Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Accrington v Charlton | July 30, 2022

Comments

• Oggy Red said:
    I just get the feeling that our new custodian Wollacutt might have the look of attaining a bit of a cult status. He’s going to pull of some miraculous saves over the season and due to our defensive strategy I think might be involved in a few howlers. I was definitely impressed today. 
    The new Sir Charlie Wright?

PS: Kiddoes, ask your Grandad. :smile:

I nearly wrote the new Charlie Wright.
  • edited July 2022
    Don’t care if it’s first, 21st or last game of season, failing to see the game out for 3pts is a poor show.  If Derby and Sheff Weds turn up we will be chasing again after 3 games.  All good things nullified by the bad = same old Charlton. A draw at Accrington is not top six result. 
    We drew at Accrington in 18/19!! - Calm down
  • Bloke in the white shirt runs on the pitch, is that now a life ban ?
    Offenders to receive automatic club ban under new Premier League & EFL measures. Pitch invaders at Premier League and English Football League matches will receive an automatic club ban under new measures to tackle fan behaviour.
  • A point away from home is always good especially if we manage to win at home.
  • Bloke in the white shirt runs on the pitch, is that now a life ban ?
      I'll have to remember that.
  • Rothko said:
    Already have an emerging philosophy and identity to how this team will play, which I never once saw in 46 games last season 
    Agree with that. 1st game of the season is probably the worst to judge where we’ll be next May. I think that was a positive result made to look a lot worse because of the final minute or so. Some results are just unfortunate, let’s give it a couple of months before we start analysing where it’s going wrong (or right) on the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:
    Was funny at the end of the game. Some muppet went down the front to abuse Stockley and let rip until Stockley decided to come over to him. The bloke then ran off as quick as he could. Totally hilarious. 
    🍒
  • Don’t care if it’s first, 21st or last game of season, failing to see the game out for 3pts is a poor show.  If Derby and Sheff Weds turn up we will be chasing again after 3 games.  All good things nullified by the bad = same old Charlton. A draw at Accrington is not top six result. 

The 1st game is not a clear picture of how the season will end up.

Plenty of times when we've won the 1st game and got relegated in the same season. 

We started slow in the promotion 2018/19 season. Lost away at Sunderland and was a bit patchy.
  • I am tired of people saying they see game plan. Give 2 or 3 months for the players to get better at it. That is pretty much saying that they have no chance of a top6 posistion because we have badly recruited again.
  • Southbank said:
    We've recruited a 4th division manager and a bunch of 4th division players to add to our very average 3rd division leftovers from last season.
    We shouldn't really expect much more than we got today, realistically. There will need to be some real class added in August to change that.
    This is a very important point. If TS has spent big and bought 5-6 Championship players that were prepared to drop down for big wages, I could see expectations being high. As it is, I think the muted hope of success is likely to result in most being happy and surprised with a decent run, more than expectant. 
  • edited July 2022
    Had to delete original post ...hard to tell if people are being serious 
  • edited July 2022
    SDAddick said:
    People said we need a former player who knows the club to manage us but it must be said, Garner has fully embraced the disappointment of being a Charlton coach.

Seriously though, a lot of good, a lot of things to improve. There were some really good stretches in the first half, and some really poor ones in the second. And that's to be expected from a new manager who is systems based trying to instill a way of playing on a group of players who largely haven't played that way before. 

The last time we had a systems manager was Robinson. His first full season we started like a house on fire, but that was in large part due to individual quality of players like Magennis, Fosu, Holmes, Clarke, and JFC. 

(Not Mag. Sorry.)

First match I haven’t been able to watch live for some time, due to a wedding. 
    Had a quick look at the thread at half time. Then when things were sounding sticky early in the second half I dipped out until 90 mins. Wasn’t too surprised to see Accy had equalised, then had the euphoria of what I thought was the Leaburn winner. 
    Was gutted to hear about the equaliser, but had us down for a 2-1 defeat, so overall I’m reasonably happy. 
    Football is a results game, and it’s an improvement on last season’s; sounds like there were some positives from the game, some good individual performances , and Miles nearly made himself a hero on his full debut. 
    They key now is to learn from the game and improve areas that need work, something we haven’t done with our last four managers, all of whom were quite stubborn. 
    A defeat today and we’d be in meltdown mode probably, so at least we’ve dodged that bullet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Swindon last season were top of all the attacking stats, but didn't get automatic promotion due to defensive frailties. Today's game suggests more of the same.
    They might have done without their poor start to the season when they were short of players. 
  • Absolute killer journey. Currently sitting in a cab back to Falconwood from Euston
  • JamesSeed said:
    Swindon last season were top of all the attacking stats, but didn't get automatic promotion due to defensive frailties. Today's game suggests more of the same.
    They might have done without their poor start to the season when they were short of players. 
    They didn't have a poor start to the season. They finished August in much the same position as they finished the season 
  • I’ve said it before about this squad…..mentally weak… score what should have been the late winner And give up an equaliser 1 minute later…New season….new manager…. Same old shit 
  • LoOkOuT said:

So, with 20% less possession Stanley had nearly twice as many efforts on goal that we did!

Not sure what to make of that….
    Launch ball into the box fight for second ball and shoot on sight. Efforts include those that hit the stand roof.  Ironically though their goals came from neat wing play not their hallmark hoof ball.
  • edited July 2022
    CBT was frustrating. He started the game and was unplayable. Playing on the left he can cut in and shoot but his end product needs work. Are we addressing this because surely it is worth it. I have seen he can shoot on you tube so why can't he for us? Also whatever Accrington did to solve the problems he was posing in the second half seemed to work. Or did he just tire?

The defence has new players so we have to see if it can improve simply through games. I want to see Inniss more of an offensive threat from set pieces as we know he can do this. Maybe Accrington are not the right team for this to happen.

In the second half Accrington upped their intensity and were winning more second balls. This has irritated me about us for a few seasons. Why do we not win more?

This new system is apparently an attacking one we are told so we should expect not to have half the shots of our opponents. Another thing to work on.

It is a big positive that Leaburn came on and looked so good. I got a bit emotional I must admit as his dad was one of my all time favourites. I was thinking how proud Carlo would be feeling at that moment he scored and there was a cross in he nearly got on the end of before that. It is still important the lad feels no pressure of expectation. 
  • WSS said:
    On a side note. Hope everybody got home ot making their way home from.Preston. Lots of cancelled trains and other fans going back to London.
    Currently at Crewe
    Hope you got home ok as with the others. I had to go to Lancaster and loads cancelled going the other way' but not as bad as you.
  • And I think we should all acknowledge that Clare is a defender who can play in midfield and not the other way round now. And he is a bloody good one too.