Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United | Saturday 20th August 2022 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    At current with injuries it appears to be: 

Clare
    Morgan
    Sessegnon
    DJ

don't think we'd ever put Clayden at RB. 
    I bet for at least, let's say 15 minutes minimum, Clayden does play right back this season.

We did that very early Pep at Man City thing in some of some  games where SS and Clare went either side of Dobson make a 3 and the two 8s went wide of their wingers to make a sort of 2 3 5.  That's how we scored the second at Accrington at the goal against Derby.

That's actually why Clare was where he was on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    At current with injuries it appears to be: 

Clare
    Morgan
    Sessegnon
    DJ

don't think we'd ever put Clayden at RB. 
    I bet for at least, let's say 15 minutes minimum, Clayden does play right back this season.

We did that very early Pep at Man City thing in some of some  games where SS and Clare went either side of Dobson make a 3 and the two 8s went wide of their wingers to make a sort of 2 3 5.  That's how we scored the second at Accrington at the goal against Derby.

That's actually why Clare was where he was on Tuesday.
    That’s what city do at the moment with Walker and cancelo. With De Bruyne and Gundogan either side of Haaland and then the wingers wide to complete the front 5.

I can’t see Clayden being used like that though, he isn’t reliable enough in possession. If he was at full back and we wanted to create that shape he would probably be high and wide as the far left/right of the 5, with Kirk/Rak Sakyi moving inside and then probably Morgan dropping alongside Dobson and Clare into that middle 3. 

Clare has picked up quite a few interesting positions this season. Garner has definitely picked up on him being good on the ball at RCB last season and using him as more of an inverted full back helping us keep possession rather than bombing down the flank. I would say Sessegnon (although right footed) has been playing more like a traditional full back than Clare. Overlapping Kirk/CBT and staying wide, only difference to the traditional role is him cutting inside in the final third 
  • Options
    Should win this and I have been a fan long enough to know that means we almost certainly won't!  
    3-0 Charlton anyway is my prediction!
  • Options
    Mother-in-law’s 90th birthday party, so missing this. 😩
    3-2
  • Options
    2-0 or 2-1 win
    not as easy as we’d have wanted 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    They will come to frustrate us, and sit back. Fans have got to stick with the style and method that has worked so far.. If the fans start getting on the players back, it isn't going to help! Patience is going to be key, we will need to draw them out, if we have long periods of possession with not much progress that will work in our favour, it will bring them out of position and lose shape, which will create space behind. 
  • Options
    Yeah let's not give Max anything to Bragg about on the Monday Pod. Charlton win, 3:0 
  • Options
    Comfortable home win. 4-0
  • Options
    I don't like this new Charlton, anything can happen, 1-0, 1-2 , 7-3 how the hell am I supposed to take the piss now.

Wollacott
       Sess Inniss O'Connell Clayden
             Morgan Dobson Fraser 
                   DJ Stockley Kirk

McGillivray, Clare, Lavelle, Mcgrandles, Payne, CBT, Leaburn 

2-1 win obvs 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't like this new Charlton, anything can happen, 1-0, 1-2 , 7-3 how the hell am I supposed to take the piss now.

Wollacott
             Morgan Dobson Fraser 
                   DJ Stockley Kirk

2-1 win obvs 

Leaving out JRS?
  • Options
    Teams always struggle after such a big win - especially/probably ourselves. We'll struggle to find the back of the net I reckon. 
  • Options
    I think we’ll see how well we can cope with ‘Park the bus’ opposition not for the last time this season.
  • Options
    Nah not getting jitters for this, we win this no probs.  

Same XI as preview, 2-0, goodnight.  
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Wollacott
             Morgan Dobson Fraser 
                   DJ Stockley Kirk

2-1 win obvs 

Leaving out JRS?

Yeah, thinking rotation and freshness, saying that, bye bye DJ.. get JRS in there.
  • Options
    Expecting a home win with the bonus of a clean sheet, 2-0.
  • Options
    I think we will win this but it will be a tight game. After our early showings I cant see many clubs coming to the valley to play open expansive football as they will be on to a hiding. I expect this week we will see if we can open up a team that is trying to keep things very tight at the back
  • Options
    There will a Liverpool type clause stating we play Rak-Sakyi.

They're loaning him for minutes and to make him ripe/robust for a season. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Wollacott
             Morgan Dobson Fraser 
                   DJ Stockley Kirk

2-1 win obvs 
    Surely CBT will start after he was rested midweek? And JRS?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think we will win this but it will be a tight game. After our early showings I cant see many clubs coming to the valley to play open expansive football as they will be on to a hiding. I expect this week we will see if we can open up a team that is trying to keep things very tight at the back
    I think this is where we will see Kirk come into his own.  CBT coming off the bench when the game opens up could be dynamite.

Away, against the better teams we could see both CBT and JRS start because it will pin their full backs back, giving us the extra man in midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    I think this is where we will see Kirk come into his own.  CBT coming off the bench when the game opens up could be dynamite.

Away, against the better teams we could see both CBT and JRS start because it will pin their full backs back, giving us the extra man in midfield.
    I think Kirk and JRS at home and then CBT and JRS away from home will work quite well. Should keep CBT fit if we are not relying on him to start every game. CBT and (eventually) Chuks to bring on against tired defenders will be fun to watch 
  • Options
    One or two players to be assessed, I would guess Clare is one of them.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/garner-previews-cambridge-united-clash
  • Options
    He mentions DJ as being available, so did he miss Tuesday with a knock rather than just being left out?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Hard to say who he'd have been on the bench instead of, but yeah.
  • Options
    He mentions DJ as being available, so did he miss Tuesday with a knock rather than just being left out?
    It appears so.  He still might not have been selected anyway, good isn't it.

I assume to second one is Fraser he looked like he took a knock in the second half.
  • Options
    Tough game this, hopefully we can carry the momentum over from Plymouth and get a solid win. 

2-0 Charlton (Stockley and Leaburn)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It appears so.  He still might not have been selected anyway, good isn't it.

I assume to second one is Fraser he looked like he took a knock in the second half.
    And Kirk got a whack just as the referee blew his final whistle!
  • Options
                      Wollacott
             Morgan Dobson Fraser 
                  JRS Stockley CBT

Love Clare but think Garner will rotate when he thinks he can or needs to. Could see Payne or McGrandles potentially starting as well.

Charlton 3 - 1 Cambridge
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Lavelle would be awful at right back and also doesn't fit Garner's mantra. I'd say you're more likely to see DJ there.
    If Clare is not fit, Sess will slide across and Clayden retain his place surely?
  • Options
    Pudds said:
    mendonca said:
    Lavelle would be awful at right back and also doesn't fit Garner's mantra. I'd say you're more likely to see DJ there.
    If Clare is not fit, Sess will slide across and Clayden retain his place surely?
    I reckon so.