Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle | Tuesday 16th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    What’s the second half been like so far? Just got back to it
  • Options
    How's the defence looking?
    They're making some lovely daisy chains in the grass
  • Options
    MacG, Sessegnon, Inniss and Blackett-Taylor on the bench with two more subs to use if needed.
  • Options
    Seems like we are still in the dressing  room. All a bit flat out there. Just hope that Plymouth dont get 1 back 
    Fuck me - I reckon if someone gave you a real Faberge egg for your birthday, you would still find something to complain about 
    It doesn't fit comfortably up his arse.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    Scoham said:
    SDAddick said:
    Think Clayden has looked really good going forward too
    Agreed but he doesn't look like a LB, at least not at this point. And to be fair, he's not. Believe he's played exclusively as a winger throughout the youth teams and it's only been in the senior side that he's played at fullback. 

It does kind of remind me of Alfie Doughty, although I believe Doughty did play some fullback at youth team level. But when he came into the side it was as an emergency wingback/fullback. I don't think Clayden has quite the upside that young Alfie did, but he's shown there's something to build on there.
    What does a left back look like? If Clayden can grow in that position with his pace he could have a better career than someone like Purrington.
    If he can grow in that position, improve his positioning and one-v-one defending, then he'll be quite a good left back. I know you wrote this before I posted my last comment, but I would say he's simply not there yet. But with a chalk on your boots left footed winger, left back is a good option for him in the future. I just don't think today is the best marker given we've largely been on the front foot and spent about half the match to this point playing against 10.
    Agree he's not there yet, we won't know until he's had a decent number of games in that position, but I see the potential there. You can't learn to be quick but you can improve your defending.
    Same actually, I feel bad because I'm not trying to berate the young man. On the whole I've been pleased at how he's looked there in pre-season and the regular season. I wasn't expecting it because he's quite slight and hasn't really played there, but I agree, I think it's worth continuing him there in the cups. 
  • Options
    Kirk for CBT next please gaffer.
  • Options
    Clayden down the left but cross is blocked. Dobson tries to play the ball into Stockley in the area, but the keeper claims
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Question: Do we really need another LB with Clayden as an option?

Or is it just too big a risk
  • Options
    Seems like we are still in the dressing  room. All a bit flat out there. Just hope that Plymouth dont get 1 back 
    Jesus Christ. It’s literally 250/1 for the draw. Stick a tenner on it if you’re that worried.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

68' Argyle fashion a chance. Good run from deep from Whittaker, he tries to play Ennis through. The pass was blocked, but Ennis recovered it, and crossed to Jephcott, whose header was on target, but saved by Wollacott. 3-0
  • Options
    Says it all about Plymouth, and our performance when you hear their fans singing: "We've had a shot" 
  • Options
    We're definitely happy to not chase a 4th. 
  • Options
    Charlton fans claiming a penalty for a shirt pull, but the ref not interested. Lovely bit of defending from Lavelle down the other end, but Plymouth get the ball in, and Jephcott heads straight at Wollacott.
  • Options
    Honestly, what is wrong with you?
    We know by now if we won 9-0 golfie would be asking why weren't we ruthless enough to win 10-0.
  • Options

He's been very assured two games in a row. With him, Clare, Sessegnon and Egbo to return from injury, we don't need another full back as urgently as we all thought.

A left sided centre back to compete with Lavelle, Inniss and O'Connell would still be good though.
  • Options
    McGrandles running in treacle back there.
  • Options
    Now down the other end we have a corner. Clayden takes, Kirk tries to play across but eventually lino flags for a free kick against Leaburn.
  • Options
    Says it all about Plymouth, and our performance when you hear their fans singing: "We've had a shot" 
    Got to feel for them a bit. Bloody long way to come for this.
  • Options
    What’s the second half been like so far? Just got back to it
    Decent is the view of everyone but Who Else But Golfie?! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    McGrandles running in treacle back there.
    He's never looked the quickest whenever I've seen him for us... Might just be a fitness issue though 
  • Options

Yes!!!!!!! This is why I've been on about this, but playing against 10, and before that when we're on the front foot, plays to his strengths but isn't a good indicator of how he positions himself or defends. But he's young and learning a new position in a system that asks a lot of its fullbacks. We need another LB. Sess has had injury problems in the past and Egbo is injured. 

By all means, try Clayden out here and there, primarily in the cups. Maybe get him a National League loan to play at LB, but if one of our fullbacks got hurt and he had to play there regularly, I think his inexperience would really show. 
  • Options
    3-1.  We're doomed.
  • Options
    3-1

Great goal Whittaker.
  • Options
    Some things don't change:

Backing off, backing off, backing off, long range shot, bottom corner.

3-1
  • Options
    There you go.
  • Options
    1. 68'

Post update

Corner, Charlton Athletic. Conceded by Brendan Galloway.

• Options
    Here we go
  • Options
    Great goal tbf 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!