Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Accrington v Charlton | July 30, 2022

Comments

• Options
    So it seems Accy didn't miss Colby Bishop as they still managed to score 2 against us & then said striker scored on his debut for Pompey (from the highlights it looked to me like he got 2 but he's only been credited with one.

So currently my Bishop/Piggott v Stockley/Aneke is 1-0. 
    Didn’t score enough goals to win though did they Golfie?

Or does that criticism you aimed at us yesterday not apply to them?
    I'll be very surprised if we score 3 against Sheff Wed in 2 weeks time. 
  • Options
    Accrington results vs last year’s top six:

Wigan L (1-4)
    Rotherham W (1-0)
    MK Dons D (1-1)
    Sheff Wed L (2-3)
    Sunderland D (1-1)
    Wycombe W (3-2)

It’s hard to get a result there, for any team. There’s only club who made it look easy up there and they were the eventual champions.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I’m pretty sure Accrington won’t have as good a home record this season compared to last
    and we won’t have as shit a season as last either 
  • Options
    Accrington results vs last year’s top six:

Wigan L (1-4)
    Rotherham W (1-0)
    MK Dons D (1-1)
    Sheff Wed L (2-3)
    Sunderland D (1-1)
    Wycombe W (3-2)

It’s hard to get a result there, for any team. There’s only club who made it look easy up there and they were the eventual champions.

Means very little to be honest. Before the game, a point wouldn't have been the end of the world. After Leaburn scored, we should have won. You don't win the title or get relegated after the first game, no need to be dramatic either way but every right to be disappointed. 
  • Options
    It would be good to see the action in between Leaburn and Accrington's goal. How play unfolded as it looked a move that they put together rather than a hoof. 

It's clear that teams know to attack us late in the game as we will (more than) give you a chance to score.

It worries me, as shows that individuals in the team might not be hungry/focused enough for those 3 points at all cost.

• Options
    Looking at the 2nd goal, Innis instructed Dobson to follow the No19 (goalscorer's run), so he could marshall the 6 yard box, but Dobbo gave up.

O'Connell's body positioning suggests to me he's not comfortable playing LCB. We might have a problem in this area as the season progresses as Innis/Lavelle/O'Connell are not going to be light with their feet on the left hand side. It won't take long for teams/coaches to realise who to press for mistakes when you have 4 right footed players playing as part of your back 4.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    So it seems Accy didn't miss Colby Bishop as they still managed to score 2 against us & then said striker scored on his debut for Pompey (from the highlights it looked to me like he got 2 but he's only been credited with one.

So currently my Bishop/Piggott v Stockley/Aneke is 1-0. 
    Didn’t score enough goals to win though did they Golfie?

Or does that criticism you aimed at us yesterday not apply to them?
    Not to mention our own striker making his debut also scored.
    But I wasn't talking about Leaburn. I happened to mention on here a few days ago that Pompey were putting together a tidy squad & mentioned their front 2 - Bishop & Piggott. I once again got ridiculed with people saying that we are better off with Stockley & Aneke so I then pointed out that Pompeys 2 would probably score more than our (named) 2. Therefore just wanted to update the current tally. 

I dont mind getting stick on here but at least keep it to the point I'm making. Or does that not fit in with the agenda. 

It's a fairly pointless comparison considering Pompey will likely play most of the season with both up front, whereas the formation we play means we will only play one up front.

By all means compare Stockley's tally to either Piggott or Bishop.

Similarly our midfield and wingers will easily outscore Pompey's mainly due to the formation differences.
  • Options
    We were ok.

I saw absolutely nothing that tells me that this a new team with new mentality.

Way too many mental weaklings survived the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pleased with a point. Delighted for Miles Leaburn getting a goal on his debut. Glad the new season has started. That’s it. Onwards.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    It would be good to see the action in between Leaburn and Accrington's goal. How play unfolded as it looked a move that they put together rather than a hoof. 

It's clear that teams know to attack us late in the game as we will (more than) give you a chance to score.

It worries me, as shows that individuals in the team might not be hungry/focused enough for those 3 points at all cost.

Accrington Stanley on Twitter: "🤩 @Cody7_! https://t.co/Qn41dqWmKo" / Twitter
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/cafcofficial/status/1554052066699517953?s=21&t=u9odITed4nMRMKgWg7Ah1Q

Just goes to show how many long and high balls AS put into our box on Saturday. 
  • Options
    We were ok.

