he progresses, otherwise, we could totally revamp the squad to a promotion standard next season
  • Options
    Well Derek Hales started it coming from Luton in 1972? No better goal scorer for Charlton
    Killer , Killer.
    And, of course, just down the road from Luton, Barry Endean came from Watford.
  • Options

Can't afford him? Piss off then. He's under contract anyway. Come back when you've changed your minds.

Except that his music's crap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    follett said:
    We always overvalue our players as fans. £5mill might be a drop in the ocean for a prem club but for us it's a lot and they know that so they have all the negotiating power.

Scott Twine scored 20 goals from midfield last season and went for £2m. Granted he's a couple of years older which may work in Miles' favour but we won't be able to turn down much more unless the new ownership has serious wealth and ambition.
    Forwards are always overvalued - he has potential but needs to play at Championship level to prove his worth. His value is based on potential- hopefully he will progress.

• Options
    follett said:
    We always overvalue our players as fans. £5mill might be a drop in the ocean for a prem club but for us it's a lot and they know that so they have all the negotiating power.

Scott Twine scored 20 goals from midfield last season and went for £2m. Granted he's a couple of years older which may work in Miles' favour but we won't be able to turn down much more unless the new ownership has serious wealth and ambition.
    I don’t think £5M is unreasonable:

Young
    English (it’s not as easy to sign non-capped youngsters from overseas now)
    Striker 
    Scored double figures in his fist season in first team football 

He’s pretty much the most valuable commodity you can produce from your academy.

The thing that will drive the price is if there is interest from a number of parties with deep pockets. 

• Options
    edited April 2023
    He has a lot of development to do still and he would be best focusing on doing that in a place where he is comfortable and knows he will be picked. His parents understand that. He needs to be a bit sharper in front of goal, win more aerial battles accross the pitch, use his physical advantages more, and learn how to get behind the last man. These are just some things and are not downers as I expect him to improve, they are simply what he has to focus on before money if he wants a great career. Something which I strongly believe is within his grasp.
  • Options
    Not as good as Lookman, better than Bonne. 

Fee will be somewhere between the two. 
  • Options
    I love him to bits but think leaburn is far from the finished article and ideally he wouldn’t have been anything like as involved for us this season, and with a half decent owner would still only want him as 3rd choice forward next season tbh(he’s way below kermogant, bwp, grant and Taylor) but he’s also miles better than burstow so surely the 2m we got for him is the absolute minimum 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think this is the very minimum we should expect.
    Assuming it is Aston Villa.
    They pay £15 million up front, with a 25% sell on, and loan Miles back for a season. Aston Villa agree to play a pre season match at the Valley at their expense, where in the first half Miles plays for them and Konsa plays for us, and they swap over at half time (symbolically signalling the Leaburn loan).

The 15 million to be used thus:

£6 million to mitigate next seasons losses.
    £1 million to help pay up the contracts of the duds and release them.
    £1 million to upgrade the Valley playing surface in the summer.
    £1 million for repairs and improvements at the Valley.
    £3 million to be spent on better players.
    £2 million for the academy.
    £1 million for contingencies.

This is the absolute least I would want from any sale of Miles Leaburn, cheap at the price.
    Brace yourself for disappointment 
  • Options
    Leaburn going to sort Villa out.

He could turn into a good player for Charlton given time.
  • Options
    I’m not convinced like others he’s going to be prem quality , too early to say and we obviously have plenty who bid up anyone who even wears  a Charlton bib as the greatest dribbler in the world .
    Deffo decent Championship level potential but he’s a work in progress .
    exactly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As in shit balls? 
  • Options
    No, I mean the music style has balls even if you don't like it.
    It's in the attitude of the music. Just take the lyrics - they're saying that we will succeed, that we're going to fight.

I'd like us to finally fight properly to keep a young player and to do this you need to take such a bullish attitude.

When will ever be better to start than now with a player whose parents love the club?

We need to find a way around this attitude of accepting meekly that 'you have to let him go' and 'he'll be set up financially.' If he's of value, determine what he'll be worth in two years and get some bloody good insurance for him in case of a life threatening injury. Then offer him a better contract, a viable plan for promotion, and persuade him to stay.

We have to get back to being one of the clubs above, not allowing the very blood to be sucked out of us all the time.

'The time's to do or die'. Mean it m*****f****r.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Thinking outside the box. Why not loan him to a team in the Championship, with a mid season break clause. that can showcase him. If he performs, he'll increase in value more than he would at Charlton. If he doesn't cut it, bring him back. That way he remains our player and we decide if he is sold, when and at what price.

If one player makes or breaks a season, we aren't going up next season either. 
  • Options
    not many players with his attributes around so when we eventually sell him i do think there's a good chance of a reasonable fee (contract length dependent etc)
  • Options
    Thinking outside the box. Why not loan him to a team in the Championship, with a mid season break clause. that can showcase him. If he performs, he'll increase in value more than he would at Charlton. If he doesn't cut it, bring him back. That way he remains our player and we decide if he is sold, when and at what price.

If one player makes or breaks a season, we aren't going up next season either. 
    Why not? Because our main aim should always be success on the pitch. That would be prioritising profit from player sales and being a feeder club for the higher divisions.

A good striker can easily make or break a season. Replace Yann or Taylor with a Paul Hayes level player and we probably wouldn’t have gone up under Powell and Bowyer.
  • Options
    Didn't we get £15m for Karlan Grant based on half a good season in league 1 in a great team? Yet we're saying £5m maximum for a striker who has played in a much worse side and similar amount of goals with less amount of starts is the top end we'll get? 

If he goes it's got to be around the £10m mark at least with add ons! 

Think you might be getting transfers mixed up. Huddersfield sold him to West Brom for 15m.

https://talksport.com/football/484773/charlton-striker-karlan-grant-huddersfield-undisclosed-fee/

"Jan 30, 2019 — Charlton striker Karlan Grant has joined Huddersfield Town for an undisclosed fee believed to be in the region of £2million."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/12105141/karlan-grant-west-brom-complete-signing-of-striker-from-huddersfield-on-six-year-deal

"Oct 15, 2020 — Sky Sports News reported on Wednesday the two clubs had agreed a fee worth around £15m, bringing an end to negotiations which had been ..."

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    As I have said before he is highly sought after - both here and abroad.  His qualities are actually exceptionally rare these days and this has been acknowledged

Importsntly Miles is n ot obsessed with money abd is learning every day. As long as we show a bit of ambition there is NO REASON he will be off at the first opportunity.

As for a valuation it should be £5m at an absolute minimum - but for potential even £10m is a relatively low risk investment for a monied club

One thing is for sure - he's not likely to be heading to Chelsea

Doesn't fancy his chances of dislodging Burstow from 105th choice Chelsea striker in the squad? 😃
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    As I have said before he is highly sought after - both here and abroad.  His qualities are actually exceptionally rare these days and this has been acknowledged

Importsntly Miles is n ot obsessed with money abd is learning every day. As long as we show a bit of ambition there is NO REASON he will be off at the first opportunity.

As for a valuation it should be £5m at an absolute minimum - but for potential even £10m is a relatively low risk investment for a monied clubs 

One thing is for sure - he's not likely to be heading to Chelsea
    You no doubt will have had conversations with the Leaburn family over periods of time.
    However, people may not be money motivated as individuals, I get that, but when signing a piece of paper which is life changing overnight then I cannot blame people for having their head turned.
    Good luck to the man if this happens.