Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread [+post p12]: Walsall v Charlton Athletic | Tues 23rd Aug 2022 (League Cup 2nd Round)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

Whoever calls Chinn ‘Dicky’ is a dick.

Dicky is a traditional nickname for Richard. 

I thought everybody knew that? :smile:

What a strange thing to say. Why on earth cant we call him Dicky?
  • Options
    The Walsall ‘goal’ was right in front of me, and mainly because the way the first half had panned out, and half time was approaching, and because we’re Charlton I immediately assumed it was a good goal…I saw it as being bundled into the net as it were.
    I was very surprised to see it disallowed.
    There is an ‘however’ however.
    Watching the highlights the speed with which the Walsall player reacted, almost before the goal was disallowed and he was booked, suggests to me that the player instantly knew the goal was ‘debatable’.
    Another interpretation was he protested the injustice of it all.
    Tough on Walsall who deserve respect for their approach which certainly didn’t betray their fans, but another consideration is that we would have had a half of the game to react and score (one or two?) ourselves.
    The decision influenced the game certainly, but didn’t necessarily change the eventual outcome.
  • Options
    367 away fans.
  • Options
    DJ has been inconsistent but it’s hardly surprising in the circumstances. He has got some ability and physicality and it’s up to him and the coaching team to harness and utilise that.

Although we look to be well stocked with wingers, Corey is injury prone, Kirk is inconsistent (and could even conceivably still be sold if an offer comes in) and Rak-Sakyi is a young lad, who could possibly be recalled in January.

Given our dearth of full backs, DJ’s ability to fill in there on either side could also prove useful, as injuries and suspensions mount up over the course of a long and hard season.
  • Options
    Struggling to remember DJ playing more than 1 or 2 consecutive matches since joining. Always seems to be in and out of the team. Hard for him to be consistent when he has a never had a settled space in the team.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We paid a fee for DJ and while I like him, sadly think he has no resale value. Most likely to leave on a free.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Don't think I want the nigels or even the spanners, we would play a weak team and get spanked in either. Id be quite happy with anyone else within easy travel distance for a nice cheap away day or another home draw of course. If we make the 4th round maybe then we could put out a strong team if we end up with a big draw. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    DJ took that goal like a forward - which is what he was before got wing back'd. I'd love to see him improve under Garner as he has some good attributes, but many that need refining too. 
    He's had a really weird time with us. Joined on deadline day under Bowyer, a manager who traditionally hates wingers and players who don't put their foot in and barely featured. Then Adkins came in, loved him, recognised his surprising ability to win a high ball and played him narrow close to Stockley. DJ played well for the rest of that season and then was positioned to be the main man alongside Stockley under Adkins. Adkins talked him up, he was front and centre in the kit launches, it was his moment. And then everything broke, every single player was terrible and suddenly Adkins was out. DJ then found himself playing right wingback under yet a new manager in a formation that started off clever but slowly became flatter and flatter until he went from being a winger on the ball and a wingback off it to a permanent defensive player, more often at LWB than he would have liked. Now he's in yet another new set up with players ahead of him and we're probably not playing the ideal kind of football for him. He should be able to adapt though, he's strong and can finish so he needs to work and add goals and he'll be a part of this squad. Seems like he's easily knocked off his stride and out of form, that's what he really needs to get a hold of I think
    He has a coach now with intelligence and vision and I would expect to see his game improve.
    To what extent is open to question.
    You can blame all the coaching, managerial changes, positional changes et al, but at the end of the day we have seen a lot of hanging on to the ball too long; making the wrong decisions in the final third; not seeing runs or teammates in space; minimal assists and goals.
    I see a player who can improve and in all likelihood will to some extent, but imho I don't expect to see him become one of the first names on the teamsheet.
    In all likelihood he will be part of the squad until his contract runs down and he is released on a free to Nonentity FC and rarely gets mentioned again 
  • Options
    I would just add 2 things to my above post.
    1. That was a good finish yesterday
    2. I really hope he proves me wrong
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching the highlights. It 100% looks like a handball for their disallowed goal
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Don't think I want the nigels or even the spanners, we would play a weak team and get spanked in either. Id be quite happy with anyone else within easy travel distance for a nice cheap away day or another home draw of course. If we make the 4th round maybe then we could put out a strong team if we end up with a big draw. 
    Spanners went out a week before we played QPR.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

Dicky Attenborough and Dicky Mountbatten were used as terms of endearment. Where saying someone is a Richard could be taken as an insult if you are a Londoner 🙄

Maybe in Cockney rhyming slang, sure we all know what a 'Richard the Third' is. 
    Surely that's not the inference here though.

