Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• Options
    As my friend said to me last night...

Maddison is a very good signing… like pulling a solid 8.5/10 blonde off the dancefloor and you've walked out feeling smug, waiting for a cab outside with her before the despicable <insert expletive of choice> you went to school walks out of the club with a dead set 12/10 supermodel on his arm being chased by the paparazzi.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Something I didn't know, which you may not have heard of either.

Apparently its standard practice now for personal terms to be agreed between player and a club BEFORE the buying clubs try to negotiate a transfer fee.  I always thought doing things that way round was tantamount to tapping up but apparently not.  
    I'm sure they would still need the selling clubs permission to do so. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Something I didn't know, which you may not have heard of either.

Apparently its standard practice now for personal terms to be agreed between player and a club BEFORE the buying clubs try to negotiate a transfer fee.  I always thought doing things that way round was tantamount to tapping up but apparently not.  
    The agents know a lot though I guess - buying club tells their agent that the player can go for the right price, let them talk to teams etc before discussing a fee.

Would be pointless two clubs agreeing a fee for a player that was never going to be interested in the move.
  • Options
    A measure of how much football finances have blown up in recent times.

In 2010 Gold and Sullivan bought their majority stake in West Ham for 86m. 13 years later the club sell a player for more than that.
  • Options
    Arsenal signed Havertz, United signing Mount.

Chelsea clawing back money they wasted in Jan!
  • Options
    Arsenal signed Havertz, United signing Mount.

Chelsea clawing back money they wasted in Jan!
    Over 200m of sales this month is some going but they had to get a lot of deals done by 30 June to fit them into the years accounting for FFP.
  • Options
    Can't help thinking that Chelsea have ended up letting go many players better than the ones they brought in for big bucks. Last summer they only needed a decent Number 9
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Rumour tonight that Ruben Nevez is going on loan to Newcastle for 2 years from the Saudi Pro League.

Thats one hell of a FFP loop hole that needs closing if that is allowed to happen.
    Saw this coming, definitely shouldn't be allowed. Although Neves and Tonali is a decent midfield boost
  • Options
    can't get my head around Arsenal signing Havertz, Chelsea must be pissing themselves they've found someone stupid enough to take him off their hands
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    can't get my head around Arsenal signing Havertz, Chelsea must be pissing themselves they've found someone stupid enough to take him off their hands
    It's an odd one, before Chelsea he was probably one of the most in form no10's in the world. He never really had a great run and only in spells for Chelsea, although i don't really get why Arsenal need him.

I am intrigued to how he fits into their system, whether he plays the key games or whether its for depth? Off a proper striker would be his best position, but Arsenal don't really play that way. It has been suggested they will play 4-1-2-3, which could work but i'd imagine if they are playing one of the top sides they would revert to 4231. 

Interesting signing, feels a bit OTT and pricewise silly but we'll see.
  • Options
    It's an odd one, before Chelsea he was probably one of the most in form no10's in the world. He never really had a great run and only in spells for Chelsea, although i don't really get why Arsenal need him.

I am intrigued to how he fits into their system, whether he plays the key games or whether its for depth? Off a proper striker would be his best position, but Arsenal don't really play that way. It has been suggested they will play 4-1-2-3, which could work but i'd imagine if they are playing one of the top sides they would revert to 4231. 

I've been discussing this with my Arsenal boss (yes, its fun in my office these days!)  Anyhow.
    He says it'll be a 4-1-2-3 with Rice as the 6 and Odegaard and Havertz and 2 hybrid 8s, with them interchanging into the 10.
    He says Xhaka is off and Partey is going Saudi Arabia and they're looking to bring in another box to box midfielder to fill in.
    He seems more excited by the prospect of signing Timber from Ajax because he reckons they'll have a proper back 4 then.
    Have to be honest, not seen anything of him to comment.

Have to say it, Arteta has done one hell of a job there.  To even get a player like Rice choosing Arsenal over the likes of City, he's move them up a level, back to where they should be.  The utter utter lego headed bar steward.
  • Options

Been more thab a few players to leave Chelsea after underwhelming there to go on and be brilliant elsewhere. Could see Havertz being one of those
  • Options
    Think Havertz is a decent signing - he's been decent when I've seen him (before this season) apart from the fact his finishing is crap - but if he's mainly used as an attacking midfielder not a false no.9 that's less of an issue.

Arsenal need a bigger squad than last year now they're back in the CL, and he covers several positions.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I've been discussing this with my Arsenal boss (yes, its fun in my office these days!)  Anyhow.
    He says it'll be a 4-1-2-3 with Rice as the 6 and Odegaard and Havertz and 2 hybrid 8s, with them interchanging into the 10.
    He says Xhaka is off and Partey is going Saudi Arabia and they're looking to bring in another box to box midfielder to fill in.
    He seems more excited by the prospect of signing Timber from Ajax because he reckons they'll have a proper back 4 then.

Have to say it, Arteta has done one hell of a job there.  To even get a player like Rice choosing Arsenal over the likes of City, he's move them up a level, back to where they should be.  The utter utter lego headed bar steward.
    First bit made me laugh btw. Yeah Timber would be a great signing and maybe another CB as i dont feel holding/ Kwior are up to Gabriel/Saliba standards. Yep thats what i meant by 4123, although would be a shame to see Partey leave but he does get injured a bit, also i could see Havertz/ Odegard combo against the weaker side, but feels a bit gung-ho against the tops sides. Although saying that the wing backs normally step inside so maybe that's the logic, interesting times.

