Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United | Saturday 20th August 2022 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Comfortable 2-0 win for us. 
  • Options
    COYR
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    Anyone know why I can’t see a match pass on Charlton tv for this? I’m in Spain currently and previously it would show for me. Do I need to change settings? 
    Did you re-register for Charlton TV in the close season, because if you didn't it could be that.

2-0 to Charlton.
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be surprised if Fraser misses out as he had an ice pack on his calf after the Plymouth game. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Play CBT at left back and Sess Right and that way both JRS and Kirk and keep their places too 
    I like the positivity, but CBT would be great going forward but can't defend.
  • Options
    Could it be "after the Lord Mayors show"?

OR

We are on a roll.

Being of a certain vintage I expect a good hard kick in the nads, however.

3-1 to The Addicks
  • Options
    Feel an uncomfortable 2-1 win coming on
  • Options
    2-0. Go 1-0 up first half and hang on and score late on to seal it. Stockley and Leaburn 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Interested to see if Razaki will start again or if he'll have his minutes managed. He looked a bit tired during parts of Tuesday night, but he was covering some ground tbf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Superb preview and thanks for train times too.

Cory Blackett and Riki Saki could be quite a combination. Almost feel sorry for the Cambridge full backs.

My first trip to the Valley this season and looking forward to it.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    After a blockbuster performance it'll be typical that this game is a real grind and a slog.

I'm anticipating a 2-1 win, or a 2-0 with our second goal being scored very late on to seal a hard fought win against a Cambridge team that will want to prove that midweek was a blip.

When the 24 teams in the league were finalized, there was a clear split in expectations between 12 that would expect a promotion push and 12 that would be happy for another season in this league. Agree with others that Cambridge fall into the latter and so this is a must win home game. It's one of a dozen and we have to target a minimum of 30 points from those 12 games.
  • Options
    Another bunch of useless stats - Including my favourite xG in the very first column :) - Cambridge are the fourth lowest in the League for total shots... Although having played (and beaten) Milton Keynes must have something to do with that, especially as they wont have seen much of the ball regardless.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Lavelle would be awful at right back and also doesn't fit Garner's mantra. I'd say you're more likely to see DJ there.
    DJ has covered there before (well he played RWB) and did well he's a better defender than CBT & Kirk but that's a low bar. 
  • Options
    Likewise, couldn't see Lavelle working at right back at all. Probably not in any system but definitely not in Garner's.

I think he's probably about 6th choice option for that spot, behind all four full backs (including Clayden) and DJ. If all five are injured we'd have a pretty serious problem because we'd have no left back either!

1 Clare
    2 Egbo
    3 Sessegnon
    4 Clayden
    5 DJ
    6 Lavelle
  • Options
    I had nearly forgotten about Egbo ! We must have bought him thinking he was a starter but I cant see how Clare hasnt cemented that spot ! It's a funny old game
  • Options
    Likewise, couldn't see Lavelle working at right back at all. Probably not in any system but definitely not in Garner's.

I think he's probably about 6th choice option for that spot, behind all four full backs (including Clayden) and DJ. If all five are injured we'd have a pretty serious problem because we'd have no left back either!

1 Clare
    2 Egbo
    3 Sessegnon
    4 Clayden
    5 DJ
    6 Lavelle
    I think we’d see Ness at RB before Clayden or Lavelle. If Clare is out I’d be very surprised if it’s not Sess at RB with Clayden LB. 
  • Options
    5-1
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see Cambridge come and do a job on us and take a point. 

A honest squad and very good young manager, it will be a very difficult game. 

1-1 - heads proceed to fall off in the post-match thread. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure where the goals are coming from. 0-0.
    True Charlton comment that mate, well done...  Glass just sitting there neither half full or half empty, just sitting there gathering dust being stared at.
  • Options

1 Clare
    2 Egbo
    3 Sessegnon
    4 Clayden
    5 DJ
    6 Lavelle
    Honestly Lavelle isn't even anywhere near 6th choice. He's ahead of only Inniss and Stockley at right back for me and I include every single youth team player on our books in this.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

1 Clare
    2 Egbo
    3 Sessegnon
    4 Clayden
    5 DJ
    6 Lavelle
    Honestly Lavelle isn't even anywhere near 6th choice. He's ahead of only Inniss and Stockley at right back for me and I include every single youth team player on our books in this.
    We don't have enough CBs to move Lavelle to RB anyway, with just 3 senior CBs, and one of those being made of glass!
  • Options
    At current with injuries it appears to be: 

Clare
    Morgan
    Sessegnon
    DJ

don't think we'd ever put Clayden at RB. 
  • Options
    3-1 Jayden, CBT & Jes 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    At current with injuries it appears to be: 

Clare
    Morgan
    Sessegnon
    DJ

don't think we'd ever put Clayden at RB. 
    Morgan was put there because of the situation, you don't seriously think he'd be ahead of Sessegnon? 
  • Options
    Saw this interview.
    The manager is impressive.
    Let's hope we see two teams on their game, no shithousery, and that we come out as winners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TOHHu03iio
  • Options
    If we do what we did on Tuesday - Pass, move, keep possession, look after the ball, get the ball wide, balls into the box - We should be too strong for Cambridge.

The standard has been set. We just need to maintain the standard