Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
     Dean Holden is hoping that Miles Leaburn will be back from his ankle injury before the end of this month.

Holden knows about the ghosts and curse!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Thanks for posting this. Good news. 
  • Options
    I still don't expect to see him in the matchday squad until September. Chuks later in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The way this report has been worded does not even suggest he'll be near playing first team football this month.

I'd not be surprised if he does not make an appearance until mid September.
  • Options
    I still don't expect to see him in the matchday squad until September. Chuks later in my opinion.
    Yeah he'll need time to build up fitness so i wouldn't expect to see him on the bench until early September, maybe Fleetwood at home or the pizza cup with Crawley.
  • Options
    Thanks to that Welling idiot, he won't have had a full pre-season. I am still angry about that challenge and if I had any say, I'd knock that friendly on the head next pre-season and cite that foul as the reason.
    Same here as it happened just under me. The lump is about 100kg plus too some threw quite some force into it too. The fact the referee told Miles to get up will make him reference that it was just a bloody "coming together". Very very poor all round and I was a bit surprised nobody from the club came out fuming afterwards. Or any fans at least pose a remark on his Instagram. Sadly, him and Egbo were having a bit of a love in about the game and ignoring what happened to Miles. 

Starting the season with May and Leaburn proved too good to be true.
  • Options
    Be funny if that had been the Sam Field who played for us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my prediction for Miles this season is if he starts 30+ games, he scores 15+ goals. He has the attributes and i hope fulfils the ability to be the best young striker we've had for a long time.
  • Options
    Thanks to that Welling idiot, he won't have had a full pre-season. I am still angry about that challenge and if I had any say, I'd knock that friendly on the head next pre-season and cite that foul as the reason.
    I posted something the same a few pages back, and received quite a few likes…and one LOL. Curious to see who thought the idea funny, I clicked on the LOL… and was reminded that the Welling Comms Manager walks among us, friends😂

well, looks like I’m not a lone voice @Ollywozere
  • Options
    Let’s not underestimate the time it’ll take to get Miles up to speed/fitness.
    Think DH said Miles should be ready to join the squad training around third or forth week in August?
    So my guess is middle of September- earliest.
  • Options
    Don’t play any local teams , they’re all our rivals for potential fans .
    Don’t give anyone a leg up .
    I want everyone to support Charlton and us to have to build a 100k stadium to keep as many as possible happy.
    World domination and pre season friendlies against Bayern Munich and Barcelona .
    Everyone in London supports Charlton we need the worlds first 200k stadium .

• Options
    I posted something the same a few pages back, and received quite a few likes…and one LOL. Curious to see who thought the idea funny, I clicked on the LOL… and was reminded that the Welling Comms Manager walks among us, friends😂

Apologies Prague, I didn’t wish to belittle the point, I just feel it’s a bit of an overreaction. 
    Obviously, I can look at it from both sides, but it’s a little bit silly to suggest knocking the friendly on the head forever more due to one tackle and one injury.
    Particularly when you consider the uproar at the time when the club didn’t see the importance in continuing the tradition previously.
    It was a very unfortunate injury and one that could happen in any game, friendly or not.
    By all accounts, there were far more silly tackles flying about in the Dartford game a couple of weeks later - thankfully there were no injuries as a result, but there could have been and then we’d all be calling to never play Dartford again.

There was no animosity whatsoever between the players or the clubs as a result of the injury. It’s football. 
    Miles is a hugely important player for Charlton and that game is a hugely important one for Welling every year.

No Welling player is going out to injure another player in these games so it doesn’t do anyone any favours to go tit-for-tat and cancel the tradition. 
    If you don’t play Welling, you go and play another non-league team instead and the same thing is just as likely to happen anyway.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter with a foot in both camps, but fully expect to be shot down! 
    I would agree that there were some really naughty tackles by Dartford players too. I assumed, maybe wrongly that there was a contractual obligation to play them given we use their ground and all. I think the tackle on Leaburn was totally unnaceptable in a friendly and maybe Welling should try to make assurances that their players understand that the game is a friendly in future. The way I see it, Charlton field two seperate sides in these early games and there shouldn't be an issue with playing one of these against the other. 

