Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    I like Miles but honestly if someone offered us 5m plus incentives for him id snap there hand off. He was a bright spark in relatively mundane season, looks like he will have a future in the game at a higher level but sometimes our fans fall in to a praise as if he is the 2nd coming of Wayne Rooney which is (imo) a bit unfair on the lad as it creates unhelpful expectations on him.
    I think that's an overly negative assessment of his season, he was much more than a bright spark. He started the season as an 18 year old who not only had never played for Charlton before but hadn't played men's football before. He proceeded to score 12 league goals and get two assists in 35 games. He had a bad injury within that and wasn't a starter from the beginning. He only played 1,816 minutes (less than half of the available minutes) and scored a goal every 151 minutes, more regularly than a goal every two full games. Add in his assists and he's involved in a goal every 130 minutes. Sam Smith, a striker people want us to sign, scored 13 goals across 45 appearances. 3,677 minutes so a goal every 283 minutes. Cole Stockton, the man who invented football, scored 11 in 39. 2,720 minutes, a goal every 247 minutes (and he had only scored 4 goals by mid-April).
    He did all that as a novice while playing in a fairly poor team. Not just that, he was able to adapt and contribute in a way that Stockley and Bonne weren't, so it's not like any striker could have just slotted into that team and scored goals. I don't think anyone has ever praised Leaburn as the second coming of Rooney, but it's right to be excited about a player who in his first season has provided an incredibly strong goals per minute return. £5m wouldn't get near it.
    No of course no one has litterally called him the second Wayne Rooney that just my attempt to capture the hyperbole SOME fans are prone to. I dont think its negative at all tbh, as said he did well and looks like a player who will have a career at a higher level, also as said i like him. Maybe i could praise him for his clear mental abilities to handle the pressure that was put on him, though the pessimist in me says maybe there was a lack of expectations but none the less he did brilliant for himself this season.

So my point about 5million plus incentives isnt regarding a comparison to Stockley and Bonne, we dont need those comparisons because of course we all know Leaburn was better this season than both of them. Also thats kind of my point you make comparisons to Smith and Stockton both strikers for teams that were relegated or flirting with relegation. An honest question (and in no way an insult to you Leaburn) do you believe Leaburn would have started for Plymouth, Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday ? Or Bolton for that matter. None of this is a criticism of Leaburn as i believe he has what it takes to play PL or championship football in future (possibly he could play championship now) but more a point that we have so many problems over the pitch if someone offered 5million plus other incentives id rather we take it use it to create a more robust team.
    To be honest, the only hyperbole I've really seen on Leaburn has come from you up there. I don't think people overreact to him, as I've laid out he's done incredibly well for a player of his age and experience. Despite that there's still plenty of debate about whether he is good enough to play at Premier League level. Hardly being tipped for ridiculous glory.
    I wasn't linking the £5m to Stockley and Bonne, I was pointing out with them that it's not like we were so brilliantly creative that any striker could do what Leaburn did; others failed. I also used Smith and Stockton as examples because they're strikers we've been linked with on here.
    I don't know if Leaburn would have started for those teams; he doesn't play for them, we'll never know. Plymouth are an interesting example though. Won the league with 101 points, they generally played one up front and had three first team strikers. You wouldn't call any of them massively prolific though; Hardie played 44 scored 13 (2,412 mins), Niall Ennis played 38 scored 12 (1,838 mins) and Sam Cosgrove played 33 scored 8 (1,307 mins). Hardie scored one more than Leaburn but did it in 596 more minutes. Ennis's goal/minutes record is almost identical and Miles played 500 more minutes than Cosgrave but scored 4 more goals. So actually Leaburn's output was completely comparable to any of the strikers that were employed to win Plymouth the league this season.
    In second Ipswich were goal machines. Conor Chaplin a ridiculous P45/G26/3,341 mins and Freddie Ladapo P46/G17/2,173 mins. These players though are 26 and 30 years old; no PL team is going to be perking up at hearing those tallies. Chaplin scored more than a quarter of his career league goals this one season.
    As for Weds, our old mate Michael Smith (31) P39/G16/2,918 mins and grandpa Lee Gregory (34) P38/G10/2,358 mins led their charts up front. Josh Windass (29) played a lot of positions across the attack but P34/G11/2,485 mins. Callum Paterson (28) P25/G5/1,363 mins. We'll never know if Miles would have started for these teams but with the exception of a freak season from Chaplin, Leaburn's scoring record is comparable or better in terms of goals scored against minutes played to the strikers the top 3 used to get promoted. Of all those players listed the youngest is 24. If you check out what all these players were doing at Miles's age it doesn't make for great reading. In fact, Michael Smith was busy not getting a minute for our L1 team. I think any one of those top three teams would have been beside themselves to have him in their squad, and he likely would have been far better supplied and less likely to be crippled for a portion of the season.
    You'd be nuts to hoik him out for such a low fee based on what he's produced this season. You don't need £5m to build a team to get out of L1 but you do need to keep your bestGarrymanilow said:
    I like Miles but honestly if someone offered us 5m plus incentives for him id snap there hand off. He was a bright spark in relatively mundane season, looks like he will have a future in the game at a higher level but sometimes our fans fall in to a praise as if he is the 2nd coming of Wayne Rooney which is (imo) a bit unfair on the lad as it creates unhelpful expectations on him.
    I think that's an overly negative assessment of his season, he was much more than a bright spark. He started the season as an 18 year old who not only had never played for Charlton before but hadn't played men's football before. He proceeded to score 12 league goals and get two assists in 35 games. He had a bad injury within that and wasn't a starter from the beginning. He only played 1,816 minutes (less than half of the available minutes) and scored a goal every 151 minutes, more regularly than a goal every two full games. Add in his assists and he's involved in a goal every 130 minutes. Sam Smith, a striker people want us to sign, scored 13 goals across 45 appearances. 3,677 minutes so a goal every 283 minutes. Cole Stockton, the man who invented football, scored 11 in 39. 2,720 minutes, a goal every 247 minutes (and he had only scored 4 goals by mid-April).
    He did all that as a novice while playing in a fairly poor team. Not just that, he was able to adapt and contribute in a way that Stockley and Bonne weren't, so it's not like any striker could have just slotted into that team and scored goals. I don't think anyone has ever praised Leaburn as the second coming of Rooney, but it's right to be excited about a player who in his first season has provided an incredibly strong goals per minute return. £5m wouldn't get near it.
    No of course no one has litterally called him the second Wayne Rooney that just my attempt to capture the hyperbole SOME fans are prone to. I dont think its negative at all tbh, as said he did well and looks like a player who will have a career at a higher level, also as said i like him. Maybe i could praise him for his clear mental abilities to handle the pressure that was put on him, though the pessimist in me says maybe there was a lack of expectations but none the less he did brilliant for himself this season.

