Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Accrington v Charlton | July 30, 2022

14567810»

Comments

• You also have to take into consideration that opening day games are very tough to draw conclusions from either way.  I wouldn’t spend too much time picking this, or the next few performances apart.  

I remember the starts under Peeters and Luzon, thinking we were playing some really slick football and knocking it around beautifully.  Both seasons for each manager proved to be an absolute shit show with Peeters inadequacies exposed by Jan of his season, and although Luzon had a bright start when he took over and the opening of the 15/16 season, it very quickly went to dog turd.  

Not saying it will go that way for BG, more so that getting down into the detail off the back of this and the next few games, might not say much about our season.  Also got to factor in who may still leave and who may come in.  
  • cabbles said:
    You also have to take into consideration that opening day games are very tough to draw conclusions from either way.  I wouldn’t spend too much time picking this, or the next few performances apart.  

I remember the starts under Peeters and Luzon, thinking we were playing some really slick football and knocking it around beautifully.  Both seasons for each manager proved to be an absolute shit show with Peeters inadequacies exposed by Jan of his season, and although Luzon had a bright start when he took over and the opening of the 15/16 season, it very quickly went to dog turd.  

Not saying it will go that way for BG, more so that getting down into the detail off the back of this and the next few games, might not say much about our season.  Also got to factor in who may still leave and who may come in.  
    What excuses the disappointing slumps back then a little bit more, is that they were a division higher.

Personally I'm not sure whether the slump after the good start under Peeters was down to him, or a small squad struggling with injuries. As for the following season, that was a lousy squad full of hopeless signings unsuitable for Championship football at the time.
  • We were ok.

I saw absolutely nothing that tells me that this a new team with new mentality.

Way too many mental weaklings survived the summer.
    Rubbish…..there was plenty to feel encouraged about, early doors but in the first half particularly we were putting some very nice passing moves together with a very pleasing number of crosses coming in from out wide down both flanks.
    We were certainly the better side…..not quite sure if it was Accrington improving or us lacking (a bit of both I think), but yes, we did come under some pressure in the second half, Innis was immense.
    Reluctantly have to admit a draw was a fair result but where was the marking for their second goal, when their wide man received the ball there was no one within 20 yards of him and he had plenty of room and time to think and work in.
    Finally, John Coleman is a loud mouthed bastard. He spent the entire game berating the fourth official (who looked about 15 I may add), at the top of his voice with more than a little foul language that anyone within 50 yards could easily hear every word.
    Pity he didn’t spend more time coaching his team….something which he did only sporadically.
    I have never seen a fourth official come under such a barrage of insults, I’m amazed he allowed it to continue.
    No way were the better side over the course of the match, when Accrington had twice as many shots and shots on target as we did. They dominated the second half.
    Did I say that…….I don’t think so k&f.
    Sorry, I misread the "We were certainly the better side" as meaning the whole match, rather than the first half!
  • Accrington away as the first game of the season was never going to be easy and in the end a draw was a fair result. Of course our hopes were lifted when Leaburn scored and at that point most of us would have expected us to see the game out. Equally I expect just about every Accrington fan would be disappointed conceding in 90+4 after dominating the second half but they did and that is football. But it is the first game of the season and there were positives, particularly in the first half, as well issues that need improving, particularly in the 2nd half, and time will tell whether that will happen or not but after one bad half of football now is not the time to become too judgemental one way or the other.
  • I didn’t go to the game but I am puzzled by comments on two areas .  Firstly , Inniss not being a ball player; you cannot make a centre half into a passing defender at his age and in any case, we have only ever had about 5/6 centre halves that ever been any good on the ball in my 30 years of going (Todd, Bougherra, El Karkouri, Sarr - there are probably more that aren’t springing to mind).  This is why I think the playing out from the back is doomed to failure, this season at least.

Secondly, Dobson not being any good in this system; again, there aren’t many Fabinho/ Rodri types around - players that are comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces and moving it forward with one touch.  In reality, all your defensive midfielder needs to do is to move the ball on quickly to the better players around them against weaker sides but against stronger ones, you do need someone to break up play.  Dobson isn’t that bad on the ball either . 
  • You've missed out the best one of all: Ben Haim
  • I don't think Dobson was that bad. Innis wasn't awful either IMO. O'ConnelI had a poor game and I don't know why an experienced defender doesn't stop the position for the second progressing, even by giving away a foul. CBT looked unplayable but with no end product. And I wanted to see this so called pressing side win second ball and pick up bits and pieces but I saw Accrington doing most of that in the second half.
  • We were ok.

Rubbish…..there was plenty to feel encouraged about, early doors but in the first half particularly we were putting some very nice passing moves together with a very pleasing number of crosses coming in from out wide down both flanks.
    We were certainly the better side…..not quite sure if it was Accrington improving or us lacking (a bit of both I think), but yes, we did come under some pressure in the second half, Innis was immense.
    Reluctantly have to admit a draw was a fair result but where was the marking for their second goal, when their wide man received the ball there was no one within 20 yards of him and he had plenty of room and time to think and work in.
    Finally, John Coleman is a loud mouthed bastard. He spent the entire game berating the fourth official (who looked about 15 I may add), at the top of his voice with more than a little foul language that anyone within 50 yards could easily hear every word.
    Pity he didn’t spend more time coaching his team….something which he did only sporadically.
    I have never seen a fourth official come under such a barrage of insults, I’m amazed he allowed it to continue.
    No way were the better side over the course of the match, when Accrington had twice as many shots and shots on target as we did. They dominated the second half.
    Yep
  • We were ok.

