Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• Options
    Looks like Ange Postecoglou is heading to Spurs.  Personally don't think he's a terrible choice.

One thing about him is that he knows the Asian market very well.  Picked up some real gems at Celtic.  I know the standard is different, but I'm sure he knows a few in the Asian leagues that would be relatively cheap & can make the step up to the Premier League 
    Postecoglou could be a great appointment. The problem for Spurs is the way in which Levy seems to want to run the club.
    I'm feeling somewhat uneasy about it to be perfectly honest.
    But then again, I felt exactly the same way when Poch came.  But at least Poch had some experience of the PL.

I'm still not sure who I'd pick.  Or more to the point, who I'd pick that would want to come.

Is Ted Lasso available?

Someone play the Benny Hill music, its an absolute circus!
  • Options
    Looks like Ange Postecoglou is heading to Spurs.  Personally don't think he's a terrible choice.

One thing about him is that he knows the Asian market very well.  Picked up some real gems at Celtic.  I know the standard is different, but I'm sure he knows a few in the Asian leagues that would be relatively cheap & can make the step up to the Premier League 
    Think he'll be OK to be honest, but then I'm also slightly surprised that he doesn't think he might do better than Spurs as they are at the moment.
  • Options
    My own opinion is that appointing Postecoglou would be a disaster. Been managing a team that competes in a two horse race in a league that at best is on a par with our championship 

Big risk but Spurs look desperate 
  • Options
    My own opinion is that appointing Postecoglou would be a disaster. Been managing a team that competes in a two horse race in a league that at best is on a par with our championship 

I cant shrug that thought.  The problem he has got he will be under pressure from the first match.  If he had any sort of pedigree/experience, he'd have a bit of a honeymoon period.

If we start poorly, the already frustrated support (with Levy) will turn quickly.  Could have another Nuno on our hands.

But then, I go back to when we got Poch.  He wasnt my first choice so what do I know?
  • Options
    Can see him being replaced before Christmas and hardly the appointment to make Kane want to stay. I think even Lennon managed a couple of trebles when managing Celtic! 
  • Options

True but it's not as simple as that. He came in after a season in which they'd just finished 25 points behind Rangers.

Season before he joined they won only 22 league games and scored 78 goals.
    His first season they won 29 games and scored 92.
    This season they won 32 and scored 114.

He also won the Australian league and the Japanese league so whilst they're a vastly different level to the Premier league, he's been a success wherever he's been.
  • Options
    He's been a success everywhere he's gone. Spurs would be lucky to have him. 
  • Options
    Every legend falls
  • Options
    Damned United sequel writes itself
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is it even a two horse race?
  • Options

Looks like someone has nicked Sam's two rolls of carpet.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Fair enough... Makes sense... After all why wouldnt you want to implement something that can take away Human error

NEW: No automated offside system in Premier League next season - but 4 more cameras to reduce errors.
    UEFA and FIFA have been using automated systems in their competitions since last year. PL clubs want more tests however.

: https://t.co/CZ4nzjXZRU

— Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) June 8, 2023
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    More twitter nonsense. It amazes me how people can't use google.

They've been around for years, they were a sponsor of La Liga in 2017.

https://www.laliga.com/en-GB/news/sela-sport-comes-on-board-as-laligas-new-commercial-partner-for-the-middle-east-and-north-africa

And did this with the Saudi grand prix 2 years ago:

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/news/sela-announces-new-marina-and-yacht-club-ahead-of-saudi-f1
  • Options
    More twitter nonsense. It amazes me how people can't use google.

They've been around for years, they were a sponsor of La Liga in 2017.

https://www.laliga.com/en-GB/news/sela-sport-comes-on-board-as-laligas-new-commercial-partner-for-the-middle-east-and-north-africa

And did this with the Saudi grand prix 2 years ago:

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/news/sela-announces-new-marina-and-yacht-club-ahead-of-saudi-f1
    This.  They have been around since 1997, at least.  They are the company that runs the WWE shows in Saudi.

There is enough that stinks about to to not have to make stuff up about them. 
  • Options
    Aston Villa have signed Tielemans from Leicester 

Great signing for them... Would have expected Newcastle or someone to get him - Villa's form under Emery will be interesting to see next season 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Tielemans always looked class on the ball but his stats when out of possession with work rate, may have stopped the top European and English top 5 in going for him.
    Liverpool went for McAlister instead.

Aston Villa ended up having a great season in 7th heaven and this could be a great move for him and the club as long as there are water carriers in Villa's midfield.
  • Options
    Tielemans was pretty poor last season, which might also have been a factor in reducing interest from the likes of Arsenal
  • Options
    Leicester as a whole were dogshit last season, I'd imagine a lot of their asking prices would have dropped significantly since last summer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    James Maddison and Harvey Barnes are going to be their two biggest outgoings

Imagine their usual asking prices will be rock bottom now
  • Options
    Sounds like the Qatari's have got Man Utd, according to reports tonight.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    There goes their oil money argument!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    There goes their oil money argument!
    If you can't beat them....

Wonder how it works in the CL with PSG?  Though I guess if Red Bull can find a "we're different ownership, honest", Qatar can too.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Wonder if they'll be prepared to make a 'statement' signing this summer.

Mbappe has just announced he will not be renewing his contract so PSG either sell him this summer or he goes for free next summer.

Will Qatar sell him to Qatar?
  • Options
    Really hope that one of the big clubs eventually end up with the sort of Middle Eastern luck that us EFL clubs have had of late.
  • Options
    Would imagine this is a nail in the coffin for the competitiveness of the Premier league now that 3 clubs will have oil money.

City have 5 titles in 6 years and have finished top 2 in 10 of the last 12 years.
    United with Qatari money would have to seriously fuck things up to not challenge City now.
    Newcastle have already got top 4 and have only just got started.

Newcastle might take a while longer to build, as they're still restricted by FFP and cannot spend fortunes but looking further ahead it will be hard to see those 3 not nailing the top 3 places consistently. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Wonder if they'll be prepared to make a 'statement' signing this summer.

Mbappe has just announced he will not be renewing his contract so PSG either sell him this summer or he goes for free next summer.

Will Qatar sell him to Qatar?
    Think he genuinely wants to play for Real, childhood fan, still a big club etc.

PSG offered him such ridiculous money he probably thought pocket that for two years, I'll still only be 25 and can move to Real on a free then.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Would imagine this is a nail in the coffin for the competitiveness of the Premier league now that 3 clubs will have oil money.

City have 5 titles in 6 years and have finished top 2 in 10 of the last 12 years.
    United with Qatari money would have to seriously fuck things up to not challenge City now.

Newcastle might take a while longer to build, as they're still restricted by FFP and cannot spend fortunes but looking further ahead it will be hard to see those 3 not nailing the top 3 places consistently. 
    The thing is United don't need Qatari money to compete with City, they just need the owners to stop taking money out and and employ someone half competent to run the place.

Since the Glazers have owned United they have cost the club as much money as City have had put in.

Then you look at their abysmal record on recruitment and, importantly, player sales they don't need a massive cash injection. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

The thing is United don't need Qatari money to compete with City, they just need the owners to stop taking money out and and employ someone half competent to run the place.

Since the Glazers have owned United they have cost the club as much money as City have had put in.

Then you look at their abysmal record on recruitment and, importantly, player sales they don't need a massive cash injection. 
    They need it more on the infrastructure side - Old Trafford looks old now, and I imagine the training ground, academy etc is similar.

Glazers weren't funding any of that.