Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    Such a good compilation.  All sorts of different goals, headers, diving headers, thunderbolts, penalties, tap ins, one on ones... Everything.  
    Still has a long way to go but those that think he is over rated are wrong imo.
    I don’t how some don’t see a lot of potential in him. No one is saying he can be world class but he’s already a good goalscorer, more physicality, better hold up play, decision making and consistency usually comes with age. Sometimes struggling with those things doesn’t mean he’ll never develop them.

A £3m bid being rejected and PL interest shows he’s highly rated. There are very few teenagers with his goalscoring record.
  • Options
    Brentford makes a lot of sense if they do end up selling Toney in January once his ban is up. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    "Charlton’s new owners Global Football Partners rejected a bid in excess of £3million from a Bundesliga club in the summer and are under no pressure to sell Leaburn, who signed a three-year professional deal in July 2022." First time seen that fee quoted. Wonder which club it was
    There was talk about an unnamed German club in the summer, but no fee mentioned.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Brentford makes a lot of sense if they do end up selling Toney in January once his ban is up. 
    no way those two events would be related. Leaburn would be playing in their B team or more likely loaned out to the championship. Brentford will probably have a ready made Toney replacement to go 
  • Options
    Looking at Brentford's striker options , it's only really Toney and Maupay as central strikers on their books. Likes of Mbeumo , Lewis-Potter and Wissa are more wingers 
  • Options
    We had this all last Jan then the summer now again this Jan .. very simple Leaburn will not be leaving in Jan …. Said before slap a silly price on any player heads 4/5 mill if anyone silly enough to pay it fine ..
    If I owned a championship club, I would gladly offer £5m for leaburn. 
    And if I owned Charlton I would gladly sell him to you.
    5 million pounds if invested wisely in the team should guarantee promotion from league one.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    no way those two events would be related. Leaburn would be playing in their B team or more likely loaned out to the championship. Brentford will probably have a ready made Toney replacement to go 
    There is no way Leaburn is going anywhere to be in a team’s B team. I don’t think people realise how highly rated he is outside of Charlton. He’s not the finished article of course but he’s a hugely exciting and talented 6ft 5/6 striker with pace, skill, a really decent scoring record. There really are not many players around like him.

I’m sure they’ll be some decent bids in January. If he does go, I hope we can get the loan back for the rest of the season as I feel he is in a place to offer a lot more than Burstow was at the time he was loaned back to us.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    There is no way Leaburn is going anywhere to be in a team’s B team. I don’t think people realise how highly rated he is outside of Charlton. He’s not the finished article of course but he’s a hugely exciting and talented 6ft 5/6 striker with pace, skill, a really decent scoring record. There really are not many players around like him.

I’m sure they’ll be some decent bids in January. If he does go, I hope we can get the loan back for the rest of the season as I feel he is in a place to offer a lot more than Burstow was at the time he was loaned back to us.
    He’s English too, which adds a premium. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Looking at Brentford's striker options , it's only really Toney and Maupay as central strikers on their books. Likes of Mbeumo , Lewis-Potter and Wissa are more wingers 
    And Maupay hasn't scored in 33 games!
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Of course he’s highly rated, I’m just saying he’s not Premier League ready yet. So if Brentford bought him he’d either be in the B team or loaned out 
  • Options
    Would he be the same as Scott Parker when he went to Chelsea,sitting on the bench for most games.Apart tinpot cup games.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Such a good compilation.  All sorts of different goals, headers, diving headers, thunderbolts, penalties, tap ins, one on ones... Everything.  
    Still has a long way to go but those that think he is over rated are wrong imo.
    I don’t how some don’t see a lot of potential in him. No one is saying he can be world class but he’s already a good goalscorer, more physicality, better hold up play, decision making and consistency usually comes with age. Sometimes struggling with those things doesn’t mean he’ll never develop them.