So my point about 5million plus incentives isnt regarding a comparison to Stockley and Bonne, we dont need those comparisons because of course we all know Leaburn was better this season than both of them. Also thats kind of my point you make comparisons to Smith and Stockton both strikers for teams that were relegated or flirting with relegation. An honest question (and in no way an insult to you Leaburn) do you believe Leaburn would have started for Plymouth, Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday ? Or Bolton for that matter. None of this is a criticism of Leaburn as i believe he has what it takes to play PL or championship football in future (possibly he could play championship now) but more a point that we have so many problems over the pitch if someone offered 5million plus other incentives id rather we take it use it to create a more robust team.
    To be honest, the only hyperbole I've really seen on Leaburn has come from you up there. I don't think people overreact to him, as I've laid out he's done incredibly well for a player of his age and experience. Despite that there's still plenty of debate about whether he is good enough to play at Premier League level. Hardly being tipped for ridiculous glory.
    I wasn't linking the £5m to Stockley and Bonne, I was pointing out with them that it's not like we were so brilliantly creative that any striker could do what Leaburn did; others failed. I also used Smith and Stockton as examples because they're strikers we've been linked with on here.
    I don't know if Leaburn would have started for those teams; he doesn't play for them, we'll never know. Plymouth are an interesting example though. Won the league with 101 points, they generally played one up front and had three first team strikers. You wouldn't call any of them massively prolific though; Hardie played 44 scored 13 (2,412 mins), Niall Ennis played 38 scored 12 (1,838 mins) and Sam Cosgrove played 33 scored 8 (1,307 mins). Hardie scored one more than Leaburn but did it in 596 more minutes. Ennis's goal/minutes record is almost identical and Miles played 500 more minutes than Cosgrave but scored 4 more goals. So actually Leaburn's output was completely comparable to any of the strikers that were employed to win Plymouth the league this season.
    In second Ipswich were goal machines. Conor Chaplin a ridiculous P45/G26/3,341 mins and Freddie Ladapo P46/G17/2,173 mins. These players though are 26 and 30 years old; no PL team is going to be perking up at hearing those tallies. Chaplin scored more than a quarter of his career league goals this one season.
    As for Weds, our old mate Michael Smith (31) P39/G16/2,918 mins and grandpa Lee Gregory (34) P38/G10/2,358 mins led their charts up front. Josh Windass (29) played a lot of positions across the attack but P34/G11/2,485 mins. Callum Paterson (28) P25/G5/1,363 mins. We'll never know if Miles would have started for these teams but with the exception of a freak season from Chaplin, Leaburn's scoring record is comparable or better in terms of goals scored against minutes played to the strikers the top 3 used to get promoted. Of all those players listed the youngest is 24. If you check out what all these players were doing at Miles's age it doesn't make for great reading. In fact, Michael Smith was busy not getting a minute for our L1 team. I think any one of those top three teams would have been beside themselves to have him in their squad, and he likely would have been far better supplied and less likely to be crippled for a portion of the season.
    You'd be nuts to hoik him out for such a low fee based on what he's produced this season. You don't need £5m to build a team to get out of L1 but you do need to keep your best players.
    I cant be bothered to go compare stats so i will admit you make some good points. As for me being the only one who hyperbolates about him, i can honestly say i go to every match and have heard it.