Sorry, I misread the "We were certainly the better side" as meaning the whole match, rather than the first half!
    👍
  • I think we’ll learn more about our chances when we play Derby than from that first game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    You've missed out the best one of all: Ben Haim
    Ah yes.  Gomez too 
  • I think we’ll learn more about our chances when we play Derby than from that first game. 
    I agree 
    Then the meltdown will kick in to overdrive 
  • edited August 2022
    Bit late to this as I had a bit of a long weekend, obviously not the result we wanted, especially after going 2-1 up so late in the game, but we can’t fault the effort of the players and a point on the road is not to be sniffed at. 

The positives:- 

cracking ground, love that you can hear the players and they can hear you, I was giving a few of theirs a bit of banter and they took it well 😂

Sean Clare, maybe I am biased but thought he had a really decent game. Made a lot of movement on the right and looked very composed

the first half, we were clearly the better side, we made slick plays, looked comfortable and scored a good goal. 

Innis, as much as I can’t stand his temperament, he is our best defender. Bloke doesn’t lose a header and if he does it cause he’s slipped or something and he looks fairly composed on the ball. 

Negatives,

Stockley, made some good passes, and a decent run to nearly score but my word, their centre back, number 16 had him on toast. Bloke won absolutely everything against Stockers and the only time he didn’t Stockley put his arm across his face. Also saw him put a good few tackles in, wouldn’t mind our scouts keeping an eye on him

the second half generally! They played like we expected, they pressed hard and went for quick attacks when they won the ball. I don’t think a single goal kick worked out for us?

finally and without singling too many players out. It’s a shambles to concede that late, certain players need to switch on and take one for the team. To drop 3 points on the last kick is unacceptable 

bonus; my cousin couldn’t make it so I brought along my partner, she’s been officially initiated and surprisingly wants to go again haha 
  • It's probably worth noting that last time we went to Accrington and lost 2-1 we only had 5 shots on goal, one of which was a penalty. And this was playing against 10 men for the last 30mins so season on season it is a definite improvement at least.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    Ah yes.  Gomez too 
    Paul Elliot
  • In the first 30 minutes we put in some good crosses didn’t we, but nobody there to get on the end of them? The way Leaburn took that goal at the end makes you wonder what would have happened if he had been on. I felt at the time we could have been 2 or 3 goals up. 

Things like that change games big time. That’s why we need a more clinical finisher up top. Leaburn does seem to have that natural ability to separate himself from the defender in situations like that. 
  • Rob said:
    In the first 30 minutes we put in some good crosses didn’t we, but nobody there to get on the end of them? The way Leaburn took that goal at the end makes you wonder what would have happened if he had been on. I felt at the time we could have been 2 or 3 goals up. 

Things like that change games big time. That’s why we need a more clinical finisher up top. Leaburn does seem to have that natural ability to separate himself from the defender in situations like that. 
    I remember 1 good cross to DJ and the rest were crosses that didn't find anyone so I wouldn't classify those as good.

The only decent ball Stockley had was the pass/cross from Albie that he should have scored.
  • kafka said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    Ah yes.  Gomez too 
    Paul Elliot
    Christian Daly
  • kafka said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    Ah yes.  Gomez too 
    Paul Elliot
    Christian Daly
    Harry Cripps?
  • Sponsored links:

• If we wish to be promoted we must expect to beat Derby having already dropped 2 points. Start of season is the most crucial time. 
  • edited August 2022
    Sorry missed some words out

I do not think it was the loss of three points that annoys most but how we lost them in the last minute 
  • ross1 said:
    I do not think it was the loss that annoys most but how we lost in the last minute 
    Did we?

• I know I shouldn't torture myself like this, but has anyone considered the feeling there would have been at Wembley if we'd done an Accrington right after Bauer's goal against Sunderland? It's so traumatic to think about it's actually hilarious
  • ross1 said:

I do not think it was the loss of three points that annoys most but how we lost them in the last minute 
    We only dropped two that we only almost earned two minutes earlier.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    ross1 said:

We only dropped two that we only almost earned two minutes earlier.
    I wonder if there are as many teams as Charlton in recent years who have been the victims of late, late goals ruining absolutely everything. In the Championship season we got done over and over by late goals. The ones at the end of the season are always more significant as the reality sets in, so the late Bristol City goal lingers less in my mind, but the absolute gut punch equaliser from Birmingham and the two late Barnsley goals (90+3, 90+4, 90+1) all taking place within 7 days of each other at the end of the season were completely insane, and that all contributed to us going down by 1 single point. The next season the Ronnie Schwarz peanlty miss (90+4) against Oxford and then the 90+6 minute equaliser from Crewe at the end of April saw us miss the Play-Offs on goal difference. The incredible difference changing just one of those results could have had on our fortunes as a club is immense. It would be interesting to see how many other teams have had their futures cut to ribbons in injury time as much as we have.
  • Its the price we paid when Bowyer agreed a deal with the devil as we approached injury time @ Wembley
  • For some reason I randomly looked at Accrington’s result today and noticed they came back from 3-0, and then 4-2 to salvage a 4-4 draw scoring in the 96 minute.

Feels like going to the ground with the team who had one of the best home records last season, and are know for battling to the end, is again going to be quiet difficult this season.