Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread [+post p12]: Walsall v Charlton Athletic | Tues 23rd Aug 2022 (League Cup 2nd Round)

Comments

• Options
    A manager taking the cup seriously ?
    TS putting the pressure on hoping for a sell out against Leicester in the next round at £50 a ticket?
    Either way we wIll probably lose at home to MK Dons in front of 4000 in round 3 

But well done lads 👍
    I doubt any game will be a sell out, any decent team will send their reserves to play us, I doubt you will watching Kane, Haarland or Sala if we draw them. This cup has history for poor crowds. 
  • Options
    Genuinely delighted that we have finally got a manager who takes the cup competition seriously by playing a strong team with a good smattering of first team players.

I know there are many on here who will say why bother but it would be a huge tonic to this club if we went on a little cup run. Or even better if we drew one of the London big boys, Man Utd or Liverpool at home in the next round. That might even pay for a forward!
    Not sure how you get to that conclusion mate. We’ve made 8 changes tonight, giving a couple of kids debuts and run outs to players not even making the 18 man squad. And we did the same in the last round. 

We’ve won the games but don’t think Garner has gone into it particularly striving to win, more to give minutes and exposure. We have a history of fielding far stronger teams in cup competitions and losing games.

Anyway, irrelevant, it’s just nice seeing us win games!
    His comments before the game werent exactly of someone looking forward to the game either.

Complained about the fixture congestion and how the competition was a bit inconvenient
  • Options
    Nice away win and clean sheet. Exciting being in the hat amongst the big boys for once.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    "
    Charlton reached the Carabao Cup third round for only the second time in 14 seasons".

And we thought we didn't do Cups ........ (!)

If I recall correctly, there was a stat doing to rounds when we made the qtr final vs Wycombe that we had the 4th or 5th worst league cup record in the entire football league. Given we lost that match and have been pitiful in all cups since then I can’t imagine we’ve moved up the rankings very far. 

Making the third round is a huge achievement for Garner given out horrific record historically. 
  • Options

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

Whoever calls Chinn ‘Dicky’ is a dick.

Dicky is a traditional nickname for Richard. 

I thought everybody knew that? :smile:

Dicky Attenborough and Dicky Mountbatten were used as terms of endearment. Where saying someone is a Richard could be taken as an insult if you are a Londoner 🙄

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    "
    Charlton reached the Carabao Cup third round for only the second time in 14 seasons".

If I recall correctly, there was a stat doing to rounds when we made the qtr final vs Wycombe that we had the 4th or 5th worst league cup record in the entire football league. Given we lost that match and have been pitiful in all cups since then I can’t imagine we’ve moved up the rankings very far. 

Making the third round is a huge achievement for Garner given out horrific record historically. 
    "huge achievement" is a gross, gross overexaggeration. I'm delighted to be through and excited about the draw, but an achievement (let alone a huge one) has to be something that will be remembered. A 3-0 loss at swansea and by January nobody will even remember we got past r1

anyway, i don't care if we beat arsenal, united and liverpool in the cups this season, unless we win one of them (20,000-1?), the only achievement I am interested in is promotion and escaping from this cesspit
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Away match against a lowly team next round as we need to stay focused on the league and give the squad a game in case they have to step up for a League match. I would imagine that they didn't want to risk Alex Gilbey more for his opportunity to get a loan move than any other reason despite what Ben said. We all surely understand the politics of football by now.
  • Options
    Probably the most boring match thread ever, made worse by me now knowing a lot more about Andy Williams than I ever thought I wanted to.
    Andy Williams has of course sang about Sandgaard’s European dream.
    https://youtu.be/AV00cT5qWEQ
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    "

Since 1987, we've only been past the third round on three occasions.

01/02: Round of 16 (R4)
    05/06: Round of 16 (R4)
    06/07: Quarter-final (R5)
  • Options
    Genuinely delighted that we have finally got a manager who takes the cup competition seriously by playing a strong team with a good smattering of first team players.

I know there are many on here who will say why bother but it would be a huge tonic to this club if we went on a little cup run. Or even better if we drew one of the London big boys, Man Utd or Liverpool at home in the next round. That might even pay for a forward!
    Not sure how you get to that conclusion mate. We’ve made 8 changes tonight, giving a couple of kids debuts and run outs to players not even making the 18 man squad. And we did the same in the last round. 

We’ve won the games but don’t think Garner has gone into it particularly striving to win, more to give minutes and exposure. We have a history of fielding far stronger teams in cup competitions and losing games.

Sorry boss disagree!

Read what I wrote again. A strong team with a smattering of first team players.

And that is exactly what we had. With the exception of Chin and Ness I would argue every one of the starting eleven is a member of our first team squadl even if one or two are not playing regularly atm.

And when was the last time you saw a subs bench in the CC with 8 first team names on it?

If Garner didn't want to progress he would have done a Bowyer and picked a team of reserves and youth players. He didn't. I know what I read into that 
  • Options
    Probably the most boring match thread ever, made worse by me now knowing a lot more about Andy Williams than I ever thought I wanted to.
    I once saw Andy Williams playing cricket at The Oval. He was a major worldwide celebrity at the time. Turned out in full baseball kit with platform boots! The groundsman must have had nightmares!
  • Options
    Chin was excellent again tonight by all accounts.  

A very talented player
    Great to hear. A grounded, intelligent and driven lad too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I once saw Andy Williams playing cricket at The Oval. He was a major worldwide celebrity at the time. Turned out in full baseball kit with platform boots! The groundsman must have had nightmares!
    Caught at 1st slip off Darren Stevens
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I got so distracted by the fly that landed on Garner's head  :D
  • Options
    Another excellent post match interview from Garner.  Intelligent & insightful.  I really rate him!
    Spot on. Brings real insight.
  • Options
    Knowing our luck, we'll end up playing Spurs and Inniss will leave Kane out of the World Cup 
    He would have to do it in the tunnel though - wouldn’t get anywhere near him on the pitch.
    Kane wont be on the pitch if we get Spurs, they will play their reserves.
    As the 3rd round is 2 weeks before the WC starts I'd imagine any Prem players will be wrapped up in cotton wool.
  • Options
    Newport away here we come!
  • Options

His comments before the game werent exactly of someone looking forward to the game either.

Complained about the fixture congestion and how the competition was a bit inconvenient
    He's going to love the pizza cup starting next week then!
  • Options
    As for the draw, obviously would love a top 6 premier league team but anyone will do as long as it's not a team from league one. Can just see us getting Morecambe or Lincoln away.