Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    I love him to bits but think leaburn is far from the finished article and ideally he wouldn’t have been anything like as involved for us this season, and with a half decent owner would still only want him as 3rd choice forward next season tbh(he’s way below kermogant, bwp, grant and Taylor) but he’s also miles better than burstow so surely the 2m we got for him is the absolute minimum 
    He’s not the finished article of course, but I think you are underrating him a fair bit. He has developed a lot this season and will continue to do so throughout next season. 11 goals in not that many minutes in only his first year of senior football. If he can stay fit (a big if) then I could easily see him scoring 25 goals next season and being as important/impactful as Yann & Taylor were 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    As I have said before he is highly sought after - both here and abroad.  His qualities are actually exceptionally rare these days and this has been acknowledged

Importsntly Miles is n ot obsessed with money abd is learning every day. As long as we show a bit of ambition there is NO REASON he will be off at the first opportunity.

As for a valuation it should be £5m at an absolute minimum - but for potential even £10m is a relatively low risk investment for a monied clubs 

One thing is for sure - he's not likely to be heading to Chelsea
    You no doubt will have had conversations with the Leaburn family over periods of time.
    However, people may not be money motivated as individuals, I get that, but when signing a piece of paper which is life changing overnight then I cannot blame people for having their head turned.
    Good luck to the man if this happens.
    Carl will know exactly what having a mega bucks contract can mean to his sons life both now and in securing his long term future. Yes it’s important for Miles to get games and continue his footballing education but that won’t stop just because he’s left the nest and signs for a wealthier club than Charlton. I’ve no idea what money Miles is currently on at The Valley but if a PL club comes calling, the boy can probably have the means to buy his first home and secure his future and that of partner and children when the time comes. A footballer is only one unfortunate injury away from it all disappearing. When the offer comes in then he’s a fool to knock it back. Good luck to the boy too. 
    Players in this position I have zero problems with in securing themselves for life.
    It is when a player is on 300k etc and moves for another 50k I get p***** off.
    I give you Gareth Bale as the biggest mercenary of the lot.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    As I have said before he is highly sought after - both here and abroad.  His qualities are actually exceptionally rare these days and this has been acknowledged

Importsntly Miles is n ot obsessed with money abd is learning every day. As long as we show a bit of ambition there is NO REASON he will be off at the first opportunity.

As for a valuation it should be £5m at an absolute minimum - but for potential even £10m is a relatively low risk investment for a monied clubs 

You no doubt will have had conversations with the Leaburn family over periods of time.
    However, people may not be money motivated as individuals, I get that, but when signing a piece of paper which is life changing overnight then I cannot blame people for having their head turned.
    Carl will know exactly what having a mega bucks contract can mean to his sons life both now and in securing his long term future. Yes it’s important for Miles to get games and continue his footballing education but that won’t stop just because he’s left the nest and signs for a wealthier club than Charlton. I’ve no idea what money Miles is currently on at The Valley but if a PL club comes calling, the boy can probably have the means to buy his first home and secure his future and that of partner and children when the time comes. A footballer is only one unfortunate injury away from it all disappearing. When the offer comes in then he’s a fool to knock it back. Good luck to the boy too. 
    Players in this position I have zero problems with in securing themselves for life.
    Is it mercenary though ? For 99% of footballers it’s a job. Sure they love it. Some are not really even football fans. If clubs are able and want to offer what we regard as stupid money (and I certainly do) then can we really blame young men for taking what they can. I know it’s not the same but  I’ve never ever felt a loyalty to a job that would hold me there if a better opportunity came along. I doubt anyone posting here has either. Clubs are fairly brutal in how they deal with players when it suits so I don’t see where a football fans club loyalties transpose onto a footballer. The money sloshing around in football is I think killing many of the things that have to me always made football something different from any other sport but I don’t blame any footballer following the money. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I love him to bits but think leaburn is far from the finished article and ideally he wouldn’t have been anything like as involved for us this season, and with a half decent owner would still only want him as 3rd choice forward next season tbh(he’s way below kermogant, bwp, grant and Taylor) but he’s also miles better than burstow so surely the 2m we got for him is the absolute minimum 
    He’s not the finished article of course, but I think you are underrating him a fair bit. He has developed a lot this season and will continue to do so throughout next season. 11 goals in not that many minutes in only his first year of senior football. If he can stay fit (a big if) then I could easily see him scoring 25 goals next season and being as important/impactful as Yann & Taylor were 
    I agree it’s possible as he’s developing and I could see him being much better next year. But the point I made stands. Based on his performances THIS season, he is not at (or actually even really near) the level of Yann or Taylor, or grant or BWP, yet, so I wouldn’t be keen on us relying on him to be at that level next season. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I agree it’s possible as he’s developing and I could see him being much better next year. But the point I made stands. Based on his performances THIS season, he is not at (or actually even really near) the level of Yann or Taylor, or grant or BWP, yet, so I wouldn’t be keen on us relying on him to be at that level next season. 

