Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    Any scouts there today won't have been impressed...
  • Options
    I think he has the raw materials but hasn't grown into his body yet fully. That may help us keep him.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    As I have said before he is highly sought after - both here and abroad.  His qualities are actually exceptionally rare these days and this has been acknowledged

Importsntly Miles is n ot obsessed with money abd is learning every day. As long as we show a bit of ambition there is NO REASON he will be off at the first opportunity.

As for a valuation it should be £5m at an absolute minimum - but for potential even £10m is a relatively low risk investment for a monied clubs 

One thing is for sure - he's not likely to be heading to Chelsea
    You no doubt will have had conversations with the Leaburn family over periods of time.
    However, people may not be money motivated as individuals, I get that, but when signing a piece of paper which is life changing overnight then I cannot blame people for having their head turned.
    Good luck to the man if this happens.
    Carl will know exactly what having a mega bucks contract can mean to his sons life both now and in securing his long term future. Yes it’s important for Miles to get games and continue his footballing education but that won’t stop just because he’s left the nest and signs for a wealthier club than Charlton. I’ve no idea what money Miles is currently on at The Valley but if a PL club comes calling, the boy can probably have the means to buy his first home and secure his future and that of partner and children when the time comes. A footballer is only one unfortunate injury away from it all disappearing. When the offer comes in then he’s a fool to knock it back. Good luck to the boy too. 
    Players in this position I have zero problems with in securing themselves for life.
    It is when a player is on 300k etc and moves for another 50k I get p***** off.
    I give you Gareth Bale as the biggest mercenary of the lot.
    Is it mercenary though ? For 99% of footballers it’s a job. Sure they love it. Some are not really even football fans. If clubs are able and want to offer what we regard as stupid money (and I certainly do) then can we really blame young men for taking what they can. I know it’s not the same but  I’ve never ever felt a loyalty to a job that would hold me there if a better opportunity came along. I doubt anyone posting here has either. Clubs are fairly brutal in how they deal with players when it suits so I don’t see where a football fans club loyalties transpose onto a footballer. The money sloshing around in football is I think killing many of the things that have to me always made football something different from any other sport but I don’t blame any footballer following the money. 
    I'll give you it is a two way thing.
    Take Neymar for instance.
    He went from Brazil to Barcelona, okay he was given a pay increase but he moved to a country with a very similar climate, and he would be able to speak Spanish so there is not a language barrier.
    Then he goes over to France where the weather and culture are very different.  I'm having a very good guess that he does not speak french(of course he may learn it).
    He has no doubt prepared himself for all the lifestyle changes to move to France because of money.   He is an incredibly wealthy man as it is.
    They speak Portuguese in Brazil. New challenge, new culture, new experiences. More money. Why on earth would you consider him greedy ? I certainly think he’s nailed it for all of those reasons.
    Lost me there on that one.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    As I have said before he is highly sought after - both here and abroad.  His qualities are actually exceptionally rare these days and this has been acknowledged

Importsntly Miles is n ot obsessed with money abd is learning every day. As long as we show a bit of ambition there is NO REASON he will be off at the first opportunity.

As for a valuation it should be £5m at an absolute minimum - but for potential even £10m is a relatively low risk investment for a monied clubs 

You no doubt will have had conversations with the Leaburn family over periods of time.
    However, people may not be money motivated as individuals, I get that, but when signing a piece of paper which is life changing overnight then I cannot blame people for having their head turned.
    Carl will know exactly what having a mega bucks contract can mean to his sons life both now and in securing his long term future. Yes it’s important for Miles to get games and continue his footballing education but that won’t stop just because he’s left the nest and signs for a wealthier club than Charlton. I’ve no idea what money Miles is currently on at The Valley but if a PL club comes calling, the boy can probably have the means to buy his first home and secure his future and that of partner and children when the time comes. A footballer is only one unfortunate injury away from it all disappearing. When the offer comes in then he’s a fool to knock it back. Good luck to the boy too. 
    Players in this position I have zero problems with in securing themselves for life.
    Is it mercenary though ? For 99% of footballers it’s a job. Sure they love it. Some are not really even football fans. If clubs are able and want to offer what we regard as stupid money (and I certainly do) then can we really blame young men for taking what they can. I know it’s not the same but  I’ve never ever felt a loyalty to a job that would hold me there if a better opportunity came along. I doubt anyone posting here has either. Clubs are fairly brutal in how they deal with players when it suits so I don’t see where a football fans club loyalties transpose onto a footballer. The money sloshing around in football is I think killing many of the things that have to me always made football something different from any other sport but I don’t blame any footballer following the money. 
    He went from Brazil to Barcelona, okay he was given a pay increase but he moved to a country with a very similar climate, and he would be able to speak Spanish so there is not a language barrier.
    Then he goes over to France where the weather and culture are very different.  I'm having a very good guess that he does not speak french(of course he may learn it).
    He has no doubt prepared himself for all the lifestyle changes to move to France because of money.   He is an incredibly wealthy man as it is.
    They speak Portuguese in Brazil. New challenge, new culture, new experiences. More money. Why on earth would you consider him greedy ? I certainly think he’s nailed it for all of those reasons.
    Sorry. You gave an example of Neymar from Brazil to Barca, citing he would be able to speak Spanish. I mentioned that in Brazil they speak Portuguese. Why do you assume he’d speak Spanish. The rest of my post questioned why he wouldn’t want or need to move on from Spain to France. For the reasons I suggested. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Swisdom said:

Sorry. You gave an example of Neymar from Brazil to Barca, citing he would be able to speak Spanish. I mentioned that in Brazil they speak Portuguese. Why do you assume he’d speak Spanish. The rest of my post questioned why he wouldn’t want or need to move on from Spain to France. For the reasons I suggested. 
    Aha, Brazilians in the main, will speak Spanish, so there would/should be no language barrier.
  • Options
    On balance, I could be doing players a disservice in that they want to experience different cultures, but I will always be of the opinion that money talks.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Swisdom said:

Aha, Brazilians in the main, will speak Spanish, so there would/should be no language barrier.
    Brazilians would in the main speak Spanish why ? The national language is Portuguese. Anyway it hardly matters.
    Edit : Neymar speaks fluent Spanish apparently. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Swisdom said:

Brazilians would in the main speak Spanish why ? The national language is Portuguese. Anyway it hardly matters.
    Edit : Neymar speaks fluent Spanish apparently. 
    I now live here and have spent extensive time here prior to moving.

• Options
    Anyway, back to Leaburn.
    Good luck to the fella if his bank balance erupts after the 1st June.
  • Options
    If he was to go to Villa would be a great move for him, club that can certainly push for top 6 consistently and would have a good chance of playing as well. 

I think he will go this summer, can't see how we would turn down anything north of 5 million no matter who owns the club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I could see Brentford making a move for him, with the view to him being in their first team within a couple of years. 

As Brentford are going to have an under *21 team next season that could be a good shout.
    Miles lack of pace means he will have to anticipate better and get stronger to be a Premier player but he is young and this is his first season in Men's football.

*I believe it's starting from next season.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    If he was to go to Villa would be a great move for him, club that can certainly push for top 6 consistently and would have a good chance of playing as well. 

I think he will go this summer, can't see how we would turn down anything north of 5 million no matter who owns the club. 
    At best he would be third choice at Villa, when they get their loans back possibly forth 
  • Options
    I think he has the raw materials but hasn't grown into his body yet fully. That may help us keep him.
    I think this is true. He's still very raw, he hasn't developed the strength or the nous to dominate the front line and hasn't got the pace to play as a wide attacker. He has some skills but doesn't really know when or how to fully deploy them. Many games he makes very little impact and his decent goal return is pleasingly opportunistic, with good positioning but the goals are slightly covering up his lack of impact across the 90 minutes. There's a lot of developing to do and one day he could become a real presence up top but for now he needs another season at L1 level to progress. I think a move would be a huge mistake for him at this stage of his career.
  • Options
    I think this is true. He's still very raw, he hasn't developed the strength or the nous to dominate the front line and hasn't got the pace to play as a wide attacker. He has some skills but doesn't really know when or how to fully deploy them. Many games he makes very little impact and his decent goal return is pleasingly opportunistic, with good positioning but the goals are slightly covering up his lack of impact across the 90 minutes. There's a lot of developing to do and one day he could become a real presence up top but for now he needs another season at L1 level to progress. I think a move would be a huge mistake for him at this stage of his career.
    I think you are probably wrong on every count.
  • Options
    Good luck to him but doubt any money we get for him will be invested in the squad. 
    It will be used to pay off some of our dept as usual but like you say good luck to him hope he ends up playing top level football 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

At best he would be third choice at Villa, when they get their loans back possibly forth 
    No way would Villa want Leaburn in their first team squad next season, barring emergencies. Cameron Archer, who's 2 years older than Miles and who has England U21 caps, barely played in the first half of the season before a successful loan spell at Boro
    100%
  • Options

I take it that you do not scout for Villa.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QvisN2Awb4&t=33s

Every Miles Leaburn goal in 2022/23

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could see him at Luton now they've gone up, perfect project and worst case scenario he'll be championship ready for the 24-25 season. 
  • Options
    it's almost like sticking a 'for sale' sign on his head
  • Options
    Another house analogy, right move!
  • Options
    Correct. Make no mistake that’s what will happen,before Charlton kick off next season.
  • Options
    Leaburn will stay this season I think.
  • Options
    Is that the new sales brochure? 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Would love to see Miles here next season, but really... we will get one of those "silly offers", just hope we can loan him back should that happen...🤞
  • Options
    I am not sure loan backs are a good idea.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I am not sure loan backs are a good idea.
    Just straw clutching really, we can't afford to loose him...