A £3m bid being rejected and PL interest shows he’s highly rated. There are very few teenagers with his goalscoring record.
    Look at the modern striker at the top level, clubs want strikers that are all-rounders so tall, fast, strong, technically good and of course scoring goals. Most teams play 1 up top so they need that profile. Leaburn is the perfect physical profile and has done well in league 1 at just 18/19. Injuries are probably the only thing that will stop him playing in the premier league 
  • Options
    The kid has 19 goals in 50 games, find me another striker in any division who has accomplished this before the age of 21 in recent times. He is special and the longer we keep him the better for us and him. You don't get many 18/19 year olds that come into men's football and bully defenders like he does, ask Harlee Dean how tough it was playing against him last week. I wouldn't take £5m for him. Methven said we were offered just over 4.25m combined for Dobo, CBT and Leaburn, he told me that directly, and I said if he did sell all 3 for that then he'd be a fool. Leaburn is worth imo £7m+ look and compare Toney at a similar age to Leaburn and how much Peterborough ended up selling for, then add a £m for inflation 🤣
  • Options
    See I wouldn't agree he's a "top player" in League 1. He's only young and still has a huge amount of development to go, but he's not in the same range as people like Shelvey, Lookman and Gomez were where they came into the side and immediately looked too good for the league. Miles still has games where he is completely ineffective and goes missing, and he actually looks more effective playing wider and using that pace and power against smaller fullbacks than big, tough central defenders. 

He'll go on to great things, but he's not a top player in our division, at least not yet
  • Options
    Looks like he could be gone in the next window Chelsea & Brentford both after him
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    sam3110 said:
    See I wouldn't agree he's a "top player" in League 1. He's only young and still has a huge amount of development to go, but he's not in the same range as people like Shelvey, Lookman and Gomez were where they came into the side and immediately looked too good for the league. Miles still has games where he is completely ineffective and goes missing, and he actually looks more effective playing wider and using that pace and power against smaller fullbacks than big, tough central defenders. 

He'll go on to great things, but he's not a top player in our division, at least not yet
    I know what you mean and I'm inclined to agree with you when you use Shelvey and Lookman as examples, but he scored 13 goals last season, only starting 20-odd matches. Even at his current ability, if he starts 46 games a season he's guaranteed 15-20 goals a season (in a pretty crap team) - I'd say those stats describe a top player in any league. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derek1952 said:
    Would he be the same as Scott Parker when he went to Chelsea,sitting on the bench for most games.Apart tinpot cup games.
    Unlikely to get close to the Chelsea bench. Lots of the big clubs don’t actually sign players because they think they’ll make their first team. They sign them up, loan them out for a few seasons and hope their value has increased enough to make a tidy profit when they flog them on. Take Tedic for example, his chances of ever being a regular for Man City are very small, his chances of making Man City a profit on whatever they paid for him are very large. 

Burstow was a bit of an exception, he got some minutes earlier this season (and in pre-season) because Chelsea had a crisis. He was then promptly sent on loan to Sunderland.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

The better the players that he plays with the better he will look, because those better players will play to his strengths.
    You don't see City only lumping the ball to Haaland just because he's 6' 4".
    Many people were criticising Miles performance the other night but hitting the ball long in the air to him was always going to suit Lincoln's big lumps at the back. We should be looking to play the ball into his feet and feeding off him. For someone so young he appears to have good football intelligence/awareness.
    I believe that he will go on to great things.
  • Options
    se9addick said: Take Tedic for example, his chances of ever being a regular for Man City are very small, his chances of making Man City a profit on whatever they paid for him are very large. 

He cost £2-3m I can’t see Man City making a profit on him 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    CAFCDAZ said:
    The kid has 19 goals in 50 games, find me another striker in any division who has accomplished this before the age of 21 in recent times. He is special and the longer we keep him the better for us and him. You don't get many 18/19 year olds that come into men's football and bully defenders like he does, ask Harlee Dean how tough it was playing against him last week. I wouldn't take £5m for him. Methven said we were offered just over 4.25m combined for Dobo, CBT and Leaburn, he told me that directly, and I said if he did sell all 3 for that then he'd be a fool. Leaburn is worth imo £7m+ look and compare Toney at a similar age to Leaburn and how much Peterborough ended up selling for, then add a £m for inflation 🤣
    Toney was about £8m wasn't he?  And Assombalonga £15m.  Both scoring more in L1 than Miles probably will this season, but also both older.