Leaburn playing a level above now .. 
  • Options
    I can’t believe anyone thinks he’s only worth £5m in today’s market. A stable club would be asking for £15m but I don’t hold out much hope for whoever owns us cashing in at the first offer.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    I can’t believe anyone thinks he’s only worth £5m in today’s market. A stable club would be asking for £15m but I don’t hold out much hope for whoever owns us cashing in at the first offer.
    I think £5 million would be top end if there were several PL clubs involved in bidding but £15 million is beyond fantasy
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    NabySarr said:
    I think relying is a risk, but he could well be better than all those named. He has improved a lot and seems to be an intelligent lad. He really needs to focus on that with no distractions IMO. And this isn't with a Charlton bias. He is in a great position for next season in terms of kicking on and if he does the money will follow.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    I think £5 million would be top end if there were several PL clubs involved in bidding but £15 million is beyond fantasy
    Not for a 19 year old with his attributes it’s not in the current market . Plenty of PL clubs would consider taking a punt for £10m+. £5m 10 years ago perhaps. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smithy said:
    I can't believe that there won't be a long queue of potential suitors.
    A better run club could possibly achieve the higher figure, but I doubt if this one will.
  • Options
    Hopefully with the amount scouts apparently watching him at least attendance might be boosted a bit
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Smithy said:
    Not for a 19 year old with his attributes it’s not in the current market . Plenty of PL clubs would consider taking a punt for £10m+. £5m 10 years ago perhaps. 
    I'm with you on this. He is worth what teams want to pay. It hasn't been reported that leaburn is for sale or refusing to play so why put a low valuation on him. £15m take it or leave it. 

People saying £5m is fair, based on what? 
  • Options
    If he goes, he goes. 

Painful but Football.
  • Options
    Whilst I don’t think getting 15m for him is feasible, people saying 2-3m are off their heads - we got 2m for Bonne ffs. 8-10m + a sell on fee seems fair to me, but then again, I know fuck all.
  • Options
    If other clubs offer £5 million I’d say no way.
    Especially a Premier League club, they have loads sloshing about and £15-20 million from one of them is at least a way of drip feeding some money down the league.
  • Options
    I could see how a bid from Palace with a Miles and Rak-Sakyi loan back might be attractive.
  • Options
    I could see how a bid from Palace with a Miles and Rak-Sakyi loan back might be attractive.
    No chance Rak-Sakyi plays league 1 football next season. Assuming (and hoping) Millwall don’t go up, I can see him going on loan there.
  • Options
    Be very disappointed if he went somewhere like Villa at this stage.

Reckon he's got another season at Lge 1 level and could then go to a better club, on a better deal for himself and earn Charlton a few extra £mill in the process, assuming he improves on the same trajectory. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Is it mercenary though ? For 99% of footballers it’s a job. Sure they love it. Some are not really even football fans. If clubs are able and want to offer what we regard as stupid money (and I certainly do) then can we really blame young men for taking what they can. I know it’s not the same but  I’ve never ever felt a loyalty to a job that would hold me there if a better opportunity came along. I doubt anyone posting here has either. Clubs are fairly brutal in how they deal with players when it suits so I don’t see where a football fans club loyalties transpose onto a footballer. The money sloshing around in football is I think killing many of the things that have to me always made football something different from any other sport but I don’t blame any footballer following the money. 
    I'll give you it is a two way thing.
    Take Neymar for instance.
    He went from Brazil to Barcelona, okay he was given a pay increase but he moved to a country with a very similar climate, and he would be able to speak Spanish so there is not a language barrier.
    Then he goes over to France where the weather and culture are very different.  I'm having a very good guess that he does not speak french(of course he may learn it).
    He has no doubt prepared himself for all the lifestyle changes to move to France because of money.   He is an incredibly wealthy man as it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he does not have an agent I suggest he gets one lively to allow him the best possible contract.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Didn't look happy today. Can't see him wanting to spend another season in this division and don't necessarily think that it would help him. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Swisdom said:

I'll give you it is a two way thing.
    Take Neymar for instance.
    He went from Brazil to Barcelona, okay he was given a pay increase but he moved to a country with a very similar climate, and he would be able to speak Spanish so there is not a language barrier.
    Then he goes over to France where the weather and culture are very different.  I'm having a very good guess that he does not speak french(of course he may learn it).
    He has no doubt prepared himself for all the lifestyle changes to move to France because of money.   He is an incredibly wealthy man as it is.
    They speak Portuguese in Brazil. New challenge, new culture, new experiences. More money. Why on earth would you consider him greedy ? I certainly think he’s nailed it for all of those reasons.
  • Options
    very torn about letting Leaburn go .. I've made comments about asking £50 Million for him .. IF (SAY) we could get £5/6 Million, and I am dubious we'd get that t b h, that kind of money could be the key to a decent squad rebuild .. However, two stumbling blocks .. would Sandy pocket the cash to offset his losses or two is our 'talent spotting/scouting team' capable of finding relevant talent

Just a word about Lincoln City who have a first season Irish manager, Mark Kennedy, who has worked for Lee Bowyer at Brum .
    He has signed a number of young Irish players, and a couple of Scots, as well as picking up talent from the National Leagues .. proof perhaps, that all emerging talent is not to be found in Southern Europe, South America or Africa .. NOT to say of course that the current Lincoln squad is bound for the Premier any time soon  B)

• Options
    On his current performances, there is no worry of him being poached away in the summer. I would say most teams will want to see if he improves his performances and consistency 
    next season.
  • Options
    I think he is very raw still. Some good and some not so good performances. Talk of £5m plus is wishful thinking at this stage 
  • Options
    Didn't look happy today. Can't see him wanting to spend another season in this division and don't necessarily think that it would help him. 
    Nobody looked like they could be arsed today to be fair 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Nobody looked like they could be arsed today to be fair 
    Don't think that it was a case of not being arsed, it looked more like frustration with his team-mates.
  • Options
    On his way out and I wouldn’t blame him. Now the question is where England or the continent. My money would be contingent Germany or Holland , you can laugh but it has helped some of the English youngsters to learn the trade better. I disagree with it but feel this is the way ahead for him.

Just do what is best for yourself Miles.
  • Options
    Good luck to him but doubt any money we get for him will be invested in the squad.