Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Playing Miles at right-wing could arguably replace Rak-Sakyi's goals. Can see him scoring a lot from that position. 

It still seems like we don't make much use of his aerial threat. That should change. If he played for Wycombe, Stevenage or the like, they'd be utilising it to the max. 
    I'm not sure he has that much aerial threat.  He's taller than his Dad but nowhere near as imposing in the air.
    Yet. He is only 19 and will hopefully improve
  • Options
    Still got lots to learn, but loved how he kept his composure in front of goal, to put it away.
  • Options
    A full season promotion push would do wonders for these boys careers. Leaving at Xmas might make a bit of financial sense, but staying will make them better footballers imo
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Playing Miles at right-wing could arguably replace Rak-Sakyi's goals. Can see him scoring a lot from that position. 

It still seems like we don't make much use of his aerial threat. That should change. If he played for Wycombe, Stevenage or the like, they'd be utilising it to the max. 
    I'm not sure he has that much aerial threat.  He's taller than his Dad but nowhere near as imposing in the air.
    But a much better goal scorer.
    Indeed. His Dad was great at holding the ball up, bringing others into play, powerful in the air.
    But I recall him going almost a whole season without scoring a goal.
    His son, on the other hand, has pace, great skill, composure in front of goal, a fantastic shot with little backlift, and is good in the air.
    Yes he still has some tricks to learn, but I haven't seen a more promising youngster since Paul Walsh.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Miles definitely has all the attributes needed for the modern game at the top level. Stature, pace, height, temperament and good feet. He’s shown us at Charlton how he’s improving game on game and if his footballing education and improvement continues at the same level and pace as we’re currently seeing I have no doubt he’s going to go on and have a very good Premier League career. I don’t think we’ll see the finished article playing in a Charlton shirt because that is still probably four years away. What we need is for Charlton to get the best possible deal and outcome from his inevitable departure. A season long loan back would be a massive boost along of course with the best possible financial recompense.
  • Options
    It would be lovely if we could get promoted this season and Miles gets an improved contract through to 2026 giving us and him the benefit of exiting in June 2025 if his development warrants and if we're looking like being in the Championship for a while longer............
  • Options
    Chunes said:

But a much better goal scorer.
    Indeed, but I was responding to the OP’s comment about his aerial threat. 
  • Options
    Assuming Miles continues to improve I can only see a slight chance of him staying with us if we are in the Championship next season.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was a great fan of his dad but I have to admit he wasn't a great goalscorer. Having said that, he was playing at a higher level. I thought he was a massive asset to the team but definitely lacked that quality but it became less noticeable the lower the level.
  • Options
    I was a great fan of his dad but I have to admit he wasn't a great goalscorer. Having said that, he was playing at a higher level. I thought he was a massive asset to the team but definitely lacked that quality but it became less noticeable the lower the level.
    We managed his dad's development badly, there was no nurturing, due to circumstances of the club at the time. I think in his first 100 games he only scored 2 goals, but after that his goal to game ratio was much better and Mendonca claimed he was his best strike partner .. holding up the ball and setting him up.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I think we're in danger of underplaying how bereft of goals Carlo was. We literally had T-shirts that said "I was there when Leaburn scored a goal". His ratio at Charton was one goal every six games! We celebrated his first ever goal like it was the greatest goal ever scored, but I am 99% sure it was an own goal. 

Many of us (me included because I was 10 years old) underestimated how important his presence was, and I believe several of his teammates rated him as their favourite strike partner. His hold up play was as good as it gets. Emile Heskey made a career out of not being as good as Leaburn at that stuff. 

I was at The Valley on Saturday for the first time in years, and Miles looked immense for the brief time I saw him. He's absolutely nothing like his dad in terms of play style. 
  • Options
    As with all of our exciting young players, gaining promotion is key to us keeping them. I would like to see Leaburn play through the middle with May behind him, but I also think he looks dangerous when he plays as a wide  forward! 
  • Options
    Carl’s first 3/4 seasons were at the top of the game in the top flight 
    didn’t he score at Newcastle when we won 0-3 in a massive end of season game with miller and crooks also scoring their first Charlton goals or someone else 
    im sure he’d have been more prolific playing in the third tier 
    yep he was not anywhere near prolific but he was often coming on as sub in his early career 
  • Options
    I was told that in his early days, he was told to pass rather than shoot. 
  • Options
    Other than the name and the height, the Leaburns couldn't be more different in style. Miles is quick, tricky and excellent in one on one opportunities. Carl was a bruiser, a bridge between midfield and his strike partner, excellent at attacking set pieces and holding the ball up
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Other than the name and the height, the Leaburns couldn't be more different in style. Miles is quick, tricky and excellent in one on one opportunities. Carl was a bruiser, a bridge between midfield and his strike partner, excellent at attacking set pieces and holding the ball up
    That second part is what Miles will improve as he gets stronger and more experienced. When he has that he will be a real handful at any level 
  • Options
    Carlo also I think played midfield some of his early career? He also had at least 2, possibly 3 seasons scoring into double figures for us at Championship level (think he got 14 odd in 1993/94?). He was not a prolific goalscorer and that wasn't his role, but as oohaah says, he wouldve scored more playing in the third tier (Stockley managed to score 18 odd for us one season!) and probably would have had a respectable 1 in 4 sort of career average if he had played his entire career at 2nd tier level rather than a substantial proportion in the top flight.

That said, Miles has the potential to be a much better player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big opportunity for Miles now Chuks is out again to prove he has been learning from him. 

I'd love to see Leaburn plowing through players in the way Chuks does, but have concerns about his fragility just as much. 
  • Options
    Think the problem Miles has is that he's naturally a fairly slim tall bloke. It's crazy how hard it can be to build muscle when you've got a long thin frame, hopefully he'll bulk out a bit but it will take time
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The kid's 19 and not fully physically developed yet. By the time he's mid 20s there won't be many centre backs pushing him around, and he already more than holds his owns considering he's still so young.
  • Options
    We had this all last Jan then the summer now again this Jan .. very simple Leaburn will not be leaving in Jan …. Said before slap a silly price on any player heads 4/5 mill if anyone silly enough to pay it fine ..
  • Options
    We had this all last Jan then the summer now again this Jan .. very simple Leaburn will not be leaving in Jan …. Said before slap a silly price on any player heads 4/5 mill if anyone silly enough to pay it fine ..
    If I owned a championship club, I would gladly offer £5m for leaburn. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    If I owned a championship club, I would gladly offer £5m for leaburn. 

Could see Southampton or Leeds doing it easily. 
  • Options
    I doubt Carlton Palmer has even watched him play live.
  • Options
    Leaburn should sign the contract extension as soon as possible if I was him, while he can get a pay rise 
    Not many clubs will be comming in for him in January  as they have seen he is not the finished product by  a mile, no where near ready for higher level first team starts.