Rubbish…..there was plenty to feel encouraged about, early doors but in the first half particularly we were putting some very nice passing moves together with a very pleasing number of crosses coming in from out wide down both flanks.
    We were certainly the better side…..not quite sure if it was Accrington improving or us lacking (a bit of both I think), but yes, we did come under some pressure in the second half, Innis was immense.
    Reluctantly have to admit a draw was a fair result but where was the marking for their second goal, when their wide man received the ball there was no one within 20 yards of him and he had plenty of room and time to think and work in.
    Finally, John Coleman is a loud mouthed bastard. He spent the entire game berating the fourth official (who looked about 15 I may add), at the top of his voice with more than a little foul language that anyone within 50 yards could easily hear every word.
    Pity he didn’t spend more time coaching his team….something which he did only sporadically.
    I have never seen a fourth official come under such a barrage of insults, I’m amazed he allowed it to continue.
    No way were the better side over the course of the match, when Accrington had twice as many shots and shots on target as we did. They dominated the second half.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

A very nice footballing move, but poor defending. No pressure from midfield, Sessegnon in no mans land, Kirk nowhere to be seen, Inniss not tight enough
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Stockley with the abysmal attempt to close his man. Showed him exactly where to turn.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

A very nice footballing move, but poor defending. No pressure from midfield, Sessegnon in no mans land, Kirk nowhere to be seen, Inniss not tight enough
    Inniss was trying to do the work of two men there. Not his fault at all
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    mendonca said:

Inniss was trying to do the work of two men there. Not his fault at all
    There was only one Accrington player near him, the goalscorer. The 2 other Accrington players in the box were both being marked.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Misleading. Watch it in the frames before when he told Dobbo to follow his run (from outside the pen box), so he could marshall the 6 yard box. In fact he should have been aware not to let a runner run past you at will to get an attempt on target. He would have crunched him last season!

It's not CB's primary task to deal with managing their 6 yard box, a cross from the wings and a runner from midfield that our player has given up on tracking. Expected that from Watson, not these lads.

• Options
    Left side of defence looked vulnerable all game. O’Connell with one terrible back pass and got done for the first although Clare had no cover for the goal scorer. Second goal we had no one back wide left to cover the guy who crossed for the goal - should have been Kirk or Payne.
    Positives were our link up play and quality of final balls in for the goals - DJ and Stockley should have done better from two other good crosses.
    Overall a promising first competitive game under Garner so long as we tighten up our left side defensively 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    How different the comments would have been if we’d held on for the win. But we didnt so we are as shit as last season!!!, does make me think what world  some of our fans are living in.
    this - some of our football and passing was a world away from last season, early days yet, but I was pretty encouraged, few more signings in the right areas and who knows
  • Options
    mendonca said:

duh!
  • Options
    We were ok.

Rubbish…..there was plenty to feel encouraged about, early doors but in the first half particularly we were putting some very nice passing moves together with a very pleasing number of crosses coming in from out wide down both flanks.
    We were certainly the better side…..not quite sure if it was Accrington improving or us lacking (a bit of both I think), but yes, we did come under some pressure in the second half, Innis was immense.
    Reluctantly have to admit a draw was a fair result but where was the marking for their second goal, when their wide man received the ball there was no one within 20 yards of him and he had plenty of room and time to think and work in.
    Finally, John Coleman is a loud mouthed bastard. He spent the entire game berating the fourth official (who looked about 15 I may add), at the top of his voice with more than a little foul language that anyone within 50 yards could easily hear every word.
    Pity he didn’t spend more time coaching his team….something which he did only sporadically.
    I have never seen a fourth official come under such a barrage of insults, I’m amazed he allowed it to continue.
    No way were the better side over the course of the match, when Accrington had twice as many shots and shots on target as we did. They dominated the second half.
    Did I say that…….I don’t think so k&f.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    How different the comments would have been if we’d held on for the win. But we didnt so we are as shit as last season!!!, does make me think what world  some of our fans are living in.
    The real world. 
    A world where we are almost a permanent fixture in league one. 
    So forgive us for not being overjoyed at a point at Accrington Stanley. 
  • Options
    Like one of my deft pitching wedges 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    The real world. 
    A world where we are almost a permanent fixture in league one. 
    So forgive us for not being overjoyed at a point at Accrington Stanley. 
    I’m not getting the custard out over it, but 1 game FFS,with potentially more players to arrive. If people can come to a conclusion as to how our season will go from that, maybe BG should be asking them people for advice.
  • Options
    I agree they can't come to a conclusion. It could go either way for me and we shall learn more in the coming weeks or months. That works both ways though.