But plenty of blokes christened 'Richard', use the monica Dick themselves, several people I know personally - and even former Charlton players, for example: Dick Plumb, Dick Tydeman, etc. It's just the traditional familiar nickname for Richard.

Maybe Richard Chin, whether he likes it or not, is known as Dickie Chin by his team mates at Charlton.
    Anyway, whatever.  :smile:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Olly's replacement off to a fantastic start...

Can't think of a better way for Olly's ex colleagues in the Comms Dept to make their point regarding his departure.....

• Options
    Crawley home or away next please. Let’s take on a bigger team in the last 16… Would be nice for a change!

Surely, you meant, "Let’s take on a bigger team in the final at Wembley?" :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

Dicky Attenborough and Dicky Mountbatten were used as terms of endearment. Where saying someone is a Richard could be taken as an insult if you are a Londoner 🙄

But plenty of blokes christened 'Richard', use the monica Dick themselves, several people I know personally - and even former Charlton players, for example: Dick Plumb, Dick Tydeman, etc. It's just the traditional familiar nickname for Richard.

Maybe Richard Chin, whether he likes it or not, is known as Dickie Chin by his team mates at Charlton.

Someone should tell Seth that no offence is meant to Richard Chin in being called Dicky whether by team mates or fans. Ask Chalky White, Nobby Clarke, Jumper Cross, or my  mate Big Willie.

'Seth, loosen up you Plum.'
  • Options
    It seems to me that Dick is an old fashioned abbreviation of Richard, dating back to the 50's and beyond.
    I may be wrong but its seems that Rich or Richie is the preferred abbreviation in the last 40 odd years.
    These things seem to go in and out of fashion though so I could be wrong. Usually am!
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Newport away here we come!
    Yes please, one of my few remaining grounds to visit.
  • Options
    It seems to me that Dick is an old fashioned abbreviation of Richard, dating back to the 50's and beyond.
    I may be wrong but its seems that Rich or Richie is the preferred abbreviation in the last 40 odd years.
    These things seem to go in and out of fashion though so I could be wrong. Usually am!
    We’ve got Dickie, Dickie, Dickie Chin on the wing, on the wing 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Oh dear.. who's doimg the youtube edits? Has a graphic of the charlton cambridge score, confused me for a moment until i realised the mistake
    Copy paste the last game, add the new video, nothing could go wrong. No need to even test it as its just a minute long.
    Nail on head with the "copy & paste" approach. TS probably has some back room staff member doing this on the cheap as expected.
    Probably Raelynn from her phone 
  • Options
    I used to have a colleague, an American tax partner called Rich Boss. He was a twat, should probably have been called Dicky Boss. As an aside we considered calling my son Richard and decided against because of the range of abbreviations. 

My then wife insisted on Rufus who now, aged 12 at Dulwich College seems to have picked up the nickname ‘Roofie’ which just goes to show how fucking clever we are eh?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Can't think of a better way for Olly's ex colleagues in the Comms Dept to make their point regarding his departure.....

Because Olly never made basic errors... 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Overworked and understaffed areas are always likely to make more errors, than those who have adequate numbers and support.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

Someone should tell Seth that no offence is meant to Richard Chin in being called Dicky whether by team mates or fans. Ask Chalky White, Nobby Clarke, Jumper Cross, or my  mate Big Willie.

I don't think 'Dicky' is offensive, just rather a uninspired adaptation of Richard.
  • Options
    I used to have a colleague, an American tax partner called Rich Boss. He was a twat, should probably have been called Dicky Boss. As an aside we considered calling my son Richard and decided against because of the range of abbreviations. 

My then wife insisted on Rufus who now, aged 12 at Dulwich College seems to have picked up the nickname ‘Roofie’ which just goes to show how fucking clever we are eh?
    Has he gone round the other children at school, offering to invest their money?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:
    seth plum said:

I don't think 'Dicky' is offensive, just rather a uninspired adaptation of Richard.
    We have no idea if he would find being called Dick or Dickie offensive, so why don’t we just play it safe and call him by the name his parents gave him.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Tbf those mistakes have been happening for the last few weeks, I do wonder how they cock up something like this when you have a chance to look it over before submitting. 

Top of my head, had Payne as welcome to Cheltenham I think, Sessegnon name wrong and in general a few graphic issues, really amateur stuff 
  • Options
    I know of a Rich Evil, its even funny if you know what he does for a living.