Out of interest a question for you, being pragmatic and understanding everyone has a price, how much do you personally think he is worth ?
    Fair enough, I can't speak to what you hear at matches and in my experience people at matches are far less measured than they are on here.
    At this point for me it's less about what Leaburn is worth right now and more about what his worth can become. Right now he's had a decent effectively half season at a very young age. That means his value is really anywhere between a few hundred thousand and tens of millions. Leaburn came out of nowhere a little bit; we all knew his name because of his dad but he wasn't one of the ones tipped to be a future star and the season before Burstow and Kanu were considered brighter prospects and played under Jackson. His sudden development was incredible and at the moment we don't know if there's more to come or at what rate it might happen. Is he going to burst forward every year or is this as good as it'll get? Was it a one-off? This season will be a big one in that if he gets the nod as our number 9, plays the full season and gets the same scoring rate he did this year then he'll get over 20 goals and suddenly he'll be a 21 year old with 30-odd L1 goals in two seasons. At that point his value will increase massively.
    It's hard to compare past transfer fees as the market is such a mess but two ones to look at are Lookman and Assombalonga. Lookman had essentially two half seasons, one at Champ level at one at L1 and he played wider than Leaburn but he got 10 goals overall. Very impressive, similar age and went for £7.5m rising to £11m back in 2017. Assombalonga had a 23 goal L1 season and went up a division for £5m rising to £8m all the way back in 2014. It all boils down to what Leaburn does this season. If he's anything like he was this season then realistically PL teams will be looking and regardless of whether we get promoted (though that has to be a consideration too) we would be mad not to request more than £10m based on his contribution and his potential. Conversely if he's rubbish this season and his debut looks like a one off then his value massively goes down. All that to say I think that at the moment selling him is out of the question, unless a team offers us something north of £10/15m, which would be an insane thing to do. Best case scenario we have a striker who can help fire us to promotion and then fund our survival and growth the next season, worst case we've got a young player we can try to develop further even if he doesn't look like he's going to be a super prolific goalscorer. The value in his upside outweighs a current pricetag.
    Feels like a sensible assessment to me.
  • Options
    Stupid tackle whoever their bloke was
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Kap10 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    seth plum said:
    I am not sure loan backs are a good idea.
    Didn’t work with Bairstow last time.
    Pretty effective for palace when they sold Zaha to Utd

Was crap for United though, mentally never left Palace
    Got Palace promoted 
    And has almost single handedly kept them there year after year 
    It's genuinely not because he's Palace but I don't see it with Zaha. Sure, he's a decent player, has scored some important goals and at a fairly consistent level but overrated for me. For free he's a good signing but Eze has superior potential and really showed his class under Hodgson. 
    Glorified sprinter. 
  • Options
    Ah ffs seeing Miles like that after our first pre season game. It was a ridiculous challenge from their lump and in the box. He was outpaced and then definitely made up for it with an angle hack.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Was amazing the ref didn't see it as a foul. Not that it would have made much difference but it does amaze me. I think some refs don't like to give fouls as pens which accepts their own lack of ability when you think about it. 
  • Options
    Million off his price now.
  • Options
    It's football it happens hopefully he won't be out for long 
  • Options
    I would imagine the boot is a precaution. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He picks up injuries on a regular basis. Worrying.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Might need an extra striker this window....
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    He picks up injuries on a regular basis. Worrying.
    He's 6ft5 and performs some moves/play of somebody before their growth spurt, which is understandable. He might need to become less dynamic to be more effective?
  • Options
    So now 500k ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So now 500k ? 
    If we can get around £2m for Bonne and Burstow each then Leaburn’s worth a lot more.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    MrOneLung said:
    So now 500k ? 
    If we can get around £2m for Bonne and Burstow each then Leaburn’s worth a lot more.
    Not saying he is worth less than them. Saying I think we will get less than them. 
  • Options
    Might need an extra striker this window....
    Rooms with Chucks
  • Options
    Any updates on his injury, out for the season?
  • Options
    No word just yet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2023
    mendonca said:
    No word just yet. 
    Not as per the latest London News on Line report in the last half hour. Then again, if it’s bad news why would you advertise it if you’re in negotiations for a forward and possibly risk the asking price being increased 🤔.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    mendonca said:
    No word just yet. 
    Not as per the latest London News on Line report in the last half hour. Then again, if it’s bad news why would you advertise it if you’re in negotiations for a forward and possibly risk the asking price being increased 🤔.

You should apply for the post of Head of Communications, you'd do very well.
  • Options

• Options
    edited July 2023
    And Ronnie told us it’s not serious if you can walk on it 😏. Well it wasn’t season ending but it’s serious enough for him to miss pre season and probably all of August and September, if we are lucky 😞.
  • Options
    Real shame. We need at least another striker. More likely two. 
  • Options
    Well I suppose at least the constant niggles he picks up means he is more likely to stay with us this season. 

Wonder if Holden will have to consider going back to 4-3-3 as with Leaburn and Aneke not fit, and both prone to injuries? May +1 won’t be enough. 
  • Options
    best case scenario, a number of weeks means only 4 so can return to training beginning of August. Would have missed pre season so will take a month to get up to speed. We see him back on the pitch beginning of September. Personally, that's best case. I doubt we will see him until October.