Agree with the last bit too Arteta has done brilliant so far, hopefully they will be in the mix again... although i think it will be a lot tougher as in Champions league and other teams like Chelsea/ Liverpool won't start as bad.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

First bit made me laugh btw. Yeah Timber would be a great signing and maybe another CB as i dont feel holding/ Kwior are up to Gabriel/Saliba standards. Yep thats what i meant by 4123, although would be a shame to see Partey leave but he does get injured a bit, also i could see Havertz/ Odegard combo against the weaker side, but feels a bit gung-ho against the tops sides. Although saying that the wing backs normally step inside so maybe that's the logic, interesting times.

Agree with the last bit too Arteta has done brilliant so far, hopefully they will be in the mix again... although i think it will be a lot tougher as in Champions league and other teams like Chelsea/ Liverpool won't start as bad.
    Saliba is on another level to Gabriel.  Don't think Gabriel is nowhere near good enough, he looks like an accident waiting to happen at times and he got away with murder with a pen penalties appeals that got overturned.  Didn't he have a red overturned against him twice too?  Rob Holding, well, blimey, he's another couple of levels below them two.  But they've got Ben White and Tomiyasu to come back who can both play CB too.
  • Options
    Yeah you would hope Gabriel takes over the Rob Holding role of the bench CB. 

Havertz is a bit of a dodgy signing as you would assume that means the end of Smith-Rowe. 

Best signing a midtable Prem club could make currently is 30m on Smith-Rowe. Would say he's got the potential to be similar to Maddison. 
  • Options
    I think City losing Gundogan will bring them back closer to the rest next season 
  • Options
    I think City losing Gundogan will bring them back closer to the rest next season 
    Dont think it will make much difference.  They'll concede a lot less if they get Gvardiol in and even if they dont bring anyone else in, Foden will be getting more games.
    I'm fairly sure they'll bring a couple more in.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

The only thing with him is that he falls over a lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Saliba is on another level to Gabriel.  Don't think Gabriel is nowhere near good enough, he looks like an accident waiting to happen at times and he got away with murder with a pen penalties appeals that got overturned.  Didn't he have a red overturned against him twice too?  Rob Holding, well, blimey, he's another couple of levels below them two.  But they've got Ben White and Tomiyasu to come back who can both play CB too.
    Yep agree, Saliba is near world class, Gabriel is decent and stepped up in Saliba's absence but wasn't enough with Holding coming in. I'd like to see Ben White given a chance if anyone to come in and if they can get either Tomi back in or if they get Timber it would look a lot better. 
  • Options
    Yeah you would hope Gabriel takes over the Rob Holding role of the bench CB. 

Havertz is a bit of a dodgy signing as you would assume that means the end of Smith-Rowe. 

Best signing a midtable Prem club could make currently is 30m on Smith-Rowe. Would say he's got the potential to be similar to Maddison. 
    Yep bang on, Maddison is a steal and great signing. Also don't really understand what they are going to do with ESR, he's been out a lot but heard last year they were trying to teach him the number 8 role but now Havertz is in feels like even less game time. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    City joined the race to sign Rice
    about bloody time!  Please god dont let him go to Arsenal

There is no God and Rice is going to the Arsenal.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    One of the phone ins apparently had a 'play one, bench one, sell one' on Havertz, Maddison and Mount.

I think they're all good not great players so it's an interesting comparison.

Given Maddison is 5 years or so older I maybe sell him, then as Mount got PotY in 2 years from the 3 that Havertz was at Chelsea you'd have to see him as the better player of the two.

As United paid £10m less for Mount than Arsenal did for Havertz, he's maybe the best deal of the 3?
  • Options
    Chelsea are at it again.

Chelsea have signed Senegal forward Nicolas Jackson for £32m on an eight-year contract from Villarreal.

The 22-year-old scored 13 goals in 38 appearances for the La Liga side last season, including nine in the final eight league games.

"He is a young player with big potential," said co-sporting directors Laurence Stewart and Paul Winstanley.

"We believe he is ready for this next step in his career and look forward to him working with our new head coach, Mauricio Pochettino, and his Chelsea team-mates."

• Options
    They signed Kovacic though. Very experienced player who's won 4 champions leagues and played almost 100 times for Croatia and can play as a 6 or an 8.

If they go with him, Rodri and De Bruyne as a midfield 3, plus Stones pushing up, most teams will struggle to even get the ball.
  • Options
    Chelsea are at it again.

Chelsea have signed Senegal forward Nicolas Jackson for £32m on an eight-year contract from Villarreal.

The 22-year-old scored 13 goals in 38 appearances for the La Liga side last season, including nine in the final eight league games.

"He is a young player with big potential," said co-sporting directors Laurence Stewart and Paul Winstanley.

"We believe he is ready for this next step in his career and look forward to him working with our new head coach, Mauricio Pochettino, and his Chelsea team-mates."

Failed a medical at Bournemouth in Jan.  I'd laugh if they've given an 8 year contract to the Senegalese Chuks Aneke.
  • Options
    Hold on one darn mo, didn't FIFA or UEFA outlaw ridiculously long contracts like that after the last transfer window?!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Hold on one darn mo, didn't FIFA or UEFA outlaw ridiculously long contracts like that after the last transfer window?!
    They outlawed writing the transfer fee off over a ridiculously long contract for FFP purposes.  I think it's capped at 5 years now.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Liverpool signing Dominik Szoboszlai from Leipzig by all accounts - really good signing I think, been impressed when I've seen him in Europe and for Hungary, and only 22 still.