Peterborough know how not to sell on the cheap and we need to learn the same - I'm not saying I think we should get £15m, but I make you right compared to those saying £4-5m.

Other point is if (more likely when) we don't go up this year, we may well lose Dobbo and CBT for free - if we sell Leaburn too, we're going to need to sell high and buy decent replacements for a few positions.
  • Options
    We had this all last Jan then the summer now again this Jan .. very simple Leaburn will not be leaving in Jan …. Said before slap a silly price on any player heads 4/5 mill if anyone silly enough to pay it fine ..
    5 million pounds if invested wisely in the team should guarantee promotion from league one.
    £4m + Matt penny and you have a deal
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Derek1952 said:
    Unlikely to get close to the Chelsea bench. Lots of the big clubs don’t actually sign players because they think they’ll make their first team. They sign them up, loan them out for a few seasons and hope their value has increased enough to make a tidy profit when they flog them on. Take Tedic for example, his chances of ever being a regular for Man City are very small, his chances of making Man City a profit on whatever they paid for him are very large. 

Burstow was a bit of an exception, he got some minutes earlier this season (and in pre-season) because Chelsea had a crisis. He was then promptly sent on loan to Sunderland.
    Their fans love him.  Comments from their forum...

- I’m all for getting behind the players. However, we need a lot more than someone who can run around a bit.  In 8 (or is it 9 games) I can recall him registering ONE tame as fuck shot on target which he should have scored. One! By winning the penalty at Sheff Wed, he’s made ONE goal scoring contribution. That’s nowhere near good enough for a team with ambitions of promotion.
    If there was something else to his game like holding the ball up and bringing others into play then I’d be a little less critical but he’s weak as piss at that too. Hemir and Rusyn might not be much / any better but I’d far rather they had a chance as our players than an ineffective loan from Chelsea

Burstow averages 10.1 passes per game, his closing down is very poor (he's got no interceptions this season, has made only 3 blocks and 4 tackles - compared to Rusyn's 1, 3 and 2 in vastly less minutes), he has only been caught offside once as he barely makes runs in behind, he's got less touches in the final 3rd than Huggins, Cirkin and Hume, he's only even touched the ball 14 times in the opposition penalty box this season (Ballard has 23!) and he's only won 5 out of 21 aerial duels.  Other than that he's alright.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Derek1952 said:

Their fans love him.  Comments from their forum...

- I’m all for getting behind the players. However, we need a lot more than someone who can run around a bit.  In 8 (or is it 9 games) I can recall him registering ONE tame as fuck shot on target which he should have scored. One! By winning the penalty at Sheff Wed, he’s made ONE goal scoring contribution. That’s nowhere near good enough for a team with ambitions of promotion.
    If there was something else to his game like holding the ball up and bringing others into play then I’d be a little less critical but he’s weak as piss at that too. Hemir and Rusyn might not be much / any better but I’d far rather they had a chance as our players than an ineffective loan from Chelsea

- Burstow averages 10.1 passes per game, his closing down is very poor (he's got no interceptions this season, has made only 3 blocks and 4 tackles - compared to Rusyn's 1, 3 and 2 in vastly less minutes), he has only been caught offside once as he barely makes runs in behind, he's got less touches in the final 3rd than Huggins, Cirkin and Hume, he's only even touched the ball 14 times in the opposition penalty box this season (Ballard has 23!) and he's only won 5 out of 21 aerial duels.  Other than that he's alright.
    A small data point, but one I'd show to any youngster looking to go to a big club early on. 

If Burstow stayed here for that time and continued to impress and develop, playing most games for us, against men in a physical league, I reckon he'd now be playing at a similar level to now, but probably making more of an impact, and probably in a better side too. I know there's ifs and buts to that, but it's how I feel a lot of young careers go

• Options
    £4m + Matt penny and you have a deal
    I'd pay you a million to keep Matt Penny 🤣
  • Options
    It’s great for us but find it strange miles hasn’t been called up to the England u20 squad.
  • Options
    It’s great for us but find it strange miles hasn’t been called up to the England u20 squad.
    Agreed. Weird that he's never had any international recognition, whereas his father did have England youth caps