I am all for the tradition continuing as long as Welling don't injure any more of our players. Why won't it happen again next season? This was an avoidable injury and in a competetive game understandable, but in a friendly unnaceptable.
  • Options

Apologies Prague, I didn’t wish to belittle the point, I just feel it’s a bit of an overreaction. 
    Obviously, I can look at it from both sides, but it’s a little bit silly to suggest knocking the friendly on the head forever more due to one tackle and one injury.
    Particularly when you consider the uproar at the time when the club didn’t see the importance in continuing the tradition previously.
    It was a very unfortunate injury and one that could happen in any game, friendly or not.
    By all accounts, there were far more silly tackles flying about in the Dartford game a couple of weeks later - thankfully there were no injuries as a result, but there could have been and then we’d all be calling to never play Dartford again.

There was no animosity whatsoever between the players or the clubs as a result of the injury. It’s football. 
    Miles is a hugely important player for Charlton and that game is a hugely important one for Welling every year.

No Welling player is going out to injure another player in these games so it doesn’t do anyone any favours to go tit-for-tat and cancel the tradition. 
    If you don’t play Welling, you go and play another non-league team instead and the same thing is just as likely to happen anyway.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter with a foot in both camps, but fully expect to be shot down! 
    It's a fair point - we also went to Millwall in one of the most competitive friendlies I've seen for years.
  • Options
    Any friendly can have a poor tackle. 
    To say take the friendly away from the other team is laughable

if a team starts playing overly aggressively en masse you can always stop the game

maybe we should play walking football against some pensioners to prevent any injuries 
  • Options
    If it’s walking backwards football, we’d have half a chance of getting the win too…
  • Options
    Was it the staff v fans at Welling that had multiple people having to go to A&E? And is your wrist back to normal yet @Ollywozere ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Ollywozere

Thanks for your answer, Olly. Maybe its an over-reaction to say it should be cancelled; however I seem to recall there was a similar row a few years ago. And I wonder what would the reaction be if we persuaded Man City to come down for a testimonial, and Ryan Inniss put in the same kind of tackle on Haarland? I don’t know where I heard it from but I have the disitnct impression that FAPL clubs have a quiet word before sending out their best players in a lower league friendly. It’s not such a big ask, is it? After all even in a competitive game a defender on a yellow knows he needs to be careful with his tackles after that.  
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    @Ollywozere

Thanks for your answer, Olly. Maybe its an over-reaction to say it should be cancelled; however I seem to recall there was a similar row a few years ago. And I wonder what would the reaction be if we persuaded Man City to come down for a testimonial, and Ryan Inniss put in the same kind of tackle on Haarland? I don’t know where I heard it from but I have the disitnct impression that FAPL clubs have a quiet word before sending out their best players in a lower league friendly. It’s not such a big ask, is it? After all even in a competitive game a defender on a yellow knows he needs to be careful with his tackles after that.  
    Totally agree, the threat of doing so may make some players think again. If the friendly meant anything to Welling they might have a word with their players because if something like this happens again next season, there will be a bigger outcry.

• Options
    Miles Leaburn will return to training on Monday after missing the opening month of the campaign with an ankle injury.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/miles-leaburn-return-training-monday
  • Options
    clive said:
    Miles Leaburn will return to training on Monday after missing the opening month of the campaign with an ankle injury.
    Conveniently announced with one week to go in the transfer window.
  • Options
    Poor lad, but onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Conveniently announced with one week to go in the transfer window.
    You dont believe its true then?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The expectation and pressure on him to save our season will be astronomical when he returns. I think all of us need to moderate our expectations but I do have some fears. At least we know he’s got a good family around him which will help. 
    Holden might chuck him in too soon next week now with his job on the line. Really hope we manage him properly 
  • Options
    Welcome back. Many thought he was on the bench for show.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Gave everyone a huge lift when he was brought on. Did his defensive job very well from the right wing and helped out with defending set pieces. 

Could have had a goal if CBT cross found him because he was unmarked at the back-post.